The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Sep 27, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #5,041 of 6,351
What’s the best closed-back for immersive gaming that is not DCA Stealth?

I have Hd800s so would want something complimentary to that. Is D9200 good for that? Or too intimate sounding

Sep 27, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #5,042 of 6,351

I have Hd800s so would want something complimentary to that. Is D9200 good for that? Or too intimate sounding

I'm not much of a gamer, but I love me some closed backs so what properties are important in a gaming closed back aside from soundstage and imaging? If you can tell me that, I can probably give you some good recs to look at.

Sep 28, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #5,044 of 6,351
I didn't like the Fostex TH900mk2 as much as I thought I would. I listened to them on a silver dragon cable at Moon Audio's table.

I'd honestly have to take the Stellia over them.

I don't think the Stellia really lacks anything. It's one of the (not the only) most perfect headphones I've ever listened to. I liked it better than the Utopia and other more expensive headphones.

Again though, when you can get the Elegias plus the Dekoni limited edition Stellia pads, you're getting maybe 50-75% of what you get from the Stellias...so are the Stellias 6x better? Because that's the price jump. They're a luxury. I'll get them one day for sure, but not before getting a variety of other headphones.

For more bass, the deep and lush bass, I'd probably look at ZMF. I think one of the biggest differences between Focal and ZMF being that to my ears Focal is more dynamic and energetic. ZMF is more smooth. That isn't to say Focal is fatiguing. For as being as dynamic and visceral as they are, they manage not to get fatiguing. You might otherwise think ok one or two songs is enough. Somehow Focal manage to stay on my head for a good while.

These Meze 109 Pros though (listening as I'm typing here on my phone). They're just reminding me so much of the Nightowls in terms of comfort/fit and sit somewhere between that laid back smooth sound and the Focal dynamic energy. I'm still forming impressions though. I know, not closed back, sorry. They are beryllium coated though, but Stellia has slightly more detail and speed. Less soundstage though given they are closed.
That last paragraph really makes the 109 sound quite promising.

Sep 28, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #5,045 of 6,351
That last paragraph really makes the 109 sound quite promising.
I love it. I know it's not closed back so I won't really elaborate on it in this thread. I prefer closed back headphones generally speaking. Like 90% of the time it's what I'd pick up. Though these are pretty awesome. I think they are creating some good competition in it's price range too. So that hopefully leads to more new headphones coming out to compete, including some closed backs at the same price point.

My take away from CanJam really was that for closed back headphones (and most in general) you are either spending $300-700 maybe $800 even or $1600-3000+ you aren't left with many options in between.

For example, if I want a closed back that's a step up from what I have, I'd be looking at $2,000+ ... The Stellia or something from ZMF.

There's just not much around $800-1000 that's new and exciting. I'm starting to see the landscape become very V shaped 😂

Sep 28, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #5,046 of 6,351
I love it. I know it's not closed back so I won't really elaborate on it in this thread. I prefer closed back headphones generally speaking. Like 90% of the time it's what I'd pick up. Though these are pretty awesome. I think they are creating some good competition in it's price range too. So that hopefully leads to more new headphones coming out to compete, including some closed backs at the same price point.

My take away from CanJam really was that for closed back headphones (and most in general) you are either spending $300-700 maybe $800 even or $1600-3000+ you aren't left with many options in between.

For example, if I want a closed back that's a step up from what I have, I'd be looking at $2,000+ ... The Stellia or something from ZMF.

There's just not much around $800-1000 that's new and exciting. I'm starting to see the landscape become very V shaped 😂
I can't decide if I want to grab the 109, or 2nd generation Gjallarhorn. I responded to one of your posts in the 109 thread.

Sep 29, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #5,047 of 6,351

The D9200 has a smaller soundstage but the imaging is quite good, very noticeable difference going between EMu Teaks and the Denon D9200 in games where placing footsteps matters like Valorant.

If you wanted lots of soundstage and imaging then the Sony MDRZ1R might be a good choice too, it has a pretty good stage. But you'd need to EQ them for music most likely.

Would also help to know if you're talking about competitive FPS gaming (footsteps) or more chill gaming (soundscape + comfort).

Sep 29, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #5,048 of 6,351
If you wanted lots of soundstage and imaging then the Sony MDRZ1R might be a good choice too, it has a pretty good stage. But you'd need to EQ them for music most likely.

Would also help to know if you're talking about competitive FPS gaming (footsteps) or more chill gaming (soundscape + comfort).
Yes, competitive FPS. Also I have Z7M2 and was looking to try something else, I suppose Z1R is more of the same even though better

Sep 29, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #5,049 of 6,351
Yes, competitive FPS. Also I have Z7M2 and was looking to try something else, I suppose Z1R is more of the same even though better
I have the z7m2 also, I think the z7m2 in stock form has alot of issues and can be improved substantially with some mods. I think its biggest weakness is speed, the driver is so big it cant move fast enough for some music.

I just recently got the denon d7200 and I'm really enjoying them, they have an unusual tuning though, perhaps not for everyone. Midcentric, very fast, hard hitting bass, good extension, slightly recessed lower treble. Its the fastest dynamic driver I've heard so far, planar level speed. The sony's have more bass volume but the denons hit harder. Denons have bigger stage but less depth, better separation, imaging and extension. Sony's are more intimate but have a better 3d presentation, they're very warm, the usual sony house sound, less air and doesn't extend as far as the denons in the treble, notes are weighty, rich and thick all around.

I like them both but my ears prefer the denons if I had to choose one.

Sep 29, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #5,050 of 6,351
Sep 29, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #5,051 of 6,351
I have the z7m2 also, I think the z7m2 in stock form has alot of issues and can be improved substantially with some mods. I think its biggest weakness is speed, the driver is so big it cant move fast enough for some music.

I just recently got the denon d7200 and I'm really enjoying them, they have an unusual tuning though, perhaps not for everyone. Midcentric, very fast, hard hitting bass, good extension, slightly recessed lower treble. Its the fastest dynamic driver I've heard so far, planar level speed. The sony's have more bass volume but the denons hit harder. Denons have bigger stage but less depth, better separation, imaging and extension. Sony's are more intimate but have a better 3d presentation, they're very warm, the usual sony house sound, less air and doesn't extend as far as the denons in the treble, notes are weighty, rich and thick all around.

I like them both but my ears prefer the denons if I had to choose one.
I sold my 7200 in exchange for a Kennerton Magni. Talk about speed! Sub and mid bass are quicker and slam harder. Unfortunately, the upper mids and lower treble were a touch too spicy for my liking. Took care of that with a pad swap. Overall, the sound is more neutral, and I lost some of that bass slam/impact. I'm waiting to receive the Gjallarhorn I just purchased. I'll sell the one I like least. Probably going to take a shot with the new Hifiman Sundara closed back pretty soon as well.

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #5,052 of 6,351
I sold my 7200 in exchange for a Kennerton Magni. Talk about speed! Sub and mid bass are quicker and slam harder. Unfortunately, the upper mids and lower treble were a touch too spicy for my liking. Took care of that with a pad swap. Overall, the sound is more neutral, and I lost some of that bass slam/impact. I'm waiting to receive the Gjallarhorn I just purchased. I'll sell the one I like least. Probably going to take a shot with the new Hifiman Sundara closed back pretty soon as well.
I haven't heard the magni but I have heard the gjallarhorn and while it does have alot of bass, I've found that planars in general don't have the same level of impact of dynamics. The only one that I've heard that can hit like a dynamic was the abyss 1266.

edit: not sure if I mentioned I changed the pads to a thicker sheepskin pad and used some fo.q tape to dampen the vibration a bit.

20220930_012535.JPG

Which mods? Never heard of Z7M2 mods
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...m_medium=email&utm_source=thread_forum_macros

Might have to do some digging but theres some mods by cdacosta that are worth looking at and I did some things as well.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #5,053 of 6,351
I haven't heard the magni but I have heard the gjallarhorn and while it does have alot of bass, I've found that planars in general don't have the same level of impact of dynamics. The only one that I've heard that can hit like a dynamic was the abyss 1266.

edit: not sure if I mentioned I changed the pads to a thicker sheepskin pad and used some fo.q tape to dampen the vibration a bit.

20220930_012535.JPG

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...m_medium=email&utm_source=thread_forum_macros

Might have to do some digging but theres some mods by cdacosta that are worth looking at and I did some things as well.
The Gjallarhorn is a dynamic. That tape is pretty awesome, and it definitely works. I really enjoy the 58X. Thanks again

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #5,054 of 6,351
Yeah sounds like you're prioritizing detail retrieval and imaging then. If closed back is a requirement then I'm assuming you also want reduced sound leakage? I think you have a lot of options in a lot of price ranges to choose from that would satisfy this.

I don't think I'd recommend the ATH-M40x I don't think it's quite there, the Shure SRH1540 would work, either Beyerdynamic 1770 or T5 are probably fine, ZMF Eikon I feel meets the requirement, SONY MDR-Z1R is a maybe (soundstage and imaging is good but stock tuning is odd), Denon D9200 would work but won't have anything like the soundstage you're familiar with, ATH AWAS or ATH AWKT too. You probably just want to avoid V-Shaped Closed backs and instead stick with ones that are more studio-monitor / neutral-ish.

Did you ever listen to the DCA Stealth or is it being excluded due to price?

Would you ever listen to music in these and if so what genres?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #5,055 of 6,351
Yeah sounds like you're prioritizing detail retrieval and imaging then. If closed back is a requirement then I'm assuming you also want reduced sound leakage? I think you have a lot of options in a lot of price ranges to choose from that would satisfy this.

I don't think I'd recommend the ATH-M40x I don't think it's quite there, the Shure SRH1540 would work, either Beyerdynamic 1770 or T5 are probably fine, ZMF Eikon I feel meets the requirement, SONY MDR-Z1R is a maybe (soundstage and imaging is good but stock tuning is odd), Denon D9200 would work but won't have anything like the soundstage you're familiar with, ATH AWAS or ATH AWKT too. You probably just want to avoid V-Shaped Closed backs and instead stick with ones that are more studio-monitor / neutral-ish.

Did you ever listen to the DCA Stealth or is it being excluded due to price?

Would you ever listen to music in these and if so what genres?
Right on re: detail and soundstage. I have HD800s and just want a closed-back alternative. I could probably use more bass though as my last few headphones were relatively bass-light (HD800s, AKG Q701, z7m2)

Stealth - because of the price in a sense, as I am not sure I would get the ROI on that $4000. The thing that puts me off is that people seem to praise Stealth for "out of the box" tuning, but I don't care about that at all. I am only using my headphones with a computer, so I am always EQing them. So as long as the technical elements are there, I am ok if EQ is a must.

I tried asking here and there what happens with Stealth recommendations if we take stock tuning out of the picture, and did not get a clear answer. I understand that people who get Stealth are just settled and happy and would just want to be as happy and settled as they are :)

Also buying Stealth kind of puts the fate of HD800s into question - why own $2k headphones, when you have $4K headphones. It's not like I will use HD800s for travel or as some kind of throwaway gadget.

Do you have any recommendations in such a context? Closed-back, heavy EQ is ok, good soundstage, good/deep bass, good detail, good isolation, don't care about the power requirements. I think I tend to like "neutral" heaphones overall, as "warm" just means different EQ and I can always get from "balanced" to warm if I feel like it. I wouldn't mind spending $2K if that's an endgame-level device. Idk more, but again, I am considering Stealth, so..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back