The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Oct 3, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #5,941 of 6,382
Have you considered IEMs? For 400$ you can have mind blowing earphones

Oct 3, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #5,943 of 6,382
I don't know. I'm worried about comfort.
Noted on the music. The IEM thing that was suggested by @dweet is a possible solution and a good one. I didn't suggest this simply because I have tried the IEM thing ( Campfire Audio Vega 2020) and they sound VERY solid, but I can't have anything in my ear canal for a long period of time with it being very irritating...and that's having gone through 10 different ear tips and brands, but that's just me. I do know that there are some VERY good choices out there in your price range and based on the music you're into that would totally work. I found that the 99's work well with rock, metal and punk also the Dennon 5200's worked for me listening to everything from Bad Brains to White Zombie...and Rush.
But again, those are like around $600 I believe. Unless you found a good pre-owned source? It was mentioned by someone about the Fostex headphones- they are very solid and very similar to the Dennons. V-Shaped for sure and full, rich sound. I heard a couple of different pairs and liked them, some had a bit too much treble, some not enough but those are my ears. I am a V-shaped sound guy for sure and very particular about that 'V" If it is possible to hold tight for a bit, save your coins and up that price threshold by a couple hundred bucks, it may be worth it in the long run... you would get a better sound and quality pair of headphones that you can hang on to for some years to come...

Oct 3, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #5,944 of 6,382
What I want is neutral sound, maybe warm-neutral but engaging. I want non fatiguing sound.

Also I want to watch movies with headphones in the evening.

I only have time for myself in the evening when my wife and kids go to sleep, so I really need closed back headphones.

Am similar in style, do you watch telly while in bed?

Those Meze Classic 99 on the side part, may stick out a bit especially if leaning against a pillow or if you watch on the side.

Just something I have noticed being problematic over the many years while trying to binge TV shows while in bed, its hard to find that right closed headphone but the AT-Msr7b is decent, lightweight and small on the sides and sound good also.

Oct 3, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #5,945 of 6,382
Thank you very much! Are there any closed back headphones around 400€ that are better, in your opinion?
I'd also take a look at the newer Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro or the Austrian Audio Hi-X60. Both excellent closed back headphones with different personalities.

Oct 3, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #5,946 of 6,382

Those Meze Classic 99 on the side part, may stick out a bit especially if leaning against a pillow or if you watch on the side.

Just something I have noticed being problematic over the many years while trying to binge TV shows while in bed, its hard to find that right closed headphone but the AT-Msr7b is decent, lightweight and small on the sides and sound good also.
Aaaahhhh... Good point and very true! The 99's are not going to make a on of sense lying in bed on a pillow. I may be taking a risk on this platform by saying this but I'll throw this out anyway... I bought a pair of Apple AirPods Max wireless headphones for travel and the occasional watching content, late night via phone or computer. The isolation is excellent. The sounds is VERY good and they simple work wonderfully for when I need a specific "sound solution" You can pick up a refurbished pair (which will be guaranteed) from Amazon for your price point and YES, you can lay left or right side on a pillow and make it work 100% There I said it... don't judge me Head-Fi...LOL!!

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #5,947 of 6,382
Aaaahhhh... Good point and very true! The 99's are not going to make a on of sense lying in bed on a pillow. I may be taking a risk on this platform by saying this but I'll throw this out anyway... I bought a pair of Apple AirPods Max wireless headphones for travel and the occasional watching content, late night via phone or computer. The isolation is excellent. The sounds is VERY good and they simple work wonderfully for when I need a specific "sound solution" You can pick up a refurbished pair (which will be guaranteed) from Amazon for your price point and YES, you can lay left or right side on a pillow and make it work 100% There I said it... don't judge me Head-Fi...LOL!!

Good to know, they look like mini tanks so should be durable!

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #5,949 of 6,382
Noted on the music. The IEM thing that was suggested by @dweet is a possible solution and a good one. I didn't suggest this simply because I have tried the IEM thing ( Campfire Audio Vega 2020) and they sound VERY solid, but I can't have anything in my ear canal for a long period of time with it being very irritating...and that's having gone through 10 different ear tips and brands, but that's just me. I do know that there are some VERY good choices out there in your price range and based on the music you're into that would totally work. I found that the 99's work well with rock, metal and punk also the Dennon 5200's worked for me listening to everything from Bad Brains to White Zombie...and Rush.
But again, those are like around $600 I believe. Unless you found a good pre-owned source? It was mentioned by someone about the Fostex headphones- they are very solid and very similar to the Dennons. V-Shaped for sure and full, rich sound. I heard a couple of different pairs and liked them, some had a bit too much treble, some not enough but those are my ears. I am a V-shaped sound guy for sure and very particular about that 'V" If it is possible to hold tight for a bit, save your coins and up that price threshold by a couple hundred bucks, it may be worth it in the long run... you would get a better sound and quality pair of headphones that you can hang on to for some years to come...
Denons are 350€ on discount brand new. Meze 99 Classic are 280€.

Fostex TH-610? These are 575€

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #5,950 of 6,382

Yes, basicly in the evening I'm watching movies on laptop, in my bed.

Hmmm I've never thought about that. You are right. Meze could be a problem because of the design.

Ufffff

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #5,951 of 6,382
Yes, basicly in the evening I'm watching movies on laptop, in my bed.

Hmmm I've never thought about that. You are right. Meze could be a problem because of the design.

Ufffff

You may get away with it if lying upright in bed and with pillow behind your head, but if you feel sleepy or nod off and tilt your head to the side the last thing you want to hear is a snap noise.

Id imagine that meze won't be doable for side pillow sleepers.

Something like this(AT-MSR7bs) :
ath-msr7bbk_01.png

it has a tilt and swivel design and fairly strong, but after about 2-3 years one hinge side snapped so it might have been me falling asleep not sure.

But I feel a design like this is still decent overall, this is why sometimes I like companies such as Beyers who make it easy to repair and replace all the parts of their headphones, I did have my eye on the Beyerdynamic - DT 700 Pro X which are another closed back pair which are highly regarded and well priced but not tried them ever.

The alternative options are like wireless airpods which are heavy tanks, those would be durable and more robust but then again are wireless cans.

Oct 3, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #5,952 of 6,382
Hi guys,

Can someone compare Meze 99 Classic vs Denon AH-D5200?

Can't decide between these two. It will be a blind buy.

Looking for a good non fatiguing closed back headphones.

Thanks!
1st off, neither have piercing highs by any means. The 99s will stay on your head better lying down. Heck, I use mine on a flat bench working out with dumbells. The 5200 is heavier so there's that.
As for sound -
The 99s are more organic, lush, colored, and imo, musical. Too many people state that they are bass monsters. That they are not. It's important to use the smaller sized 99 pads, and a must to pull the 250 down 3-4 decibels. With these two things, they are a far cry from offensive. They excel with rock, metal and pop. This was my 1st big kid headphone purchase many years ago. It's still with the for a reason. The timbre and tonality are very easy to groove and get along with. What they are not is detail monsters with a big open sound. They are warm with great mids if you like male vocals, guitars, and lower register horned instruments. Instrument separation is satisfactory, as is resolution - nothing more. If you want air, sparkle or shimmer, these are not for you. The high highs don't extend, and the upper mids don't stand out. Not great for things like pianos and female vocals.
The 5200 is a lot more neutral sounding in presentation, with an ever so slight elevation in the upper mids. Better for those pianos and female vocals, though I wouldn't refer to them as bright or harsh. It has a tighter character, where the 99 can be a touch loose. The 5200 offers better resolution, and I would refer to it as more of a jack of all trades/genres. The bass is more disciplined, it's not as warm sounding, and the highs have a little more extension. Overall, it's a slightly more mature headphone. Definitely not worth the retail price imo, but for 400 used, well worth it. It offers a little better imaging, but neither headphone has a deep or wide soundstage. Both are quite intimate. My problem with the 5200 is that I found it rather uncomfortable after about an hours worth of head time. No comparison here imo, 99s win in that department hands down. Again, the 5200 isn't as lush and inviting at all times as the 99s. I'd choose the 99s for late night listening, music, movies, etc. The 5200 has more energy than some might want when relaxing and mellowing out. Just my subjective opinion of course.
That being said, I'd choose the E-MU Teak over both, as it's more of a medium ground between the other two if you can swing it, the original JM Audio XTC blows all of these out of the water. I can't think of anything other closed backs around the 400 dollar mark that ever stood out to me. You're on the right track.

Oct 3, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #5,954 of 6,382
I want a new closed back. Should I get a stellia or am I better off with noire, celestee, t5 3. I want to get a set that is good for most genres that I can take in to the office when I return in to the building! Any advice?
I dont know where you work but I wouldn't bring a $2K Stellia into my office 😊

Oct 3, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #5,955 of 6,382
I want a new closed back. Should I get a stellia or am I better off with noire, celestee, t5 3. I want to get a set that is good for most genres that I can take in to the office when I return in to the building! Any advice?
Celestee or D9200 better for office use imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back