The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jul 27, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #4,757 of 6,418
Yes, on my head (since we all differ in sizes) the isolation is good, and leakage is very limited.
I would imagine a bigger head would mean a potentially better seal? I recently learned that I have a pretty big head - a cap designed for heads up to 600mm in circumference barely fit me lol.

Jul 27, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #4,758 of 6,418
Look at these transformed R10 cups done by John Massaria

88E18CFE-F85A-42F9-9940-A2FEA85CCA07.png
63C568A8-CE91-4E4B-AD70-CA82E7892547.png

Jul 28, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #4,759 of 6,418
1658981331874.png

Has this been posted yet? :) I know there is some HiFiman drama in this thread but this is still exciting regardless

Jul 28, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #4,760 of 6,418
Jul 28, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #4,761 of 6,418
I would imagine a bigger head would mean a potentially better seal? I recently learned that I have a pretty big head - a cap designed for heads up to 600mm in circumference barely fit me lol.
I would think so, yes! 😊

Jul 28, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #4,762 of 6,418
1658981331874.png

Has this been posted yet? :) I know there is some HiFiman drama in this thread but this is still exciting regardless
Now you have confirmed what a friend said to me via PM this morning... My wallet is starting to tremble :sweat:

BTW, where is the guy who started all of this (I mean this thread)?

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #4,763 of 6,418
After fretting for over a month since my Lagoon broke down, I found a B-stock on Thomann for both the Audeze LCD-2 closed back and the Dan Clark Audio Aeon Noire. I ordered both and will return one. I had a listen to the Audeze on my own music (synth) and was very impressed. I'm planning to take a couple of days to listen to a more diverse selection of music, as well as using them both for working with my synth. I’ll do a direct comparison with the Lagoon as well, which I like, but frequently gives me a nasty surprise when listening to the same material on my monitor speakers. Looking very much forward to it!
The Lagoon had an excellent sound when I tried it at a music shop, but I found it pretty uncomfortable when compared to Sony or Bose, so I left it aside. Now the Aeon Noire is a different beast. So addictive that I sold it and bought it again. I hope this time never to leave home.

Jul 28, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #4,764 of 6,418
For the next 24 hours with the code you get from the win section of kennerton you can get one of the 3 Rognir Planar listed there for $2850. It used to be $4200. That is almost $1400 off. I doubt you will be able to even find a used one for that price.
https://kennerton.org/win-discount/

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #4,765 of 6,418
Here are my thoughts on LCD-2CB vs Aeon2 Noire, with a short side trip to the Lagoon, after 3 hours of listening today.

Overall:
  • Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back has a very wide soundstage (closed back to closed back) with very good positioning of the instruments. It is overall reasonably neutral, with reasonably strong bass, a hump in the mid and a dip in the higher mid. That gives it a bit of a dated sound for some music when coming from the Noire, but also noticeable without A-B comparison. It's quite unwieldy in hand but still very comfortable on the head. If I were to keep it, I'd have to invest in a stand for the desk and IEMs for travel on top of the LCD-2 itself. It feels like a liability rather than an asset - I would use it despite itself, just for the great sound. It reminds me of a Chesterfield couch with brandy and cigar - a relic of the past, perhaps? 🥃
  • Aeon2 Noire: Soundstage is much more limited (ear to ear, max), though it seemed to improve for some sounds when I started using the pads. Still far behind the LCD-2. I would describe the FR as strongly V-shaped. Bass and treble are very pronounced, to the point where some music becomes unlistenable. The pads help in tuning the treble but not the bass. It's a very practical set of headphones, easy to handle and they collapse into a practical fistful. They can travel. They're thoroughly modern, like a Scandinavian couch in a black&white room with gin&tonic. Non-smoking, of course. :cocktail:
  • Compared to these seniors, the Lagoon is obviously cheaper, particularly in its build and fit. It hurts with glasses and feels cramped. The plastics also completely gave up on me and started disintegrating. Still, the sound is fairly good considering the price difference (4x cheaper). Bass doesn't extend so deeply, mids are congested and treble is not very present but the overall sound is pleasing. It's a third-hand worn down sofa, torn jeans, beer straight from the bottle, but boy, we're having fun! 🤘
This is causing me a bit of a problem because while I like a lot about the LCD-2, I don't like how unwieldy it is. I mean, if you ship your headphones with its own suitcase, perhaps you have a situation. The sound is also not really crisp in the upper mids, which is a shame, as it's overall really quite incredible. Soundstage, stereo imaging, detail in bass, rich mids, it's all so good. On the other hand - the Noire is absolutely brilliant as a physical object. But I really had to put it down mid-track on many occasions. The bright treble and heavy bass is just too fatiguing, even with the pads in some cases, and they cause the mids, which are already recessed, to not come out at all in some cases. Unfortunately, they are definitely going back. The LCD-2 - still in doubt. The Lagoon, well, I have it and it's taped back into a usable shape. It won't be going anywhere :beyersmile:

Detailed listening notes:
  • Marillion - Bitter Suite and Heart Of Lothian. The bass is pretty heavy on this album and the Noire renders it rather boomy. LCD-2 really brings out the 1980s production and sound, which makes it sound quite dated, but positions the instruments quite well. Despite that, it's clearly better than the Noire.
  • Metal/punk: Jesu and Exploited both fare better on the Noire. Its V-shape doesn't bother in this case and suite the aggression. This is confirmed with other rock music (CPeX, Curve, Temple Of The Dog - though the latter is also really nice on the LCD-2).
  • Electronic music: depends. Fluffy Clouds by The Orb is unlistenable on the Noire. Hi hats are so incredibly sharp. The pads fix this to a certain extend, but the bass is also overwhelming. On the other hand, Hajnal by Venetian Snares is slightly better on the Noire. I actually prefer the rendering of the violin over the LCD-2, and the V-shape suits the aggressive electronics quite well. In complex industrial wall-of-sound tracks like Benevolence by Deutsch Nepal, the detailed imaging and accurate mids of the LCD-2 help disentangle what is going on, which is very pleasing. It also helps with tracks by Crim3s (Salt) and Crystal Castles (Alice Practice and Crimewave). The Noire has problems on these three tracks, rendering a mid-tone noise on Salt as upper mids, and congesting the bass on Alice Practice where the bass line disappears behind the beats. I checked Crystal Castles on the Lagoon as well, which gets congested just about anywhere in the FR and turns it into a mess. But still a fun mess!
  • Nick Cave (People Ain't No Good) and Tom Waits (Underground). Waits' voice has some treble because of the rasping timbre. Because of that, it's a bit aggressive on the Noire, which highlights this treble and surpresses the general mids timbre of the voice a bit. It's much more balanced on the LCD-2. With Nick Cave, the voice doesn't have this and sits nicely between the bass and the cymbals on the LCD-2. The Noire emphasises these two instruments, which jams Cave's voice claustrophobically between the two. It's a little bit ugly. LCD-2 is clearly better for this.
  • Post-rock (Sigur Rós, Radiohead): the LCD-2 is subtly better for positioning subtle background sounds and for the voices, but the Noire does quite well.
  • Classical: depends. I listened to less classical than usual today, but overall the LCD-2 is better. In Beethoven's 5th (Abbado, 1st movement), I expected the Noire to excel. However, because it's already powerful, the LCD-2 sounds better. The mix on this recording is has very beautiful mids and the LCD-2 renders it beautifully. In Beethoven's 7th (a personal favourite, Harnoncourt version, movement 3), the mix is a bit more laid back and the Noire actually brings out more character. In Sally Whitwell's beautifully musical rendering of Philip Glass' Etudes (listening to Etude 6), the LCD-2 brings out all the fun. The Noire renders it rather cold and some notes rather harsh. No thanks - there are plenty of sterile versions of the Etudes if I'd want that. I want Whitwells because of the fun way she brings them, and the Noire doesn't give me that.
Edit: all of this was listened to on my MacBook Pro 14", which has a built-in headphone amp. About half was uncompressed CD rips. The rest was high-quality MP3s, with a very small minority streamed from Apple Music (uncompressed if available).

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #4,766 of 6,418
Here are my thoughts on LCD-2CB vs Aeon2 Noire, with a short side trip to the Lagoon, after 3 hours of listening today.

Overall:
  • Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back has a very wide soundstage (closed back to closed back) with very good positioning of the instruments. It is overall reasonably neutral, with reasonably strong bass, a hump in the mid and a dip in the higher mid. That gives it a bit of a dated sound for some music when coming from the Noire, but also noticeable without A-B comparison. It's quite unwieldy in hand but still very comfortable on the head. If I were to keep it, I'd have to invest in a stand for the desk and IEMs for travel on top of the LCD-2 itself. It feels like a liability rather than an asset - I would use it despite itself, just for the great sound. It reminds me of a Chesterfield couch with brandy and cigar - a relic of the past, perhaps? 🥃
  • Aeon2 Noire: Soundstage is much more limited (ear to ear, max), though it seemed to improve for some sounds when I started using the pads. Still far behind the LCD-2. I would describe the FR as strongly V-shaped. Bass and treble are very pronounced, to the point where some music becomes unlistenable. The pads help in tuning the treble but not the bass. It's a very practical set of headphones, easy to handle and they collapse into a practical fistful. They can travel. They're thoroughly modern, like a Scandinavian couch in a black&white room with gin&tonic. Non-smoking, of course. :cocktail:
  • Compared to these seniors, the Lagoon is obviously cheaper, particularly in its build and fit. It hurts with glasses and feels cramped. The plastics also completely gave up on me and started disintegrating. Still, the sound is fairly good considering the price difference (4x cheaper). Bass doesn't extend so deeply, mids are congested and treble is not very present but the overall sound is pleasing. It's a third-hand worn down sofa, torn jeans, beer straight from the bottle, but boy, we're having fun! 🤘
This is causing me a bit of a problem because while I like a lot about the LCD-2, I don't like how unwieldy it is. I mean, if you ship your headphones with its own suitcase, perhaps you have a situation. The sound is also not really crisp in the upper mids, which is a shame, as it's overall really quite incredible. Soundstage, stereo imaging, detail in bass, rich mids, it's all so good. On the other hand - the Noire is absolutely brilliant as a physical object. But I really had to put it down mid-track on many occasions. The bright treble and heavy bass is just too fatiguing, even with the pads in some cases, and they cause the mids, which are already recessed, to not come out at all in some cases. Unfortunately, they are definitely going back. The LCD-2 - still in doubt. The Lagoon, well, I have it and it's taped back into a usable shape. It won't be going anywhere :beyersmile:

Detailed listening notes:
  • Marillion - Bitter Suite and Heart Of Lothian. The bass is pretty heavy on this album and the Noire renders it rather boomy. LCD-2 really brings out the 1980s production and sound, which makes it sound quite dated, but positions the instruments quite well. Despite that, it's clearly better than the Noire.
  • Metal/punk: Jesu and Exploited both fare better on the Noire. Its V-shape doesn't bother in this case and suite the aggression. This is confirmed with other rock music (CPeX, Curve, Temple Of The Dog - though the latter is also really nice on the LCD-2).
  • Electronic music: depends. Fluffy Clouds by The Orb is unlistenable on the Noire. Hi hats are so incredibly sharp. The pads fix this to a certain extend, but the bass is also overwhelming. On the other hand, Hajnal by Venetian Snares is slightly better on the Noire. I actually prefer the rendering of the violin over the LCD-2, and the V-shape suits the aggressive electronics quite well. In complex industrial wall-of-sound tracks like Benevolence by Deutsch Nepal, the detailed imaging and accurate mids of the LCD-2 help disentangle what is going on, which is very pleasing. It also helps with tracks by Crim3s (Salt) and Crystal Castles (Alice Practice and Crimewave). The Noire has problems on these three tracks, rendering a mid-tone noise on Salt as upper mids, and congesting the bass on Alice Practice where the bass line disappears behind the beats. I checked Crystal Castles on the Lagoon as well, which gets congested just about anywhere in the FR and turns it into a mess. But still a fun mess!
  • Nick Cave (People Ain't No Good) and Tom Waits (Underground). Waits' voice has some treble because of the rasping timbre. Because of that, it's a bit aggressive on the Noire, which highlights this treble and surpresses the general mids timbre of the voice a bit. It's much more balanced on the LCD-2. With Nick Cave, the voice doesn't have this and sits nicely between the bass and the cymbals on the LCD-2. The Noire emphasises these two instruments, which jams Cave's voice claustrophobically between the two. It's a little bit ugly. LCD-2 is clearly better for this.
  • Post-rock (Sigur Rós, Radiohead): the LCD-2 is subtly better for positioning subtle background sounds and for the voices, but the Noire does quite well.
  • Classical: depends. I listened to less classical than usual today, but overall the LCD-2 is better. In Beethoven's 5th (Abbado, 1st movement), I expected the Noire to excel. However, because it's already powerful, the LCD-2 sounds better. The mix on this recording is has very beautiful mids and the LCD-2 renders it beautifully. In Beethoven's 7th (a personal favourite, Harnoncourt version, movement 3), the mix is a bit more laid back and the Noire actually brings out more character. In Sally Whitwell's beautifully musical rendering of Philip Glass' Etudes (listening to Etude 6), the LCD-2 brings out all the fun. The Noire renders it rather cold and some notes rather harsh. No thanks - there are plenty of sterile versions of the Etudes if I'd want that. I want Whitwells because of the fun way she brings them, and the Noire doesn't give me that.
Edit: all of this was listened to on my MacBook Pro 14", which has a built-in headphone amp. About half was uncompressed CD rips. The rest was high-quality MP3s, with a very small minority streamed from Apple Music (uncompressed if available).
Thanks for sharing this! V interesting. Can you expand on what you mean by the LCD 2 CB sounding “dated”?

Jul 28, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #4,767 of 6,418
Thanks for sharing this! V interesting. Can you expand on what you mean by the LCD 2 CB sounding “dated”?
Yes, I can! :wink: The upper mids and lower treble are a bit recessed. When listening to certain music (see Marillion), it really brings me back to the 80s, which is not a very good thing as music has moved on. It's particularly disconcerting when moving between headphones, of course. The Noire with its V-shape has a very pronounced treble. Compare that to the recession just a bit lower than that in the LCD-2 and it's very noticeable in a lack of punch in that area.

In the meantime, I've applied a minor drop in EQ in the 3K-6K region and minor boost in 12K-14K and for the few things I've heard so far, the LCD-2 really seems to benefit from it. Marillion is still dragged down by the 1980s mix, but it has gained a bit of bite. It's a well known fact that these headphones react well to EQing, and I can only confirm it. I've not nailed it entirely yet but it's definitely improving.

In the meantime, I listened to the above mentioned recording of Beethoven's 7th again on both and sadly, the Noire has been packed up to return it. It's just not got the sound signature that I want.

Jul 29, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #4,769 of 6,418

[...]
Wait wait wait. Are you sure you didn't actually swap the Audeze and Noire? I just can't comprehend your results otherwise. Also are you sure you got the original Aeon Noire pads and no 3rd party earpads instead (e.g. Dekoni)? I don't use the white filters inside the Noires and it sounds very balanced. Ok to be honest I eq them, but even without eq it's very relaxing.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #4,770 of 6,418

Users who are viewing this thread

Back