The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jun 17, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #5,791 of 6,329
Extremely subjective indeed.

With IEMs, I'm all about deep insertion and triple flanges, but I've heard enough 'ear dildo' comments.

But back on topic, I do lament a bit that the stock pads will be hard to come by. Only Audio46 seems to have stock, and other stores have pads for other Focal headphones.

On a related note, how would you objectively describe sheepskin? I don't think I've ever had sheepskin anything.

My sheepskin for the Elegia are not here yet, but I do have Brainwavz sheepskins on my Meze 99's, and (to me, subjective again) are a softer, more supple version of leather. They seem to conform more than leather would.

I'll have these low use fuzzies that I can't stand once my sheepskins arrive, if you would be interested. :)

Jun 17, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #5,792 of 6,329
As I put the AC unit in the window, I find myself looking at closed-backs again.

Being that I love my LCD-2 Classic, I'm assuming the 2Closed would be the main pick lol

Jun 18, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #5,793 of 6,329
OK, so my Sundara Closed arrived and compared to the Elegia they have a bit more bass presence, are brighter and just a bit more "lively". I really like the Elegia after getting used to the fit and listening to them for a solid week, but I was using pretty heavy EQ to get where I wanted, with the Sundara Closed all I am doing is a bit of bass boost and they are spot on.

With the Sundara Closed having been on sale for $229 and being the only planars I have, and considering a recent order :) I think I am keeping the Sundara Closed (for now...) and sending the Elegia back.

Jun 18, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #5,794 of 6,329
Looking for the most IN-sensitive TOTL closed-back headphones, for ease of running on powerful tube amps. Most seem to bottom out at 100dB, the only exceptions I can find so far being the Dan Clark TOTLs -- the Stealth seems even more power-hungry than the Abyss! Any other options here? Been waiting for years for the Abyss closed-back but at this point it's like waiting for Godot.

Jun 18, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #5,795 of 6,329
OK, so my Sundara Closed arrived and compared to the Elegia they have a bit more bass presence, are brighter and just a bit more "lively". I really like the Elegia after getting used to the fit and listening to them for a solid week, but I was using pretty heavy EQ to get where I wanted, with the Sundara Closed all I am doing is a bit of bass boost and they are spot on.

With the Sundara Closed having been on sale for $229 and being the only planars I have, and considering a recent order :) I think I am keeping the Sundara Closed (for now...) and sending the Elegia back.
Do you think that the Sundara has better resolution and instrument separation than the Elegia? Is the Sundara faster with quicker speed and attack in the bass? How are the mids and vocals on the Sundara? Neutral, forward, or recessed?

Jun 18, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #5,796 of 6,329
Do you think that the Sundara has better resolution and instrument separation than the Elegia? Is the Sundara faster with quicker speed and attack in the bass? How are the mids and vocals on the Sundara? Neutral, forward, or recessed?

Personally I do think the detail and separation are a bit better, and I noticed this with the Aeon RTs as well, which I will attribute to that planar speed that is often discussed (answering the speed question there too). What the Aeon lacked for me, that the Sundara Closed does not is some weight to go with that speed and attack.

Vocals seemed very neutral and clean, slightly forward mids.

The Elegia had a nice sound once I EQed to taste and with a pad change I would have been happy with them for a while had I not heard the Sundara Closed, which bests them (to my ears) by a bit. Combine that with another dynamic set coming and the Sundara won the keep / don't keep battle between the Sundara Closed and Elegia.

(I also happen to like wood cups, so that may have helped a bit)

Jun 18, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #5,797 of 6,329
Looking for the most IN-sensitive TOTL closed-back headphones, for ease of running on powerful tube amps. Most seem to bottom out at 100dB, the only exceptions I can find so far being the Dan Clark TOTLs -- the Stealth seems even more power-hungry than the Abyss! Any other options here? Been waiting for years for the Abyss closed-back but at this point it's like waiting for Godot.
Any reason to specifically want insensitive? That's not something that affects sound quality, just how much power it takes. I don't see any reason to go out of your way to get something that needs more power.

Jun 18, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #5,798 of 6,329
Any reason to specifically want insensitive? That's not something that affects sound quality, just how much power it takes. I don't see any reason to go out of your way to get something that needs more power.
Convenient to have one closer to the Abyss and LCD-4 in sensitivity so I can more easily use the same settings on the same amps (I switch back-and-forth often). Anyways, I now have a Stealth on order after demoing one today.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #5,799 of 6,329
Convenient to have one closer to the Abyss and LCD-4 in sensitivity so I can more easily use the same settings on the same amps (I switch back-and-forth often). Anyways, I now have a Stealth on order after demoing one today.
Makes sense! Sorry, it just kinda confused me, I hadn't considered it was a convenience issue LOL

Jul 3, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #5,800 of 6,329
Cross-posted from the DT 1770 Pro thread

I'm surprised no one has highlighted the stark variation in sound between earlier batches of the DT 1770 Pro and latter batches.

The first DT 1770 Pro I owned was S/N 825. It didn't matter what I tried: pad rolling, bass port modding, Dekoni pads, upgrade cables, burn in, better sources, etc. It sounded boomy and congested and boxed-in.

Later, I auditioned a pair S/N 12xxx at a local store via a humble iFi hip-dac. I was blown away. That pair sounded vastly different. There was that clean, pristine, sparkly Beyer sound, with defined, hard-hitting bass.

Subsequently, I had to replace the drivers on my own pair. The newly serviced pair sounded identical to the original.

Recently, I acquired another pair of DT 1770's, this one S/N 97xxx. I'm running it through a Denafrips Ares II and Lake People G111. All I can say is that it sounds simply astounding, and is surprisingly sensitive to upstream equipment (I have with me the iFi ZEN DAC V2, ZEN CAN, Jotunheim 2, and a Feliks Echo II).

Around the $500 price point, my default recommendation used to be the E-MU Teaks, which I also have with me at the moment.

Here's how they compare on my setup:

Apple Music on Mac > Denafrips Ares II > Lake People G111
  • The Teaks are a crisp sounding, relatively heavy U-shaped signature. They have a distinct mid-treble peak and a strong sub-bass emphasis.
  • The DT 1770 is relatively warmer, fuller-bodied, and more balanced by comparison. They have a slightly heavy mid-bass emphasis and a relatively more muted treble by comparison. Mids are relatively more forward.
  • The Teaks have a more energetic, aggressive, lighter-footed presentation. The DT 1770 Pro are slower on their feet, but display a more robust, fuller-bodied character, and slam harder.
  • Bass is heftier, weightier, and slower on the DT 1770 Pro with more slam. The Teaks' bass is more nimble, tauter, and textured, with more rumble.
  • Mids are leaner and drier on the Teaks, being more even and fuller-bodied on the DT 1770.
  • Treble again is more even on the DT 1770 Pro, with the Teaks displaying a distinct mid-treble emphasis and a crisp character, with greater presence, air, and extension
  • The Teaks have an appreciable edge in terms of transparency and surface clarity. However, detail retrieval is distinctly superior on the DT 1770 Pro
  • Soundstage is appreciably more expansive on the DT 1770 Pro, with a big and bold cinematic presentation. The Teaks are relatively more intimate and congested by comparison.
  • Imaging is appreciably more precise on the DT 1770 Pro
  • Transients are quicker and more incisive on the Teaks
  • I will say the Teaks do have a decidedly unique, inviting, and euphonic tone.
  • Comfort, build quality, and isolation easily go to the DT 1770 Pro
My favourite closed-back Beyer thus far has been the Beyerdynamic DT 150, especially fitted with DT 100 velour pads. Other closed-back Beyers I've owned include the classic DT 770 Pro in both 80 and 250 ohm flavours, DT 700 Pro X, and T5p G2. I'm happy to report that the DT 1770 Pro have now found a place alongside the DT 150 as one of my favourite closed-backs. I recently sold a Sony MDR-Z1R, and while I did not have a chance to A/B them, purely based on memory, the DT 1770 Pro immediately struck me as being more impressive than the MDR-Z1R.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #5,801 of 6,329
Sadly I've decided to part ways with the Liric. It does some things very well for a closed back that have made it enjoyable to own (very open-sounding for a closed back, great comfort, design and aesthetics) but ultimately I found the quirky tonality got in the way of me enjoying too many tracks. Have been getting sibilance a fair bit, and the mids have a cold / soulless quality to them that started to bother me.

Now on the market for a closed back that balances portability and strong technicalities, ideally in same or lower price bracket as Liric. I love my Radiance but probably looking for something with a more revealing and spacious-sound. Think DCA Noire and D9200 are the top contenders here (slight concerns about D9200 having poor isolation though). Suggestions welcome!

Jul 4, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #5,802 of 6,329
Sadly I've decided to part ways with the Liric. It does some things very well for a closed back that have made it enjoyable to own (very open-sounding for a closed back, great comfort, design and aesthetics) but ultimately I found the quirky tonality got in the way of me enjoying too many tracks. Have been getting sibilance a fair bit, and the mids have a cold / soulless quality to them that started to bother me.

Now on the market for a closed back that balances portability and strong technicalities, ideally in same or lower price bracket as Liric. I love my Radiance but probably looking for something with a more revealing and spacious-sound. Think DCA Noire and D9200 are the top contenders here (slight concerns about D9200 having poor isolation though). Suggestions welcome!
9200 is probably your best bet for portability and technically. Isolation is decent. Better than Fostex, not as good as your Radiance. Any headphone is transportable. How portable are we talking?

Jul 4, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #5,803 of 6,329
9200 is probably your best bet for portability and technically. Isolation is decent. Better than Fostex, not as good as your Radiance. Any headphone is transportable. How portable are we talking?
Yes true - by "portable" I mean capable of being driven from Mojo 2 for listening on travels / trains etc. So form factor and sensitivity etc. being taken into consideration. The Liric was great for this.

Jul 4, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #5,804 of 6,329

Nothing on the market unfortunately in my opinion :)
I’ve settled with Radiance so far.
If you are not afraid of the size you can try to buy Rognir Dynamic (I have Planar version and it’s great).

Jul 4, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #5,805 of 6,329
Nothing on the market unfortunately in my opinion :)
I’ve settled with Radiance so far.
If you are not afraid of the size you can try to buy Rognir Dynamic (I have Planar version and it’s great).
Yeah in fairness I can realistically "get by" with the Radiance - it's pretty damn great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back