THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Apr 23, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #3,106 of 3,209
Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #3,107 of 3,209
Apr 24, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #3,109 of 3,209
Was this review mentioned already?
https://www.headfonia.com/austrian-audio-the-composer-review/

Seeing the HD800S as a complement in a collection to the Composer might have a point, but I still don’t need an HD800S anymore…
I saw it last night.

They are complementary, but if I could only have one, it's clearly the Composer. It works much better across many kinds of music.

And what hifi just gave empy 2 a 4 star review, which is lower than the Composer.

Seems like resolve's review is an outlier. Everyone else rates the composer much higher... Including me 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #3,110 of 3,209
Somebody should show me a track where an HD800S is ahead in terms of tonal presentation
There is none😂....because the Composer has the more complete tonal performance to show what is on the track 😉

NOMAX

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #3,111 of 3,209
I saw it last night.

They are complementary, but if I coule only have one, it's clearly the Composer. It works much better across many kinds of music.

And what hifi just gave empy 2 a 4 star review, which is lower than the Composer.

Seems like resolve's review is an outlier. Everyone else rates the composer much higher... Including me 😂😂😂
Yes I think Resolve was in a bad mood when he did that subjective part. I could see it in his eyes haha. The Sennheiser (or most headphones) can’t compete with the composer to my ears! If you want bass composer is it!

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #3,112 of 3,209
Somebody should show me a track where an HD800S is ahead in terms of tonal presentation
There is none😂....because the Composer has the more complete tonal performance to show what is on the track 😉

NOMAX
We discussed this with specific tracks earlier in the thread. No need to bore everyone by repeating it endlessly.

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #3,113 of 3,209
The Sennheiser HD 800 S, is selling for $1,699 USD (now discounted to $1,355 USD) which is excellent with the SAEQ amplifier btw, is a faster and lighter sounding headphone than The Composer. It also has a higher energy level with more explicit upper mids and livelier top end. The Composer in returns sounds a tad slower, but fuller, with bigger body and bass impact (sub bass). The mid punch is far more present in The Composer and the vocals are more forward placed. The clarity and control are good in The Composer but the HD 800 S does take this a serious step further. We could also say that the HD 800 S is the more typical reference audiophile tuned headphone, where The Composer is the more fun, musical and engaging one with more body but with an excellent resolution.

Resolve is right. Composer is one tier below HD800S. Maybe you guys still don't find best amp for HD800S. Try SAEQ PDA-1b like on Headfonia review

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #3,114 of 3,209
The Sennheiser HD 800 S, is selling for $1,699 USD (now discounted to $1,355 USD) which is excellent with the SAEQ amplifier btw, is a faster and lighter sounding headphone than The Composer. It also has a higher energy level with more explicit upper mids and livelier top end. The Composer in returns sounds a tad slower, but fuller, with bigger body and bass impact (sub bass). The mid punch is far more present in The Composer and the vocals are more forward placed. The clarity and control are good in The Composer but the HD 800 S does take this a serious step further. We could also say that the HD 800 S is the more typical reference audiophile tuned headphone, where The Composer is the more fun, musical and engaging one with more body but with an excellent resolution.

Resolve is right. Composer is one tier below HD800S. Maybe you guys still don't find best amp for HD800S. Try SAEQ PDA-1b like on Headfonia review
Every thing you wrote above your last statement is exactly why I like composer better. Bass matter the most to me. I do not like bass-light sound. And as I said to MY ears the composer is one of the best headphones I have heard. But obviously we all hear differently and different things matter more so different people. I couldn’t believe Resolves subjective opinions were so negative after all the positive objective things he mentioned before. I guess he just doesn’t value bass like I do haha

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #3,115 of 3,209

You're just cherry picking to make your point. Rather than cherry pick myself, I will; just refer to the bottom line: Headphonia puts the composer on it's recommended list, even though in some ways the HD800S bested it. That is night and day different from resolves review which could be summerized as the composer is too expensive. Headphonia is obviously not saying that.

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #3,116 of 3,209
Every thing you wrote above your last statement is exactly why I like composer better. Bass matter the most to me. I do not like bass-light sound. And as I said to MY ears the composer is one of the best headphones I have heard. But obviously we all hear differently and different things matter more so different people. I couldn’t believe Resolves subjective opinions were so negative after all the positive objective things he mentioned before. I guess he just doesn’t value bass like I do haha
If you like bass why not try planar headphones ?

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #3,117 of 3,209
To be fair, his review wasn't that negative. He prefers a more harmon type of bass response, rather than the more linear response of the Composer. In addition although he liked the Composer, he felt that it was priced too high given the competition.

But I am with you, the Composer is clearly better than the HD800S. So far I have had 20 or so friends listen to the composer, back to back with the HD800 and the stax sr007. Everyone has considered the composer to be the better headphone. The only complaint about the compser has been the fit for smaller heads.

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #3,118 of 3,209
If you like bass why not try planar headphones ?
The Composer has better bass than nearly any other open back. Most of the high end planars don't go as deep into the sub bass as the composer.

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #3,119 of 3,209
I think we have discussed this ad nauseam already… to me it’s Tübinger way round, I see the Composer ahead of the HD800S. Which is not bad, especially at that reduced price, but still not for me.
And yes, one reason for me is that the Composers bass reaches down really low with good impact and structure. I can and do live with basslight headphones, but there I prefer the liveliness of the GS3000x over the colder HD800S.

Still a thing of taste… so I would not necessarily talk about Right and Wrong, but I don’t share the view of those who prefer the HD800S. Simple as that.

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #3,120 of 3,209
I think we have discussed this ad nauseam already… to me it’s Tübinger way round, I see the Composer ahead of the HD800S. Which is not bad, especially at that reduced price, but still not for me.
And yes, one reason for me is that the Composers bass reaches down really low with good impact and structure. I can and do live with basslight headphones, but there I prefer the liveliness of the GS3000x over the colder HD800S.

Still a thing of taste… so I would not necessarily talk about Right and Wrong, but I don’t share the view of those who prefer the HD800S. Simple as that.
Except for symphony and most chamber music, the composer is better than the HD800S. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back