The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Feb 2, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #3,842 of 6,385
Someone have advice for under 1000$?
Right now i think about Audeze LCD XC or Aeon 2 closed
Are there other options?
Yes… like Denon D7200 or Beyerdynamic T5 etc.
Maybe you can tell us a bit about your priorities and taste in music and sound signatures, then more specific recommendations should be easier.

Feb 2, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #3,843 of 6,385
Yes… like Denon D7200 or Beyerdynamic T5 etc.
Maybe you can tell us a bit about your priorities and taste in music and sound signatures, then more specific recommendations should be easier.
Right now i own a Sennheiser HD25 and HD800. Before i had Hifiman Edition X, Oppo PM3, Aeon Flow Closed and Grado RS1.
On one side i love the HD800 but i can not hear very long because it is stressful after some time for me. Tried Oratory and Crinacle settings but it helps not very much.
I love the sound from the Oppo PM3 and Aeon Flow Closed but missing some details and space with them.
So i hope to find the right settings for my HD800 as my open headphone and now i am looking for a closed one...

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #3,844 of 6,385
Right now i own a Sennheiser HD25 and HD800. Before i had Hifiman Edition X, Oppo PM3, Aeon Flow Closed and Grado RS1.
On one side i love the HD800 but i can not hear very long because it is stressful after some time for me. Tried Oratory and Crinacle settings but it helps not very much.
I love the sound from the Oppo PM3 and Aeon Flow Closed but missing some details and space with them.
So i hope to find the right settings for my HD800 as my open headphone and now i am looking for a closed one...
As some here have suggested I would try looking at the T5s. I have the T1 Gen 2 and the HD800 and the T1 has a lot of the characteristics of the HD800 (detail and large soundstage) but is not anywhere near as fatiguing to my ears.

Feb 2, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #3,845 of 6,385
Another option you might want to look at is the ZMF Eikon. It has very good detail and one of the best soundstages of all the closed phones. You can typically find them used right at $1000.

Feb 2, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #3,846 of 6,385
As some here have suggested I would try looking at the T5s. I have the T1 Gen 2 and the HD800 and the T1 has a lot of the characteristics of the HD800 (detail and large soundstage) but is not anywhere near as fatiguing to my ears.
The third gen T1/T5 seem to be a lot darker as many said… so I’m not sure they fit in with an HD800 — though I’d most probably prefer them :wink:
T5 gen 2 might work though

Feb 2, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #3,848 of 6,385
Hm… consensus… I’ve heard that one before. Something around putting the weapons down and let’s all get a drink together or was it?

Actually I think this forum would be a static website with a list of product recommendations if there was anything like consensus on questions like this one :wink:

If you value details and soundstage I’d suggest the Austrian Audio Hi-X60 as a good neutral closed back with excellent comfort. You might also want to try the Beyerdynamic DT700 for a more lively sound that’s still quite spacious for a closed back.
Yeah haha "consensus" wasn't the right word actually. I think I just needed some guidence. I know 500 is far from ideal but its my range right now, Although I must say I may wait a little longer and aim at the AEON Noire. Are those the best around $850?

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #3,849 of 6,385
The third gen T1/T5 seem to be a lot darker as many said… so I’m not sure they fit in with an HD800 — though I’d most probably prefer them :wink:
T5 gen 2 might work though
Yeah haven't tried the 3rd Gen T1 and T5 myself. One of the big appeals of the T1 Gen 2 (and Gen 1) to me is the 600 ohm impedance. I like to use tube amps so the 1st and 2nd Gen T1/T5s are a much better fit for me. I have been thinking about trying the T5 Gen 3 though as a portable option since it should be easily driven from my LG smart phone(s).

Feb 2, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #3,850 of 6,385
Yeah haha "consensus" wasn't the right word actually. I think I just needed some guidence. I know 500 is far from ideal but its my range right now, Although I must say I may wait a little longer and aim at the AEON Noire. Are those the best around $850?
Personally I’m not into planars, their bass presentation doesn’t fit my taste too well. Otherwise I’ve heard good things about the Noir.

I think you can find excellent headphones around the 500,- mark, which is a sweetsop’s for me, offering many different models for a wide range of tastes and very good quality for your money. I don’t think it’s necessary to spend much more than that…

I did not want to make fun of your choice of words, it was just such a stark contrast to the discussions on here :wink:

Feb 2, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #3,851 of 6,385
Personally I’m not into planars, their bass presentation doesn’t fit my taste too well. Otherwise I’ve heard good things about the Noir.

I think you can find excellent headphones around the 500,- mark, which is a sweetsop’s for me, offering many different models for a wide range of tastes and very good quality for your money. I don’t think it’s necessary to spend much more than that…

I did not want to make fun of your choice of words, it was just such a stark contrast to the discussions on here :wink:
Thank you. No worries, at all. It was amusing reading reactions haha. Yeah, I think 500 would be my ideal sweetspot. I personally love the sound of my ATH A900X and would love something along those lines but better, of course. Filmscores (from classic sounding John Williams to a much modern Hans Zimmer) are my main music genere of preference.

Feb 2, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #3,852 of 6,385
You don't find the right settings for a pair of HD 800s, you find the right music :wink:

Yeah, I think 500 would be my ideal sweetspot. I personally love the sound of my ATH A900X and would love something along those lines but better, of course. Filmscores (from classic sounding John Williams to a much modern Hans Zimmer) are my main music genere of preference.
I'm thinking DT1770.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #3,853 of 6,385
You don't find the right settings for a pair of HD 800s, you find the right music :wink:

I'm thinking DT1770.
Love to watch movies, series and video games with HD800.
Music it is hard to hear a full album for me, no matter which music :frowning2:
There are so many expensive tube amps and many ppl say, you need this to bring them to shine. But never had the chance to hear such amps. Hope i find a way to love these headphone...

Feb 2, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #3,854 of 6,385
Love to watch movies, series and video games with HD800.
Music it is hard to hear a full album for me, no matter which music :frowning2:
There are so many expensive tube amps and many ppl say, you need this to bring them to shine. But never had the chance to hear such amps. Hope i find a way to love these headphone...
Unless you listen to mostly orchestral or big bands, the 800s are not going to be enjoyable for most people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back