The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Oct 17, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #5,971 of 6,351
I received my second Shure SRH-840A just yesterday, after trying them out in January and ultimately sending them back. It's not that I did not like them at the time, quite to the contrary... but keeping with my mantra of reduced headcount I decided I don't need another cabled closed back headphone. "Need" is a very flexible word...

Over the past few weeks I tried to give each headphone I currently have some head time, and was a bit irritated that the DT700, which I liked quite a bit initially did not make it past a few minutes each time. The Austrian Audio Hi-X60 I did use for longer btw, and was actively reaching for it at times. Both things gave me pause... and now I'm thinking about selling the DT700. Which leaves room for a new headphone, and this is where the 840A came in: it has a pleasurable signature with deep enough bass, smooth treble and those nice and full mids Shure headphones and in-ears often show. Being quite comfortable and light also helped...

I really like the design, the well-padded headband that follows the line of the head quite closely, those gold accents... nice. The cups could be a bit deeper, but they are still comfortable. I don't like the 3m cable that much, and there seems to be no 1,5m-2m option available (I don't like third-party cables with that raw nylon sheeting, they are not flexible enough and generally quite a PITA to handle). Maybe I'll try the coiled cable... I would have preferred mini-xlr instead of that 2,5mm connector with the proprietary locking mechanism though.

They are really lightweight, even on the edge of feeling a bit flimsy, but since the 840 had problems with the headband and Shure redid that part I guess its robust enough.

Soundwise they are still really nice, digging down real low without overwhelming the midrange: the slight emphasis is just on low bass, not midbass or lower mids. Voices sound natural and clear without sharp edges. Treble is inoffensive, yet detailed. They won't replace my old-time favorite M-100, but I can imagine actually using them at times.. Which seems enough to grant temporary shelter I guess.
Me also 840a, delighted discoverer of best sounding sub 5(?)00 cans there are. What a total f win

Oct 18, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #5,974 of 6,351
It will be fine if t5.3 is on par with Radiance in technical realm as I want something more forgiving in closed back version. I know ZMF stuff gets lot's of attention, but they are more for desktop use.

Needed something easy to drive which I could pack it for my travels. I was seriously considering airpods max after hearing them in shop, but my "audiophile" side said no and pulled trigger for beyers
Kennerton Gjallarhorn perhaps?

Oct 18, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #5,975 of 6,351
Aaaahhhh... Good point and very true! The 99's are not going to make a on of sense lying in bed on a pillow. I may be taking a risk on this platform by saying this but I'll throw this out anyway... I bought a pair of Apple AirPods Max wireless headphones for travel and the occasional watching content, late night via phone or computer. The isolation is excellent. The sounds is VERY good and they simple work wonderfully for when I need a specific "sound solution" You can pick up a refurbished pair (which will be guaranteed) from Amazon for your price point and YES, you can lay left or right side on a pillow and make it work 100% There I said it... don't judge me Head-Fi...LOL!!
99 Classics are actual quite small. No issues lying down with them. As I stated, I workout on a flat bench with dumbbells while wearing them...and I have a smallish head.

Oct 31, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #5,976 of 6,351
So clocked 30+ hours on the Focal Radiance now, and I can say I've now owned and tried every Focal, for some reason.

Stellia is the Focal I've spent the most time with (500+ hrs use) and I'd say Radiance along with Stellia leans alternative in Focals lineup. They are exceptional, the detail retrieval is excellent but dialled back slightly from the likes of a Clear or Celestee. But they have the thing most non berylium Focals lack, timbre, warmth, thickness, lushness. While still being technically superb.

I'd say price taken into account, with these sitting at 700ish on the used market, these are the best value hifi closed back on the market that I've tried and the most likely favourite for the average person. These are very enjoyable and would seriously make me question forking out the extra 1.5-2k for a Stellia. Actually, they'd make that proposition seem outright mad for anyone who is not making six figures. Because while Stellia are undoubtebly more detailed and exciting, Radiance bring some extra body, some extra meat on the bone, while still being plenty detailed and dynamic.

Plus, Radiance is a headphone you can wear outdoors and not feel odd about. Stellia & Celestee, imo, just aren't headphones i'd wear in public, while Radiance just looks like a headphone, albeit still a very beautiful one, the black is much easier to work with without drawing overt attention.

Oh and with regards to Celestee/Elegia, i easily prefer the Radiance. Not even close. Technically they're all fairly similar but the Radiance has the biggest staging and overall sense of size, while being tuned far more agreeably than either of the others.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #5,977 of 6,351
So clocked 30+ hours on the Focal Radiance now, and I can say I've now owned and tried every Focal, for some reason.

Stellia is the Focal I've spent the most time with (500+ hrs use) and I'd say Radiance along with Stellia leans alternative in Focals lineup. They are exceptional, the detail retrieval is excellent but dialled back slightly from the likes of a Clear or Celestee. But they have the thing most non berylium Focals lack, timbre, warmth, thickness, lushness. While still being technically superb.

I'd say price taken into account, with these sitting at 700ish on the used market, these are the best value hifi closed back on the market that I've tried and the most likely favourite for the average person. These are very enjoyable and would seriously make me question forking out the extra 1.5-2k for a Stellia. Actually, they'd make that proposition seem outright mad. Because while Stellia are undoubtebly more detailed and exciting, Radiance bring some extra body, some extra meat on the bone, while still being plenty detailed and dynamic.

Plus, Radiance is a headphone you can wear outdoors and not feel odd about. Stellia & Celestee, imo, just aren't headphones i'd wear in public, while Radiance just looks like a headphone, albeit still a very beautiful one, the black is much easier to work with without drawing overt attention.

Oh and with regards to Celestee/Elegia, i easily prefer the Radiance. Not even close. Technically they're all fairly similar but the Radiance has the biggest staging and overall sense of size, while being tuned far more agreeably than either of the others.
Radiance is a gem. Give the Aliexpress pads a try if you want a bit more stage :)

Interesting you wouldn't wear the Celestee out and about - I think that's even more discreet than the Radiance (less bling?) but it's all subjective. I'd wear the Radiance or Celestee outdoors but agree the Stellia is too garish.

Nov 5, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #5,978 of 6,351
What closed back models would contrast the most with the Elegia in terms of sound signature? Preferably with similarly sized ear pads.

Bonus points if I can use 3.5mm plugs on both sides, but that isn’t a dealbreaker.

Nov 5, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #5,979 of 6,351
What closed back models would contrast the most with the Elegia in terms of sound signature? Preferably with similarly sized ear pads.

Bonus points if I can use 3.5mm plugs on both sides, but that isn’t a dealbreaker.
If the less isolating Fostex count as closed back: the TH900 (OG=red/green, not anniversary).
Edit: to explain a little further, the Elegia's focus on vocals and moderate treble presence is turned on its head with the 900. It's all rhythm. If you listen to Grimes her vocals are somewhere in the back, whereas high hats sound like whiplashes and of course, the bass is legendary. If the 900 is a 250lbs or so bodybuilder on steroids, the Elegia is an 100 lbs teenage girl and the Sonorous VI from Final is a weird combination of both with Focal dynamics, sub bass and treble are quite present and 900ish and female vocals like an Audio Technica, basically made for female vocals, strings, percussion, sub bass but falls short with anything else, so basically an alternative to some of the Audio Technica stuff (except lots of ATs don't have sub bass) I also have the AD 2000 which sounds like a less extreme version of the Sonorous, I'd probably take the AD2000 for something like Joanna Newsom and the Sonorous VI for Grimes. Doesn't sound as natural as the Aeon Noire for organic music, but a good excuse to own multiple headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #5,980 of 6,351
Radiance is a gem. Give the Aliexpress pads a try if you want a bit more stage :)

Interesting you wouldn't wear the Celestee out and about - I think that's even more discreet than the Radiance (less bling?) but it's all subjective. I'd wear the Radiance or Celestee outdoors but agree the Stellia is too garish.
What pads do you mean for Radiance? I've Dekoni pads and these are pretty good, much better than original.

Nov 5, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #5,981 of 6,351
Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #5,984 of 6,351
@yrstruly Have you experienced anything like this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231105_224354_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20231105_224354_AliExpress.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back