THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Oct 3, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #437 of 3,434
Waiting for the rather shrill hype to die down and some actual measurements plus more level headed impressions. Not saying these aren't great - but this kind of hype we've seen before right? I hope these are great.
It will take a few weeks before they will be available for purchase, but my impression is they will not be replaced with just another model next year (which I consider a good thing).
I can fully understand you don't want to follow every twist of the road, having ignored most new models myself over the past few years. Yes, the Stealth may sound quite nice on a powerful amp, but definitely not 4K nice. Same for the high end Meze or Audeze models, not to mention Abyss and Diana (chapter of its own). I've heard them all, but neither had me pull out my wallet. This one is the first a bit more expensive one I'll buy, after purchasing a D9200 some years ago. That one might go up for sale btw.

While I always liked Tylls measurements, I don't have a general reference anymore since he quit. Will be interesting to see some FR, THD, impulse response measurements, but won't tell me how they sound.

Oct 3, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #438 of 3,434
the only problem is the k812 was never on the map globally in the headphone market

K812 is truly the statement headphone by later AKG, but.....

1. Lacks balanced connect option, when most "hifi headphone amp" go for balanced, its become a problem.

2.Head-Fier actually not so like so call "neutral" timbre, in fact, most of us prefer slight rising treble for transients and decays.

But for pro-use, Treble most turn down for long time listening fatigue.

3.The upsurge of planars , those headphone not as picky as dynamics, easily to got enough clear sound with "more juice" amp.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #439 of 3,434
wish the headphone is bit harder to drive.... 22omh is overkill for my amps
I don't understand what you are complaining about. Assuming you need 110 dB for bass, you need only 36 mA for a high listening volume. If your amp is not able to provide that, it means it is just not an amp. If you have very high output impedance amps, well, that is your fault investing in such things.

https://headphones.com/pages/headphones-power-calculator

1696325470107.png

If you are complaining about the 22 ohms just because of audiophile gossips, then you better stop believing in gossips.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #440 of 3,434
@DarginMahkum Composer is not a real thing for user which likes OTL tube amps :sunglasses:

Oct 3, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #442 of 3,434
since the appearance of austrian audio, it has been almost unknown in the headphone market. and now they release a 2500 euro headphone, why should you buy this?
Some other headphone manufactures coming new and and immediately played in the top league! I know about some .....
And don't forget, the AustrianAudio team is not unknown in the professional business!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #443 of 3,434
since the appearance of austrian audio, it has been almost unknown in the headphone market. and now they release a 2500 euro headphone, why should you buy this?
You don't need to.
@DarginMahkum Composer is not a real thing for user which likes OTL tube amps :sunglasses:
Exactly. If someone buys only OTL amps, disregarding the variety of HPs in the market, it is his fault. What is the market share of OTL compared to solid state? It is not a thing for any portables, none of the pro-audio units I know of is OTL. None of the budget amplifiers from Topping, SMSL are OTL. It is a niche market in another niche market. Or let's say, it is a marketing thing in a niche market.

Oct 3, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #444 of 3,434
Neither are low sensitivity planars and yet there are plenty of those around as well.

OTL tube amps are a very specific niche nowadays.
It's like complaining that you can't drive the Composer with your electrostat amplifier...

Oct 3, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #445 of 3,434
the only problem is the k812 was never on the map globally in the headphone market
Well the Tyll Hertsens review didn't help, preferring the warm and syrupy, and he carried a lot of influence. We didn't see eye to eye in sound preferences but he was a good reviewer... Mainly though, besides price, the K812/872 went through the pro-audio network, not consumer similar to the K712 and Austrian Audio and so are not as readily available.
It was mentioned earlier that will not be the case with the Composer.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #446 of 3,434
since the appearance of austrian audio, it has been almost unknown in the headphone market.
As I mentioned pro vs consumer
and now they release a 2500 euro headphone,
Don't know about Europe but the AKG K812 is still listed as $2499 (1700 Euro) here in Canada,
https://www.long-mcquade.com/67095/...dphones/AKG/Superior_Reference_Headphones.htm

And times have changed since its release where we are now talking silly sums like $5k-$6+ for some current models.
Focal Utopia $6499. : (
https://baybloorradio.com/focal-utopia-2022-headphones

Screen Shot 2023-10-03 at 8.34.29 AM.png
why should you buy this?
Well you shouldn't if its too expensive and you do not like the sound, sadly it'll be above my pay-grade even if I do like it. :slight_frown:

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #447 of 3,434
Do you know when it will be available for purchase? I sent an email to Andreas to reserve one for me, but we will see how it unfolds in the next few days.
Andreas @kopfhoererboutique.com told me that the delivery will be between start and mid of November. My patience will be thoroughly tested. :wink:

Oct 3, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #448 of 3,434
Drivers are mounted at a slight angle if you look at the cover.

Groß (Composer driver angled).jpeg

Oct 3, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #450 of 3,434
AustrianAudio should improve this if possible, or at least provide a short adapter.

Amp headphone jack.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back