The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Dec 23, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #3,121 of 6,376
The Kennerton Rognir Dynamic deal with the *free* included Gjallarhorn GH 40 is an amazing deal. I've been on the fence about it, mostly because I don't really need any more headphones and the Rognir Planar are already top notch for me. If I was lacking a TOTL portable, I'd go for it, but I find the Liric serves that role. Of course, always open to other interpretations on the issue.... :beyersmile:
Yeah, buddy, indeed. I keep telling myself that I don't need any more headphones.. but the devil in me speaks louder, and far more convincingly. :eyes:

Must... resist.....

Dec 23, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #3,122 of 6,376
Yeah, buddy, indeed. I keep telling myself that I don't need any more headphones.. but the devil in me speaks louder, and far more convincingly. :eyes:

Must... resist.....
Resistance is futile…

Dec 23, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #3,123 of 6,376
Well, I've been impressed with what I've heard from Kennerton, thus far. My own Gjallarhorn is a pleasure to use - the bass they produce is quite remarkable.

The Rognir O.G. is a fantastic option in the TOTL space, too. Thankfully (for my wallet), its signature doesn't fit my tastes well. Still, if you're looking for a (true) high-end listening experience in the closed-back space, the Rognir will satisfy that itch.
Ordered today

Dec 24, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #3,126 of 6,376
am tempted too, 2 for price of 1 rognir dynamic. was looking at the Liric but no stock locally
To be frank, if the Rognir Dynamic is anything like the original Rognir, it may not be the perfect headphone for your needs, especially if you're a fan of the LIRIC. The Rognir (planar) is a top-class closed-back that places a lot of emphasis on technicalities; it's one of the most detailed headphones that I've had the pleasure of hearing. Thankfully, it doesn't sound sterile or analytical; it retains a slight tinge of musicality. However, its tonal weight is somewhat lean. The LIRIC isn't a whole different beast in the overall sense, but it varies in a few ways - it is fuller in its tone, has a weightier bass presence, is less prominent in its highs, and it's certainly less resolving.

If the Dynamic is simply an original Rognir, albeit in dynamic-driver form, it'll probably retain its tonality, but the technical chops will certainly take a slight hit.

In any case, kudos to Kennerton for producing a more accessible Rognir. It's certainly an intriguing prospect! :)

Dec 24, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #3,127 of 6,376
To be frank, if the Rognir Dynamic is anything like the original Rognir, it may not be the perfect headphone for your needs, especially if you're a fan of the LIRIC. The Rognir (planar) is a top-class closed-back that places a lot of emphasis on technicalities; it's one of the most detailed headphones that I've had the pleasure of hearing. Thankfully, it doesn't sound sterile or analytical; it retains a slight tinge of musicality. However, its tonal weight is somewhat lean. The LIRIC isn't a whole different beast in the overall sense, but it varies in a few ways - it is fuller in its tone, has a weightier bass presence, is less prominent in its highs, and it's certainly less resolving.

If the Dynamic is simply an original Rognir, albeit in dynamic-driver form, it'll probably retain its tonality, but the technical chops will certainly take a slight hit.

In any case, kudos to Kennerton for producing a more accessible Rognir. It's certainly an intriguing prospect! :)
thanks for the input, I have not heard the Rognir, just based on what I read. I like fuller sound, especially the mid and bass, with good extension and stage. I should wait a few more days, hopefully to get some early impressions. I am still trying to find out how heavy are the 2 new kennerton cans.

Dec 24, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #3,128 of 6,376
thanks for the input, I have not heard the Rognir, just based on what I read. I like fuller sound, especially the mid and bass, with good extension and stage. I should wait a few more days, hopefully to get some early impressions. I am still trying to find out how heavy are the 2 new kennerton cans.
Interested to hear impressions regarding stage and warmth plus the comfort element/weight.

These are very much non portable, but interesting.

Dec 24, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #3,129 of 6,376
Anyone have a particular ~500 usd closed back favorite regarding isolation?

I've read that my LCD2-C closed should isolate a lot, but for some very strange reason they aren't getting me there, even my old AQ NightOwls isolate better than the Audezes.

Reading around in these forums and other websites, people seem to suggest the Aeon Flows Closed, Focal Elegias, an assortment of Beyers, and the Neumann NDH 20.

Which one offers the superior isolation in your opinion? I direly need something that allows me to not hear my neighbor dogs' grueling barks, cuz I'm very close to napalm bombing their house to achieve silence.

Dec 24, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #3,130 of 6,376
Elegias are decent with isolation. You can hear sound coming out from them but not so much outside noises coming in. Especially if you swap the pads for something like Dekoni sheepskin or Dekoni Limited Stellia. Those pads will also increase bass but let even less noise in too because they aren't perforated and are denser and seal better than stock pads.

I can't speak for the others. I also have AQ NightOwls and I'd say the Focal Elegias are a little better at isolating. Though depends on which pads you're using with the Nightowls. They also come with a similar situation; suede or protein leather.

Dec 24, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #3,131 of 6,376
Elegias are decent with isolation. You can hear sound coming out from them but not so much outside noises coming in. Especially if you swap the pads for something like Dekoni sheepskin or Dekoni Limited Stellia. Those pads will also increase bass but let even less noise in too because they aren't perforated and are denser and seal better than stock pads.

I can't speak for the others. I also have AQ NightOwls and I'd say the Focal Elegias are a little better at isolating. Though depends on which pads you're using with the Nightowls. They also come with a similar situation; suede or protein leather.
Thanks! I was also thinking in venturing into the IEM world, but I'm such a sucker for immense soundstage, that i worry my ears will throw a tantrum

Dec 24, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #3,132 of 6,376
Thanks! I was also thinking in venturing into the IEM world, but I'm such a sucker for immense soundstage, that i worry my ears will throw a tantrum
If you can afford them ticket, the Traillii would provide you the stage you want in an iEM.

Dec 24, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #3,134 of 6,376
The Elegia actually have a surprising soundstage for closed back. But I wouldn't call it immense. Or any closed back really. If you want isolation, you're probably sacrificing soundstage to some degree.

At the price point, I just can't recommend enough the Elegia with a pad swap. I'm still blown away by the quality for the price. I do consider them semi-open though because they leak sound...but fortunately don't let a lot in at all.

Dec 24, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #3,135 of 6,376
I have six pairs of closed backs and the Elegia's have the best isolation of the bunch. That is from the inside out. They are also the cheapest closed backs that I own ($379.00 at Adorama).

I have nicer, but they are more expensive. My very best are my LSA HP-2's, which I got on sale for $799.00. It is a much more precise, articulate bass though.

If you just want the Boom, the Cascades are pretty impressive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back