The Closed Wars: MrSpeakers ETHER C vs. Audeze LCD-XC vs. Fostex TH900 vs. MrSpeakers Alpha Prime vs Fostex TH-X00 - Comparison
Jan 22, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #166 of 187
I'd like to see some comparisons with the AudioQuest NightOwl.
I was able to audition them at a Best Buy and the only thing that lacked was sub-bass.
What really impressed me was their 3D-like holographic soundstage, smooth highs and punchy mid-bass. A really great can.
I owned the NightOwl and it was a very nice headphone. It had a somewhat odd, but in no way unpleasant sound signature that took a little getting used to, but once I was acclimated to it I really enjoyed it. I think it was in the midrange where the signature was tuned to be unique. All round a really nice headphone that I look forward to hearing again soon.

Dec 3, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #167 of 187
I will also be interested to hear the HD820. May be finally there will be an isolating closed headphone as good as the TOL open back headphones ??

I auditioned the 820 and a few headphones at a shop. Here is my preliminary thoughts on headphones ranked best to worst:

1. Beyerdynamic t5p: Reaches analytical levels of detail and resolution while remaining fun. The only headphones that allowed me to get lost in my music. Fun sounding, treble is sparkly but rolls off right before becoming harsh (perfect). Mids are absolutely lush. Full and thick and velvety with vocals. Bass is tight, controlled & punchy with excellent texture. Over-all detail is controlled, sounded the most musical of the lot. The angled drivers do give a sense of soundstage that seems to give air to lows, mids and highs. My ears are tiny so super comfortable as well. Isolation was the best with this headphone too: the shop owners were talking 3 meters away from me and I couldn't hear them at all. My music was enveloping me. And I was hearing things I never heard before. Also the only pair of headphones that made bad recordings sound musical and lively. I think I love this headphone?
2. Denon D7200: My second favourite sounding headphone, take everything about the t5p and add a little more rumble to the bass (gives the feeling it extends deeper) and wider sound stage. This comes at the expense of sound leakage with a more semi-open design. Isolates similarly to the TH900.
3. Sennheiser HD820: Large, thick sound. Detail retrieval is good but boring. Closed back brings in soundstage. More intimate, but also definitely more congested than the HD800 and HD800s. It lacks the air around the lows, mids and highs the t5p had, but sounded more fuller as a result. I found this headphone to be pretty meh, considering it's more expensive than the HD800s, which sounds better, even at the expense of open back design, because these don't even block out sound that well. These isolate similarly to the TH900 and D7200, i.e. the closed back is actually more 'semi-open,' sound will still leak in/out of the headphone.
4. Fostex TH900: I'm surprised this made it so far down my own list. I agree with another reviewer's opinion here - I don't understand why people love these headphones. I'm looking for cans for predominantly Techno/house music and these headphones seemed to be it. However the bass was too rumbly and deep for my liking (seemed inaccurate, but there was heaps of it). I definitely "felt" it but it was over-whelming. Too much. And the mids were very meh. Treble was OK. I found the headphone boring and uninspiring. Suffers the same semi-open problem as the D7200 and HD820.
5. Focal Elegia: I disagree with certain reviewers who claim this is a better purchase cost-price ratio and beats the t5p. I'm paying the extra 500 to get the t5p, because it's better in every way. The Focal Elegia in a word is boring. The detail is there, but it's not engaging. Though at the $600 mark, I'm not sure what other closed back options there are. Either way, I wouldn't buy it.

If anyone has any questions, I'll try my best to answer them based on my personal subjective experience. I've read reports the Ether Flow C is marginally better than the t5p in every way, so I will be auditioning that next.

Dec 3, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #168 of 187
I auditioned the 820 and a few headphones at a shop. Here is my preliminary thoughts on headphones ranked best to worst:

1. Beyerdynamic t5p: Reaches analytical levels of detail and resolution while remaining fun. The only headphones that allowed me to get lost in my music. Fun sounding, treble is sparkly but rolls off right before becoming harsh (perfect). Mids are absolutely lush. Full and thick and velvety with vocals. Bass is tight, controlled & punchy with excellent texture. Over-all detail is controlled, sounded the most musical of the lot. The angled drivers do give a sense of soundstage that seems to give air to lows, mids and highs. My ears are tiny so super comfortable as well. Isolation was the best with this headphone too: the shop owners were talking 3 meters away from me and I couldn't hear them at all. My music was enveloping me. And I was hearing things I never heard before. Also the only pair of headphones that made bad recordings sound musical and lively. I think I love this headphone?
2. Denon D7200: My second favourite sounding headphone, take everything about the t5p and add a little more rumble to the bass (gives the feeling it extends deeper) and wider sound stage. This comes at the expense of sound leakage with a more semi-open design. Isolates similarly to the TH900.
3. Sennheiser HD820: Large, thick sound. Detail retrieval is good but boring. Closed back brings in soundstage. More intimate, but also definitely more congested than the HD800 and HD800s. It lacks the air around the lows, mids and highs the t5p had, but sounded more fuller as a result. I found this headphone to be pretty meh, considering it's more expensive than the HD800s, which sounds better, even at the expense of open back design, because these don't even block out sound that well. These isolate similarly to the TH900 and D7200, i.e. the closed back is actually more 'semi-open,' sound will still leak in/out of the headphone.
4. Fostex TH900: I'm surprised this made it so far down my own list. I agree with another reviewer's opinion here - I don't understand why people love these headphones. I'm looking for cans for predominantly Techno/house music and these headphones seemed to be it. However the bass was too rumbly and deep for my liking (seemed inaccurate, but there was heaps of it). I definitely "felt" it but it was over-whelming. Too much. And the mids were very meh. Treble was OK. I found the headphone boring and uninspiring. Suffers the same semi-open problem as the D7200 and HD820.
5. Focal Elegia: I disagree with certain reviewers who claim this is a better purchase cost-price ratio and beats the t5p. I'm paying the extra 500 to get the t5p, because it's better in every way. The Focal Elegia in a word is boring. The detail is there, but it's not engaging. Though at the $600 mark, I'm not sure what other closed back options there are. Either way, I wouldn't buy it.

If anyone has any questions, I'll try my best to answer them based on my personal subjective experience. I've read reports the Ether Flow C is marginally better than the t5p in every way, so I will be auditioning that next.
A nice read. How old are you ? What were the tracks you used to evaluate these headphones ? What amp, dac were used ? Thxs

Dec 3, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #169 of 187
How old are you ?
Just turned 31 mate :)

What were the tracks you used to evaluate these headphones ?
I used Tidal with Hi-Fi Streaming quality. Relevant song links below.

1. Electro Guzzi - Tourin

2. Front Line Assembly - Stealth Mech

3. Golden Vessel - Borrowed Time (feat. Tiana Khasi)

4. Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

5. Darius - Espoir

6. Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name

7. Danheim - Ulfhednar:

8. The Chemical Brothers - Free Yourself

9. Lorn - Mercy

10. Björk - Hunter

11. Active Child - Hanging On

12. Eagles - Hotel California

What amp, dac were used ?

Questyle CMA600I Headphone Amplifier & DAC:
Product Link
Article Link
Video Review Link

You're absolutely welcome! Please do share any track suggestions that I can audition on my next visit to the store :o2smile:

Dec 3, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #170 of 187
Just turned 31 mate :)

I used Tidal with Hi-Fi Streaming quality. Relevant song links below.

1. Electro Guzzi - Tourin

2. Front Line Assembly - Stealth Mech

3. Golden Vessel - Borrowed Time (feat. Tiana Khasi)

4. Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

5. Darius - Espoir

6. Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name

7. Danheim - Ulfhednar:

8. The Chemical Brothers - Free Yourself

9. Lorn - Mercy

10. Björk - Hunter

11. Active Child - Hanging On

12. Eagles - Hotel California

Questyle CMA600I Headphone Amplifier & DAC:
Product Link
Article Link
Video Review Link

You're absolutely welcome! Please do share any track suggestions that I can audition on my next visit to the store :o2smile:
Ive seen FLA four times live, my fav Industrial band. You can try this track.

Dec 3, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #171 of 187

TH900 sounds very bad if your amp doesn’t fit with them. Basically all SS amps except luxman amps doesn’t fit very well with th900. Some tubes or hybrids like Schiit amps that without a really good control of sound makes th900 sounds bad as well.
Finding a good matched amp for th900 is even harder than find a good matchup for utopia. As far as I tried, Cayin HA300 is so far the best, the second is pathos.

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #172 of 187
TH900 sounds very bad if your amp doesn’t fit with them. Basically all SS amps except luxman amps doesn’t fit very well with th900. Some tubes or hybrids like Schiit amps that without a really good control of sound makes th900 sounds bad as well.
Finding a good matched amp for th900 is even harder than find a good matchup for utopia. As far as I tried, Cayin HA300 is so far the best, the second is pathos.
Cayin N8 with the TH900 is wonderfull.

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #173 of 187
Cayin N8 with the TH900 is wonderfull.

What about the Luxman P-200? It's available to audition in store. I'll give it a go next time I'm in. They don't have any Cayin's unfortunately.

Dec 3, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #175 of 187
What about the Luxman P-200? It's available to audition in store. I'll give it a go next time I'm in. They don't have any Cayin's unfortunately.
I think it will be a good match, all of luxman except p700 which is designed for higher resistance headphones, sounds pretty good with th900. I personally tried p1u which is a very good matchup.

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #177 of 187
I am an LCD XC guy. All headphones mentioned in this closed war are quite great, but it is that planar mid range sound with the XC's I just love .
Honestly between the fostex th900 and the XC's one is clearly not better than the other...just different. I also choose the XC noise isolation . it is a bit better than the 900's and flows .
Been wanting to buy the XC's for a really long time now. I hope one day I will get to pull the trigger . :)
I know I will absolutely love them with my Qutest DAC and SOLOIST SL .:)

Dec 3, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #178 of 187
I am an LCD XC guy. All headphones mentioned in this closed war are quite great, but it is that planar mid range sound with the XC's I just love .
Honestly between the fostex th900 and the XC's one is clearly not better than the other...just different. I also choose the XC noise isolation . it is a bit better than the 900's and flows .
Been wanting to buy the XC's for a really long time now. I hope one day I will get to pull the trigger . :)
I know I will absolutely love them with my Qutest DAC and SOLOIST SL .:)
What's comfort like compared to the th900 and ether flow C's like though? I can wear either headphones on my head all day no problem. I don't get that same impression with the XC. Can you clarify?

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #179 of 187
What's comfort like compared to the th900 and ether flow C's like though? I can wear either headphones on my head all day no problem. I don't get that same impression with the XC. Can you clarify?

Sure. The XC's, provided you get a 2017 or 2018 model, have an updated more comfortable headband and it minimizes their hearty 776G weight . they are the heaviest but it doesn't bother me at all. Their clamping force is comfortable and I like the leather pads more than the vegan ones .
The flows are the most comfortable of the 3 I think, but XC's sound Sig I like the most .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back