The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jan 27, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #5,596 of 6,385
Hi, it can definetly be that too!

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/intelligent-dance-music-guide

"Prior to IDM, most electronic music was created with the dance floor in mind, which is why IDM’s parent genre is commonly known as electronic dance music or EDM. Yet intelligent dance music compositions tend to focus primarily on aural aesthetics, with danceability a lesser point of emphasis"
Sure sounds interesting. Got any examples of IDM? Title/producer names are sufficient, I’ll the. Look that up on my streaming services of choice (Qobuz and Apple Music in case you’re so inclined as to post specific links)

Jan 27, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #5,597 of 6,385
Hi guys. Can you help me to make right choice please?

My candidates:

-Senn hd 280 pro (new version)
-Senn hd 25 light (new version 70 ohm)
-Shure srh 440
-Shure srh 940

I dont like too much bass. I like soundstage, detail and neutral sound. Im listening jazz, orchestral soundtracks. Im focusing only sound quaility.
Thanks a lot.

Jan 28, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #5,598 of 6,385

My candidates:

-Shure srh 440
-Shure srh 940

I dont like too much bass. I like soundstage, detail and neutral sound. Im listening jazz, orchestral soundtracks. Im focusing only sound quaility.
Thanks a lot.
I know we're on a closed back thread here, but is there a reason you're not looking at open back headphones? From what you're looking for and music genres, I might suggest open back.

For closed back, another one that may be worth considering is the Audio Technica MSR7. I know not on your list of candidates, but it's a closed back if there was a reason you needed closed back (like you were listening around others maybe) and it has very good sound quality in its price bracket and won't have too much bass. There are likely other good Audio Technica headphones in the same range too.

Full disclosure, I own the MSR7 (not the newer one) and I found it too bright. I prefer headphones with more bass though. So could be ok for you. The other problem I had, my head in particular, was fit. It made the top of my head sore, but I found a neoprene like headband cover added enough padding (and I could even stick some more padding inside that cover) to fix that problem. So problem solved, but just an honest note for out of the box experience. It is a very accurate headphone though.

I've not owned any of those on your list. I've tried only a few. I have Shure IEMs and both Shure and Sennheiser are excellent brands. I just can't weigh on that list specifically, sorry.

I might also suggest a closed back planar magnetic based on the genres of music you're mentioning here. You can find one that doesn't have very strong bass, but rather very textured, detailed, and quick bass. It could give you a really good shot at good imaging, instrument separation, speed, timbre, and just maybe soundstage in a closed back. However, they may be more than what you want to spend. I have not personally listened to the Hifiman Sundara closed back version, but I've heard from others Sundara lacked bass (like the HE-400i I own) so if it also "lacks bass" (they have bass but I'm going to say it "lacks" it lol) in the closed back version, that may be a solid option if it's in your budget. Note that Hifiman regularly has sales and also has open-box and B-stock options. Sundara closed back open box is $319 right now.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #5,599 of 6,385

My candidates:

-Shure srh 440
-Shure srh 940

Thanks a lot.

Of your list, I would go with the SRH940s. Personally, I think they would be the best for what you're looking for, though I haven't tried the HD25s. The 940s are more detailed and have a larger soundstage than the HD280 or the SRH440s and they all present fairly balanced/neutral profiles.

Edit: I would advise against getting a closed back Sundara. They have some major faults, IMO, and they essentially sound like an overdampened version of the open back Sundaras.

Edit 2: I didn't mean for that to come out rude to @catom . I was just really disappointed with the closed back Sundara's performance after hoping they would have some real potential.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #5,600 of 6,385
Hi, I'm looking for a CB under 1000 to pair with my Celestee, which sound I really like (good punch, details, tightness) but found them uncomfortable (high clamp force, small pads for my ears).
I'm looking between:
- Denon 7200 (520 euro): my number 1 choice right now, but heard comfort is a coin toss depending on head shape, and also doesn't block outside noise (?)
- Shure 1540 (500 euro): more comfortable but I read is not on the others level SQ wise
- Hifiman he-r9 (300 euro): don't know much about this, but very low price
- Radiance (720 euro): read it's more comfortable than Celestee, but how much?

I would use them mostly for light gaming and movies, so comfort and detail/punchiness are what I'm looking for. And I prefer dynamic hp.
Also open to new suggestion. Thanks

Jan 28, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #5,601 of 6,385
Hi, I'm looking for a CB under 1000 to pair with my Celestee, which sound I really like (good punch, details, tightness) but found them uncomfortable (high clamp force, small pads for my ears).
I'm looking between:
- Denon 7200 (520 euro): my number 1 choice right now, but heard comfort is a coin toss depending on head shape, and also doesn't block outside noise (?)
- Shure 1540 (500 euro): more comfortable but I read is not on the others level SQ wise

I would use them mostly for light gaming and movies, so comfort and detail/punchiness are what I'm looking for. And I prefer dynamic hp.

I would take a look at the Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH 40s or the Magnis. Both are very capable closed backs with premium builds that are quite comfortable. I sold my Gjallarhorns when I was clearing out gear to build my TOTL rig eatlier this year and I keep missing them so I will likely be buying another pair or the Magnis, which I have now listened to for a few hours at a friend's house and was quite impressed with.

The Radiance are also quite good and I have rec'd them on here before, but their fit is very similar to other Focals so I think you'll find them much like the Celestees when it comes to fit/comfort.

I think the HE-R9s are pretty terrible, IMO. They come across as muddy and too dark for my tastes. The bass dominates and isn't of very good quality as it's not very tight and lacks articulation and detail.

The D7200s and the SRH1540s are both good headphones, but I have only had brief listens to both so I will refrain from commenting further than that.

Jan 28, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #5,602 of 6,385
I'm looking between:

This is a great question for the neutral observer but wish it was just about music because the answers will be skewed toward a better platform for that rather than for the full on pure talents. Am I wrong i could be.. ha.. just that I'm exactly this question but it's for music.. sorry its your deal.... edit..first answer came in before my post, very interesting am looking at Gallajhorn

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #5,603 of 6,385
I'm looking between:

I think the HE-R9s are pretty terrible, IMO. They come across as muddy and too dark for my tastes. The bass dominates and isn't of very good quality as it's not very tight and lacks articulation and detail.

You may want to look at JM Audio Editions. He has a modded HE-R9 optionally with the Arya headband which I would assume is more comfortable. I do not know how it is for punchiness and if it's as dynamic or close to Focal though. He does more than change the headband with his mod there, it is likely different than the stock R9. I have not heard this one from JM, but might be worth an email to ask about it.

I don't think Radiance or any other Focal is going to be more or less comfortable than the Celestee. It wasn't in my experience, but I also didn't have them on for a long session. I think they are roughly the same in that regard...But the Bathys may be an interesting consdieration given its bluetooth and you mentioned gaming and movies. I always think about another Focal but their house sound is sooo distinct that I feel like one is probably plenty.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #5,604 of 6,385
I would take a look at the Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH 40s or the Magnis. Both are very capable closed backs with premium builds that are quite comfortable. I sold my Gjallarhorns when I was clearing out gear to build my TOTL rig eatlier this year and I keep missing them so I will likely be buying another pair or the Magnis, which I have now listened to for a few hours at a friend's house and was quite impressed with.

The Radiance are also quite good and I have rec'd them on here before, but their fit is very similar to other Focals so I think you'll find them much like the Celestees when it comes to fit/comfort.

The D7200s and the SRH1540s are both good headphones, but I have only had brief listens to both so I will refrain from commenting further than that.
The Gjallahorn is a very interesting suggestion. I need to check if we have a dealer in my country, because due to the current situation buying from the Kennerton site would amount to a total of 1300 euros (not even sure if is possible to import from Russia).
This is a great question for the neutral observer but wish it was just about music because the answers will be skewed toward a better platform for that rather than for the full on pure talents. Am I wrong i could be.. ha.. just that I'm exactly this question but it's for music.. sorry its your deal.... edit..first answer came in before my post, very interesting am looking at Gallajhorn
Well it can be about music as well. The main difference for me is comfort, it can be too much distracting watching an entire movie with a painful headphone
You may want to look at JM Audio Editions. He has a modded HE-R9 optionally with the Arya headband which I would assume is more comfortable. I do not know how it is for punchiness and if it's as dynamic or close to Focal though. He does more than change the headband with his mod there, it is likely different than the stock R9. I have not heard this one from JM, but might be worth an email to ask about it.

I don't think Radiance or any other Focal is going to be more or less comfortable than the Celestee. It wasn't in my experience, but I also didn't have them on for a long session. I think they are roughly the same in that regard...But the Bathys may be an interesting consdieration given its bluetooth and you mentioned gaming and movies. I always think about another Focal but their house sound is sooo distinct that I feel like one is probably plenty.
Yeah honestly I had four Focals and the similarities are there.

Jan 28, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #5,605 of 6,385
The Gjallahorn is a very interesting suggestion. I need to check if we have a dealer in my country, because due to the current situation buying from the Kennerton site would amount to a total of 1300 euros (not even sure if is possible to import from Russia).
I have this pair of Gjallarhorn coming in next week direct from Kennerton. https://kennerton.org/shop/gjallarhorn-jm-edition-zebrano/

Ordering from them is entirely possible and quite straight forward. Happy to offer impressions when they arrive.

Jan 28, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #5,606 of 6,385
Of your list, I would go with the SRH940s. Personally, I think they would be the best for what you're looking for, though I haven't tried the HD25s. The 940s are more detailed and have a larger soundstage than the HD280 or the SRH440s and they all present fairly balanced/neutral profiles.

Edit: I would advise against getting a closed back Sundara. They have some major faults, IMO, and they essentially sound like an overdampened version of the open back Sundaras.

Edit 2: I didn't mean for that to come out rude to @catom . I was just really disappointed with the closed back Sundara's performance after hoping they would have some real potential.
Thanks a lot. Yes I think the same with you. Shure 940's top of the list. But they have low quality built. All 940's cracking and breaking Im scared about that. And if I take 940's its avilable in my place second hand only.
What can you say about senn 280 and shure 440? Thanks.

Jan 28, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #5,607 of 6,385
I have this pair of Gjallarhorn coming in next week direct from Kennerton. https://kennerton.org/shop/gjallarhorn-jm-edition-zebrano/

Ordering from them is entirely possible and quite straight forward. Happy to offer impressions when they arrive.
Hi Nostoi. Im using senn ie100 pro. What can you say about differences between ie 100 and 900?
Some users say its not necessary to spend a lot of money for 800-900 pro's. Ie 100 pro amazing too.. For you is that the same?

Jan 28, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #5,608 of 6,385
Hi Nostoi. Im using senn ie100 pro. What can you say about differences between ie 100 and 900?
Some users say its not necessary to spend a lot of money for 800-900 pro's. Ie 100 pro amazing too.. For you is that the same?
A bit off-topic, but I'm sure other patrons won't mind. I'm a big fan of IE100; along with the DT770/DT880, they're one of the great bargains in the Head-Fi world. The IE900 are obviously a tier above on every level - technically, build, etc. Are they worth the difference? I can't say how to spend your money, but if it's a question you're asking, then I'd probably stick with IE100.

Jan 28, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #5,609 of 6,385
I'm looking between:
I can comment on the SRH-1540 (my daily driver for work and music at my desk for many years now) and the Focal Radiance (owned for a few months).

I would not dismiss the SRH-1540 without further consideration: It is well-built, durable and scales very well with good gear. Between its light weight and the comfy padding (the alcantara ear pads are excellent), it’s arguably the most comfortable sub-$1,000 headphones.

The Radiance is also exceptionally comfortable, though a little heavier- so depending on whether weight or padding/surfaces are most important to you, either of the models will work for you with regards to comfort.

Sound quality-wise with my gear, I remember the Radiance as being about as detailed as the SRH-1540, but with a bit more warmth and mid-bass emphasis. The Focal is also a little more dynamic/punchy. That said, the SRH-1540 is on the warm/dark side of neutral too.

Between the two you have great options!

Feb 2, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #5,610 of 6,385
They're B Stock !!
Hyperfi

FAQs​

What Are B Stock Products?​

As you may have noticed from our site, most of the products we sell are sold as 'B Stock'. In basic terms this means that the products are ones which have been sent back to the manufacturer at some time, been checked and recartoned. There is a number of reasons why the items are sent back to the manufacturer. They could have just been reboxed, had a software update or a replacement part. We do not get the history of each individual item but we do fully test and check everything before shipping out to give an additional check as well as the manufacturers. You still receive the same one year warranty with B Stock products that you would with new sealed cartons. Major accessories such as remote control and mains cable are included however sometimes minor accessories such as batteries are not included. Cosmetic marks or blemishes (if any) will be minor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back