THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
May 24, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #3,286 of 3,430
The Composer has been on my radar for a while. Lots of great reviews from sources I trust. My primary use case will be with Poly/Mojo2 or Cayin N3U, occasionally with my desktop rig.

I already have the Empy2. The FR graphs seem to be very close, but of course that's only a fraction of the story. What would The Composer bring to the table that I'm not getting from my Empy2??

btw--Why does this thread seem more trolls than usual in head-fi?? Are there more trolls on the other side of the pond?? I mean, really, 10+ pages about foam when the OP just had a very simple question and was satisfied?

jeez
In general, I found the composer slightly more resolving then empy2, and the bass a little more into the sub bass as well. But both sound really good.

May 24, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #3,288 of 3,430
Higher sensitivity (efficiency), and lighter weight primarily. I auditioned both headphones at Audio46 in NYC off the Questyle M15, and thought each sounded great. The Empy2 probably had a more spacious soundstage, but both were very neutral and highly musical to my ears. In a desktop scenario, I'd probably lean toward the Empy2, but for portable use almost certainly the Composer. FWIW.
BTW- I keep meaning to comment on your avatar. Gentle Giant's In a Glass House is one of the greatest prog rock albums and seems like no one knows about it. Back in the day it was only available in the US as an import. Anyway,. great to see someone who still cares. Sorry for going off topic. The album does sound really great on the composer, so much better then the midfi stereo I had at the time.

May 24, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #3,290 of 3,430
So, what are these light gray rings/spacers under the earpads;

May 24, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #3,291 of 3,430
That was just the incidence of light as I took the picture😎....you know Ipad Pro last generation 🤪

NOMAX

PS.As I said, let yourself be surprised...have faith in 🇦🇹AA 🇦🇹and in their Composer Design 😉

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #3,292 of 3,430
Whatever it is between the cups and the earpads, if it's working like a spacer it's sould be €20/pair max. But I guess it will come at € 100 or 200.

May 24, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #3,293 of 3,430
Whatever it is between the cups and the earpads, if it's working like a spacer it's sould be €20/pair max. But I guess it will come at € 100 or 200.
Without going into any details… would a simple spacer work with the magnetic pad holder mechanism? I don’t think so…

May 24, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #3,295 of 3,430
@rwelles

I think there is no way around Composer...., especially for portable use 😎
(And if you like really good quality deep bass, just take a closer look at this model😉)

IMG_0908.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.lol
Do you really use such an open cans like that? I find outside noise to be prohibitive to open cans listening. I honestly don’t think Composer or any other open cans should be used outside due to poor SNR.

Wouldn’t something like Dali be more suited to outside listening?

May 24, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #3,296 of 3,430
Do you really use such an open cans like that? I find outside noise to be prohibitive to open cans listening. I honestly don’t think Composer or any other open cans should be used outside due to poor SNR.

Wouldn’t something like Dali be more suited to outside listening?
The future will look like this...that most high-end over-ears will run on the small portable devices....at home...as well as on vacation😎
(In 10 years, almost nobody will buy a stationary setup/tower for it....and if then only very few)

IMG_0490.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.My second hobby besides headphones....always on vacation🤪

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #3,298 of 3,430
I see that you still love the K812. Nice place by the way for swimming in open water.

That was just a picture from the past...the K812 is no longer with me....it was followed by the Utopia which I still own alongside the Nutopia👍
(Still my number one the Frenchman even today.....but only until the fall 😎)

NOMAX

PS.With the exception of my marble stone 😉

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #3,299 of 3,430
Higher sensitivity (efficiency), and lighter weight primarily. I auditioned both headphones at Audio46 in NYC off the Questyle M15, and thought each sounded great. The Empy2 probably had a more spacious soundstage, but both were very neutral and highly musical to my ears. In a desktop scenario, I'd probably lean toward the Empy2, but for portable use almost certainly the Composer. FWIW.
According the specs, they both weigh the same. It's still tempting. I've had a soft spot in my heart for AKG, purchased the k240 II in the late 80s. The Composer is certainly more efficient, by 7 dB.

Anyone else care to chime in???

May 24, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #3,300 of 3,430
K240......very long time ago 😎

NOMAX

PS.The second guy from the left....the DF Version was his headphone as far as I remember

IMG_0587.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back