THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Apr 6, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #2,956 of 3,291
So after a few hours at Austrian Audio .... would you like to hear the good news or the bad news first?😎

NOMAX

PS.lol 😜

Nice pictures!

Judging by your smile and what you've said in the last few hours, I'm really excited to see what it's all about. If only 50% of this is true, which I hardly can imagine, I will personally send Austrian Audio a bottle of the best grappa. And you Nomax will probably go down in head-fi history (again)!:)

Cheers,
Bernie

P.S. As well as I have known you for many years, you are probably 100% right anyway!
It's good that there always is a good grappa around here for such cases. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #2,957 of 3,291
The nice thing about Score One is that I can drive two composers at the same time to make a direct comparison
And in this comparison I only say one thing....... checkmate on all levels in a much different way...with all genres...long live the Composer 💪
Now I know why they said to me.... there won't be anything new high end open back from AA for the next few years
(That wouldn't make any sense also to me now....because there are also other ways that you can go,provided the construct/design of the transducer is well thought out😉)

NOMAX

PS.The greatest punishment for me personally is when I am not allowed to share my joy with others in its entirety 😢
(That's what I always hate the most😈)

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 7:22 AM Post #2,958 of 3,291
@xxx1313

The honor does not belong to me....much more to Team 🇦🇹Austrian Audio🇦🇹
(I'm just the one who is critical and very strict,which has high expectations when listening through headphones)

NOMAX

PS.nice Sunday to all 👍

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #2,959 of 3,291
From a pure market point of view a mid-level open and/or close is missing.

Not sure what their studies says about grabbing a part of the market but if
the Composer can build a reputation then lower priced products would be welcomed.

I guess we're now all expecting new pads formulas for the Composer to adjust preferences?

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #2,960 of 3,291
For me personally, the Composer met my high expectations for 2.500 euros 👍

NOMAX

PS.and since the last few days it has been exceeded by a lot 💪💪
(Unfortunately, I can't fully share my joy with you yet😢)

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #2,962 of 3,291
I don't know anything about it.....only the Gods 😇 of the Headphone Olympus know that

NOMAX

PS.I am only a demigod 😛

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #2,963 of 3,291
It’s this talk that bothers me. I don’t think everyone who loved the original Utopia will find the Composer to their liking. Perhaps some will. I really see this more for Stealth lovers and people who prefer more analytic headphone. Think you might be overhyping this headphone. No one headphone suits everyone. But I do know you’re a big fan of the Utopia and the Stealth, so what you say is truthful in your mind. But for me, I have a hard time understanding how somehow how likes the Utopia can also really like the Stealth too. Or vice versa. What I like in the Utopia others have stated its exact reason they hate them.
I literally want dark, narrow headphones one day, and bright, open cans the next day. My ears desire different signatures constantly.

Apr 11, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #2,964 of 3,291
There are also some Models who exaggerate with their darkness and I don't even notice the S or the T which are on the recording properly with my ears 😎

NOMAX

PS.but of course the opposite still exists....this offers you a kind of openness and spatial representation that doesn't exist on the recording...It is more of an illusion
Where most models fail or don't provide enough of a performance are the Mids or where the ratio between mids and highs is not right (DCA is an exceptional talent and balanced here👍)
It’s up to each person to find the middle ground of the illusion for their genre/music

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #2,965 of 3,291
Actually listening right now to the Composer in south London Unilet audio shop.
Beautiful sound and sturdy high quality build more impressions later.

Attachments

• 20240412_130546_HDR.jpg
    20240412_130546_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 12, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #2,966 of 3,291
Alright, I am back from the shop where I went to try the Composer. First of all the headphones are better looking in reality and they are indeed very well built and the design is impressive, industrial. You are confident this pair is going not last.
The comfort of very high once place on the head and the oval design earcups are nicer then round ones I will say. This reminds me of the Stax 009 that I had in the past. Now it make sense what Nomax use to say about the value for your money. For the asking price I think you are getting a lot.
Anyway, now about the sound. I find the Composer to be a neutral headphone but at the same time very musical. You can easily can get lost in the music. The bass goes deep when needed and is very fast for a dynamic driver. The miss and highs are well balanced and extended with a very good imagining and great instrument separation.
The soundstage is not the widest I've heard, but it is above average and make music sound very realistic. Also this is a very detailed headphone that can reproduce macro details with a well recorded music.
In conclusion the Composer exceeded my expectations that were already high from what I've read so far. I conclusion I can see many of you just settling only with the Composer for many years. Is a headphone that can so so much more with any music genres.
I made the mistake to listen to D9200 right after the Composer and the Denon sounded artificial and muddy also the comfort cannot match of the AA.

Another pair of headphones that I've tried were the flagshipYamaha open back. Also I did some test with the Composer back and forth and the Yamaha were superior in my opinion in all departments, details, soundstage, bass, instrument separation but they are not worth the asking price if you ask me.
Where the Composer does offer a lot for your money at a lower price point.
My only complaint about it is the earpads are not genuine leather and I still hope AA or other company will offer high quality leather earpads. After 20 minutes of listening in a fairly cooled room my ears started to worm up. Sadly I couldn't try them balanced but with my W4 dongle dac the volume was between 50-70 depending on the type of music. Very good synergy by the way.

If you have money get the Yamaha if you like them even I don't agree with the asking price, but if you really want an " audio bargain " the Composer if no doubt well worth your pennies.
Definitely looking forward to try them again soon and hopefully in the near future I can get my own pair.

Attachments

• 20240412_133614.jpg
    20240412_133614.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #2,969 of 3,291
Alright, I am back from the shop where I went to try the Composer. First of all the headphones are better looking in reality and they are indeed very well built and the design is impressive, industrial. You are confident this pair is going not last.
The comfort of very high once place on the head and the oval design earcups are nicer then round ones I will say. This reminds me of the Stax 009 that I had in the past. Now it make sense what Nomax use to say about the value for your money. For the asking price I think you are getting a lot.
Anyway, now about the sound. I find the Composer to be a neutral headphone but at the same time very musical. You can easily can get lost in the music. The bass goes deep when needed and is very fast for a dynamic driver. The miss and highs are well balanced and extended with a very good imagining and great instrument separation.
The soundstage is not the widest I've heard, but it is above average and make music sound very realistic. Also this is a very detailed headphone that can reproduce macro details with a well recorded music.
In conclusion the Composer exceeded my expectations that were already high from what I've read so far. I conclusion I can see many of you just settling only with the Composer for many years. Is a headphone that can so so much more with any music genres.
I made the mistake to listen to D9200 right after the Composer and the Denon sounded artificial and muddy also the comfort cannot match of the AA.

Another pair of headphones that I've tried were the flagshipYamaha open back. Also I did some test with the Composer back and forth and the Yamaha were superior in my opinion in all departments, details, soundstage, bass, instrument separation but they are not worth the asking price if you ask me.
Where the Composer does offer a lot for your money at a lower price point.
My only complaint about it is the earpads are not genuine leather and I still hope AA or other company will offer high quality leather earpads. After 20 minutes of listening in a fairly cooled room my ears started to worm up. Sadly I couldn't try them balanced but with my W4 dongle dac the volume was between 50-70 depending on the type of music. Very good synergy by the way.

If you have money get the Yamaha if you like them even I don't agree with the asking price, but if you really want an " audio bargain " the Composer if no doubt well worth your pennies.
Definitely looking forward to try them again soon and hopefully in the near future I can get my own pair.
What's the model number of the JVC? I thought it was Yamaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back