The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jan 7, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #3,406 of 6,351
So, I'm looking for a closed back in the 1000-1500 ish range, I listen to a real mix from blues, jazz, classical, classic rock to rap. Mainly for use at home, current rig is a rega RP6 and Ares 2 feeding a bottlehead mainline, though I would consider maybe swapping out the mainline for more power.

I've recently tried out the following with mixed feelings.

Denon AH-D9200 - great comfort, nice bass, treble too hot for me, bordering on sibilant on some small jazz recordings, hi hats, vocals etc. Felt like the mids were recessed but this could have been the dominant treble.

Fostex TH900 - great fun but the bass is a bit overpowering/distracting.

LCD-XC - really enjoyed these, pretty heavy and not the most comfortable, not sure how they'll play with the mainline.

Focal Celeste - nice but a bit bland compared to the fun of the XCs, felt a bit underwhelming when compared back to back.

Randomly the LSA HP-2 (gjallahorn clone) - interesting but had a very artificial sound and some kind of weird forced reverb on the mids in particular.

Not looking for something to walk around wearing but ideally I wouldn't need to lug a giant stack around if I wanted to move rooms of take them to the office. I have an old AK240 and a mojo but have been eyeing up the ifi signature.

Anyway, looking for some suggestions from you fine folk. Best bits from the XC/9200 were the bass, detail and separation so looking for more of that really. My main can for a while has been the ether flow open but I'm finding it very lacking in bass and just not very fun to listen to anymore.
You could try the Focal Radiance. It's a bit more exciting than the Celestee, with a vigorous bass presentation, coupled with a sparkier treble section.

You could also take a gander at the ZMF Eikon. It lows are almost as rich and textured as that on the AH-D9200, but it has slightly less energy and prominence in its treble. Thus, if you think the highs on the Denon are a little too strident for comfort, the Eikon would be a welcome change.

Jan 7, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #3,407 of 6,351
A1000z is amazing. Came on new year days, it just needs a thick ear pads to become super comfy. Sounded clean, clear, very good detail, little bit bump in mid bass. Soundstage and separation are so great. My first Ath headphone :), prefer A1000z over previous HD600

Attachments

• PXL_20220107_092255665.jpg
    PXL_20220107_092255665.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220107_092320278.jpg
    PXL_20220107_092320278.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 7, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #3,408 of 6,351
You think of trying the Noire?

It's actually under your budget...but since I didn't see the words 'bass slam' in your list of desireable traits, I think you'd like it. It has lots of nice, but natural bass. Portable form factor, but does benefit from a bit of juice. I use Element II and more than enough juice there. Would be enjoyable even from a dongle most likely....straight from a phone not always quite enough to make it.

Might be you want something a lot diferent than your Ethers...which I haven't tried, so could be a dynamic driver on the horizon.
Interesting suggestion, I have been keeping an eye out for somewhere to demo them (in London) but haven't found anywhere yet, definitely on the list.

That's a few votes for the eikon, I did briefly listen to them at canjam a few years ago but it probably wasn't the best setting and was the day I actually bought the ether flow opens so might have been a bit distracted.

Has anyone had any success trying the lighten the weight of the LCD-XC? Does the carbon headband make much of a difference for example?

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #3,409 of 6,351
Interesting suggestion, I have been keeping an eye out for somewhere to demo them (in London) but haven't found anywhere yet, definitely on the list.

That's a few votes for the eikon, I did briefly listen to them at canjam a few years ago but it probably wasn't the best setting and was the day I actually bought the ether flow opens so might have been a bit distracted.

Has anyone had any success trying the lighten the weight of the LCD-XC? Does the carbon headband make much of a difference for example?
IMO, of all the headphones that have been discussed, the Eikon comes closest to the AH-D9200 in terms of signature, albeit one that's a little less bright and harsh. Thus, if you are looking for something that's a spiritual cousin to the Denon, the Eikon should be a great fit.

I haven't changed the headband on the LCD-XC, or any other Audeze, for that matter. With that being said, the carbon-fiber headband is rather light, yet firm. I can't tell if it improves the comfort levels on the LCD-XC, since my only experience with this headband has been through my various auditions with the LCD-4. In any case, I haven't had a major issue with my Audeze headphones (LCD-XC and LCD-2 Closed Back) - they are heavy, but I have grown accustomed to their bulk/mass, so they don't really pose too much of an issue; at least, not one that necessitates the swapping of headbands. Thankfully so, since Audeze sells them for $200!

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #3,410 of 6,351
IMO, of all the headphones that have been discussed, the Eikon comes closest to the AH-D9200 in terms of signature, albeit one that's a little less bright and harsh. Thus, if you are looking for something that's a spiritual cousin to the Denon, the Eikon should be a great fit.

I haven't changed the headband on the LCD-XC, or any other Audeze, for that matter. With that being said, the carbon-fiber headband is rather light, yet firm. I can't tell if it improves the comfort levels on the LCD-XC, since my only experience with this headband has been through my various auditions with the LCD-4. In any case, I haven't had a major issue with my Audeze headphones (LCD-XC and LCD-2 Closed Back) - they are heavy, but I have grown accustomed to their bulk/mass, so they don't really pose too much of an issue; at least, not one that necessitates the swapping of headbands. Thankfully so, since Audeze sells them for $200!
I'm not wedded to the D9200, if anything I actually preferred the XCs, it was purely the weight and size that is making me hesitate. Well that and also much preferring the wood finish which seems harder to come by these days.

Can I ask what you drive your XCs with? How would you compare them to the Eikon?

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #3,411 of 6,351
A1000z is amazing. Came on new year days, it just needs a thick ear pads to become super comfy. Sounded clean, clear, very good detail, little bit bump in mid bass. Soundstage and separation are so great. My first Ath headphone :), prefer A1000z over previous HD600
It's been ages since I've heard the ATH-A1000Z - I only auditioned it once, many, many moons ago! My only distinct memory of that encounter was the lack of low-end presence on the headphone. I was a really huge basshead back then, so that likely shaped the less-than-positive experience.

I'm glad that you're enjoying the headphone, though. :)

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #3,412 of 6,351

I changed the strap on the XC for comfort. I recently linked it in the XC thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-lcd-xc.691151/page-271#post-16740233

Jan 7, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #3,413 of 6,351
How do you find the AEON 2 Noire?

Sound aside, don't they feel.. just right on the head? One thing Dan Clark has done really well with his headphones is comfort. I have yet to audition a Dan Clark / MrSpeakers product that didn't sit well with me, comfort wise.

Congrats on your purchases! Starting off the new year with a bang, I see. :wink:

They are supposed to be here Saturday, so hopefully will have some time over the weekend to get some impressions. I will keep you updated.

Jan 7, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #3,414 of 6,351
Hello everyone, I kinda need your advices and suggestions for my next blind buy to narrow my choices because I'm pretty lost :weary:

I started reading hundreds of posts looking for my future portable closed-back headphones for a +/- 750€ budget (that I could find in France).
The portable feature is important for me as I do not want to look like an alien with big ear cups, and I expect good isolation (public transport, work office sessions).

Currently, I listen to most of my music through an iBasso DX160 (Spotify, because apparently I can't pick any differences with FLAC files...) and the Fibae 7 (which I love).
I'm searching for more "presence", imaging that we can expect from headphones (although closed) and I want to step-up from my Meze Neo.

I listen to many genres, from metal to rap, EDM to pop-rock.

I like my gear to be punchy, non-fatiguing yet detailed, with a good kick and natural vocals. I'm also sibilance sensitive.
Focal Elear and Fibae 7 are the type of signature I like.

Several references have been added to my list :
  • Audeze Sine (top of my list if tweaked with custom pads)
  • Shure 1540
  • Aeon Closed X
  • Denon ah-d7200 / D9200
  • Audio Technica ATH-WP900
  • Kennerton Magni...
What are your thoughts?

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #3,415 of 6,351
Whilst I've not heard them personally, the DCA Aeon 2 Noire sound like they might fit the bill, or at the very least one to put in the running. They're generally praised for their decent isolation (and sound quality).

As an owner of the SRH1540s for about 5 years now I've enjoyed them a lot and they work well with pretty much all music, so would happily give them a recommend, but the Noire is probably a few notches up in terms of out and out sound quality.

If you're concerned about aesthetics you should probably just settle for the Jecklin Floats. You'll blend right in. Promise.

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #3,417 of 6,351
Hello everyone, I kinda need your advices and suggestions for my next blind buy to narrow my choices because I'm pretty lost :weary:

I started reading hundreds of posts looking for my future portable closed-back headphones for a +/- 750€ budget (that I could find in France).
The portable feature is important for me as I do not want to look like an alien with big ear cups, and I expect good isolation (public transport, work office sessions).

Currently, I listen to most of my music through an iBasso DX160 (Spotify, because apparently I can't pick any differences with FLAC files...) and the Fibae 7 (which I love).
I'm searching for more "presence", imaging that we can expect from headphones (although closed) and I want to step-up from my Meze Neo.

I like my gear to be punchy, non-fatiguing yet detailed, with a good kick and natural vocals. I'm also sibilance sensitive.

• Shure 1540
  • Aeon Closed X
  • Denon ah-d7200 / D9200
  • Kennerton Magni...
What are your thoughts?
Considered the Focal Elegia?

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #3,418 of 6,351

• Shure 1540
  • Aeon Closed X
  • Denon ah-d7200 / D9200
  • Kennerton Magni...
What are your thoughts?
Used Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH 50 or 50 JM

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #3,419 of 6,351
Obviously, but considering I own the Elear and they're pretty similar, I wouldn't go out with them.

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #3,420 of 6,351
Another (a bit more expensive, but right at the top of your budget) option would be the Focal Radiance. It’s a phenomenal headphone, and could even be an end-game solution for you.

I own the Elear and love it (listening to the Shure SRH-1540 right now), and the Radiance is like a somewhat warmer closed version with more detail and amazing comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back