THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Feb 3, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #1,996 of 3,435
It's not just him(ASR). The whole idea that because one owns a measurement rig and thus is considered a reviewer is absolutely mad. Complete affectation.
I love this... I love to write about audio gear, but at the end of the day I am no professional and I do it because I enjoy it. How something sounds to someone and whether they feel their money is well spent is all that matters.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #1,997 of 3,435
@S Crowther

Yes, it's a really great experience what you get with the Composer that what the HD800/S always didn't offer and withheld from you in terms of performance 😎
(and the nice thing is, you hear and notice this from the first second when you compre it....wish you a great time with this Headphone 👍)

NOMAX

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #1,998 of 3,435
I love this... I love to write about audio gear, but at the end of the day I am no professional and I do it because I enjoy it. At the end of the day, how something sounds to someone and whether they feel their money is well spent is all that matters.
It's not just him(ASR). The whole idea that because one owns a measurement rig and thus is considered a reviewer is absolutely mad. Complete affectation.
Not really different from just because someone has good connections and/or money to afford HPs becomes a self appointed reviewer with loads of arrogance to dictate what others should be and do. I have hard time understanding this habit of non-stop attacking the ASR. If you don't like it, just ignore it.

Feb 3, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #1,999 of 3,435
Emotions? Who wants emotions? I want accuracy.
I find this interesting . Emotion compared to what? Accuracy is your defacto emotion. It brings you joy and happiness either sonically, and/or the joy and happiness thinking you are hearing the most “accurate”. You do you. 👍

Enjoy the music

LEO

Feb 3, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #2,000 of 3,435
Yes, much smoother in the highs and much more body and pressure from low end than many many years ago 😎
(Actually, anyone who uses a model with a roll-off for comparison will hear it what he missed😉)
Re: K812?
I find this interesting . Emotion compared to what?
That's where this hobby gets complicated.
When reading most of the reviews and observations I'm not sure I'm hearing about the headphones or the music.
The ideal phone for me is the chameleon, where they are just the messenger and on each recording the sonic is different.
Technically I'd say the previous K812/K872, while not totally neutral, did/do this rather well so that there's a sensation, at least for me, of listening to a direct feed and the recordings are all very different. If they were speakers I'd say I'm with the musicians or in the recording or performance space....but headphones will never do this.
Accuracy is your defacto emotion.
Yep..if ones system is accurate the original soundwaves should come through unchanged, not sounding cooler, warmer etc and be the bearer of the emotions we get from from the music and not the headphones.
So what I'd really like to know does the new Composer with the old AKG team carry the traits of the K800 series but improve on it .....or just another troubadour giving their underlying interpretations.
Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 10.33.17 AM.png
Just curious. :)

Feb 3, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #2,001 of 3,435
@Rob80b

Many years ago it was still fashionable to exaggerate in a certain area to impress......K812,HD800,etc etc
People/and manufacturer have slowly moved away from that, at the moment they are trying to create an impression with an exaggeration in a different area
Wow it has so much bass...thats great...I love it (Especially at the Can Jams and trade fairs, this has an immediate effect to create an impression and to impress someone😉)
However, if you listen more closely, you quickly notice that this new fashion doesn't really have anything to do with the recording
Low end/bass yes...but I prefer quality over quantity in this area
How much bass quantity is legitimate?
Everyone has to find out for themselves and for the tracks/genres he is listens to 👍
And I can assure you of one thing...the bass of the Composer has the best quality next to my HE1👍
In the mids and highs, however, someone else from the USA is probably ahead of me personally😎
❗️So there are reasons why we, as enthusiasts, don't just listen to one model ❗
❗️However, two for at home and one for on the go should be enough to cover your genres❗

NOMAX

PS.Only a very honest opinion and view from a crazy guy from Austria😎

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #2,002 of 3,435
However, if you listen more closely, you quickly notice that this new fashion doesn't really have anything to do with the recording
I'm seeing hearing that.:rolling_eyes:
Everyone has to find out for themselves and for the tracks/genres he is listens to 👍

NOMAX
Life's complicated. At least having multiple sets of headphones, relatively speaking to a high-end speaker rig, is rather affordable. :beyersmile:

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #2,003 of 3,435
Many years ago it was still fashionable to exaggerate in a certain area to impress......K812,HD800,etc etc
Giving this a bit more thought...as we get older and unavoidably lose some of our hearing, especially in the higher frequencies, the K812 and HD800 may be highly sought after by us seniors....at least mine are not going anywhere.
Wow it has so much bass...thats great...I love it
....and then there are compensations. :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #2,004 of 3,435
Not really different from just because someone has good connections and/or money to afford HPs becomes a self appointed reviewer with loads of arrogance to dictate what others should be and do. I have hard time understanding this habit of non-stop attacking the ASR. If you don't like it, just ignore it.
Same thing for the people who write reviews and can afford nice stuff. Just ignore it! Not that hard.... And by your signature it looks like you can afford plenty. What makes you think that a self appointed reviewer does it for the arrogance of it all? That is awfully presumptuous and I take offense to that. I review quite regularly, never get paid, use no measurement tools and try to write what I hear. I do my own editing, photos, and I do it from my heart. I expect nothing in return, and hope that I can give back in a small way to this community. If I can help one person make an informed decision because they lock onto my way of thinking, or they read something that makes sense to them and will help them to better connect their purchase to their chain and senses then it is a worthwhile endeavor.

ASR is a different animal. It is a cult. I have no issue with Amir reviewing and liking or disliking something. He can measure it anyway he thinks is right and that is fine. But, that isn't what happens over there. And it doesn't mean that what he hears or measures is any more accurate or right than the so called rich arrogant guy reviewing for their own kicks as you say.

When Amir likes something you get 20 pages of people lauding the product and talking about how Amir and his review are the greatest thing ever. If he doesn't recommend it, they spend 20 pages disparaging the product, the designer or manufacturer and anyone who would use it. That isn't healthy. The difference between misinformation and disinformation. I once observed a thread where they absolutely blew up a designer over a picture of the internals of an amp. They didn't listen to it, they didn't measure it (Isn't that what they do?), they just decided that the inside of the box didn't meet Amir's lofty standards, and therefore they made this person out to be the devil of audio. This person happens to sell for his cost and is one of the most talented people in the industry. Not to mention, this type of stuff can hurt people and that isn't what this hobby is for. It is meant to be inclusionary, not exclusionary.

So, when you make statements that are just plain mean, keep it to yourself and just ignore those reviews. Hopefully, those reviews help someone make an informed decision. You have no idea why they are reviewing or what their connections are. As a reviewer, one who doesn't write all that often, but will write 5-6 reviews a year I find what you are saying to be ludicrous and further states why ASR is so unhealthy for the community at large.

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #2,005 of 3,435
...as we get older and unavoidably lose some of our hearing, especially in the higher frequencies, the K812 and HD800 may be highly sought after by us seniors....

We're all not getting any younger...I'm also approaching fifty soon🙈😇

NOMAX

PS.The important thing is that we still continue to enjoy our hobby 👍

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #2,006 of 3,435
And I am sincerely apologetic for going off topic. To the OP of this thread, please except my apology. But, I just couldn't let that go. I needed to respond. Back to the Composer and apparently the HD800S. I was just at Canjam in Dallas and didn't see the Composer there to try. If it was there and I missed it that is on me. I wanted to hear it. I did listen to the HD800S on their HDVA820 AIO, and it was lovely... Outside of the 6k peak, the treble is like glass, and the midrange is so informative. That is one musical headphone. I also quite enjoyed the HD820, which I wasn't expecting to like. It was extremely smooth and felt like the type of headphone for a Sunday morning listening to Charlie Hunter's rendition of the album Natty Dread. If you haven't heard it, it is well worth a listen...

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #2,007 of 3,435
@geoffalter11

The track has some low frequency parts,and parts with body,but not a lot ...just listen to it with the composer and compare it yourself 👍
You should immediately recognize the difference that you didn't hear before

NOMAX

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #2,008 of 3,435
@geoffalter11

The track has some low frequency parts,but not a lot ...just listen to it with the composer and compare it yourself 👍
You should immediately recognize the difference that you didn't hear before

NOMAX
Oh, I don't have the Composer. I hope to one day. I didn't get to try it at Canjam, unfortunately. Yes, his rhythm section is fantastic, and Charlie is an extremely melodic and talented guitar player with a great band behind him.

Feb 3, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #2,009 of 3,435
I personally don't like acoustic guitars at all when it plays alone 😝 ....but this one fascinates me a bit 😎

NOMAX

PS.When he knocks on them it comes across really well with the composer👍
From minute 2.40 to 3.08 is really fascinating
Part of the performance takes place behind my ear👍👍

IMG_9775.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #2,010 of 3,435
And I am sincerely apologetic for going off topic. To the OP of this thread, please except my apology. But, I just couldn't let that go. I needed to respond. Back to the Composer and apparently the HD800S. I was just at Canjam in Dallas and didn't see the Composer there to try. If it was there and I missed it that is on me. I wanted to hear it. I did listen to the HD800S on their HDVA820 AIO, and it was lovely... Outside of the 6k peak, the treble is like glass, and the midrange is so informative. That is one musical headphone. I also quite enjoyed the HD820, which I wasn't expecting to like. It was extremely smooth and felt like the type of headphone for a Sunday morning listening to Charlie Hunter's rendition of the album Natty Dread. If you haven't heard it, it is well worth a listen...

Queued up to listen to next. I lived on the Island for a couple years and I can tell you Bob Marley's music is everywhere, all the time. He's a national treasure over there.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back