THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Oct 23, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #841 of 3,209
Fascinating what people read from a graph...
Clinical or sharp were definitely not words that came to my mind while listening to the Composer. While I'm open to elevated bass, its not that I was missing anything there either... deep reaching bass paired with great resolution down low is very satisfying actually.
I think Composer seems to fix the two bugs of the HifiMan HPs: Soft bass and strong treble. Anyone that likes Susvara and HE1000 series should seriously try it. I agree, I don't expect it to be bass weak. I am still positive about the whole package, especially as it is very efficient and seems to have a fairly good tuning.

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #842 of 3,209
I think Composer seems to fix the two bugs of the HifiMan HPs: Soft bass and strong treble. Anyone that likes Susvara and HE1000 series should seriously try it. I agree, I don't expect it to be bass weak. I am still positive about the whole package, especially as it is very efficient and seems to have a fairly good tuning.
don't worry, susvara owners won't trade for a composer. :)

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #843 of 3,209
To clear up any misunderstandings.

Not everyone hears the same!
The ear geometry is different for each person.
In addition, the frequency response also changes in the course of life.

And the MOST IMPORTANT part is usually completely forgotten: the auditory centre is located in the brain! The ear is ONLY the microphone, the human brain is responsible for signal processing!
In addition, the current mood also flows into this signal processing - and another important factor is the expectation, which can also be called self- and external suggestion! Quite a few hi-fi audio companies make a good living from this last part! Especially as far as some accessories are concerned, and that doesn't just mean "snake oil"!
Some tuning companies, cable manufacturers, base manufacturers, tourmaline ..... and "hocus pocus seducers" sail on the wave of suggestion.

The above is not entirely my own invention, I have borrowed from
Reto Luigi Andreoli, HiFi Scene No.17 & No.18, Article_RLA.pdf
found!

This is NOT meant against a solid consumer HiFi audio technology based on studio technology - on the contrary, it is only meant to separate the wheat from the chaff!

https://web.archive.org/web/2013042...xt/download.php?file2download=Artikel_RLA.pdf

https://web.archive.org/web/20110831000057/http://www.rintelen.ch/konzept_und_text/index.php?sparte=audio/index.php&subnav=2&lang=en

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #844 of 3,209
I sold my Susvara as I preferred my DCA Stealth over it. There is nothing holy about Susvara that makes it irreplaceable. Especially considering how inefficient it is. There is progress in the HP world since its launch, and I am sure a new Susvara is on the way. Today I would not buy a Susvara even for half the price of Composer.

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #845 of 3,209

They should because the composer builds much more up from below and move much more air to your ear😉

NOMAX

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #846 of 3,209
While the Bass extension is flat, which is great for a dynamic driver, the amount is really low.

Pass for me

It is not 😉

NOMAX

PS.try it and then tell me you need more in the low end🤣

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #848 of 3,209
I sold my Susvara as I preferred my DCA Stealth over it. There is nothing holy about Susvara that makes it irreplaceable. Especially considering how inefficient it is. There is progress in the HP world since its launch, and I am sure a new Susvara is on the way. Today I would not buy a Susvara even for half the price of Composer.
because you couldn't serve it with an amplifier, which is $10,000 minimum.

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #849 of 3,209
No impedance or phase curve?

Is this what you mean?

IMG_8687.jpeg

NOMAX

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #850 of 3,209
To clear up any misunderstandings.

Not everyone hears the same!
The ear geometry is different for each person.
In addition, the frequency response also changes in the course of life.

And the MOST IMPORTANT part is usually completely forgotten: the auditory centre is located in the brain! The ear is ONLY the microphone, the human brain is responsible for signal processing!
In addition, the current mood also flows into this signal processing - and another important factor is the expectation, which can also be called self- and external suggestion! Quite a few hi-fi audio companies make a good living from this last part! Especially as far as some accessories are concerned, and that doesn't just mean "snake oil"!
Some tuning companies, cable manufacturers, base manufacturers, tourmaline ..... and "hocus pocus seducers" sail on the wave of suggestion.

The above is not entirely my own invention, I have borrowed from
Reto Luigi Andreoli, HiFi Scene No.17 & No.18, Article_RLA.pdf
found!

This is NOT meant against a solid consumer HiFi audio technology based on studio technology - on the contrary, it is only meant to separate the wheat from the chaff!

https://web.archive.org/web/2013042...xt/download.php?file2download=Artikel_RLA.pdf

https://web.archive.org/web/20110831000057/http://www.rintelen.ch/konzept_und_text/index.php?sparte=audio/index.php&subnav=2&lang=en
What vitamins to use for maximum audio processing powers?

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #852 of 3,209
Ok, a 3khz resonator, just similar to K812.
Here was what Tyll said about 3khz issue with K812 (for reference and not to imply anything):

“[K812] having serious problems with transient response and an area of elevated distortion between 1kHz and 3kHz. It seems to me these measurements are related to the problematic low to mid treble in listening. In my opinion, this confusion and harshness in the treble when lots of high-frequency information is present disqualifies them as tool for professionals as it obscures details, and disqualifies them as a high-end headphone for enthusiasts because it's unpleasant.”

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #854 of 3,209
.......them as tool for professionals as it obscures details, and disqualifies them as a high-end headphone for enthusiasts because it's unpleasant.”

Yes therefore listen....I no longer notice anything of the weaknesses of the K812😉...its over 10 years ago also 😎

NOMAX

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #855 of 3,209
PS.try it and then tell me you need more in the low end🤣
Whenever I get the chance, but I don't think it will be prior to High End 2024

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back