The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Nov 7, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #106 of 5,314
Nov 7, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #107 of 5,314
Load up your firmware of choice and go - Pisces will blow your mind one way or the other...
600x600bb.jpg

Q-6

Nov 7, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #109 of 5,314
The included cable with TA. It s special for a Sony Walkmans. If your have a TA,you must have it. Is for specific lateral walkman connection in TA

Best

Sisco

IMG_20201107_194143.jpgIMG_20201107_194032.jpg

Ahh perfect, thank you! Thought I had to get a bunch of adapters. Btw are you using Mr Walkman's DMP-WM1 II / custom firmware on your 1Z or the stock firmware?

Which areas do you feel is most improved with the amp? How's the soundstage, bass?

Nov 7, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #110 of 5,314
Ahh perfect, thank you! Thought I had to get a bunch of adapters. Btw are you using Mr Walkman's DMP-WM1 II / custom firmware on your 1Z or the stock firmware?

Which areas do you feel is most improved with the amp? How's the soundstage, bass?

Yes, i have installed DMP WM1 II

TA ZH1ES is better for Big Cans, Best dynamics, impact and Control. 200mw versus 1,2W.

Best Regards

Sisco

Nov 7, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #111 of 5,314
Yes, i have installed DMP WM1 II

TA ZH1ES is better for Big Cans, Best dynamics, impact and Control. 200mw versus 1,2W.

Best Regards

Sisco

Might be a stupid question but when I amp the WM1Z with the TA, what exactly is my WM1Z functioning as at that point? I read in this article here: https://www.audioadvice.com/videos-reviews/sony-ta-zh1es-headphone-amplifier-review/,
" When you connect the player to the headphone amp, all of the circuitry of the player is bypassed sending just the digital feed over to the headphone amp and its great internal DACs. "

Does that make the WM1Z just a really expensive storage unit or am I misunderstanding things?

Nov 7, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #112 of 5,314
Might be a stupid question but when I amp the WM1Z with the TA, what exactly is my WM1Z functioning as at that point? I read in this article here: https://www.audioadvice.com/videos-reviews/sony-ta-zh1es-headphone-amplifier-review/,
" When you connect the player to the headphone amp, all of the circuitry of the player is bypassed sending just the digital feed over to the headphone amp and its great internal DACs. "

Does that make the WM1Z just a really expensive storage unit or am I misunderstanding things?
No that's what the 1Z is in that case.

But once you undock it you have one of the best DAP's available.

Nov 7, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #113 of 5,314
You could use the line in instead of the USB cable, if you want to take advantage of the player's sound signature.

Nov 7, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #114 of 5,314
No that's what the 1Z is in that case.

But once you undock it you have one of the best DAP's available.

Oh damn, that makes me feel like I wasted a bunch of money on the WM1Z, like I could've just bought any old cheap dap then, I didn't really think things through...

You could use the line in instead of the USB cable, if you want to take advantage of the player's sound signature.

Ahh okay, I think this is what I am hoping for the amp to do, build on the 1Z's signature. How do I connect it? Is this the right cable connection? https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-100665-6-Feet-3-5mm-Stereo/dp/B001V5VCNM

Nov 7, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #115 of 5,314
Yep, that's the one :)

Nov 7, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #116 of 5,314
Yep, that's the one :)

Awesome! I just got my 4.4 balanced cable for the 1z so currently burning both in. After that I plan on getting your dmp-wm1 ii firmware, which I'm sure will be fantastic and heard nothing but praises for it.

So to backtrack a bit, if I were to use the line in of the TA, that would further improve upon the dmp-wm1 sound signature where as if I used the usb, it would be a completely different sound signature? The holographic soundstage is one that I am most looking forward to so I will definitely want to keep that.

Having said that, do you have any idea how the sound from the USB vs line-in would compare, which would be quote unquote "better"? Thanks again

Nov 7, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #117 of 5,314
Via USB, the player only acts as a transport for the music data, so zero processing is done to it. All the processing is done by the TA.

In order to amplify the 1Z sound (as you want), you would need to use the line in input of the TA, to get everything, like the holographic soundstage for example.

Nov 8, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #118 of 5,314
Oh damn, that makes me feel like I wasted a bunch of money on the WM1Z, like I could've just bought any old cheap dap then, I didn't really think things through...

Ahh okay, I think this is what I am hoping for the amp to do, build on the 1Z's signature. How do I connect it? Is this the right cable connection? https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-100665-6-Feet-3-5mm-Stereo/dp/B001V5VCNM
You have some high end gear there and that cable is fairly low quality, you might want to look into something with a higher quality construction to avoid degrading the sound. Audioquest are a good brand, I just bought their Evergreen 3.5mm to RCA cable which is one of their lower priced options although you may get quality for a lower price.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #119 of 5,314
You have some high end gear there and that cable is fairly low quality, you might want to look into something with a higher quality construction to avoid degrading the sound. Audioquest are a good brand, I just bought their Evergreen 3.5mm to RCA cable which is one of their lower priced options although you may get quality for a lower price.

Yea I def won't get something that low quality, it was just something I randomly searched up in the spur of the moment. I will look into Audioquest. I was considering one of the cables from moon-audio: https://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-portable-interconnect-v3.html since I've had some of their cables before and liked it.

Nov 8, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #120 of 5,314
Yea I def won't get something that low quality, it was just something I randomly searched up in the spur of the moment. I will look into Audioquest. I was considering one of the cables from moon-audio: https://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-portable-interconnect-v3.html since I've had some of their cables before and liked it.
I just thought I'd check as people have a tendency to save on the peripherals. Good choice, I've seen their name mentioned many times for high end headphone cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back