the confession thread (has this site tainted you?)
Sep 10, 2010 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

K-MONEY

Banned for flipping
I know before I got here I was normal (I say that because at one point, I almost lost my mind as this became an addiction, but thankfully I got myself together)...I had other things on my mind. Headphones became a habit. I think about head-fi when I get home and pretty much check the site every day just to see what people are saying from day to day...I would on average check sites that keep me on track or keep me well-versed every day, so I guess head-fi isn't that bad considering I love technology. I wouldn't call it an obsession, I just think it's another routine in my life. However, this could turn into a bad tradition for many if they lose their minds and end up with a broken wallet because of this forum. From reading, I see it has happened to many. Therefore, this leads me to a few questions to everybody who is interested in taking the time to answer:

• Does anyone have a confession to make?
  • Has this site changed you? If so, was it for the good or the worst?
  • Are you now an addict or just a person who likes to experiment?
  • Are you more knowledgeable in this field now or do you mainly still go by reviews and what people recommend? Can you decide for yourself now?

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 12
1- Nope
2- Yeah, since i joined here i became addict to headphones and sound quality. Sometimes i dont have enough budget to buy what i want though...
3- Yes, i consider myself an addict
4- I have learned lots, i have some knowledge...but im still learning towards different brands...and i do decide for myself. 

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #3 of 12
It's definitely a big habit, but I probably don't spend nearly as much money on headphones as most people here.

My biggest regret is that early on in the year I went through about a dozen pairs of headphones. Most of them were returned. I probably ended up spending a ton of money just on return shipment fees! Trying too many headphones out all at once is the most annoying thing really. I also still feel guilty about driving 2 hours for a pair of cheap headphones. That's probably nothing compared to some of the stories people have here. I find it really funny how my favorite headphone turned out to be some cheap one at a local big box store. Who would have thought that...

My own mother often jokes about how I have too many headphones and how I always need another pair.

I think what I always do is try to find a pair with MY perfect sound signature. Nearly everything I want when it comes to a headphone. At the same time I also want a perfect fit, so this makes it twice as difficult and expensive. So far i'm close to having my perfect pair of headphones. I've also determined that price doesn't always mean better sound quality.

Right now i've found what is my perfect IEM and i've stuck with it over the years and have had no desire to try much else that's an IEM.

My addiction did come though when I wanted to find a headphone that sounded similar to the Triple Fi 10. That was difficult! I've found of course that almost no headphone can sound like an IEM, but maybe close.With an IEM I always feel as if i'm closer to the stage etc. Probably just because I'm shoving a tiny speaker up my ear.

People's opinions and hearing on here is so varied. I don't trust everyone's opinion or review, but like to do a ton of research myself before buying something. I try to only buy items that sound like they'd meet my preferences. Anytime I hear LOTS of people calling a specific headphone "harsh" I will most likely stop right there though! Sometimes there are frequent posters on here who's judgement you can trust because you have this idea that they like similar headphones that you do. This is rare though.

I've found that often people will describe a headphones sound that's completely different then how I hear it. I've seen this dozens of times, so it's really strange. My hearing isn't perfect, but I think it's just that everyone's hearing is not the same, so not everyone can agree that one specific headphone is good. If people hate my favorite headphones, it doesn't bother me unless they are rude and calling them "garbage" or not worth $1. Luckily people on here are intelligent enough not to do that much. I love it when people are not afraid to criticize their favorite headphones if it has a weakness or just something that's not perfect. People say there is no perfect headphone, but I think there can be!

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

• Are you more knowledgeable in this field now or do you mainly still go by reviews and what people recommend? Can you decide for yourself now?

1. I've considered shelling out $3000 for a K1000 or HP1000 based rig even though I'm in college.

2. Yes. Both.

Okay I'll elaborate. In one sense I've discovered a much better sound than your average consumer has access to, however, I was happy before listening to my poor quality earbuds. I guess ignorance is bliss to a degree. I will say that since I purchased a decent setup, my music listening has gone up a lot and I'm broadening my collection and looking for new music more actively which I feel is a good thing.

3. Both unfortunately which is what makes this so expensive. The want to experiment coupled with being somewhat obsessive compulsive (I get it from my dad) don't give me much hope.

4.Yes definitely more knowledgeable. Starting out here I couldn't have told you anything about how a particular can sounds just bass goes boom. Now my listening skills are much better but still by no means perfect.

I've decided the majority of my purchases myself save one. I do read reviews to see what the general consensus (and the opinions of a few members who hear similarly) is but it's mostly trial and error as no one hears the same. Buy, try, sell, repeat.

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 12
I plead the Fifth.
redface.gif

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 12
I have nothing to admit that I haven't spilled out in posts for the last few years.

This place is valuable, but more for meeting people and conversation than for the gear. Meets are the best part.

I've never spent much time on reviews. That's not a knock on the reviewers, but I don't know what I'll like until I try it. Instead, I spend more time reading technical information from the people who really know their stuff. That, to me, is a lot more valuable than knowing what someone thinks about how a piece of gear sounds.

Sep 11, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 12

I am a huge impulse buyer.

Unfortunately, this site has made me an even more impulsive buyer XD However, it has broadened my musical tastes considerably.

Both, when I see a set of headphones, not only do I buy them, but I buy a whole bunch of comparable ones to see how they stack up. The past week, I've probably spent 6000+ on audio. Feels bad, man.

I still mainly go by reviews and what people recommend.

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #10 of 12
Does anyone have a confession to make?

I am actually pretty satisfied with my rig right now. Doesn't mean I don't have any urge to upgrade and try other equipment, but I don't have a really strong urge. As a jobless college student, this is a good thing.

Has this site changed you? If so, was it for the good or the worst?

Oh, definitely. Overall, it's probably for the better.

Are you now an addict or just a person who likes to experiment?

I wouldn't say I'm an addict. I've been through many pairs of headphones, amps, etc, but I've always done my research before making purchases. I haven't really bought anything just because. Either it's to satiate my extreme curiosity regarding something or because it seems like it fits my preferences.

Are you more knowledgeable in this field now or do you mainly still go by reviews and what people recommend? Can you decide for yourself now?

I'm much more knowledgeable now. Of course, I still do consider reviews and recommendations by others because I just don't have the money to try everything out.

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #11 of 12
1.  I have a fairly strong grasp on my tastes in regards to amps, full size headphones, encoding, etc, so; I don't see myself as the type of person who will have to buy, sell, and trade multiple times(losing a lot of money in the process), but I for whatever reason cannot get my head around IEMs.  I find myself constantly updating a list of 4-5 iems that I want....I only really want one or two but for the life of me I can't narrow it down.  Research helps, but I am reluctant to try out a lot of iems because of the money I will lose finding the right pair.  Income isn't the problem, but I have an odd mix of OCD and am very susceptible to buyer's remorse if not satisfied...and I am paranoid enough that I rarely buy or sell online if I can help it.

2.  Absolutely.  When one spends a decade listening to 128kbps music through $15 headphones and cheap desktop speakers it is very, very easy to lose one's interest in music.  After taking some advice from this site and upgrading a bit I find myself listening to music more in a day than I used to in a month(car listening aside).  In short order my musical tastes have broadened dramatically.  For example, I have several electronica/rock albums, that friends recommended, which I never enjoyed before, but with proper rips and headphones I now find this may very well be my favorite genre.  This whole experience has me thinking, "I never liked blues, jazz, or classical, but I wonder how I would feel now?  I know I have never heard the aforementioned genres the way they were meant to be heard."

3.  I would say more of an addict than an experimenter.  Experimentation implies trying many different pieces of equipment of the same category and I know if I forked over the cash for 10 different headphones I would feel that 8 of those headphones cheated me out of money.  I am an addict because I want the perfect sound and, like an addict, will cheat the system to get what I want.

4.  Far more informed.  Going back to my answer in question one, I do still frequent reviews from the iem side and at first will have to rely upon the opinions of others until I get a firm grasp on what I really need out them.  I took advice for full size headphones when I first joined the site and luckily my decision/their advice was spot on; this means that I now have my own reference and don't need to fret as much over other people's opinions in this category.

P.S.  For anyone that reads this post and says, "sorry about your wallet," I would say get a healthy dose of motorcycle addiction and tell me how your checkbook feels. :)

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:

1. I shouldn't buy so much products online just because I own a creditcard with enough funds in my account.
The stuff I buy is cool (obviously) but half of the time I could do without.
I will soon start with collecting all bills and receipt tickets for the rest of the year.
That way I actually realize how much and on what I spent my money.
I became an impulse buyer and I want it to stop.
I am thinking of buying the Earsonic SM3 but first I will try to be satisfied with my Sony MDR V6 with the Beyer DT 250 Pads.
If I feel the need to get the Earsonic SM3 I will first save up for it instead of buying it directly. 

2. This site has changed me for the good. I got (re)aquinted with how proper people discuss things. This is totally different at other forums I visit. 

3. I don't consider myself a headphone addict at all. I do enjoy good sound but I am quite sure I don't belong to the group ''audiophile''. Before I got decent in-ears I found the stock ear buds from iPod pretty good. But they hurt my ears after a long listening session so that's where I decided to get other audio equipment. Oh boy was I surprised by the sound of my new in-ears. From that point on I was triggered looking/reading about good sounding headphones and IEMs. 

4. I have a little more knowledge about how headphones work. Before I came to this site I didn't know each headphone has it's own ''sound signature'' and a graph that goes with it, which will (apparently) tell you a lot up front.  I still go for reviews but now I first look on head-fi instead of other review sites. I tell other people about head-fi and tell them the stock earbuds from Apple are utter crap! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back