The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Dec 25, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #3,136 of 6,375
The Elegia actually have a surprising soundstage for closed back. But I wouldn't call it immense. Or any closed back really. If you want isolation, you're probably sacrificing soundstage to some degree.

At the price point, I just can't recommend enough the Elegia with a pad swap. I'm still blown away by the quality for the price. I do consider them semi-open though because they leak sound...but fortunately don't let a lot in at all.
For me, the soundstage from high end closed backs has been enough, I've been through the, ATH-A900x, Shure SRH1540, the Aeon Flow Closed 1.0, and now the LCD-2C closed, and they offer similar soundstages ime, I'm just looking for something similar, with very substantial isolation, and the elegias seem like a great candidate so far
I have six pairs of closed backs and the Elegia's have the best isolation of the bunch. That is from the inside out. They are also the cheapest closed backs that I own ($379.00 at Adorama).

I have nicer, but they are more expensive. My very best are my LSA HP-2's, which I got on sale for $799.00. It is a much more precise, articulate bass though.

If you just want the Boom, the Cascades are pretty impressive.
Seems like the Elegias are well built, isolation wise! But I'm still on the fence between them and the Aeons RT/X, because the latter have also received praise for its fit resulting in great isolation. However, so far, only Beyer actually states on paper the amount of decibel isolation it offers, hmm...

Dec 25, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #3,138 of 6,375
For me, the soundstage from high end closed backs has been enough, I've been through the, ATH-A900x, Shure SRH1540, the Aeon Flow Closed 1.0, and now the LCD-2C closed, and they offer similar soundstages ime, I'm just looking for something similar, with very substantial isolation, and the elegias seem like a great candidate so far

Seems like the Elegias are well built, isolation wise! But I'm still on the fence between them and the Aeons RT/X, because the latter have also received praise for its fit resulting in great isolation. However, so far, only Beyer actually states on paper the amount of decibel isolation it offers, hmm...
The Elegia is not my favourite sound wise, but I think it has Great isolation.

It is more mids to treble whereas the Beyer T5's are more bass to mids.

The most open closed backs that I have ever heard are the LSA HP-2's, but they are obviously more expensive and should be more impressive.

Dec 25, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #3,139 of 6,375
The Elegia is not my favourite sound wise, but I think it has Great isolation.

It is more mids to treble whereas the Beyer T5's are more bass to mids.

The most open closed backs that I have ever heard are the LSA HP-2's, but they are obviously more expensive and should be more impressive.
the LSA HP-2 are out of my budget atm, and they might sound great, but I've yet to read how good they are at blocking noise from outside

Dec 25, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #3,140 of 6,375
The LSA's are good, but not great at isolation. I found the T5's good, but very dark. I find the Elegia's better at isolation and more open/airy.

I have never tried Aeon 2's because I read about the foam rolling inside the pads, the cable is complicated and I assume expensive to improve and I am not a fan of glue on earpads. I have heard also that they need a good amount of juice to sound right, much like the Argons. Which means that, like the Argons, they are somewhat useless for mobile use, unless you have another system for work and don't use them on the move.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #3,141 of 6,375
Unscientific measure? I just got a sound meter app on my phone and played with the fans on my PC to get to different dB levels.

My PC is about two arms lengths away from me and between it and a mini fridge in the hallway outside my room here (20ft/6m or so away) my phone was reading about 28-30 dB. I can hear both without headphones on of course. It's not too loud, it's like whisper noises, background noises...Fans.

I can't hear either with the Elegias on my head playing no music at all.

I turned up the two exhaust fans on the PC up from their 500rpm to like 1500rpm and I was at about 40-44 dB somewhere in there. I can hear the fans through the Elegias now. Not terribly loud, but I could hear the fans. So I took it down incrementally and found that if I listened very carefully I can hear the fans starting at about 34 or 35 dB. I actually don't usually have both fans running at 500rpm normally when I'm not doing much on my computer. So the Elegias effectively isolate everything I normally have going on around me.

If I was gaming, I'd for sure hear the fans because now the GPU fan would also be on and I bet the noise level would be much higher (I haven't measured actually). I have actually used the Elegia while gaming. I like listening to the music in Forza Horizon playing that to chill out late at night. Or I'll play my own music while driving around. I definitely don't hear the computer fans or GPU fan while music playing :) though surely it must have some sort of affect since if I wasn't playing music I now know I would for sure hear the fans through the headphones.

Still, I would consider Elegia isolation to be good.

I realized, I do have the NightOwls as well. So I just did the same test with them. I can hear the fans at 30 dB and I'm going to say maybe not at 28 dB or only if I listen very hard.

I'm using the protein leather pads on the NightOwls and the Dekoni LTD Stellia Pads on the Elegias.

I can hear myself typing (Apple magic keyboard, those thin keys) with the NightOwls and for most keystrokes not at all with the Elgias. I have to press a bit harder and only a stray keystroke or two can I hear with the Elegias if I'm not and again I have to listen carefully. Keystrokes are ranging from 30-34 dB so that makes sense and fits with the level the fans were making when I first was able to start detecting sound with the Elegias.

I have very good hearing too btw (but I'm good at tuning things out). The kind that I say "someone's here" and my wife thinks I'm nuts until the door bell rings a few seconds later. What I hear most when I put the headphones on without music playing is the headphone cable, my hair against the earpads, and my own heartbeat. So it takes about 34 dB of noise or more before that outside noise is noticeable and overtakes that ambient noise inside the headphones.

So for what that very unscientific test is worth...There ya have it. Elegia are absolutely more isolating than the NightOwls. By a little.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #3,142 of 6,375
Unscientific measure? I just got a sound meter app on my phone and played with the fans on my PC to get to different dB levels.

My PC is about two arms lengths away from me and between it and a mini fridge in the hallway outside my room here (20ft/6m or so away) my phone was reading about 28-30 dB. I can hear both without headphones on of course. It's not too loud, it's like whisper noises, background noises...Fans.

I turned up the two exhaust fans on the PC up from their 500rpm to like 1500rpm and I was at about 40-44 dB somewhere in there. I can hear the fans through the Elegias now. Not terribly loud, but I could hear the fans. So I took it down incrementally and found that if I listened very carefully I can hear the fans starting at about 34 or 35 dB. I actually don't usually have both fans running at 500rpm normally when I'm not doing much on my computer. So the Elegias effectively isolate everything I normally have going on around me.

If I was gaming, I'd for sure hear the fans because now the GPU fan would also be on and I bet the noise level would be much higher (I haven't measured actually). I have actually used the Elegia while gaming. I like listening to the music in Forza Horizon playing that to chill out late at night. Or I'll play my own music while driving around. I definitely don't hear the computer fans or GPU fan while music playing :) though surely it must have some sort of affect since if I wasn't playing music I now know I would for sure hear the fans through the headphones.

I realized, I do have the NightOwls as well. So I just did the same test with them. I can hear the fans at 30 dB and I'm going to say maybe not at 28 dB or only if I listen very hard.

I'm using the protein leather pads on the NightOwls and the Dekoni LTD Stellia Pads on the Elegias.

I can hear myself typing (Apple magic keyboard, those thin keys) with the NightOwls and for most keystrokes not at all with the Elgias. I have to press a bit harder and only a stray keystroke or two can I hear with the Elegias if I'm not and again I have to listen carefully. Keystrokes are ranging from 30-34 dB so that makes sense and fits with the level the fans were making when I first was able to start detecting sound with the Elegias.

I have very good hearing too btw (but I'm good at tuning things out). The kind that I say "someone's here" and my wife thinks I'm nuts until the door bell rings a few seconds later. What I hear most when I put the headphones on without music playing is the headphone cable, my hair against the earpads, and my own heartbeat. So it takes about 34 dB of noise or more before that outside noise is noticeable and overtakes that ambient noise inside the headphones.

So for what that very unscientific test is worth...There ya have it. Elegia are absolutely more isolating than the NightOwls. By a little.
Wow, that's excellent info for my ears! I am deeply grateful for the insights you are providing, such comradery is very scarce these days...

But yeah, another score for the Elegias! certainly the number one contender at this point. I'm just left wishing someone could maybe provide similar info for the Neumann NDH 20s or a similar contender.

Dec 25, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #3,143 of 6,375
thanks for the input, I have not heard the Rognir, just based on what I read. I like fuller sound, especially the mid and bass, with good extension and stage. I should wait a few more days, hopefully to get some early impressions. I am still trying to find out how heavy are the 2 new kennerton cans.
To my ears, the Rognir doesn't have a full-bodied sound; it is very clean and treads closer to the leaner side of things. If you like your mids and bass thick and well-rounded, the Rognir might not be the right choice. That's also why I passed on the Rognir - my wallet thanks me - I, too, prefer a timbre that's richer and weightier. With that being said, for anyone who's happy with a leaner tone, but absolutely prizes technical performance, go for the Kennerton flagship; I doubt that it'll ever disappoint you.

In that sense, despite the free gift (of the Gjallarhorn GH 40), I'm very much on the fence, with regard to the Rognir Dynamic. If it shares a similar tuning to the O.G. Rognir, but has slightly worse technical performance, it won't be my cup of tea.

Dec 25, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #3,145 of 6,375

That was very helpful, my friend. It may not be absolutely scientific, but as far as anecdotes go, they are definitely representative of the experiences that most of us encounter on a daily basis. For example, if I'm not doing any typing, in my room, the loudest sounds are the fans in my freaking PC - including my GPU, I have 10 in them, so they are fairly noisy. The air-con takes a distant second; it's relatively quiet. Thus, any headphone that helps to attenuate the noise from my PC, even without music playing, is definitely welcome.

Thanks for your post! :)

Dec 25, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #3,147 of 6,375
To my ears, the Rognir doesn't have a full-bodied sound; it is very clean and treads closer to the leaner side of things. If you like your mids and bass thick and well-rounded, the Rognir might not be the right choice. That's also why I passed on the Rognir - my wallet thanks me - I, too, prefer a timbre that's richer and weightier. With that being said, for anyone who's happy with a leaner tone, but absolutely prizes technical performance, go for the Kennerton flagship; I doubt that it'll ever disappoint you.

In that sense, despite the free gift (of the Gjallarhorn GH 40), I'm very much on the fence, with regard to the Rognir Dynamic. If it shares a similar tuning to the O.G. Rognir, but has slightly worse technical performance, it won't be my cup of tea.
Thats an interesting offer for sure... but applying the old "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't" I overcame the short temptation rather quickly: the Kennerton design doesn't appeal to me -- and yes, this is important to me: One might say I don't see a headphone I have on my head anyway. But given my still too high number of headphones I *do* see them regularly since I can at most wear one at a time, hiding it away :wink:

Plus these remarks on the possible sound signature makes the Rognir even less tempting to me. So I'd spent 1,4, get two headphones instead of one (this counts as kind of a disadvantage with me) of which only the free one might possibly appeal... so I thought about getting the Gjallarhorn 40 on itself (which is just about 800,-). But I don't buy into this horn concept... this is not a real horn that could possibly work at low frequencies given its mini dimensions. I fully understand the JM modifications with damping on the flat surfaces of that horn stub: I'd expect reflexions there, and the smaller version might exhibit that as well.

From a design standpoint it looks OK, but not tempting enough for a blind buy. And dishing them out as a present together with a 1400,- headphone sounds somehow suspicious to me... 800,- is not a rounding error in this case, not even a 20% rebate. Sorry, but it makes me question their motives. I think I'll pass.

Dec 25, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #3,148 of 6,375
Okay so I haven't read the ENTIRE thread but I'm throwing a bit of a hail mary pass here. I'm on the lookout for a pair that will give a decently warm/energetic sound under $500 that can keep up with metal while not losing impact. I'm not a stickler for technicality, I'm pretty forgiving on soundstage. My Grado Hemps are glorious but I need something for when I have the AC running in the summer or otherwise need noise isolation.

Current frontrunners are the DT 700 Pro X, Sony MDR-1AM2, Monolith M1060C, possibly the 1More Triple?

Dec 25, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #3,149 of 6,375
That was very helpful, my friend. It may not be absolutely scientific, but as far as anecdotes go, they are definitely representative of the experiences that most of us encounter on a daily basis. For example, if I'm not doing any typing, in my room, the loudest sounds are the fans in my freaking PC - including my GPU, I have 10 in them, so they are fairly noisy. The air-con takes a distant second; it's relatively quiet. Thus, any headphone that helps to attenuate the noise from my PC, even without music playing, is definitely welcome.

Thanks for your post! :)
I switched cases from a Fractal Design mid tower (define mini s I think it was, could only fit mATX) to an NZXT which was just a little bit larger. It made a HUGE difference in cooling I couldn't believe it.

I have an AIO cooler and didn't mention those two additional fans but they're pretty quiet to be honest. I added one additional exhaust fan when I changed cases. So that's 4 main case fans basically...but during web browsing or work, I can turn off one or both of the exhaust fans to be honest. GPU fan isn't running and the PSU fan almost never runs unless I turn it on while gaming.

10 fans is interesting 😃 no idea what you got going on, but I will say that you may be surprised by how much a different computer case can affect the cooling and therefore sound.

Dec 25, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #3,150 of 6,375
Okay so I haven't read the ENTIRE thread but I'm throwing a bit of a hail mary pass here. I'm on the lookout for a pair that will give a decently warm/energetic sound under $500 that can keep up with metal while not losing impact. I'm not a stickler for technicality, I'm pretty forgiving on soundstage. My Grado Hemps are glorious but I need something for when I have the AC running in the summer or otherwise need noise isolation.

Current frontrunners are the DT 700 Pro X, Sony MDR-1AM2, Monolith M1060C, possibly the 1More Triple?

My vote would go to the DT700, which isolates well and has a very energetic sound. The mdr1a was too laid back for my taste, the other two I don’t know personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back