The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Aug 31, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #4,936 of 6,329
[ Cross-posted from the Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X thread ]

IMG_6033.jpeg

Apples and oranges comparison of two consumer greats, the open-back Sennheiser HD 560S and the closed-back Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X:

Tidal on Mac > JDS Atom DAC > JDS Atom Amp

• Both the HD 560S and DT 700 Pro X are relatively neutral headphones. However, the DT 700 Pro X features a healthy bass boost, whereas the HD 560S sees an emphasis in its lower-treble.
  • Tonally, the DT 700 Pro X is, to my ears, much smoother, warmer, full-bodied, and musical. By comparison, the HD 560S is relatively analytical—almost sterile—and can sound coarse and unrefined depending on source and upstream equipment.
  • The DT 700 Pro X is much more vigorous and robust in its presentation, whereas the HD 560S tends to sound relatively limp and lifeless on certain tracks out of most solid state amps I’ve paired it with.
  • The DT 700 Pro X displays a distinct perception of dimensionality and an atmospheric, enveloping presentation, which the HD 560S seems to lack, coming across as somewhat flat and one-dimensional.
  • In terms of staging, while the DT 700 Pro X sounds predictably more enclosed owing to its closed-back design, I find its soundstage to be appreciably wider and more spacious. The HD 560S on the other hand sounds more open and airy as a result of its, well, open design.
  • Technically, the DT 700 Pro X strikes me as being appreciably more resolving and detailed than the HD 560S. The HD 560S exhibits a more distinct appearance of surface clarity, but this seems due primarily to its tuning, in particular its lower-treble emphasis and relatively more dialled-down low-end.
  • Despite the HD 560S’s relatively flat response, I find the DT 700 Pro X to display a greater sense of realism and timbral accuracy.
  • Transparency and separation appear similar enough between the DT 700 Pro X and HD 560S. Without close A/Bing, I am unable to discern any meaningful differences in this respect.
  • Bass digs much deeper and is presented with significantly greater heft, authority, and vigour on the DT 700 Pro X. However the HD 560S does have the edge in terms of speed, grip, and definition.
  • Mids are significantly fuller-bodied and pleasing on the DT 700 Pro X with a better sense of realism. The HD 560S’s mids are presented in a more conventionally ‘studio monitor’ fashion. Upper-mids can sound somewhat shouty on some tracks to my ears with the HD 560S.
  • Treble is much smoother and more delicate on the DT 700 Pro X, being somewhat peakier, more emphasised, and at times metallic-sounding on the HD 560S.
Overall, I find the DT 700 Pro X to be the much more pleasing and enjoyable listen, and minimally on par with the HD 560S technically, if not surpassing it altogether in several aspects. Beyerdynamic has somehow managed to create in the DT 700 Pro X a studio headphone that is at once rich, musical, and accurate.

This is now my favourite closed-back Beyer besides the DT 150 (with DT 100 velour pads). For reference, closed-back Beyers I've owned: T5p G2, DT 1770, DT 770 80 ohm and 250 ohm. Amongst the sub-$500 closed-backs I've had, including the E-MU Teak and Shure SRH1540, I would easily pick the DT 700 Pro X for its sheer versatility, excellent tuning, and technical performance.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #4,937 of 6,329
Four day weekend aimed at my closed back collection. GOT to thin the herd! Head to head comparo's all weekend.

20220902_101636~2.jpg

Sep 2, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #4,938 of 6,329
Four day weekend aimed at my closed back collection. GOT to thin the herd! Head to head comparo's all weekend.

20220902_101636~2.jpg
... and your iBasso SR2 will say: "Hey you can't let me go, I am not even closed-back!" :smile_phones:

Sep 2, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #4,939 of 6,329
... and your iBasso SR2 will say: "Hey you can't let me go, I am not even closed-back!" :smile_phones:
They are SO bassy that I think of them as closed back. And they have pretty decent isolation too.

Sep 2, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #4,940 of 6,329
They are SO bassy that I think of them as closed back. And they have pretty decent isolation too.
Man, I'm not getting that degree of bass from mine. They thump pretty good, but not basshead type levels. Definitely North of neutral. About perfect for my likings.

Sep 2, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #4,941 of 6,329
Man, I'm not getting that degree of bass from mine. They thump pretty good, but not basshead type levels. Definitely North of neutral. About perfect for my likings.
I find that they match a few of my closed backs in bass. I also don't find that they come close to my open backs (Grado's, Focal's and HE6se V2's) in clarity or full range when it comes to high mids and above.

I only have about 50 hours on them so perhaps I have misjudged so far.
When I first heard them I was thinking to myself, I need to compare these against the Cascades. So, I'll start with the closed backs.

Sep 2, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #4,942 of 6,329

20220902_101636~2.jpg

nice collection. would be interested in knowing which closed headphone isolates the best (and leaks the least) and scales the most when moving from dap to desktop.

Sep 2, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #4,943 of 6,329
When I first heard them I was thinking to myself, I need to compare these against the Cascades.
Doubt there is anything out there that can match the Cascades in bass excessiveness, they sound like you are in a large closed metal tube along with a big subwoofer right beside you:sunglasses:
Had them myself for some time, but were ultimately too much for me.

Sep 2, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #4,944 of 6,329
nice collection. would be interested in knowing which closed headphone isolates the best (and leaks the least) and scales the most when moving from dap to desktop.
I never use them with my DAP, but I think they would all be okay except for the T60 Argons. The HP-2's, the Cascades, the HE-R9's, the SR2's are Very easy to drive.

Only one that really Sucks at isolation are the R9's.

Sep 2, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #4,945 of 6,329
Doubt there is anything out there that can match the Cascades in bass excessiveness, they sound like you are in a large closed metal tube along with a big subwoofer right beside you:sunglasses:
Had them myself for some time, but were ultimately too much for me.
Then you should Never set foot near the HiFiman HE-R9's. After a week straight of the R9's, the Cascades feel almost subtle. :smile:

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #4,946 of 6,329
I wanted to weigh in with the closed backs I have owned or tried.

I currently own the Rognir. Clear crisp sound, great mids with a slighly enhanced bass. Very tight bass. Very good separation and the sound stage and imaging is about as good as you will hear in a closed back. I do believe that it is the best closed back I have ever heard. My sole complaint is that my ears touch the inner part of the pads.

Focal Stellia (owned)….I liked but didn’t love the Stellia. It did everything well…but it never felt special. Good bass. Stage was smallish. It wasn’t near as dynamic as I had hoped. A good headphone but not worth the price tag.

Audio Technica A-WAS (owned)…good for the price. It had some moments. It was average at best on my Ifi Pro ICAN and really good on the Auris Nirvana. It had great mids. It was pretty neutral. Smallish stage. Separation could get a little muddy with rock and songs with a lot of instruments.

Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM (owned)… great bass (definately a bit bass heavy) great soundstage…. Not the most detailed headphone.

Audio Technica A2000X (owned)… bass light, had a metalic reverb is the best I can describe. Not my favorite.

ZMF Verite Closed (auditioned)… good bass, a bit darker sound compared to the Rognir. I really wish I could remember the sound better. It was too long ago and I didnt have enough time to really give a fair impression.
Hi Strayngs, how would you grade ZMF VC / Gjallahorn / Rognir and Stellia in terms of isolation?
I assume sounstage wise Rognir > VC > Gjallahorn > Stellia?

Sep 4, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #4,947 of 6,329

20220902_101636~2.jpg
I guess there was something in the air this weekend as thinning the herd was my objective too.

As far as closed backs go:

The survivors -

- Focal Elegia (with and without Dekoni Stellia Pads)

- Mod House Argon MK3

Fallen Soldiers -

- Mod House T60 Argon (Xenon Suede and Xenon Vegan Leather Pads)

- HifiMan HE-R7DX JM OCD Extreme Stealth + Bass Edition (hilarious name)

Sep 4, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #4,948 of 6,329
I guess there was something in the air this weekend as thinning the herd was my objective too.

As far as closed backs go:

The survivors -

- Focal Elegia (with and without Dekoni Stellia Pads)

- Mod House Argon MK3

Fallen Soldiers -

- Mod House T60 Argon (Xenon Suede and Xenon Vegan Leather Pads)

- HifiMan HE-R7DX JM OCD Extreme Stealth + Bass Edition (hilarious name)
We are on the same path. The T60 Argons will definitely be leaving and I think the LSA HP-2's too. I am thinking Hard about ordering the Radiance 'phones which will eliminate another two pairs.

Sep 4, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #4,949 of 6,329
We are on the same path. The T60 Argons will definitely be leaving and I think the LSA HP-2's too. I am thinking Hard about ordering the Radiance 'phones which will eliminate another two pairs.
Now you're scaring me.... I took a long hard look at my Elegia and was thinking I'd love to swap them for a Radiance. Tried them at Can Jam London and they offer the kind of sound that I get from the Elegia after pad swap and EQ, but without the hassle. I preferred them to the Stellia and Celestee.

In the end I remembered I'm trying to rein in the spending so I decided to stick with the Ele.

Sep 4, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #4,950 of 6,329
Now you're scaring me.... I took a long hard look at my Elegia and was thinking I'd love to swap them for a Radiance. Tried them at Can Jam London and they offer the kind of sound that I get from the Elegia after pad swap and EQ, but without the hassle. I preferred them to the Stellia and Celestee.

In the end I remembered I'm trying to rein in the spending so I decided to stick with the Ele.
If I get the Radiance's they will likely replace the Elegia's and either the Cascades or the HE-R9's.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back