The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Aug 15, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #4,846 of 6,351
Finally got a chance to test Beyerdynamic T5.3.

I don't hear much about these headphones. None of the main headphone reviewers I follow on YouTube have reviewed these. I only know about them from these forums.

Here's what I think:

-They're not winning any comfort awards, but compared to the Focal Radiance, the Focals are quite heavy, and for that reason they clamp in a weird spot (basically on the lower part of the cup) and constantly feel like they want to slip off my head. These clamp more normally and the lightness is appreciated. That said, these are more "on ear" than "over ear". Do headphone manufacturers think that human beings have small circular-shaped ears? I want true over ear like Sennheisers, Audioquest NightOwl, Edition XS, and DCA Aeon. Why can't there be more closed-backs with this ear cup shape? :weary: The Radiance has better isolation, but these are fine. About the same as the NightOwl with suede pads.
-The bass is wonderful. Both the Radiance and the T5.3 have elevated bass, but it's more elevated on the T5.3 yet not to the point of being bloaty like the Meze 99 Classics or Hifiman R9. I wouldn't call these "bass canons", but the bass hits hard. The treble is a bit more elevated than I prefer (I really want something rolled off like the NightOwl and this isn't that). That said, they're not bright or sibilant. The treble and upper mids are more pronounced than on a warm, dark headphone the NightOwl, but it is controlled and not peaky and the extra detail is there as a result. These do sound like $1000 headphones.

I'll have to do some more listening to determine if I really want a pair for myself (and if I can get used to the small ear cups), but so far I'm liking what I'm hearing. My never-ending quest for a NightOwl replacement continues, but I think these come closer to being a NightOwl replacement than the Radiance. The Radiance is a beautiful work of art (as are all Focals), but I'd like a bit more warmth and a bit less weight, and the T5.3 checks off both those boxes.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #4,847 of 6,351

I don't hear much about these headphones. None of the main headphone reviewers I follow on YouTube have reviewed these. I only know about them from these forums.

Here's what I think:

-They're not winning any comfort awards, but compared to the Focal Radiance, the Focals are quite heavy, and for that reason they clamp in a weird spot (basically on the lower part of the cup) and constantly feel like they want to slip off my head. These clamp more normally and the lightness is appreciated. That said, these are more "on ear" than "over ear". Do headphone manufacturers think that human beings have small circular-shaped ears? I want true over ear like Sennheisers, Audioquest NightOwl, Edition XS, and DCA Aeon. Why can't there be more closed-backs with this ear cup shape? :weary: The Radiance has better isolation, but these are fine. About the same as the NightOwl with suede pads.
-The bass is wonderful. Both the Radiance and the T5.3 have elevated bass, but it's more elevated on the T5.3 yet not to the point of being bloaty like the Meze 99 Classics or Hifiman R9. I wouldn't call these "bass canons", but the bass hits hard. The treble is a bit more elevated than I prefer (I really want something rolled off like the NightOwl and this isn't that). That said, they're not bright or sibilant. The treble and upper mids are more pronounced than on a warm, dark headphone the NightOwl, but it is controlled and not peaky and the extra detail is there as a result. These do sound like $1000 headphones.

I'll have to do some more listening to determine if I really want a pair for myself (and if I can get used to the small ear cups), but so far I'm liking what I'm hearing. My never-ending quest for a NightOwl replacement continues, but I think these come closer to being a NightOwl replacement than the Radiance. The Radiance is a beautiful work of art (as are all Focals), but I'd like a bit more warmth and a bit less weight, and the T5.3 checks off both those boxes.
Wow, I was surprised to read your post. It just goes to show that we all hear Very differently.
I hated the T5.3's. I found them too bassy and muffled.

What really struck me was how we disagree on almost Every single headphone. :smile:

I had the NightOwl Carbons and absolutely hated them. Like the T5.3's, they went up for sale after a month, which is a rarity for me.

I Never found the 99's bloated at all, but have to agree on the HE-R9's (some commond ground!). But I do love my R9's. Also, I would Love to try the Radiance headphones.

Not meant to dismiss or denigrate your review. I was just so surprised at how differently we all hear. It was a very nice write-up!

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #4,848 of 6,351
It's very different, for sure! What people often describe as "detailed/neutral", I hear as "bright/piercing". I'm very treble sensitive. DCA Noire was basically unlistenable to me because of the harsh sibilance even with the highest dampening. The warmer/darker/lusher the better. :grin:

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #4,849 of 6,351
It's very different, for sure! What people often describe as "detailed/neutral", I hear as "bright/piercing". I'm very treble sensitive. DCA Noire was basically unlistenable to me because of the harsh sibilance even with the highest dampening. The warmer/darker/lusher the better. :grin:
You would have HATED the Beyer T5p.2's. :smile:
I know I did. They were the reason that I bought a Schiit Loki.

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #4,850 of 6,351
I am also treble sensitive. I cannot tolerate piercing high frequencies. But at the same time, I want the sound to be detailed. And bright does not necessarily mean piercing, right?

Aug 15, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #4,851 of 6,351

Here's what I think:

At some point I might have to try these. If they are high-impedance, they would work really well with my tube amp. And the sound signature sounds like it’s for me!

Aug 15, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #4,852 of 6,351
At some point I might have to try these. If they are high-impedance, they would work really well with my tube amp. And the sound signature sounds like it’s for me!
32 Ohm impedance.

Aug 15, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #4,853 of 6,351
32 Ohm impedance.
Dang it! Beyer has done some high-impedance cans, so I was hopeful… oh well, I’ll stick with ZMFs then. No problem! 😁

Aug 16, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #4,854 of 6,351
Yeah, they're quite easy to drive. Easier even than the Focal. They're just about the easiest headphones to drive I've used in a while. I had to set the volume on my Asgard 3 at 9 o'clock.

Aug 16, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #4,855 of 6,351
That said, these are more "on ear" than "over ear".

Still genuinely pretty frustrated that this is even a thing. From the impressions I've seen the T5.3 sounds like it could be a really good match for me, but yeah, the small cups absolutely kill it for me. I simply can't stand headphones that don't have enough space for the ears.

It's a dang kilobuck pair of cans and Beyer already has a long history of making comfortable and reasonably big pads with the DT series (even if they're still circular) so I'm having a bit of hard time understanding why they'd do this with their flagship stuff.

Aug 16, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #4,856 of 6,351
Hi guys!

Would be eager to hear your opinion - if I already own Rognir, does adding HiFiMAN R-10P worth it?
Does it provide completely different or outstanding experience?

Aug 16, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #4,857 of 6,351
On the T5s it's the pads. The size of the cups is exactly the same as for example the DT 770, DT 1990 and Amiron series.
When I had my T5p.2's I changed the pads to something that fits more easily like the DT 1770 velour pads (they are still quite isolating and stick to the Beyerdynamic sound).
I tried the T5.3 but liked the Focal Celestee better for what it does. I'm still trying to figure out why the T5.3 was so much uncomfortable for me while I have owned the T1.2 and T5p.2 for multiple years. The new DT 700 pro x was a terrible clamp force when I first got it but it turned into a can I can wear for hours. The T5.3 gave me a terrible hotspot on the top of my head.

Aug 16, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #4,859 of 6,351
Listening fatigue is also related to the music we listen to - so detailed and neutral with a good recording is enjoyable but not so much with compressed music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back