THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Apr 15, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #3,046 of 3,199
We discussed that some time ago, but to me the subbass presentation of a dynamic driver is in most cases preferable to planar bass. Only exception for me are Dan Clark’s planar drivers, all others are not to my taste.

And chasing extra low distortion in very low bass doesn’t help much since the ear isn’t that sensitive to distortion there anyway. Plus I think that most music is mastered with dynamic drivers as a reference, taking that distortion into account.
In the bass range, it was realised several years ago that certain harmonics give the listener the impression of a powerful low bass without the fundamental being transmitted at a sufficient level. The human hearing system (human brain) calculates this fundamental wave itself.
This effect was even created artificially in the early years of hi-fi.

PS: I hope my translation is clearly understandable.

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #3,047 of 3,199
Running my composer with woo mini tube. It’s a surprisingly good listen, large sound. though it introduce some sibilance to me hmm.IMG_3043.jpeg

I am very happy to listen Composer with Austrian.Audio Full Score one.
An amplifier that acts "inaudibly" - "a piece wire with gain!"

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #3,048 of 3,199
It sounds very well out of my Artemis amp which is SS but pure Class A warm.
A class solidstates can be really very "tubey" sounding. I sold an OTL tube amp a few months ago for a class Aune S17Pro, which imo is clearly more tubey and more relaxed, but anyhow detailed enough. And one can drive difficult loads with A class headamp without concerns of that the amp has to struggle so hardly, because it works full throttle all the time and possibly gets really hot also (good in winter time, not so in summer). What this means for A class amps lifespan, I'm not sure. Anyhow Aune works really nice with Composer, which seems to be such an omnivorous austrian!

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #3,049 of 3,199
In the bass range, it was realised several years ago that certain harmonics give the listener the impression of a powerful low bass without the fundamental being transmitted at a sufficient level.
:thumbsup:
Back in the 80s my little Celestion SL6S's did that where one would get that proverbial kick in the chest by emphasizing 60hrz base signal, put my much larger Advents to shame.
Sub-base which is more felt than heard was introduced with my 1st Velodyne, no more looking back at subless setups since then. :relaxed:

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #3,050 of 3,199
I had a chance to compare to my atrium open in the past one hr. I think the composer can really duke it for the best in dynamics headphones.

If Atrium Open was Hot Chocolate, Composer is the kinda like Coke. Brighter, sparklier but still sweet and enjoyable,

Apr 15, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #3,051 of 3,199
In the bass range, it was realised several years ago that certain harmonics give the listener the impression of a powerful low bass without the fundamental being transmitted at a sufficient level. The human hearing system (human brain) calculates this fundamental wave itself.

PS: I hope my translation is clearly understandable.
I know what you mean. The trick that small speakers employ to simulate bass…

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #3,052 of 3,199
so i managed to briefly audition the Composer at CanJam SG and I'm seriously considering stretching my budget to acquire one in the near future. i need to factor in budget for a headphone amp worthy of it, and while the full score may be incoming to the local market soon, i wonder if there may be other options that may be more versatile with a wide range of headphones. currently i have shortlisted the Violectric HPA-V222 and Cayin HA-2A and wondered if anyone has opinions on either of these choices to match the Composer?

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #3,053 of 3,199
so i managed to briefly audition the Composer at CanJam SG and I'm seriously considering stretching my budget to acquire one in the near future. i need to factor in budget for a headphone amp worthy of it, and while the full score may be incoming to the local market soon, i wonder if there may be other options that may be more versatile with a wide range of headphones. currently i have shortlisted the Violectric HPA-V222 and Cayin HA-2A and wondered if anyone has opinions on either of these choices to match the Composer?
While I’ve not heard the combination so far, I can imagine that the slightly warmer sound of most Violectric amps would pair well with the Composer. Looking forward to try that out myself at High End in Munich next month

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #3,054 of 3,199
I have listened Cayin Ha-3a and Violectric v340 with Composer and imo they are both very good amp options with austrian. I think v222 might be a bit more tubey like compared to v340.
Composer is so neutral, that it simply sounds very good with different kinds of amps and DAPs. Tube bass is a bit rounder and solid state a bit more articulate. V340 is perhaps a tiny bit more detailed and Cayin a bit more immersive. As a tube fan I would propably choose Cayin, anyhow I bought Violectric especially Composer in mind. Hopefully you get something out of this. And, Composer isn't at all gatiguing with Violectric in my ears.

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #3,055 of 3,199
As I already mentioned in the thread, the Composer is doing very well, the tubes touch...

Both the Cayin HA 3A and the Ibasso PB5 make an exceptional combination

IMG_2484.jpeg
IMG_2491.jpeg

Best Regards

Sisco

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #3,056 of 3,199
I'd like to make another vote for tubes. I run the composer off a icon audio mk11. It gives the composer nice weight and warms it slightly. I am sure the cayin would be a great solution.

And to be a naysayer, I find the violetrics amps kind of expensive for what you get, though they do sound good. If I am going solid state, I would prefer a discrete class A amp. You don't need much power for the Composer to sound good.

Apr 16, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #3,057 of 3,199
Those who already have their amps and daps...I recommend one thing....just enjoy your tracks with the Composer for the next few months 👍......
This will save you time and money for the upcoming summer 🤘😎✌️

NOMAX

PS.......until the right time comes and you get what no cable/no dac/no amp can offer you 😉

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #3,058 of 3,199
Those who already have their amps and daps...I recommend one thing....just enjoy your tracks with the Composer for the next few months 👍......

NOMAX

PS.......until the right time comes and you get what no cable/no dac/no amp can offer you 😉

That's what's exciting and interesting about our hobby.....Especially when you didn't think it is possible that a different way can also impress 👍💪👍💪
(.....and with one of the two ways the Composer will convince the listener 😉)

NOMAX

PS.like I have since my last visit to Vienna😎

Your biography?

Apr 17, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #3,059 of 3,199

NOMAX

Whatever it is, it sounds expensive! lol
Is it new pads with better sound / frequency response ?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #3,060 of 3,199
A magic potion...it will take you to audiophile sound heaven 😇with the Composer 🤪

NOMAX

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back