THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Jan 31, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #1,846 of 3,434
I love when a headphone is easy to drive and the amplifier is optional based on your budget.
At least you can still use it with many music players before you buy higher end gear.
Diana MR should be the same too but I haven't heard it yet.

Joe never had a problem with his tonal performance (Diana Phi years ago and Diana TC)
(I just say.... adjustment mechanism for the Ear Cups😉...maybe I'll live to see it 😇)

NOMAX

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #1,847 of 3,434
However, if I understand your graphs correctly, the place the composer doesn't need eqing is in the bass, and that's where the possibly problematic harmonic distortion is. But the empyrean 2 even with eq won't sound as tight and crisp in the bass, at least from my limited experience in a headphone shop in Barcelona. They have such different presentations that eq isn't the biggest issue. Personally, I prefer the tonality and the seeming microscopic view into the mix that the composer provides over the slightly soft and fuzzy presentation of the empy. Plus, because of the way the composer comes together as a fully integrated sound field, it's musical in its own way.

Thanks for the graphs and another entertaining video review! I don't have to agree with everything to super appreciate the service you are providing.

To be clear, I don't think either headphone needs EQ, but that doesn't mean they can't be improved. Like, I know some are resistant to the concept, but in my view literally every headphone can be improved with EQ, and it is an indication of a better headphone if that improvement is more easily achieved with only minimal EQ.

With respect to these two, I think they're both very good headphones, and yeah if you prefer flat, linear bass extension like the composer has you likely wouldn't be adjusting the bass - so it's probably more about the 2khz dip. And really with the harmonic distortion, it is elevated there but it's just a second order product, so I wouldn't be too worried about EQing it up there.

Comparing the two though, yeah I didn't have any issues with EQing the Empyrean bass to be how I wanted it - both with the suede pads and default ones. And for the rest of it, I found I preferred the Empyrean 2 subjectively. But that could just be down to the headphone transfer function (HpTF) and how they're each behaving on my head respectively.

I also just wanted to say that this was a difficult product to give a verdict on, because it really is a very good headphone. I could've just left it at that, but when I was doing my comparisons I just felt it wouldn't be accurate to omit the fact that I felt the price tag was a bit beyond its performance, given the competition. The issue though is that as soon as you say something like that, the hobby has a way of twisting that into a verdict of "he said it's a terrible headphone", and that's also not remotely true.

People will of course erroneously take this to indicate damnation by faint praise, which is a particularly annoying concept to deal with when delivering anything of substance, nuance, and truth over hyperbole, and proclamations that strictly fall into two categories of "best thing ever" and "it's trash" - neither of which are true. I'm sorry to say but it's really not that simple (and I'm not directing this at you here, just a trend I've observed).

Last edited:
headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 31, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #1,848 of 3,434
To be clear, I don't think either headphone needs EQ, but that doesn't mean they can't be improved. Like, I know some are resistant to the concept, but in my view literally every headphone can be improved with EQ, and it is an indication of a better headphone if that improvement is more easily achieved with only minimal EQ.

With respect to these two, I think they're both very good headphones, and yeah if you prefer flat, linear bass extension like the composer has you likely wouldn't be adjusting the bass - so it's probably more about the 2khz dip. And really with the harmonic distortion, it is elevated there but it's just a second order product, so I wouldn't be too worried about EQing it up there.

Comparing the two though, yeah I didn't have any issues with EQing the Empyrean bass to be how I wanted it - both with the suede pads and default ones. And for the rest of it, I found I preferred the Empyrean 2 subjectively. But that could just be down to the headphone transfer function (HpTF) and how they're each behaving on my head respectively.

I also just wanted to say that this was a difficult product to give a verdict on, because it really is a very good headphone. I could've just left it at that, but when I was doing my comparisons I just felt it wouldn't be accurate to omit the fact that I felt the price tag was a bit beyond its performance, given the competition. The issue though is that as soon as you say something like that, the hobby has a way of twisting that into a verdict of "he said it's a terrible headphone", and that's also not remotely true.

People will of course erroneously take this to indicate damnation by faint praise, which is a particularly annoying concept to deal with when delivering anything of substance, nuance, and truth over hyperbole, and proclamations that strictly fall into two categories of "best thing ever" and "it's trash" - neither of which are true. I'm sorry to say but it's really not that simple (and I'm not directing this at you here, just a trend I've observed).
At least I heard your review as you intended it :) But yeah, we've already seen a couple of gloaters celebrating your review as if you dissed the Composer.

The problem with eqing the 2khz dip is that is also why the headphone sounds spacious and open. So, eqing that is tricky. And as to price, it's definitely up there. But I find it a bit better headphone in both sound and wieght for me than the empy 2 (that was something I was considering) and it is cheaper than that. I love the HD800, I have both OG and S. So for me this fixed a few of the things I didn't like. The composer is even more resolving and more fun in some ways. Finally, I often listen to headphones for hours. I do a lot of writing and I use music to block out distractions. I find that more than 400 grams doesn't work for me for that use case. I think, because of the price though, it's not a no-brainer and I can see how people might prefer an empy 2. But it's definitely better to me that the Senns (it is worth another 1000? at least here in europe it's not as bad as that), also for both wieght, sound, build quality and fit I prefer it to the HE1000's, haven't heard the latest arya. But, it's definitely a try before you buy the way they priced it.

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #1,849 of 3,434
At least I heard your review as you intended it :) But yeah, we've already seen a couple of gloaters celebrating your review as if you dissed the Composer.
Up until Resolve's review all we've seen on this headphone is 124 pages of non-stop Zeo's style shilling from people who clearly have incredible bias towards the company and this product. So yeah the review is the most accurate impression that I've seen so far from a third party with no skin in the game.

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #1,850 of 3,434
Price is really the last thing, I would have expected to be criticised at the Composer (2500.-€ in EU)
Ok, the HD 800 is hard to beat for 1799.-€ ( factory price in EU) . But maybe this price is only possible because it is on the market since 10 years and has been sold xthousand times. But that is also how it sounds. A big stage, that's the only reason why I kept my early HD800, but nearly everything else has been made better by other headphones in the meantime. I like the HD800 with spheric, electronic music, where pinpointing and separation doesn't matter.( And I even don't talk about bass. )
But apart from stage, I don't see one quality where I would not prefer the Composer. In opposite to Revolves critc, he has more detail at all freuquencies for me - maybe even more than my Stax 009.

But why just compare it with the HD and the Empy only? Why not compare it's price/quality- relation to other TOTLs? I beliefe, I don't have to name other headphones for double the price, with disastrous characteristics.

Another quality of the Composer for me was dynamics, something I miss at many headphones in this price range. Did Revolve mention this?

P.s.: I don't own the Composer, have no connections with AA. I listen Jazz, Blues and Rock.

Jan 31, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #1,851 of 3,434
Price is really the last thing, I would have expected to be criticised at the Composer (2500.-€ in EU)
Ok, the HD 800 is hard to beat for 1799.-€ ( factory price in EU) . But maybe this price is only possible because it is on the market since 10 years and has been sold xthousand times. But that is also how it sounds. A big stage, that's the only reason why I kept my early HD800, but nearly everything else has been made better by other headphones in the meantime. I like the HD800 with spheric, electronic music, where pinpointing and separation doesn't matter.( And I even don't talk about bass. )
But apart from stage, I don't see one quality where I would not prefer the Composer. In opposite to Revolves critc, he has more detail at all freuquencies for me - maybe even more than my Stax 009.

But why just compare it with the HD and the Empy only? Why not compare it's price/quality- relation to other TOTLs? I beliefe, I don't have to name other headphones for double the price, with disastrous characteristics.

Another quality of the Composer for me was dynamics, something I miss at many headphones in this price range. Did Revolve mention this?

P.s.: I don't own the Composer, have no connections with AA. I listen Jazz, Blues and Rock.
I also have no connection with AA or Nomax. I am just a headfier who got to hear @plakat s composer ( i didn't know him before our meeting in vienna). And based on that I decided to purchase one. I feel I am a pretty informed consumer, and own or have owned a number of TOTL (or considered that at the time) headphones. And currently own a HD800 and S and a Stax Sr007 (which I greatly prefer to every other electrostaic I have heard except HE90 and HE1 (haven't heard the X9000)).

I agree with what you write. But I think @Resolve point about price, is that is measures simliarly to other headphones that cost less. And in his opinion might be better. I think the criticism is fair. But for reasons I mentioned up the thread, I came to a different conclusion.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #1,852 of 3,434
@shabta: "But I think @Resolve point about price, is that is measures simliarly to other headphones that cost less."

What I see, is a better frequency response than HD800 and Meze Empyrian. Distortion is below 1% - Oratory calls that " low enough not to be an issue "

By the way: A man, who has a Susvara on top of his headphonelist, shouldn't give too much weight on measurments.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #1,853 of 3,434
@shabta: "But I think @Resolve point about price, is that is measures simliarly to other headphones that cost less."

What I see, is a better frequency response than HD800 and Meze Empyrian. Distortion is below 1% - Oratory calls that " low enough not to be an issue "

By the way: A man, who has a Susvara on top of his headphonelist, shouldn't give too much weight on measurments.
Ah it’s getting personal. sorry but I trust Goldensound and Resolve 100 times more then goldenear and his friends. and my own ears tell me I’m right with this decision. Composer is good but nothing special just kind of boring. maybe next time AA makes a better job then I’m the first one who gives thumbs up for the Austrian Startup. hope they don’t disappoint me next time when the composer 2 hits the stores.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #1,854 of 3,434

'Better' is debatable. It's better in certain areas, worse in others. Also, Susvara measures just fine and is generally well-regarded.

Susvara.jpg

Edit: here's Crin's data as well if you prefer unsmoothed (we both do 1/12th now but my data for this is older I believe).

1706736849233.png

Edit 2: And here is the composer also on GRAS
1706737736142.png

Note the targets are different in the bass - we really do need to get a new Susvara in to measure and post with our new methodology. But the idea that "you can't trust this guy because he rates the susvara highly"... it's a particularly silly argument. So, by all means if you want to take shots - I am far from infallible, and I'm sure I've had some bad takes in the past. But you can do better than that.

Last edited:
headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 31, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #1,856 of 3,434
"But the idea that "you can't trust this guy because he rates the susvara highly".
Sorry, but that's a misinterpretation of what I wanted to say.
I don't give much about measurements and everybody should charge headphones as he likes.
But if I read amirms measurements about the Susvara ( https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hifiman-susvara-headphone-review.50705/ )
I ask myself: Why is there no comment about the price?

The strange think is, that the main feedback in my hifi- surrounding was, that AA was too shy to charge more for the Composer, that the headphoneworld will not take them serious enough, if they don't take more for a TOTL. My buddies were lucky, that AA didn't follow other companies with their price-rallye. AA was praised for a realistic pricepolicy.

You talked about the quality of materials and workmanship, handling and comfort but did you value them?

Soundwise I expected more information, more comparisons to other headphones. Maybe I missed them because of my bad English. But ok, tast is very different and I also don't give a lot about influencers oppinons, so I do 't mind.

Jan 31, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #1,857 of 3,434
That's why the composer will have a huge fanbase...runs easily on every DAP 😎
(In contrast to the HD800S)

NOMAX

PS.Unfortunately, the times are over where you can reach a large group of buyers for headphone where you need a stationary AMP😉

Because that's exactly what DAP owners want, an open headphone.

And people buying headphones in this price range are also typically so starved for cash that they can't afford a decent amp.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #1,858 of 3,434
So the only thing Composer does better than HD800S is more linear bass ?
This question is exactly what I expexted after Revolves comment!

Jan 31, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #1,859 of 3,434
the "open end music" gang is taking all this way too personal.

Jan 31, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #1,860 of 3,434
@Skeith

The Composer really puts the pressure on from the bottom...., the HD800, like many others at even higher prices, does not 😉

NOMAX

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back