THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Apr 17, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #3,062 of 3,195
Thanks to @Uncle Wilson from Jaben SG, I have had the store demo unit of the Composer for a few weeks now. Initially, I was listening to the Composer out of my DAPs, as I was having a stay in hospital. Then, when I got home, I could listen to the Composer off my desktop rig. :)

I have included below the unboxing photos. As you can see, the Composer comes in a nice packaging. And it is a well built pair of headphones. There are echoes of how I feel every time I pick up my AKG K812Pro. Same sort of solid build which inspires confidence.

As for the sound signature of the Composer, I would put it down as very much a reference sound signature. It is pretty neutral. However, I have to agree that the sub bass of the Composer does hit very low and hard. The Composer does not have much in terms of colouration in its presentation. If the music is well mastered and recorded, you will be accordingly rewarded. If you are looking for a pair of HPs that will convey the layering, the details and the soundstage, then the Composer is for you. In that sense, it is an impressive pair of headphones at this price point.

The other thing I will say about it is this: whilst it will be driven nicely with a DAP, it really scales up with better sources and more driving power from a desktop rig. In that sense, it reminds me of the Utopia. Ditto for the HD800S.

I will say that the Composer is a very creditable flagship from the team at Austrian Audio.

If you are based in Singapore, you are in luck as Jaben SG has a demo unit. :)

IMG_3993.jpeg
IMG_3996.jpeg
IMG_3997.jpeg
IMG_4156.jpeg
IMG_4016.jpeg

Apr 17, 2024 at 5:05 AM Post #3,063 of 3,195
and I thought we were already there.

That's who we are...but without you 😉

NOMAX

PS.I'm sure you'll find something else to get you there 👍

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #3,066 of 3,195
... and Gabalier from Austria .
For Gabalier you need only a cheap headphone buy'd in the next shopping centre - which lie next to fruit, vegetables and drinks in rummage boxes :relaxed::relaxed::smiling_imp:

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #3,067 of 3,195
For Gabalier you need only a cheap headphone buy'd in the next shopping centre - which lie next to fruit, vegetables and drinks in rummage boxes :relaxed::relaxed::smiling_imp:
Actually I'd prefer these earpieces near Gabalier:
temp3m-e-a-r-ultrafit-gehrstoepsel-uf01000-detail.jpg

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #3,069 of 3,195
@Kiats , thanks for your report and the nice photos.
Like it , when people write " In that sense, it is an impressive pair of headphones at this price point." Because that was my first impression too. Resolve seems to be one of the last ones to find it to expansive.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #3,070 of 3,195
Apr 18, 2024 at 2:20 AM Post #3,072 of 3,195
Anyone had a chance to do a listening comparison between the Composer and Empyrean II yet? The latter just doesn't seem to be getting much conversation since the initial release. I'm just curious whether these two sets should even be mentioned together beyond them being in the same general price bracket.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:37 AM Post #3,073 of 3,195
IMG_0550.jpeg

Woom Woom Sounding❓
(Other Head Fi Member was sending me this funny picture 🤪)

IMG_0552.jpeg

IMG_0548.png

Empyrean 2 with Alcantara is even brighter than Composer
(There was also an even brighter version of Composer that went in this direction😝...I gave it a clear no 👎in the beta tests last year)

IMG_0546.png

NOMAX

PS.Personally, if I were to choose one of the two ear pads on the Empyrean 2, it would be the Alcantara/Suede Pads....more realistic this performance
As always, Anto & Mircea receive high praise from me for their design/construction work 👍
❗️Listen for yourself and compare directly with your own ears ❗

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 4:34 AM Post #3,075 of 3,195

Users who are viewing this thread

Back