The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Dec 21, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #3,106 of 6,418
AH-D9200-LIRIC.jpg

So, I've pitted these 2 headphones against each other. Both are priced within the same bracket and/or tier - one's a cult favorite (admittedly), and the other, the new kid on the (closed) block.

Let's see how they fare against each other.

Notes
  • Both headphones were driven straight out of my Chord Hugo TT 2 (with Hugo M Scaler).
  • I've used a combination of tracks, but they are mostly EDM (75% Dance Music, 25% Pop and Rock).
Bass
Of course, we have to start with the region of the frequency spectrum that I am most invested in, the lows. The AH-D9200 has a greater mid-bass punch that is rather palpable, in comparison to the LIRIC. There is certainly greater impact and slam. Sub-bass extension is, again, brilliant on the Denon - the sub-bass rumble reaches deep into the nether regions (I know, this sounds weird, bear with me).

On the other hand, the LIRIC has a cleaner bass profile. In fact, the lows are very well sculpted, with bands of bass pockets distinctly separate from each other. It fares better in this department than the Denon, IMO. Unlike the AH-D9200, the LIRIC has less bloom in the lower registers, resulting in a region that has slightly better definition.

Ultimately, the lows on the Denon have better texture and character, thanks to a greater bass shelf that invokes a sense of prominence and grandeur. Conversely, the LIRIC offers a well-cast low-end section that retains a decent touch of rumble and slam; it's just not as inviting as the Denon in this regard.

Midrange
The mids on the AH-D9200 are well balanced, with good representation throughout. Vocals and instruments are reproduced with a small degree of luscious and verdant authority. Moreover, the Denon flagship appears to add a touch of emotive expression to voices - they sound slightly fuller and richer.

The LIRIC's midrange, like its bass, is slightly cleaner and leaner. Its mids aren't as abundantly expressive as those on the AH-D9200, but it readily trades some of that sweet texture for slightly-better resolution, resulting in better-defined vocals and instruments.

It's very difficult to decide between these 2 headphones, to be honest. When I was going back-and-forth between my favorite Pop and Rock songs, some of them sounded better on the Denon, whilst others sounded better with the Meze. Curiously, I think the LIRIC does better with male vocals, whilst the AH-D9200 does slightly better on female ones; this preference is not set in stone, however.

With that being said, what's obvious, though, is how they vary in the way vocals are presented - the LIRIC is leaner with slightly better definition; the AH-D9200 is warmer, slightly thicker, and fuller.

Treble
The AH-D9200 is easily the brighter headphone of the 2. There is an air of prominence, energy, and air about its highs. If you want crisp and detailed treble, the AH-D9200 is the better choice; you'll hear a healthy blend of sparkle, grain, and extension. However, the Denon's highs are slightly hot and peaky at the worst of times - this may be an undesirable characteristic for those seeking a headphone that's free of sibilance or sharp highs.

In contrast, the LIRIC's higher registers are decidedly free of unwanted peaks. The treble is well controlled and represented, providing adequate sparkle and sizzle without dialing the treble intensity to 11. However, it is also less energetic and prominent in the overall sense. Thus, like the caveat that I've provided for the AH-D9200's treble, the converse holds true - if you are looking for a brighter headphone, the LIRIC may not be the right choice.

In summary, the Denon is brighter, and the LIRIC is.. less bright? It's an easy conclusion to reach, yes, but there are varying nuances that also separate the 2. The AH-D9200 has slightly better clarity overall, and has slightly better treble extension. The LIRIC has very good reach into the highest regions, too, but offers a modestly-muted presentation that results in a small loss in detail.

Technicalities
Both of these headphones are very good at resolving detail; clarity is certainly one of their fortes. Moreover, the Denon and the Meze passed the layering and instrument separation tests. It was a struggle to separate the 2 in the technical front.

However, if I had to differentiate between the 2, I'd say that the Meze is a tad better at resolving the finest bits of detail and nuances. The Denon usually comes undone during crowded passages, where it struggles to isolate myriad voices and instruments from each other. The LIRIC achieves this objective in a more facile manner.

Staging & Imaging
The Denon has a smaller stage in all dimensions; this was fairly obvious from the get-go. The LIRIC quashes its rival in this aspect, providing a noticeably wider and deeper stage.

Thankfully, the AH-D9200 redeems itself by providing excellent imaging; the LIRIC matches it in this department, though.

Comfort
There is no contest here. The AH-D9200 feels more cramped, has a stronger clamp, and comes with a headband that is less comfortable on my head than the LIRIC. Moreover, the pads are rather small for a full-sized headphone; they are quite comfortable on my ears, thankfully.

In comparison, the LIRIC feels lighter on my head, even though it isn't - 391g VS 375g. This is probably due to a combination of larger, plusher pads, a better weight-distribution design, and a headband system that is a lot more comfortable to use.

If you're listening to music for extended periods - and I assume you should be, right? - the LIRIC is the definite choice, at least within the topic of comfort. In fact, I have yet to try a Meze headphone that fails to impress in this crucial aspect, but that is a topic for another day.

Final Thoughts
The LIRIC impressed me during my first audition, and has continued to delight ever since. Pitting it against the Denon was quite the treat; many of you know that I love the AH-D9200 to bits. Thus, I approached this comparison with an open mind - I sought to discover if the LIRIC could dethrone the Denon from its spot.

Did it succeed? Well.. not exactly.

The LIRIC is certainly leaner in tone, with a slight edge in resolution, a cleaner and better-defined bass section, and a less-prominent treble section. Ergo, it doesn't sound very much alike the Denon at all. Thus, as a standalone headphone, it is a great choice for any audiophile seeking a closed-back solution for general use.

However, for the music that I listen to (EDM, mostly), the Denon still performs on a higher level. With that being said, as an all-rounder, the LIRIC is a brilliant option; in fact, if you prefer a headphone that is less boosted in the bass and the treble, the Meze will probably fit your tastes better.

In parting, whatever choice you make, you can't go wrong with either headphone, IMO.
Ty for your comprasion.

Dec 21, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #3,107 of 6,418
The good folks at the Kennerton thread have indicated that there's a new Rognir out, this time dynamic and accessibly priced.

https://kennerton.org/category/headphones/rognir-dynamic/
1640103868998.png

Oooh, now this is a surprising twist. I've always been a bigger fan of dynamic drivers, so a dynamic-based Rognir is a mighty intriguing proposition, indeed.

This will be one to watch out for in 2022. Meanwhile, I'll start working on getting the wife's approval. :eyes:

Dec 21, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #3,108 of 6,418
You always hit the nail... These days I was thinking about this comparison and was going to ask you about it, and now I find two great news in head-fi (this comparison and a new dynamic Rögnir - so, more work for you - to try the new headphones and -if you like them and want to incorpore a new horse to your stable- to convince your wife for the adquisition - :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ).
Hehe, I just told my wife about the Rognir Dynamic. Needless to say, I hit a brick wall. A massive one, in fact.

Don't worry, I'll keep chipping away at it. After all, 2022's a whole different year from 2021, right? :wink:

Looking at your comparison and also from your previous Liric trial, I think that for all mortal here (you are maybe a "semi-god" of maleficient :wink: ) having one of those headphones is good enough. Even, I find the 9200 mid-bass to lack just a little more impact, so leaner bass not for me... (yes, I'm trying to convince myself, so difficult here...)
I'm just plagued with an incurable bout of headphonus-upgraditis-collectivitus. A most severe case, in fact. :frowning2:

Dec 21, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #3,109 of 6,418
Dec 21, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #3,110 of 6,418

Edit: he puts into words how I felt about the Liric. Disappointment of the year, for me.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #3,111 of 6,418
This is cross-posted from the Meze Audio LIRIC thread. It's for anyone who's deciding between the Meze Audio LIRIC and the Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50. I hope this helps. :)

Bass
The Gjallarhorn GH50 has the heavier bass section; mid-bass is definitely more potent, with a rather tangible punch. Bass remains relatively clean, however, and eschews any of the negative press typically associated with bass-heavy headphones. In fact, the lows on the Gjallarhorn are teeming with quality; there is good articulation here. On this front, however, the LIRIC slightly edges out the Gjallarhorn in the cleanliness of its low-end presentation; the Meze has a touch better layering and separation.

Midrange
The mids on the Gjallarhorn are full and somewhat chunky; this contrasts well to the cleaner mids on the LIRIC. The latter presents vocals and instruments with slightly better clarity, as its entire tone lacks a persistent warmth that is present on the Kennerton. Thus, if you favor a better-defined midrange, the LIRIC would be the better choice. On the other hand, the Gjallarhorn is unabashed in its desire to produce sweet, melodic vocals that bring a sense of nostalgia; there's a touch of old-school warmth in its repertoire.

Treble
The treble on both of these headphones are more similar than the converse; the highs are attenuated to a degree that avoids any runaway peaks or excessive harshness. In fact, on the Gjallarhorn, the treble presentation is subdued in a manner that causes its signature to edge closer to the darker side of things. In contrast, the LIRIC retains a slightly more energetic section, with a tad greater sizzle its highs; there is a palpable sense of crisp definition and clarity to the Meze.

Technicalities / Staging
In terms of technicalities, the LIRIC is the better resolving headphone; micro detail is easily observed on the Meze vis-à-vis the Gjallarhorn. The Kennerton is no pushover in the general sense, but it has greater difficulty in expressing nuances and detail amidst its persistent tonal bloom. Staging on the LIRIC is also greater, with an easily-perceived sense of depth and width. In comparison, the Gjallarhorn's stage can be rather cramped and congested.

Dec 22, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #3,112 of 6,418
Hehe, I just told my wife about the Rognir Dynamic. Needless to say, I hit a brick wall. A massive one, in fact.

Don't worry, I'll keep chipping away at it. After all, 2022's a whole different year from 2021, right? :wink:

I'm just plagued with an incurable bout of headphonus-upgraditis-collectivitus. A most severe case, in fact. :frowning2:
I may order some to try, if they can't best the D9200 I am sure I will have no problem selling them. Would like to hear their Dynamic driver.

Dec 22, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #3,114 of 6,418

I've just ordered one. You are welcome to drop by for a listen when it arrives. :)

Dec 22, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #3,115 of 6,418
I've just ordered one. You are welcome to drop by for a listen when it arrives. :)
Where have you been? If not in this forum (and also in this thread)? With your headphone collection, we will wait for dynamic Rögnir comparisons with your other headphones (and, of course, with the Planar Rögnir).

Welcome and stay here if you want to reduce weight of your wallet... :wink: :beerchug:

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #3,116 of 6,418
But did you mention that you get a set of free Gjallarhorn GH40 headphones with it? Seems like a good value. Right? 😃

Dec 23, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #3,117 of 6,418
I may order some to try, if they can't best the D9200 I am sure I will have no problem selling them. Would like to hear their Dynamic driver.
Well, I've been impressed with what I've heard from Kennerton, thus far. My own Gjallarhorn is a pleasure to use - the bass they produce is quite remarkable.

The Rognir O.G. is a fantastic option in the TOTL space, too. Thankfully (for my wallet), its signature doesn't fit my tastes well. Still, if you're looking for a (true) high-end listening experience in the closed-back space, the Rognir will satisfy that itch.

Dec 23, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #3,118 of 6,418
Thanks, my friend! I'll take you up on that, when I'm free. :)

Your collection is growing, too! How are you finding the LIRIC?

Dec 23, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #3,119 of 6,418

The Kennerton Rognir Dynamic deal with the *free* included Gjallarhorn GH 40 is an amazing deal. I've been on the fence about it, mostly because I don't really need any more headphones and the Rognir Planar are already top notch for me. If I was lacking a TOTL portable, I'd go for it, but I find the Liric serves that role. Of course, always open to other interpretations on the issue.... :beyersmile:

Dec 23, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #3,120 of 6,418
But did you mention that you get a set of free Gjallarhorn GH40 headphones with it? Seems like a good value. Right? 😃
Uhmmm.. yeah, it's definitely great value on the headphone side.. but tragically dangerous on the wife's side of things.

If I hadn't purchased my Atticus - and I don't regret that one bit - I'll definitely be springing for the Rognir Dynamic. However, in the last month and a half, I've added the LIRIC and the Atticus to my collection; hence, I've probably exhausted whatever "Happy Holidays!" goodwill that I've earned with my wife.

I'll wait for 2020(too) to arrive before I start convincing the beauty that the beast needs (yet) another headphone. :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back