THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Jan 15, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #1,726 of 3,313
From what I can see they are not angled — unfortunately the pad in front of the driver is fixed though, so maybe I just don’t see it.

I do like some soundstage, though I neither need nor like what the HD800(S) does in that regard. If I would listen to big orchestral works… where the recording itself does not work well with headphones and needs some help. Yet I don’t, so I don’t miss anything. The composer is not cramped like the original Utopia was, so that’s fine with me. Button the end only you can be the judge of it fits for you…
You're right. I am a little bit stupid. I didn't take the pads off. There is a thick foam pad over the drivers which is angled, but the driver appears to be flat.:flushed:

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #1,727 of 3,313
When the composer was hinted, I was anticipating something dramatic in this regard, as this is the feature where companies have not pushed things too far as evidenced by the dramatic changes being made to the OAE -1. Even the OAE-1 is not going all out as Axel Grell cannot use the ring driver which he developed in Sennheiser. The ring driver being large and non spherical in shape makes the sound waves act more like planes of sound instead of spherical waves which improves soundstage as the spherical shape of the sound gives away its close proximity to the ears.

People sometimes call large soundstages artificial. Well no soundstage from a headphone is large enough to be artificial. It is the tampering with frequency response to increase soundstage that sounds artificial. Soundstage has a lot of room to be improved through geometric tricks, without tampering with the frequency response. As long as a headphone does not give the impression of listening to speakers to the listener, soundstage can be improved and even with the HD 800S you could sometimes feel the sound emanating from a point too close to your ears depending on the recording.

I just wish Axel had the freedom to go all out with his ideas in Sennheiser, but its sad ideal things just dont tend to happen in this world.
I agree that the geometry of the cup - and acoustic engineering considerations related to that - seems to be an area that always repays thought. I mentioned in the thread on the ADX5000 that I owned Mysphere 3.2 phones for some time and always enjoyed the immediacy and open feeling of their presentation. As is often said, their completely open structure effectively removes reflective surfaces and the 'pressure chamber' effect created by the ear cups of more conventional phones. I found them to have miraculously natural presentation and imaging for small scale chamber music - although issues in relation to larger scale music and comfort meant I was never entirely happy with them. By comparison, however, even the K812 and HD800S seemed slightly 'shut-in' - the way sweeping cinematic panoramas may seem less open than any natural view. On the other hand, the AKG and the Sennheiser often seemed to me more convincing (and satisfying) in creating and projecting a structured image of the recorded performance. The ADX5000 has the most open structure I've encountered in dynamic phones short of the MySphere - and I believe it shares much in terms of openness and crystalline clarity of presentation - I find this very appealing. But I speculate the residual structure around the driver housing also helps in retaining just a bit of the ear cup effect of more conventional phones. Interestingly (to me), I'm inclined to the think the ADX images more convincingly than the MySphere - despite the radical angling of the MySphere drivers (although the 'open' sense of the MySphere has a realism about it that's hard to describe). The result is that I tend to see the ADX as occupying a space somewhere between the MySphere and conventional 'open-back' circumaural phones. In view of the thought that had obviously gone into the imaging of the K812 I had been hoping the Composer might push back the frontiers a little further here too.

Jan 17, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #1,729 of 3,313
Finally decided to sell my Composer and stay on Stax 009 (which need definitely an EQ to fit for my preferences).

The composer is perfect on weight, sound, stage, low end bass, easy to drive, build quality, first headphone I don't have the feeling need EQ etc.

As Nomax said in the past it could be a real alternative to Stax with bass! This was the reason I bought the composer and I really love the composer especially to be independent from the Stax Amp.

But since I have very large ears, the pads aren't deep enough for me. What a pity....

Jan 17, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #1,730 of 3,313
Finally decided to sell my Composer and stay on Stax 009 (which need definitely an EQ to fit for my preferences).

The composer is perfect on weight, sound, stage, low end bass, easy to drive, build quality, first headphone I don't have the feeling need EQ etc.

As Nomax said in the past it could be a real alternative to Stax with bass! This was the reason I bought the composer and I really love the composer especially to be independent from the Stax Amp.

But since I have very large ears, the pads aren't deep enough for me. What a pity....
What a bummer. I have been wondering how big ears fit. My ears are pretty average size and don't stick out at all. And my ears still almost but not quite touch the foam that covers the driver.

Hopefully the new pads nomax has been talking about will offer more room.

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #1,731 of 3,313

If many of you owners would ask Dekoni Audio maybe they will make high quality leather earpads with bigger openings for the Composer.

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #1,732 of 3,313
What a bummer. I have been wondering how big ears fit. My ears are pretty average size and don't stick out at all. And my ears still almost but not quite touch the foam that covers the driver.

Hopefully the new pads nomax has been talking about will offer more room.
It seems, that there will be only 1-2mm more room but not more to avoid any "tunnel sound effect".

This will not sufficient, but it is a common problem with many headphone for me. I also have to sell my almost new Stax 007 because of my large head and ears because unfortunately I can't find a sensible position.

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #1,734 of 3,313
If many of you owners would ask Dekoni Audio maybe they will make high quality leather earpads with bigger openings for the Composer.
It's not how big the opening is, it's the depth. And changing the depth will no doubt change the sound. Fortunately for me i just fit😁.
It seems, that there will be only 1-2mm more room but not more to avoid any "tunnel sound effect".

This will not sufficient, but it is a common problem with many headphone for me. I also have to sell my almost new Stax 007 because of my large head and ears because unfortunately I can't find a sensible position.
That sucks! Sounds like we have similar tastes though, i love my composer and my SR007.

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #1,736 of 3,313
Can anyone comment on the sound isolation of The Composer?

I'm particularly interested in how much ambient noise gets in. There are open-back headphones that still offer relatively good isolation from the outside world. I would include the DCA Expanse in this category, which is open-back but still has some sort of shell that helps to block some of the outside sound. I'm not referring to the amount of sound that leaks out, but the amount of sound that gets in.

For context, I'm a musician and I'm used to working with closed-back headphones. I'm used to being completely immersed in the music, especially when I'm producing or mixing. When working at low volume, sometimes the slightest ambient noise can throw me off, such as the clicking of my mouse, keyboard typing, motorised mixer faders, computer fans, the hum of vintage power supplies or the mechanical action of even the most expensive keyboard. To be honest, even my own breathing can be distracting when I'm mixing.

That's why I'm always on the lookout for open-back headphones that still somehow offer at least some isolation. Amongst other HP options I've collected over the years, the DCA Stealth are my main monitoring headphones, along with studio monitors, but I'm still looking for a serious open-back option that still somhow offers at least some isolation and won't break my neck after a 10-hour session like the Audezes.

So my question is: How would you rate The Composer in terms of ambient noise?

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #1,737 of 3,313
Can anyone comment on the sound isolation of The Composer?

I'm particularly interested in how much ambient noise gets in. There are open-back headphones that still offer relatively good isolation from the outside world. I would include the DCA Expanse in this category, which is open-back but still has some sort of shell that helps to block some of the outside sound. I'm not referring to the amount of sound that leaks out, but the amount of sound that gets in.

For context, I'm a musician and I'm used to working with closed-back headphones. I'm used to being completely immersed in the music, especially when I'm producing or mixing. When working at low volume, sometimes the slightest ambient noise can throw me off, such as the clicking of my mouse, keyboard typing, motorised mixer faders, computer fans, the hum of vintage power supplies or the mechanical action of even the most expensive keyboard. To be honest, even my own breathing can be distracting when I'm mixing.

That's why I'm always on the lookout for open-back headphones that still somehow offer at least some isolation. Amongst other HP options I've collected over the years, the DCA Stealth are my main monitoring headphones, along with studio monitors, but I'm still looking for a serious open-back option that still somhow offers at least some isolation and won't break my neck after a 10-hour session like the Audezes.

So my question is: How would you rate The Composer in terms of ambient noise?
I understand what you are looking for. Yes, fir sure you can here noise from outside but my!!! feeling is that there more noise from outside e.g. on my Stax headphones.

The composer is very light and will definitely not break your neck :wink: amd on the other side it is very neutral what should be a benefit for mixing. It is very easy with them to differ between a good or bad mix. Or in other words (sorry for German wording): Er ist kein Schönfärber! It is noticeable that the guys wo designed the composer have some background on professional products (AKG) and not on consumer products.

Maybe interesting for you on long listing sessions: You can use the Composer wit low volume and I don’t have the feeling details or bass will be missing.

Jan 18, 2024 at 2:00 AM Post #1,738 of 3,313
Jan 18, 2024 at 2:05 AM Post #1,739 of 3,313
@willstuder to me there is at least a tiny bit of isolation: even at moderate volume I don’t hear conversations directly near me. I think there’s more isolation on the Composer than my Grados.

Jan 18, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #1,740 of 3,313
@willstuder to me there is at least a tiny bit of isolation: even at moderate volume I don’t hear conversations directly near me. I think there’s more isolation on the Composer than my Grados.
That's quite easy to explain, Grado uses an open-pored foam for the pads which is certainly also sound permeable. Composer (and other headphones) use covered foam. The cover alone dampens in combination with the foam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back