The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Dec 19, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #3,062 of 6,351
Heh. I did actually talk to my wife about the WA33 once, when I was looking at tube amps. She just rolled her eyes. I don't know.. is that a "Yes" or a "No"? :sweat_smile:
That was the cue: she rolls eyes, you roll tubes!…

Dec 19, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #3,063 of 6,351
Get a Verite Closed if possible, lovely HP!
I would, but it’s out of my budget I’m afraid.

My Stellia is my end-game closed-back, but I have my sights set on an Auteur as my end-game open-back. While I cannot try it, all reviews indicate it is to my taste, is different than my Elears, and works well with my amps and sources.

Dec 19, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #3,064 of 6,351
Generally, perforated pads may change the sound to a certain degree - the "open vents" on the pads may attenuate some of that bass intensity, resulting in a sound that is a little flatter in the lower registers. This has been my experience with perforated pads.
Cool, so I'm not just imagining that I notice this improvement (towards my preferences) in the frequency response of a bass heavy headphone using velour pads.

Dec 20, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #3,065 of 6,351
Heh. I did actually talk to my wife about the WA33 once, when I was looking at tube amps. She just rolled her eyes. I don't know.. is that a "Yes" or a "No"? :sweat_smile:
I think she only wanted to express her surprise that you don’t already own that thing… is it fair to disappoint her? Maybe you should get that amp just to align with her perspective on you :wink:

Dec 20, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #3,066 of 6,351
Cool, so I'm not just imagining that I notice this improvement (towards my preferences) in the frequency response of a bass heavy headphone using velour pads.
Pads are most definitely an important part of the tuning. So yes, using less well sealing pads, like many velour pads, you can reduce bass

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #3,067 of 6,351
you can reduce bass

blasphemy.gif

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #3,068 of 6,351
@waveSounds to clarify: this was meant as a warning, not an endorsement :wink:

Personally I only seek such information as to avoid problems like reduced bass. It’s there for a purpose, and that purpose is fun.

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #3,069 of 6,351
When your wife is also an audiophile, there will be a lot of rolling eyes when talking with her about well known products... :rolling_eyes:
Yeah, she is a grounded audiophile - she appreciates quality gear, but she isn't a crazed fanatic hobbyist like myself. She is able to tell the difference between 2 headphones or IEMs with relative ease, but she doesn't subscribe to the mantra of "I need to try more, buy more" to get better sound. She's quite contented with her own audio equipment, which is admittedly, pretty good. Thus, whenever I try my sleazy salesman tactics on her, it more often than not fails. :sweat_smile:

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #3,070 of 6,351
Dec 20, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #3,071 of 6,351
That was the cue: she rolls eyes, you roll tubes!…
I think she only wanted to express her surprise that you don’t already own that thing… is it fair to disappoint her? Maybe you should get that amp just to align with her perspective on you :wink:
I guess you're right. Time to get a WA33! :eyes:

Oh and, if I do end up homeless after my wife throws me out of the house (and sells all of my headphones), can I bunk with you guys for a while? :sweat_smile:

Dec 20, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #3,072 of 6,351
@waveSounds to clarify: this was meant as a warning, not an endorsement :wink:

Personally I only seek such information as to avoid problems like reduced bass. It’s there for a purpose, and that purpose is fun.

Ha, 'twas more a tongue-in-cheek condemnation towards those who actively seek to reduce bass. They need to do some serious soul searchin'! I know from your collection you're a man with good bass sensibilities. It's one of those traditional audiophile fallacies that I can't relate to (or condone); if a headphone has no bass but the rest of the spectrum is well accounted for then they'll generally be universally praised, but it's rarely the other way around. Take our beloved 846 for example, the amount of people who pan it because "no treble", which despite being a gross exaggeration, ignores the fact that the rest of the frequencies are delightful.

I guess you're right. Time to get a WA33! :eyes:

Oh and, if I do end up homeless after my wife throws me out of the house (and sells all of my headphones), can I bunk with you guys for a while? :sweat_smile:

Sure man. You can bunk with me! Just make sure all your gear comes with you :stuck_out_tongue: We might need someone to vouch as a backup for when my wife kicks the both of us out, though...

Edit:

We'll have fun trying out your Atticus on the baby xDuoo :mrs_claus:

full

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #3,073 of 6,351
Yeah, she is a grounded audiophile - she appreciates quality gear, but she isn't a crazed fanatic hobbyist like myself. She is able to tell the difference between 2 headphones or IEMs with relative ease, but she doesn't subscribe to the mantra of "I need to try more, buy more" to get better sound. She's quite contented with her own audio equipment, which is admittedly, pretty good. Thus, whenever I try my sleazy salesman tactics on her, it more often than not fails. :sweat_smile:
So, with this phrase -I put in bold-, you are admitting that nowadays we can't find her anymore in head-fi :relieved:

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #3,075 of 6,351
I didn't realise Mrs Malevolent is (or used to be) a head-fi member!

Does she go by the username Maleficent?
thicksmile.gif
No she is not Angelina Jolie :heart_eyes: I remember her in a photo with VCs and when I saw her I thought: I wish I were her :L3000: (and, no, I'm not declaring my love to Malevolent hahahahaha)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back