The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jan 5, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #5,476 of 6,390
To me the LCD variants are all too heavy for extended use. The D9200 is really good, but maybe not exactly neutral.
You might want to try the Austrian Audio Hi-X60, which is a closed back studio headphone with a neutral response and very good comfort.
yes,im tried at local shop 9200 and this too bright,even bad isolation for closed headphones. 9200 highs too much hit my ears. i have ananda bt home and i like much sound.ananda weight 460gr and it very light for me ,no feel any on head when listen music, full FR range hear, not boosted any part of FR . im tried LCD-2C Closed vs Aeon open at shop,and audeze was far better sound,far bigger soundstage. but a bit heavy and only static use,if moved head they simply dropping from head. if Aeon2 open has smaller soundstage vs audeze lcd-2C closed,then Aeon2 closed will be without soundstage? yep,will see at Austrian Audio Hi-X60.... you are right,Austrian Audio Hi-X60 good like third partys for 1000usd

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #5,477 of 6,390
hello,im like neutral sound,not V shaped sound. I need closed headphones with good details,over full fr range,not boosted lows,boosted mids or boosted highs.what is better for me from audeze LCD-xc 2014,LCD-XC 2021 ,LCD-2C Closed or somethink from third partys like denon 9200,5200,or dan clarc eons flow,eon2 close or noire?
Hello!
I’ll try to get used Kennerton Rognir planar.
From your list I would go with LCD-XC 2021 if you can tolerate their weight.
Denon 9200 is also a great option but more of W-shape sound. And do try to demo them as you can experience fit issues.

Jan 5, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #5,478 of 6,390
Hello!
I’ll try to get used Kennerton Rognir planar.
From your list I would go with LCD-XC 2021 if you can tolerate their weight.
Denon 9200 is also a great option but more of W-shape sound. And do try to demo them as you can experience fit issues.
thanks bro, im tried 9200 at local they not fit good as my bathys glued to my head. sound too bright vs my ananda.and 9200 too much high sizzy. im not luck with used gear.so,stopped see at used goods anymore.

Jan 5, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #5,479 of 6,390
thanks bro, im tried 9200 at local they not fit good as my bathys glued to my head. sound too bright vs my ananda.and 9200 too much high sizzy. im not luck with used gear.so,stopped see at used goods anymore.
Maybe try Rognir Dynamics or HiFiMAN R-10D?

Jan 5, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #5,482 of 6,390
i need somethink tht no needs EQ'ed headphones closed back. dan clark audio aeon2 closed good idea? more comfy vs audeze lcd-2c closed.im lean to lcd-2c closed as can buy new for 560eur only
DCA Noire are very V-shaped, so they won’t match your more neutral preference.

Jan 6, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #5,484 of 6,390
Here are my thoughts on LCD-2CB vs Aeon2 Noire, with a short side trip to the Lagoon, after 3 hours of listening today.

Overall:
  • Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back has a very wide soundstage (closed back to closed back) with very good positioning of the instruments. It is overall reasonably neutral, with reasonably strong bass, a hump in the mid and a dip in the higher mid. That gives it a bit of a dated sound for some music when coming from the Noire, but also noticeable without A-B comparison. It's quite unwieldy in hand but still very comfortable on the head. If I were to keep it, I'd have to invest in a stand for the desk and IEMs for travel on top of the LCD-2 itself. It feels like a liability rather than an asset - I would use it despite itself, just for the great sound. It reminds me of a Chesterfield couch with brandy and cigar - a relic of the past, perhaps? 🥃
  • Aeon2 Noire: Soundstage is much more limited (ear to ear, max), though it seemed to improve for some sounds when I started using the pads. Still far behind the LCD-2. I would describe the FR as strongly V-shaped. Bass and treble are very pronounced, to the point where some music becomes unlistenable. The pads help in tuning the treble but not the bass. It's a very practical set of headphones, easy to handle and they collapse into a practical fistful. They can travel. They're thoroughly modern, like a Scandinavian couch in a black&white room with gin&tonic. Non-smoking, of course. :cocktail:
  • Compared to these seniors, the Lagoon is obviously cheaper, particularly in its build and fit. It hurts with glasses and feels cramped. The plastics also completely gave up on me and started disintegrating. Still, the sound is fairly good considering the price difference (4x cheaper). Bass doesn't extend so deeply, mids are congested and treble is not very present but the overall sound is pleasing. It's a third-hand worn down sofa, torn jeans, beer straight from the bottle, but boy, we're having fun! 🤘
This is causing me a bit of a problem because while I like a lot about the LCD-2, I don't like how unwieldy it is. I mean, if you ship your headphones with its own suitcase, perhaps you have a situation. The sound is also not really crisp in the upper mids, which is a shame, as it's overall really quite incredible. Soundstage, stereo imaging, detail in bass, rich mids, it's all so good. On the other hand - the Noire is absolutely brilliant as a physical object. But I really had to put it down mid-track on many occasions. The bright treble and heavy bass is just too fatiguing, even with the pads in some cases, and they cause the mids, which are already recessed, to not come out at all in some cases. Unfortunately, they are definitely going back. The LCD-2 - still in doubt. The Lagoon, well, I have it and it's taped back into a usable shape. It won't be going anywhere :beyersmile:

Detailed listening notes:
  • Marillion - Bitter Suite and Heart Of Lothian. The bass is pretty heavy on this album and the Noire renders it rather boomy. LCD-2 really brings out the 1980s production and sound, which makes it sound quite dated, but positions the instruments quite well. Despite that, it's clearly better than the Noire.
  • Metal/punk: Jesu and Exploited both fare better on the Noire. Its V-shape doesn't bother in this case and suite the aggression. This is confirmed with other rock music (CPeX, Curve, Temple Of The Dog - though the latter is also really nice on the LCD-2).
  • Electronic music: depends. Fluffy Clouds by The Orb is unlistenable on the Noire. Hi hats are so incredibly sharp. The pads fix this to a certain extend, but the bass is also overwhelming. On the other hand, Hajnal by Venetian Snares is slightly better on the Noire. I actually prefer the rendering of the violin over the LCD-2, and the V-shape suits the aggressive electronics quite well. In complex industrial wall-of-sound tracks like Benevolence by Deutsch Nepal, the detailed imaging and accurate mids of the LCD-2 help disentangle what is going on, which is very pleasing. It also helps with tracks by Crim3s (Salt) and Crystal Castles (Alice Practice and Crimewave). The Noire has problems on these three tracks, rendering a mid-tone noise on Salt as upper mids, and congesting the bass on Alice Practice where the bass line disappears behind the beats. I checked Crystal Castles on the Lagoon as well, which gets congested just about anywhere in the FR and turns it into a mess. But still a fun mess!
  • Nick Cave (People Ain't No Good) and Tom Waits (Underground). Waits' voice has some treble because of the rasping timbre. Because of that, it's a bit aggressive on the Noire, which highlights this treble and surpresses the general mids timbre of the voice a bit. It's much more balanced on the LCD-2. With Nick Cave, the voice doesn't have this and sits nicely between the bass and the cymbals on the LCD-2. The Noire emphasises these two instruments, which jams Cave's voice claustrophobically between the two. It's a little bit ugly. LCD-2 is clearly better for this.
  • Post-rock (Sigur Rós, Radiohead): the LCD-2 is subtly better for positioning subtle background sounds and for the voices, but the Noire does quite well.
  • Classical: depends. I listened to less classical than usual today, but overall the LCD-2 is better. In Beethoven's 5th (Abbado, 1st movement), I expected the Noire to excel. However, because it's already powerful, the LCD-2 sounds better. The mix on this recording is has very beautiful mids and the LCD-2 renders it beautifully. In Beethoven's 7th (a personal favourite, Harnoncourt version, movement 3), the mix is a bit more laid back and the Noire actually brings out more character. In Sally Whitwell's beautifully musical rendering of Philip Glass' Etudes (listening to Etude 6), the LCD-2 brings out all the fun. The Noire renders it rather cold and some notes rather harsh. No thanks - there are plenty of sterile versions of the Etudes if I'd want that. I want Whitwells because of the fun way she brings them, and the Noire doesn't give me that.
Edit: all of this was listened to on my MacBook Pro 14", which has a built-in headphone amp. About half was uncompressed CD rips. The rest was high-quality MP3s, with a very small minority streamed from Apple Music (uncompressed if available).
after reading today im ordered new lcd-2c for 560eur shipped.

Jan 6, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #5,485 of 6,390
I'm looking for my endgame closed backs. I currently have Sennheiser hd 599 and Beyerdynamic dt770 pro 32ohm. I like them both but want something with more fidelity. I like Sennheisers comfort and imaging. I like the Beyerdynamics soundstage and fullness. They are a good pair of "apple and orange" sets to own.

Im looking for a good closed back option. Was considering shure srh 1540, dt 770 pro x and focal radiance. I prefer a mild v shape sound signature with a good amount of detail. By detail i mean not super emphasized treble but resolving power. Overall a clean sound signature with mild bass boost.

Will the focals be a significant step up from the dt770 pro x? Where are the shures in the mix?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #5,486 of 6,390
I'm looking for my endgame closed backs. I currently have Sennheiser hd 599 and Beyerdynamic dt770 pro 32ohm. I like them both but want something with more fidelity. I like Sennheisers comfort and imaging. I like the Beyerdynamics soundstage and fullness. They are a good pair of "apple and orange" sets to own.

Im looking for a good closed back option. Was considering shure srh 1540, dt 770 pro x and focal radiance. I prefer a mild v shape sound signature with a good amount of detail. By detail i mean not super emphasized treble but resolving power. Overall a clean sound signature with mild bass boost.

Will the focals be a significant step up from the dt770 pro x? Where are the shures in the mix?
The E-mu Teaks could also be a consideration. They sound as you described, plus they don't cost a fortune.

Jan 6, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #5,487 of 6,390

for that very good are beyerdynamic aventho and supports aptx hd codec

Jan 6, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #5,488 of 6,390

I’ve owned the Focal Radiance and continue to use the Shures as my daily work/music headphones at my desk.

My son has the DT-770s (not the -X model though), and I’ve listened to them briefly. While I have not done a direct comparison, I would say the Shures are a notch above in overall sound quality, cohesion/balance, and smoothness. They are also more comfortable on my head. I absolutely adore the Shures as daily headphones, and have used them for about four years now. Only recently (a few months ago) did I have to swap to the included backup ear pads, despite using them at least 15 hours a week for 35-45 weeks a year over three-plus years (ie over 2.000 hours!). The Shures also scale really well with better gear. I use them a lot with my Sony WM1A DAP, and they sound great with it.

I would characterize the Radiance as warmer/more mid-bass boosted than the Shures. They are excellent headphones (and have arguably even more comfortable pads/leather than the Shures!), though they cost about twice as much. Only the opportunity to buy Stellias pulled me away from the Radiance. They are not for fans of a neutral sound, though- they are definitely skewed warm/bass-focused. So pairing them with a warm tube amp is too much of a good thing, in my view.

Jan 6, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #5,489 of 6,390

Take this with a grain of salt since I haven't heard the Senns and only had a brief demo with the dt770 250ohm version a long time ago, but I'd say the Shures should definitely be in the mix of your choices. Probably toward the top of the list depending on what the local price differences are amongst your contenders.

Based on what you're looking for, the Shures fit pretty well, my only hesitation being that they might not be as/not have as significant a jump in detail. To my ear they're fairly neutral but with a bass boost, nice clarity, nice soundstage. They have detail, just not at the same level as something like my VC or Rognirs, but those are also in significantly different price brackets.

As @AudioDuck said, they're comfy, plus they come with additional pads. Stock cord is fine, nothing special, but it's also replaceable if you want an aftermarket one. I don't know what the 700 X comes with, but if memory serves I didn't like the coil stock cord on the dt770, and you're stuck with it.

Jan 6, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #5,490 of 6,390

If you're willing to buy used then a used Denon D9200 could be a fair bet, they can be had for around 900-1000 so even cheaper than an MSRP radiance, however they punch well above their price and can even compete with VC and Stellia. Their sound also seems to align with your preferences, that being a very clean sound with slight elevation in the bass; it can come across as bright depending on your ears and source gear. It does have quite an intimate soundstage, however it is wide enough so as to not sound cramped or claustrophobic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back