THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Oct 2, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #392 of 3,234
I wish instead of such a bulky wooden box that they would sell it with a robust carry case, like the DCA Stealth/Expanse cases.

Who knows what else will be available for optional purchase in the future?😎

NOMAX

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #393 of 3,234
Listen without letting it burn in for any longer - it will show whether the sound changes noticeably over time.

Fleetwood Mac, Songbird
K812 stage a bit more spacious
DT1990 ~8 kHz peak is also noticeable with normal female singing (not just with sibilants), if you listen carefully and know what to pay attention to.
--
Pink Floyd, The Final Cut - 2 different CD mixes
Tr.1 The Post War Dream
The jingling of coins is clearly audible.
Tr. 12/13 Two Sets in the Sunset
Hissing of the drums (brass), natural, pleasant - as I know it live!
--
In between for relaxation
Joe Zawinul, My People
One of my absolute favorite pieces on this album “Erdäpfe Blues” (Potato Blues). Deep bass hits.
There's a real live character coming through, bass as it should be!
No sharpness in overall voices.
Very pleasant and relaxing to listen to!
--
Nachtfahrten, Nachtfahrten (Night driving, night driving)
Drum beats strong, powerful, but not too “cold” (if real deep bass is missing).
--
Mystical Scent, Sacred Book
Abyssally deep, powerful bass - if not as deep as the Denon AH D7000 had at the time - but it was closed and had an unpleasant bass hump towards the higher bass frequencies - so I ultimately sold it.
--
So Spoke Zarathustra, Richard Strauss
The deep organ tone at the beginning is clearly perceptible.
--
Back on the block, Quincy Jones
Prologue, Back on the Block, The Places You Find Love, Birdland, Prelude To The Garden, The Secret Garden
I really like the vocal range of the singers, more fullness in the expression!
--
Wia Die Zeit Vergeht (How time flies), Hubert von Goisern, live
Disc 2 Tr.5. Kren & Speck (~10 min) - drum solo from ~4:00
Hard hits, drums and woods against each other. Live character.

Comparison - the DT1990 is missing something in the middle range, the K812 sounds a bit hollow - don't overestimate it, these are my impressions and they are at a high level.

Voices and instruments always well separated, as long as the recording itself is OK. K812 seems to have a slightly bigger stage here, but is weak (at a high level) in other things.

For the very first playthrough, some tracks were only played briefly, composer tuned very well!
Now the system is being rebuilt and Full Score One is being ground in.

Oct 2, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #397 of 3,234
Oct 2, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #398 of 3,234
DIY WNA MKII with Burson V6 Vivid fully discrete audio opamps versus Full Score One.

Both amplifiers connected to the DAC via RCA T-piece.
Compared with some music from the above tests.
First K812 and DT1990 - with Full Score One the overemphasis of certain higher frequencies (sibilants) does not seem so noticeable. This is also a benefit for these headphones too.
The overall sound image is also clearer. One must not forget that the WNA was created in 2008/2009 and is based on Chu Moi's simple HA amp - only with additional Class-A powerstage.
Without people like Chu Moi, Jan Meier, Walt Jung (Buffer), and others, the development of small, powerful headphone amplifiers would have been greatly delayed.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130115042613/http://headwize.com/?page_id=5

Of course the Composer gains just as much! Now it's really coming into its own!

Oct 2, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #399 of 3,234
Way out of my price range and they don’t look like their price, frankly, and those awful cable connectors … but it does make me want to consider their normal headphones, like the Hi-X65. 😊

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #400 of 3,234
What I find most remarkable is the speed with which the composer offers the volume of the performance
And it's shocking how much you can listen through various tracks.....thats really great 👍
Its sounds like a stax with bass,great low end,body but not as sterile and thin/lean
I really can't describe it any other way🤷‍♂️

NOMAX

PS.lol

Oct 2, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #401 of 3,234
Way out of my price range and they don’t look like their price, frankly, and those awful cable connectors … but it does make me want to consider their normal headphones, like the Hi-X65. 😊

Try the X60,better bass/low end 😉

NOMAX

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #402 of 3,234
Try the X60,better bass/low end 😉

NOMAX
Besides the Composer, which I am sure is AA's best, would you say the closed X60 is their best headphone of the rest of their lineup? :O I tend to gravitate towards open-backs but you're making me reconsider. 😂

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #403 of 3,234
Besides the Composer, which I am sure is AA's best, would you say the closed X60 is their best headphone of the rest of their lineup? :O I tend to gravitate towards open-backs but you're making me reconsider. 😂

Yes 👍 because the X65 has not real body in the low end/to lean

NOMAX

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #405 of 3,234
Yes, I’d go with the X60 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back