The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Feb 20, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #6,166 of 6,329
Just to add to this, there is a separate Harman curve representing neutrality - the Harman in-room linear response curve. DCA and many HiFiMans can easily be EQ'd to this tuning. It's worth trying when experimenting to find out what frequency response you prefer, though it's not what most people prefer according to their research.
What do you think of your new E3s and how do you compare them with your previous headphones? (and also if you don't mind to reply what I posted in it's thread, thanks) :beerchug:

Feb 20, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #6,167 of 6,329
If you want the best sound isolation, the NDH20 has the highest I've encountered (almost as much as my custom inears which is impressive), but it has little soundstage.
Since you mentioned the DT990 being too boomy, I'm also going to recommend the Aeon Noire (or Aeon 2 Closed is the same if you prefer the red color, just order the perforated pads from DCA extra and put them on instead) for its stage size, good isolation and for non-EQ people the ability to tune with cloth filters.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #6,169 of 6,329
Hi, guys! I'm a new here and need an advice on choosing close-back headphones with GOOD (Best prob?) isolation of outgoing sound. Am not so good in english, but I'll try to describe my problem.
Due to life circumstances now I am force to listening music in the same room with a sleeping son.
In my setup now full open DT990pro, and "closed" (lol) Fostex Th-600, that play outside just as loudly.
The only available for now option was my old ath-m50, wich are very inferior in sound quality.
I'm not a big fan of iem for home use, especially after ear surgery, so I really need your advice.
I want to choose headphones with the best possible sound isolation and decent sound quality, which in this regard would not be a step back relative to th600.
I listen to a wide variety of musical genres and wanted wider soundstage, more pronounced and tasty mids when th600 gives. The bass in them is ok for me, and after 6 years with them I gained resistance to sibilants lol.
DT990 now seems to me too dark and boomy for some reason.
Also have always wanted to try planars, but if there are dynamic alternatives, then go on.
My budget for headphones is 1000$ or something like that (resale is not a problem).
Now I'm watching on Audeze LCD-2 Close/Lcd-XC, DCA Aeon 2 Noire, Hifiman Audivina, or, as dynamic option Hifiman R10d, some Kennerton models, like Gjallarhorn or Rognir. Or maybe save some money with dt 1770pro or shure 1540😄.
If you guys have tried any of these or have any suggestions, I would be very greatfull! Thanks!
If you want best passive isolation - AKG K872 no question. It has better than average sound stage for a closed back, good imaging, comfort and resolution and stages well.

Feb 20, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #6,170 of 6,329
The K872 seems quite unique, if you can't try before buying I encourage buying from a store with a good return policy. This is from Crinacle:

1708483236135.png

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #6,172 of 6,329
Thanks guys! I'll add the top Audio-Technica headphones and K872 to my shortlist and try to get them to listen to

I have the K872 and they're an excellent pair of headphones, but they're also very revealing/unforgiving which can leave subpar recordings sounding like garbage. Having let a few friends try them out for a couple weeks everyone can pretty much agree that they're exceptional for studio monitoring and mixing applications, but folks are very mixed on their opinions about enjoying music with them. Personally, I love mine for both, but I'd rec a demo or purchasing from somewhere with a good return policy just in case.

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #6,173 of 6,329
If you want the best sound isolation, the NDH20 has the highest I've encountered (almost as much as my custom inears which is impressive), but it has little soundstage.
Since you mentioned the DT990 being too boomy, I'm also going to recommend the Aeon Noire (or Aeon 2 Closed is the same if you prefer the red color, just order the perforated pads from DCA extra and put them on instead) for its stage size, good isolation and for non-EQ people the ability to tune with cloth filters.
To my shame I have never heard of NDH 20. Looks like portable ones. I'll read more about them

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #6,174 of 6,329
Why haven't sennheiser been releasing better low cost to high end closed backs?

Im a bit surprised of that. I mean there's no buzz about there closed back headphones like HD600/650/800S. They usually know what they are doing in the HP market. They haven't seem to mastered the closed back game. Similar with Hifiman yet Imo.

Maybe Sennhesiser reserve does for the Wireless offerings.

Feb 21, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #6,175 of 6,329

Im a bit surprised of that. I mean there's no buzz about there closed back headphones like HD600/650/800S. They usually know what they are doing in the HP market. They haven't seem to mastered the closed back game. Similar with Hifiman yet Imo.

It seems like the knowledge to make a good closed back and a good open back are different. From what I can see, Audeze (LCD XC), Senn (HD820) and Hifiman (Audivina) closed back offerings are definitely more divisive than their open back offerings. On the other hand, Dan Clark seems to actually excel better in closed backs, Denon solely specializes in closed backs, Grado specializes in open backs, AKG / Beyerdynamic / Fostex / Meze seem to be hit and miss on both sides, while Audio-Technica and Focal seem to be generally great at both.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #6,176 of 6,329
It seems like the knowledge to make a good closed back and a good open back are different. From what I can see, Audeze (LCD XC), Senn (HD820) and Hifiman (Audivina) closed back offerings are definitely more divisive than their open back offerings. On the other hand, Dan Clark seems to actually excel better in closed backs, Denon solely specializes in closed backs, Grado specializes in open backs, AKG / Beyerdynamic / Fostex / Meze seem to be hit and miss on both sides, while Audio-Technica and Focal seem to be generally great at both.
ZMF nails both too!

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #6,177 of 6,329

I think Sennheiser open backs are divisive as well, yes they have garnered a fanbase bubble online and reviewers praise them to no end but IRL most people i know who are in the game don't think very highly of their open backs either, second point, most companies are just terrible at making true closed backs - if you exclude all fostex and denons, which only really isolate the higher frequencies decently and are a far cry from in ear isolation, there's not much decent stuff left, so from my point of view, it's no surprise how senn's closed backs turned out. I'm sure their classics had their place 20 years ago when the market was different though.
Overall though the closed back market has certainly gotten better.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #6,178 of 6,329
I think Sennheiser open backs are divisive as well, yes they have garnered a fanbase bubble online and reviewers praise them to no end but IRL most people i know who are in the game don't think very highly of their open backs either, second point, most companies are just terrible at making true closed backs - if you exclude all fostex and denons, which only really isolate the higher frequencies decently and are a far cry from in ear isolation, there's not much decent stuff left, so from my point of view, it's no surprise how senn's closed backs turned out. I'm sure their classics had their place 20 years ago when the market was different though.
Overall though the closed back market has certainly gotten better.
Yes, decent closed back headphones are technically much harder to do according to feedback from multiple vendors. Yet I much prefer closed back due to the versatility… I don’t need CIEM levels of isolation though.

In the past Beyerdynamic and Dan Clark were quite reliable in that regard, as were Denon. And I still love the old original M-100…

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #6,179 of 6,329
For the last 2 years of doing the net research on anything up to 2k (the E3 have raised the budget bar (in theory at least) I've wanted the NH20 to be better than what I've read. The black ones are top 5 best looking and that's why.. but the cons I've read can't justify it. But damn the Black Edition are gorge.

Feb 21, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #6,180 of 6,329
For the last 2 years of doing the net research on anything up to 2k (the E3 have raised the budget bar (in theory at least) I've wanted the NH20 to be better than what I've read. The black ones are top 5 best looking and that's why.. but the cons I've read can't justify it. But damn the Black Edition are gorge.
It probably wouldn't help if I told you that they look even better IRL than on photos, you've done your research so I'm not going to sway you... or am I? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back