THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Mar 25, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #2,851 of 3,216
These are really extraordinary headphones but I don't see much about them online. Checking out their Instagram, they are far more interested in promoting their microphones and the artists who use them. The Composer feels almost like a hobby to them, or they are otherwise don't seem to be promoting them at the moment. As if they knew they could do it, so hey folks, enjoy them.

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:36 AM Post #2,852 of 3,216
There are products/models that don't need it if you were to waste part of your financial resources as well as your time on it for promoting😎
If this model was more like a boutique/lifestyle headphone....yes this would look different... but then also in the price😉

NOMAX

PS. Austrian Audio goes the other way with the Composer

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #2,853 of 3,216
Love it, when I have the feeling not half of my money is invested into fancy promotion ( like Focal for example).

Mar 26, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #2,854 of 3,216
In case anyone here is considering using the Questyle CMA18P in combination with the Composer (which is a great match!) here are my thoughts:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/questyle-cma18-portable-cma18p.27062/reviews#review-33381

Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-26 um 16.45.51.png

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #2,856 of 3,216
Speaking of Questyle, I thought the Composer sounded great driven off of the M15 dongle DAC (on low gain, no less) when I auditioned the combo at Audio46 prior to CanJam. This is a much smaller device than the M18, and can be had for roughly one third the cost, albeit with fewer features and less power. I liked the M15 so much that I purchased one, but unfortunately it doesn't have quite enough power to provide satisfying bass with my DCA E3, so I may be parting with it soon.

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:53 AM Post #2,857 of 3,216
Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #2,858 of 3,216
After reading the can jam report from @BassicScience, I decided to use the aliexpress sale to get a questyle m15 (around 150 usd!). It arrived today. It does sound a little warmer than my mojo 2, but it's too early for me to compare. But the first impressions are that this is a fanastic dongle for the Composer. It doesn't cause major drain on my phone battery and sounds really good out of the balanced out. It is even really good with my HD800S which is more power hungry. I am no where near max volume when I power the HD800S on high gain. But this is for a different thread.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #2,859 of 3,216
I am very interested in those super nice looking headphones. They look very well built and comfortable.

Did someone test it with rock/pop/metal music? If yes, whats the sound like? Thin and detailed? Does it has a nice impact in bass and mids? A large soundstage?

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #2,860 of 3,216
I am very interested in those super nice looking headphones. They look very well built and comfortable.

Did someone test it with rock/pop/metal music? If yes, whats the sound like? Thin and detailed? Does it has a nice impact in bass and mids? A large soundstage?
My choice of genres includes EDM and deep house, and the Composer does those beautifully : very deep reaching and clean bass that does not intrude on the mids, lively voices and nice sparkle without ever getting sharp. Decent recording quality needed though, otherwise you can hear the problems as well. Soundstage is medium sized and realistic, not narrow and not artificially vast either.
Well worth trying out, especially since it’s really easy to drive with high efficiency and rather low impedance.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #2,861 of 3,216
My choice of genres includes EDM and deep house, and the Composer does those beautifully : very deep reaching and clean bass that does not intrude on the mids, lively voices and nice sparkle without ever getting sharp. Decent recording quality needed though, otherwise you can hear the problems as well. Soundstage is medium sized and realistic, not narrow and not artificially vast either.
Well worth trying out, especially since it’s really easy to drive with high efficiency and rather low impedance.
Thank you!
These hp really seems to sound very nice. I prefer a nice balanced sound signature over boomy bassy thick sound.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #2,862 of 3,216

Great mids, deep impactful bass (especially for open back), finely resolving treble. Tested on the genres you mentioned.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #2,863 of 3,216
Thank you!
These hp really seems to sound very nice. I prefer a nice balanced sound signature over boomy bassy thick sound.
They definitely don’t have boomy bass. It’s clear, articulate, well defined and deep reaching — made to my own preferences almost :wink: It’s not boosted, but still a very nice experience.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #2,864 of 3,216

I made a comparison with different type of amps: tube, hybrid, solidstate, DAP and I have to say that Composer is the only one of my headphones, which sounds great with all of these. It's so neutral and transparent & not power hungry. Not si easy task to reach imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back