The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Aug 21, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #4,876 of 6,351
Here is something I wrote on another thread, but I thought it was relative to all of us hunting for the perfect closed back.

"I just put my LSA HP-2' s back on Friday night. Better than I immediately remember.

I have ten sets of headphones and I want to downsize. When I am cycling through my headphones and have not heard different pairs for several weeks, I start to think to myself, those 'phones are nice, but they're not great".

Then I put them on (Elegia's, T60 Argon's, LSA HP-2's, etc.), and you know what? There was a reason I bought AND kept them.

I might have to change amps and it might take twenty to thirty minutes to adjust to the new sound signature, but before long my head is bobbin' or laying back on the cushion (depending on the music) and I am thinking, "These are awesome!"

This whole downsizing thing is going to be harder than I thought. :L3000:"
I have already did the same thing you are trying to do, just two advices to you: :beerchug:

- Think in the headphones that work best with most of the genres you like.

- Think in the headphones that connect more times to you emotionally with the music (I call those moments: "magic moments" :smiley:).

For example, my HD 800 give me a lot of magic moments with classical, OSTs, vocal genres and some jazz, but they don't work well with metal, rock or pop (although I like to listen to some albums of those genres with them, because they give me a different approach to the music), I find them thin in those genres, without impact and I get bored very quickly.

I consider the 1990 Pros a truly multigenre beast, but they fail with the "magic moments", except with some symphonic rock albums and some vocal...

Aug 21, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #4,877 of 6,351
I consider myself lucky. Or maybe just simple... I tried many TOTL cans at CanJam London and none,  none, gave me as much enjoyment as I get from my TH900s. Stealth? No. Audeze CRBN? No. LCD MM-500? Nope. Any Hifiman? No again. The only one that came close was the LCD-XC, I did really like that. I have my endgame in my possession and feel no desire to add any more. However a new problem filled the void; I entered the DAP world. Picked up the iBasso DX170 last week and now I can't stop working out how to add the DX320. It will happen at some point, but I'm going to enjoy the 170 for several months first. I never considered DAPs tbh. Then I listened to some at the aforementioned 'Jam I attended and compared what they offered against my LG V30 and Lotoo Paw S1, and well, they offered enough to tempt me down the rabbit hole. I think in time I will end up with no desktop gear and just a DAP for all my listening. The decision was made easier by the fact baby waveSounds makes listening at a stationary place practically impossible.

I took my father with me to the show - who is not a head-fier - and he preferred the Meze 99 Classics to the Stealth lol. He did love the Utopia though and is considering one, but he the other star of the show for him was similarly the XC. That one impressed us both equally.

Here we are sporting the XC and the CRBN (as proof I'm not just making this up heh).

IMG_20220731_161557_copy_2611x1958.jpg

Just incredible. One day Canjam will be in the Canary Islands... At least there is one head-fier here hahahaha

Your father is biased by your TH 900s and obviously he preferred the 99 classic's bass :relieved:

Aug 21, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #4,878 of 6,351
I consider myself lucky. Or maybe just simple... I tried many TOTL cans at CanJam London and none,  none, gave me as much enjoyment as I get from my TH900s. Stealth? No. Audeze CRBN? No. LCD MM-500? Nope. Any Hifiman? No again. The only one that came close was the LCD-XC, I did really like that. I have my endgame in my possession and feel no desire to add any more. However a new problem filled the void; I entered the DAP world. Picked up the iBasso DX170 last week and now I can't stop working out how to add the DX320. It will happen at some point, but I'm going to enjoy the 170 for several months first. I never considered DAPs tbh. Then I listened to some at the aforementioned 'Jam I attended and compared what they offered against my LG V30 and Lotoo Paw S1, and well, they offered enough to tempt me down the rabbit hole. I think in time I will end up with no desktop gear and just a DAP for all my listening. The decision was made easier by the fact baby waveSounds makes listening at a stationary place practically impossible.

I took my father with me to the show - who is not a head-fier - and he preferred the Meze 99 Classics to the Stealth lol. He did love the Utopia though and is considering one, but he the other star of the show for him was similarly the XC. That one impressed us both equally.

Here we are sporting the XC and the CRBN (as proof I'm not just making this up heh).

IMG_20220731_161557_copy_2611x1958.jpg
Agree with your father - I'd also take Meze 99 over DCA Stealth!

Aug 21, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #4,879 of 6,351
I consider myself lucky. Or maybe just simple... I tried many TOTL cans at CanJam London and none,  none, gave me as much enjoyment as I get from my TH900s. Stealth? No. Audeze CRBN? No. LCD MM-500? Nope. Any Hifiman? No again. The only one that came close was the LCD-XC, I did really like that. I have my endgame in my possession and feel no desire to add any more.
Absolutely. The TH900s are pretty good headphones.

Aug 21, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #4,880 of 6,351
I have already did the same thing you are trying to do, just two advices to you: :beerchug:

- Think in the headphones that work best with most of the genres you like.

- Think in the headphones that connect more times to you emotionally with the music (I call those moments: "magic moments" :smiley:).

For example, my HD 800 give me a lot of magic moments with classical, OSTs, vocal genres and some jazz, but they don't work well with metal, rock or pop (although I like to listen to some albums of those genres with them, because they give me a different approach to the music), I find them thin in those genres, without impact and I get bored very quickly.

I consider the 1990 Pros a truly multigenre beast, but they fail with the "magic moments", except with some symphonic rock albums and some vocal...
My genre's are new rock, old rock, blues and jazz. With those options the music varies wildly. And I am edging more into the jazz every year.
I do not have any headphones that I don't like, right now.
I am thinking that I need to set up some new testing routines and test tracks. 10 headphones vs 3 amps just offers too many damn combinations.

Time to build some spreadsheets. :smile:

Aug 21, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #4,881 of 6,351
To whoever own Rognir Planars 😂
Today I accidentally found pads that provide really magical synergy with ROHM DACs.

Had some spare time and started to test tons of pads with both DX320 (stock amp) and N8ii using sharp roll-off filter.

Kennerton original less perforated ECL-02 pads really made groundbreaking difference to me:
1. Unbelievably natural and balanced tuning which I always prefer over Traillii for the first time ever 😮
2. Exceptional clarity and extension - much better than with non-perforated ECL-03 and more natural than using stock pads. It also managed to retain nice sparks in highs while mids sound vibrant but not unnatural.
3. And the funniest thing - very effortless and more sliced layering that allowed even more details to shine through. This was the most unexpected thing.

So for now prefer my over-ear instead of Traillii by a big margin (wasn’t the case before this).
Let’s see if upcoming Venom Liquid Links cable could change this back 🤭

cc @Nostoi

Aug 21, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #4,882 of 6,351
HI all, would anyone post a "top 5 closed headphones" list for those of us not in the loop for the past couple years? FYI my best is a ZMF Ori.
You should check out page 1 of this string, too, a bunch of us discussed and voted on different “best in price range”, and @Malevolent compiled them, added helpful links, etc.

It’s a very helpful list, and covers a great gamut of options.

Aug 22, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #4,883 of 6,351
An update to my original post here. Tldr: I selected the MKII's (w/Dekoni Fostex X00 sheepskin elite pads!) as my favorite out of all of these HP's listed below.

After considerable time and effort (and return shipping fees haha), I've selected the Fostex MKII w/Dekoni pads as my closed-back for home use. In the end, it came down to a head-to-head battle between these and Denon d9200's. The MKII's won out.... but just barely. The d9200's are a great HP too. However I had to choose one. I should mention, there's no way I would've chosen the MKII's with the stock pads... they are terrible.

I feel it's worth noting, I'm very surprised that after going through all of these HP's - a lengthy process which first entailed reading multiple online reviews, then buying, personally testing and listening to each one, then returning those I didn't like - I never did find exactly what I was looking for. I had three main criteria (as I'm sure we all do with closed-backs): isolation, comfort, and, of course, sound. Not one of these hit all three. Not one! That was surprising to me. So after all this work, I'm still left feeling a little disappointed. That said, my ears do enjoy the MKII's sound the best out of all of these, so I feel good about that.

If I could build a HP, I'd combine the MKII with the Dan Clark (Mr.Speakers) Ether C Flow 1.1. The comfort and isolation on the Ethers was wonderful. I ranked them #1 in those two categories vs all of the HP's I tried (they were tied #1 with Focal Stellia for isolation). However, since sound trumps all, I went with the Fostex.

In fact, I tried switching the Ether pads over to both the d9200's and the MKII's. I also bought about 10 different pads to try for both of these HP's as well. That was an effort all in itself! In the end, stock pads on the d9200 are the best for that HP, and Dekoni Fostex X00 sheepskin elite are best on the MKII's. The stock pads on the MKII's should be ashamed of themselves.

Here is the complete list, sorted by price, of all the ones I tried. While I did take notes on each one, writing my own reviews and posting here would take forever. Since I'm a newb reviewer, and there's tons of other reviews on all these out on the interwebz, I'm going to skip that part.

(on a side note, have you ever noticed the sometimes really hard-to-understand language used in HP reviews? For the most part, reviews can be incredibly helpful. However, from time-to-time, I'd read a review with language that just made me say, What does that mean!? Case in point, I came across this phrase a few weeks back and had a good chuckle, "polite transients along with soft and not too distinct microdynamics". Maybe you guys know what that means, but I sure as hell don't! :) )

Sony MDR7506
Audio-Technica M50x
Sennheiser HD 569
Audio-Technica MSR7
Audio-Technica MSR7b
Audio-Technica M70X
Audio-Technica SR9
Focal Elegia
Ultrasone Signature DXP
Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd Gen
Denon AH-d7200
Dan Clark Audio AEON 2
AUDEZE LCD-XC
Audio-Technica ATH-AP2000Ti
Denon AH-d9200
Mr.Speakers Ether C Flow 1.1
Fostex TH-900mk2 Premium --- WINNER
Sony MDR-Z1R
Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT Kokutan
Focal Stellia

So, FWIW to anyone reading this, that's where I landed. Hopefully this might help someone else. This is really a great place, I've learned a lot from reading all these posts and reviews. Thanks to all of you who unknowingly contributed to my deep-dive into the world of closed-backs.

Next up on task-list is trying balanced cables. Then maybe dac/amps.
How did the Focal Stellia stack up to the others. Thank you

Aug 24, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #4,884 of 6,351
I ended up ordering the Elegias instead of the Aeon closed X; it seemed like they’re similarly capable headphones, and that it would really come down to personal taste. The Elegias also will probably have a more divergent sound signature from the LCD-i3 set I already have, and it’ll be nice to try something new. Thanks to everyone who chimed in with a recommendation!

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #4,885 of 6,351
LCD-XC-Verite-Closed.jpg Gjallarhorn-HP-3.jpg

So, the 3 Americans decided to pay their Russian friend a visit..

This is Part 2 of my all-woodie shootout. This time, it involves the (new) Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 going against the Audeze LCD-XC, the Klipsch Heritage HP-3, and the ZMF Vérité Closed. You can read Part 1 here.

As usual, some pre-review notes:
  • All of them were tested with their stock cables.
  • My source is the usual, a Schiit Gungnir Multibit and a Schiit Mjolnir 2.
  • I used an eclectic selection of tracks (75% EDM, 25% Pop and Rock).
  • No modifications were made to any of the 4 headphones.
This is going to be a stellar fight, so let's get to it!

Bass
As usual, we start with the most important category, bass (I am a basshead, after all).

Audeze LCD-XC: The LCD-XC has very clean and well-sculpted bass. In comparison with the rest of the headphones in this list, it almost appears anemic in the first 10-15 seconds of use. Of course, it is not bass shy, but its lows are certainly not as profound or as prominent as the rest of the lineup. It retains a slightly-elevated mid-bass hump, which provides the headphone with a degree of authority in its lows. It also has the fastest transients with the shortest decay; the beats do not linger. In the grand scheme of things, the LCD-XC has clean, punchy bass with very good extension into the sub-bass regions.

However, the sub-bass, whilst decently extended, are not as tangible as the other 3; the rumble is neither as impactful or substantial. Moreover, in comparison with the lows on the dynamic-driver-based headphones, the texture of the lows on the LCD-XC aren't as enthralling or as engaging.

Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50: Picking up from where it previously left off, the Kennerton enters this shootout with the scars of battle from its previous fight; and boy, did it make an excellent account of itself. The lows are powerful, with very good impact; it has boosted bass, but not egregiously so. Thus, the entire presentation is controlled yet prominent. The lows are punchy with very good impact, and the texture is ethereal; IMO, you'll be hard-pressed to find lows that sound so sweet in the headphone world. In tandem with its mid-bass performance, the sub-bass is well-extended, with tactile and solid rumble that is very addictive. The speed of the bass on the Gjallarhorn is surprisingly good, trading blows with the LCD-XC in this aspect. It lags by a bit, though, but this is not a demerit in any way; some of us actually prefer bass that has a longer decay.

The Gjallarhorn has a mesmerizing bass presentation that has few flaws. It can sound a little boomy at times, but never bloated. Hence, it avoids any unwanted congestion in its lows; similarly, it avoids bleeding too much into the lower midrange.

Klipsch Heritage HP-3: The Heritage HP-3 is a slight outlier in this bunch; it is a semi-open headphone, as opposed to the fully sealed headphones in contention. Nevertheless, it functions akin to a closed-back, so this justifies its inclusion in a closed-back shootout.

The Klipsch offers the heaviest lows in this shootout. The mid-bass elevation is sizeable, as is its punch and impact, which are both prominent and potent. The bass presentation is thick and well-rounded, with decent sub-bass rumble and extension. If you're looking for some heavy bass, the HP-3 does not disappoint in the quantity department.

However, the bass on the Klipsch can be too thick for its own good; this severely affects detail retrieval. The layering in the bass similarly suffers, so you may not enjoy the articulation provided by the other 3 headphones.

ZMF Vérité Closed: The ZMF flagship comes into the shootout with its laser sight locked on to the Gjallarhorn. Can it claim another victim? Well, not exactly.

Along with the Gjallarhorn, the Vérité Closed offers the best texture in its lows. It is really something else, blending a healthy mid-bass boost with a powerful sub-bass region to afford a sweet, addictive presentation. The mid-bass hump is not as obvious here, but it really does come in handy when your track requires an injection of lows. What pushes the ZMF over the Kennerton is the layering; here, the Vérité Closed does an effortless job of separating the many coats of bass in the lower registers. Articulation and detail is also top-notch, and you won't be found wanting more, especially for audiophiles of the basshead persuasion.

The rumble on the Vérité Closed is a rung below the Gjallarhorn, though - the Kennerton is innately supreme in its ability to generate strong sub-bass that thunders and growls like a refined beast. The ZMF also lags slightly behind the Gjallarhorn in terms of speed; it's not slow, though, in the grand scheme of things.

Winner: The Gjallarhorn and the Vérité Closed share the spoils for this category. The Vérité Closed is probably a touch more articulate in its presentation, but the Gjallarhorn is far more engaging with a great balance of technical strengths and sheer presence.

Midrange
Audeze LCD-XC:
The Audeze has a slightly warm presentation, with a midrange that is clean and clear. As a whole, its component parts help to forge a midrange that is well-defined, free from bloom, and teeming with detail. The midrange on display is one of the best illustrated, with good articulation and control. Instruments and vocals have good presence (in general), and are well separated.

Sadly, the LCD-XC also has an interesting (read: weird) quirk in its midrange. The lower-mids are scooped relative to the upper-midrange, resulting in male vocals losing a degree of authority; in contrast, female vocals are a lot more prominent. This is especially obvious in tracks that have both male and female voices; the ladies sound closer to you, whilst the gents are several steps behind.

Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50: The Gjallarhorn has a midrange section that has good weight, is sufficient lush, and is well-rounded. Compared to the LCD-XC, the Kennerton presents vocals with greater impact and command; this is true for both vocals and instruments. I also enjoy the timbre on the Gjallarhorn; vocals sound very natural and engaging.

However, in contrast with the other LCD-XC and the Vérité Closed, the Gjallarhorn struggles a little with articulation and detail. In a vacuum, it'll be a challenge to define its resolving capabilities (or lack thereof); however, if you're in a shootout with the aforementioned 2 headphones, any foibles can be discerned easily.

Klipsch Heritage HP-3: As with its bass profile, the Klipsch has thick, luscious mids that are weighty and full. The texture of the mids are particularly good here; the HP-3 brings a lot of life to vocals. Male voices are rendered exceptionally well - you'll hear a sense of vigor and passion that is rivalled by few in the closed-back headphone sphere. Naturally, they sound very organic, too.

Things are not all good with the Klipsch, though. There is a persistent bloom to its sound, resulting in a diffuse-sounding midrange presentation. Clarity is also a miss on the Klipsch; the other 3 headphones are more adept at reproducing instruments and voices with better definition.

ZMF Vérité Closed: We close the midrange battle with the star of the show. With a slight warmth and fullness to its tone, the ZMF is an effortless champ at producing a thoroughly-engaging midrange that is chock-full of detail. The Vérité Closed is easily the most engaging headphone in this comparison in terms of the midrange presentation. Its vocals are sweet yet clear; the sound is rich yet well-resolved.

There is little to fault the Vérité Closed in this component, really. Of all of the (closed) headphones that I've tested, none can best the ZMF at producing alluring vocals.

Winner: The Vérité Closed, obviously. If you want vocals to sound at its absolute best, and you value detail, clarity, presence, and texture, the ZMF is the can for the job. You'll be hard-pressed to find a closed-back headphone that reproduces a midrange that performs on a similar level to the Vérité Closed.

Treble
And things start to get contentious...

Audeze LCD-XC: The Audeze has a measured but clear treble presentation; it has good control over the entire spectrum. There are no stray peaks, thus, its highs are neither harsh nor strident. It retains a small measure of energy, though, which balances the ever-so-slightly elevated mid-bass. There is also very good extension into the upper regions To it all off, the LCD-XC has a relatively airy treble region.

On the other hand, the Audeze is lacking sparkle and fine grain in its highs. It is not dark, as opposed to the Gjallarhorn, but it doesn't have a bright and stellar treble presentation either.

Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50: As mentioned in the previous shootout, the Gjallarhorn has a muted and subdued treble section. Thankfully, it retains good definition and clarity in its highs. Even in the absence of soaring peaks, the Kennerton has highs that are crisp, with a hint of shimmer up top.

However, the highs are still decidedly recessed, so fans of prominent and soaring highs will find the Gjallarhorn severely lacking in this particular aspect; the upper registers sound overly smooth and syrupy, and are found lacking in top-level sparkle and energy.

Klipsch Heritage HP-3: The Klipsch is the brightest headphone of the lot, with a distinctly augmented treble region. The highs have a lot of energy and vibrancy; this is coupled with good technical abilities in the articulation department. As it is a semi-open headphone, the HP-3 naturally has the airiest presentation in its highs.

However, with some prominent treble peaks, the HP-3 has the unfortunate tendency of sounding overly harsh and sharp at times. In fact, it may be sibilant to some; the energy emanating from the treble section may be excessive.

ZMF Vérité Closed: In comparison to the HP-3, the Vérité Closed has a subdued treble region. In contrast to the Gjallarhorn, the ZMF has brighter highs. Thus, it treads the fine line between these 2 treble presentations; it has good control, so the highs never sound strident. There is a serving of fine grain and sparkle in its highs, with decent extension into the upper registers. It is also decently airy, losing only to the HP-3 in this detail.

Alas, whilst adequate quality is on display here, the Vérité Closed is distinctly lacking in prominence and overall energy. The highs aren't as smooth or as velvety as the treble on the Gjallarhorn, so there is a greater semblance of engagement.

Winner: The LCD-XC wins this round, with a well-represented treble region that has good articulation, detail and vividness.

Technicalities
Audeze LCD-XC:
The LCD-XC has very good resolution, producing fine detail with ease. In comparison to the other 3 headphones, the Audeze's clean and cut profile helps to deliver a portrait of top-level clarity; this is made easier by its fine ability to layer the instruments and voices in a distinct manner. Even within crowded tracks, the LCD-XC handily resolves and reproduces minute pieces.

Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50: In comparison with the other headphones in this shootout, the Gjallarhorn has average-to-decent detail retrieval capabilities. It can resolve nuances and fine elements, but it's a challenge to recognize its ability in this aspect. The Kennerton also handles instrument and voice separation satisfactorily; it is not supremely impressive, but it isn't terrible either. The great challenge starts from the Gjallarhorn's struggle to separate the components of its cramped stage. Thankfully, the tussle pays off - you'll hear the detail you want; it's just not obtained in a smooth and easy manner.

Klipsch Heritage HP-3: The HP-3 has the most congested sound of the headphones in this shootout; there is very little separation going on in its signature. The persistent bloom or warmth is pervasive; this greatly hampers its ability to produce micro-details. Thus, top-end clarity suffers as a result. With that being said, like the Gjallarhorn, the resolution is there; it is just difficult to spot.

ZMF Vérité Closed: The Vérité Closed completes this section with a marvelous solo performance. Like the LCD-XC before it, the ZMF flagship is a maestro at reproducing fine details and nuances in music, even within complex passages. It trumps the Audeze, though, by having greater inherent talent at separating distinct layers of vocals and instruments; it does with the greatest of ease. The Vérité Closed also handles dynamics with ease, even within busy tracks.

Winner: The Vérité Closed has the best technical chops in this shootout, followed by the LCD-XC in close pursuit.

Staging and Imaging
Audeze LCD-XC:
With a wide and deep stage, the LCD-XC projects a sufficiently large sound scape. It isn't as wide as the Vérité Closed, but it matches it in sheer depth. There is very even distribution throughout; imaging cues are also superb.

Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50: The Gjallarhorn has the smallest stage of the 4. It can sound a little cramped at the worst of times, too. Thankfully, it retains a good sense of depth, although, you'd wish for a large stage to begin with. It also has decent-to-good imaging capabilities.

Klipsch Heritage HP-3: The Klipsch has a wide and deep stage; one of the best amongst the 4. It is also sufficiently tall, with very good imaging throughout. The projection of music on the HP-3 is quite grand in that sense, bested only by the Vérité Closed.

ZMF Vérité Closed: The Vérité Closed has the largest stage in all 3 dimensions, with very clear and precise positioning throughout. It projects an impressive sense of scale, as far as closed-back headphones go; this helps to lend a touch of awe to your music.

Winner: The Vérité Closed, followed by the HP-3. Both of them have wide and deep stages; for a closed-back headphone (the ZMF), it is very impressive.

Comfort
Audeze LCD-XC:
It has comfortable pads, a comfortable headband, and a decent grip. So far, so good. However, it is also godawfully heavy, tipping the scales at nearly 700g! My head and my ears don't experience issues, but my neck cries out for help on occasion. Thankfully, I've grown accustomed to its mass; however, interested parties may wish to reconsider.

Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50: Let's see? Supremely comfortable pads? Check. Comfortable headband? Check. Light but firm grip? Check. Unfortunately, the Gjallarhorn has a strong grip; this caused some slight unease around my head after about an hour of use.

Klipsch Heritage HP-3: The Klipsch has a nice, soft headband and a rather light body. However, it also has the strongest grip, and some really small and pretty rigid pads. Thus, it is the most uncomfortable to use of the headphones in this shootout.

ZMF Vérité Closed: Like the Gjallarhorn, the Vérité Closed has the nicest, plushest pads. It also has a comfortable headband, an average grip, and the mass of a light-heavyweight. Hence, it fits all of the requirements of a comfortable headphone.

Winner: The Vérité Closed. It has all of the positives, and none of the negatives.

Final Thoughts
After the first shootout, I approached the second part with a greater sense of understanding, and thus, appreciation, of the capabilities of the Kennerton Gjallarhorn, as well as its shortcomings. Thus, I wasn't taken aback this time around with its generally-weaker performances in the treble, staging and technical-related departments. Nevertheless, the Kennerton still reigned supreme in the bass department, with one of the most engaging and well-textured presentations in the world of closed-back headphones. Plus, it still remains a decent-to-good performer in the midrange, especially with its lush and strong vocals.

The Audeze LCD-XC was a quiet but stellar performer. For too long, I have been slightly dismissive of the Audeze, as its weird tonal imbalance was somewhat disagreeable. After completing this shootout, I have come to better value and respect the LCD-XC for its many strengths. It is a great closed-back planar after all, with a clean and clear signature. Its bass profile was typically planar, but it had some shades of a good dynamic, too - it blends speed and clarity with texture and punch. A good presentation, indeed.

The Klipsch Heritage HP-3 was very middle-of-the-ground in this comparison. It didn't do anything spectacularly well, but it wasn't appalling in one single aspect either - except for the comfort factor, that is. For too long, I have lauded the HP-3 for its bass capabilities; in this shootout, it didn't best any headphone in this category. In fact, it was probably at the end of the scale as far as the aspects of quality, extension and articulation are concerned. It is still a headphone with a good bass presentation, but it is not the best. This just goes to show that, in a vacuum, any single headphone may sound fantastic; however, if you do a comparison with its contemporaries, you may find certain facets of its sound poorer (or better) than others.

Lastly, the Vérité Closed was the clear champion in this shootout. It was the winner in most of the categories, and matched the Gjallarhorn in the overall bass stakes. It is not perfect, though - the treble could certainly use some work; I'd prefer a greater sense of engagement and definition in its highs. With that being said, it has a sublime and powerful midrange that adds a touch of life to any music, particular ones that are vocal-driven. The prominence and authority in the way the Vérité Closed reproduces vocals is truly special, IMO.
Hey, my Clear OG has a damaged driver. I came to this post from the general Kennerton Thread. Although I recentley bought a Final D8k pro, enjoy it very much, have a 2 years old Magni, like it as well, obviousley less than Clears and or D8k pro...
I'm looking to replace the Clear!
I'm ca. on page 265 in the Kennerton Thread! So haven't read anything about the Rognir planar and/dynamic. Anyway would you agree the the VC could be better suited then the GH JM for me as "an audiophile basshead"?
I'm thinking of adding a HP which is on the same technical then the Finals but with dynamic drivers/Impact... Thanks!

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #4,886 of 6,351
Hey, my Clear OG has a damaged driver. I came to this post from the general Kennerton Thread. Although I recentley bought a Final D8k pro, enjoy it very much, have a 2 years old Magni, like it as well, obviousley less than Clears and or D8k pro...
I'm looking to replace the Clear!
I'm ca. on page 265 in the Kennerton Thread! So haven't read anything about the Rognir planar and/dynamic. Anyway would you agree the the VC could be better suited then the GH JM for me as "an audiophile basshead"?
I'm thinking of adding a HP which is on the same technical then the Finals but with dynamic drivers/Impact... Thanks!
Sadly @Malevolent is in hibernation from Headfi, but - as you know - having had the D8000 Pro myself perhaps I can chip in.

ZMF VC certainly takes care of the audiophile bass category, but it absolutely does not have the technical performance of the Final's. VC is a slower headphone with a laid back timbre. Soundstage is good but imaging and layering are soft.

Kennerton Rognir (planar) has the speed and attack of the Final's with a remarkably wide sense of space. Imaging, layering, detail retrieval are top tier. Bass is fast, nimble, and well extended but you will not find the same "bloom" you'd find in VC. There are some similarities with D8000 Pro in terms of overall performance, though Rognir is more forward and slightly more aggressive in presentation. If you want a closed-back on the same level as Final's, Rognir are a good choice.

I think I have a comparison of VC and Rognir on this thread somewhere if beneficial.

Aug 25, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #4,887 of 6,351
Any love for the Stealths on this thread?

DCA Stealth.jpg

Aug 25, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #4,888 of 6,351
Lastly, the Vérité Closed was the clear champion in this shootout. It was the winner in most of the categories, and matched the Gjallarhorn in the overall bass stakes. It is not perfect, though - the treble could certainly use some work; I'd prefer a greater sense of engagement and definition in its highs. With that being said, it has a sublime and powerful midrange that adds a touch of life to any music, particular ones that are vocal-driven. The prominence and authority in the way the Vérité Closed reproduces vocals is truly special, IMO.
I was just listening to my Blackwood VC's last night on my BH C2A. What a sublime pairing.

Still, after having the Atriums for a bit, I can't help but wonder what magic sauce Zach is going to come up with next for the Atrium Closed. The punchiness and organicity of that driver is something special... I've never heard drums sound better -- even compared to the LCD-5.

When Zach drops the Atrium Closed, I'm probably not going to be able to help myself. I'm sure the AC/VC combo will be very hard to beat... at any price.

Aug 26, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #4,889 of 6,351
Sadly @Malevolent is in hibernation from Headfi, but - as you know - having had the D8000 Pro myself perhaps I can chip in.

ZMF VC certainly takes care of the audiophile bass category, but it absolutely does not have the technical performance of the Final's. VC is a slower headphone with a laid back timbre. Soundstage is good but imaging and layering are soft.

Kennerton Rognir (planar) has the speed and attack of the Final's with a remarkably wide sense of space. Imaging, layering, detail retrieval are top tier. Bass is fast, nimble, and well extended but you will not find the same "bloom" you'd find in VC. There are some similarities with D8000 Pro in terms of overall performance, though Rognir is more forward and slightly more aggressive in presentation. If you want a closed-back on the same level as Final's, Rognir are a good choice.

I think I have a comparison of VC and Rognir on this thread somewhere if beneficial.
Oh, I hope he is ok, very active member...

Will check out your comparison, and also your impressions on the Rognir in the Kennerton Thread. I'm currentley on page 330, right when it is about to be released.

Are there actually 2 different tunings, regular and bass, for it? If so, you have the regular one, right?

Since not too many talk about Spirit Torino, I'll read up on them also. Maybe twin puls tech could bring exiting flavour...

Aug 27, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #4,890 of 6,351
Oh, I hope he is ok, very active member...

Will check out your comparison, and also your impressions on the Rognir in the Kennerton Thread. I'm currentley on page 330, right when it is about to be released.

Are there actually 2 different tunings, regular and bass, for it? If so, you have the regular one, right?

Since not too many talk about Spirit Torino, I'll read up on them also. Maybe twin puls tech could bring exiting flavour...
Yes 2 different tunings, but these tunings can also be tuned with pads. I have regular tuning but with bass pads, which means I can switch between tunings if desired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back