The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jul 17, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #2,116 of 6,330
I wanted to weigh in with the closed backs I have owned or tried.

I currently own the Rognir. Clear crisp sound, great mids with a slighly enhanced bass. Very tight bass. Very good separation and the sound stage and imaging is about as good as you will hear in a closed back. I do believe that it is the best closed back I have ever heard. My sole complaint is that my ears touch the inner part of the pads.

Focal Stellia (owned)….I liked but didn’t love the Stellia. It did everything well…but it never felt special. Good bass. Stage was smallish. It wasn’t near as dynamic as I had hoped. A good headphone but not worth the price tag.

Audio Technica A-WAS (owned)…good for the price. It had some moments. It was average at best on my Ifi Pro ICAN and really good on the Auris Nirvana. It had great mids. It was pretty neutral. Smallish stage. Separation could get a little muddy with rock and songs with a lot of instruments.

Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM (owned)… great bass (definately a bit bass heavy) great soundstage…. Not the most detailed headphone.

Audio Technica A2000X (owned)… bass light, had a metalic reverb is the best I can describe. Not my favorite.

ZMF Verite Closed (auditioned)… good bass, a bit darker sound compared to the Rognir. I really wish I could remember the sound better. It was too long ago and I didnt have enough time to really give a fair impression.
Great comparisons. Thanks for your impressions.

I, too, didn't find the Stellia all that impressive, considering its high price tag. I'd rate the Focal below the AH-D9200, Vérité Closed, MDR-Z1R, and the ATH-AWKT. Hell, I'd even pick the TH900 Mk2 over the Stellia, especially since it plays so well with EDM. With that being said, the Stellia isn't a bad headphone per se, it's just not a very good value proposition, IMO. It's nearly twice the MSRP of the AH-D9200, but the latter handily bests the Stellia in several areas. Ultimately, sound is subjective, and there will be fans of the copper-clad headphone, but I'm (sadly) not a huge one. It's a good addition to round up a closed-back fan's collection, but not at that price, I feel. :)

Jul 17, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #2,117 of 6,330
From your comments look like they have copied the Sony mdr-z7 for sound lol
It's been some time since I've heard the MDR-Z7, but I think the T5 (3rd Generation) has even stronger bass than the MDR-Z7. The Sony has an equally smooth treble response, but it doesn't have that huge mid-bass hump to muddle the lower registers. The MDR-Z7 comes across as silky-smooth and lush; the new T5 is dark and boomy.

Jul 17, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #2,118 of 6,330
Context is important.

Are the mids recessed, yes. Due to a bloomed bass response that is a bit oversaturated I think it does take away from a midrange presence. They're still wonderfully rich and are the ZMF flavoring everyone finds addicting.

The Rognir is also recessed in the midrange less so than the Abyss, but its response is more clean without coldness nor overt warmth and the bass presence is more extended and remains tight.

However you may hear things, I'll find no fault. I can only share my experience and reference to establish a bridge of communication.
To my ears, the mids on the Vérité Closed aren't recessed, but they aren't quite pushed to the fore either. Rather, there is just a good amount of emphasis, coupled with the excellent aspects of detail, texture and layering. Ultimately, I'd say that this headphone's best characteristic is its potent midrange.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Jul 17, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #2,119 of 6,330
It's been some time since I've heard the MDR-Z7, but I think the T5 (3rd Generation) has even stronger bass than the MDR-Z7. The Sony has an equally smooth treble response, but it doesn't have that huge mid-bass hump to muddle the lower registers. The MDR-Z7 comes across as silky-smooth and lush; the new T5 is dark and boomy.
How would you compare the Z1R vs the Z7m2?

From what I'm finding online, it appears to use a very similar driver if not identical. Is there a significant difference in sound to justify the price difference?

Jul 17, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #2,120 of 6,330
How would you compare the Z1R vs the Z7m2?

From what I'm finding online, it appears to use a very similar driver if not identical. Is there a significant difference in sound to justify the price difference?
I've compared the 2 headphones here.

The MDR-Z7M2 is no slouch, IMO. By conservative estimates, I'd say that it achieves 80% of the MDR-Z1R's overall sound at about half its price. Pretty good value, if you ask me.

Jul 17, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #2,121 of 6,330
I've compared the 2 headphones here.

The MDR-Z7M2 is no slouch, IMO. By conservative estimates, I'd say that it achieves 80% of the MDR-Z1R's overall sound at about half its price. Pretty good value, if you ask me.
I really wish I could show you the modded Z7m2.

I would love for you to review it.

Jul 18, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #2,122 of 6,330
I'm rocking a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT770(250ohm) but i can't stand the coiled wire. If i went with the 80ohm model instead which has a straight wire would i be getting a step down in audio quality? Comparisons online seem to be split.

Jul 18, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #2,123 of 6,330
Anyone got any options for someone looking for a Neutral, portable (drivable without a amp, currently have Qudelix 5k DAC for wireless ability and a little smidgen of drive)
Budget would be under 1500 range.

I've dabbled with Focal Celestee (currently selling in classifieds fyi) and Elegia with the clamp being a bit much.

Shure 1540's were decent but seemingly could do much better plus not a fan of the mmcx connectors.

Had the 2020 edition LCD XC's and that thing was ridiculous on weight size unless the 2021 version feels way lighter? Unfortunately didn't get much time to focus listen but that was an immediate turn off.

Currently have been using D9200's for a little bit which have been great sounding (went through the path of biodynas from x00's/teak on to get there) but not the best for continuous portable use (a bit too loose fitting while moving around and not neutral)

I like to have good Imaging, soundstage (at least from what you can get from a closed back) is secondary but wanted if I can find it as well.

I am perfectly willing to EQ for best results also, I normally avoid posting and more so go searching myself but been kind of stuck at this point.
Especially dealing with the need for ones that need little to no extra drive.

Jul 18, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #2,124 of 6,330
Anyone got any options for someone looking for a Neutral, portable (drivable without a amp, currently have Qudelix 5k DAC for wireless ability and a little smidgen of drive)

I've dabbled with Focal Celestee (currently selling in classifieds fyi) and Elegia with the clamp being a bit much.

Shure 1540's were decent but seemingly could do much better plus not a fan of the mmcx connectors.

Had the 2020 edition LCD XC's and that thing was ridiculous on weight size unless the 2021 version feels way lighter? Unfortunately didn't get much time to focus listen but that was an immediate turn off.

Currently have been using D9200's for a little bit which have been great sounding (went through the path of biodynas from x00's/teak on to get there) but not the best for continuous portable use (a bit too loose fitting while moving around and not neutral)

I like to have good Imaging, soundstage (at least from what you can get from a closed back) is secondary but wanted if I can find it as well.

I am perfectly willing to EQ for best results also, I normally avoid posting and more so go searching myself but been kind of stuck at this point.
Look at Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM. Easy to drive. Good soundstage, in your price range.

Jul 18, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #2,126 of 6,330
I've heard those may be a little on the dark side and have some clamp...but looking as a possible option.
They actually dont have enough clamp when you get them new. You have to adjust the headband for your perfect fit. The JM is more neutral than the regular Gjallarhorn.

Jul 18, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #2,127 of 6,330
Context is important.

Are the mids recessed, yes. Due to a bloomed bass response that is a bit oversaturated I think it does take away from a midrange presence. They're still wonderfully rich and are the ZMF flavoring everyone finds addicting.

The Rognir is also recessed in the midrange less so than the Abyss, but its response is more clean without coldness nor overt warmth and the bass presence is more extended and remains tight.

However you may hear things, I'll find no fault. I can only share my experience and reference to establish a bridge of communication.
I can completely attest to the above. In all fairness, this was not my first observation but rather my overall feeling after hearing the Verite at length.
I'd even go so far as to say that the Eikon has a slightly better tuning compared to the Verite. They do have a slightly spicy treble but it's not as apparent as the mid-bass problem is on the Verite. Again, YMMV.
I'm holding off on the Verite for now. I want to listen to the Rognir and then decide.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #2,128 of 6,330
I really wish I could show you the modded Z7m2.

I would love for you to review it.
I've read your list of mods for the MDR-Z7M2. It's quite interesting, to say the least. Sadly, I'm not very adventurous when it comes to modifications; I like to keep my headphones in their stock forms. Nevertheless, if you can get a headphone to sound great, I think you've got a winner on your hands. Enjoy! :)

Jul 18, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #2,129 of 6,330

If there's one thing that a majority of closed-back headphones have in common, it's that their signatures are almost never tuned toward neutrality. Rather, they have distinct shades of tone, some heavier than others. Having said that, some closed cans try to steer their way toward tonal balance, as opposed to skewed coloration. As you've mentioned, the Elegia is one of the first cans that come to mind, when we talk about a (relatively) neutral signature. Sadly, the clamp force on the Focal headphones can be a little excessive. I, too, don't enjoy using the Elegia and the Celestee for long periods of time.

The AH-D9200 remains a top bet; you'd be hard pressed to get a better all-round package for the price, size, performance, and portability factors.

If you'd still like to explore further, you can consider the Dan Clark Audio Ether C Flow 1.1. It's a little big in size, but they are also comparatively light. They offer a "neutral-ish" sound that's pretty good on the technical front, too.

Jul 19, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #2,130 of 6,330
If there's one thing that a majority of closed-back headphones have in common, it's that their signatures are almost never tuned toward neutrality. Rather, they have distinct shades of tone, some heavier than others. Having said that, some closed cans try to steer their way toward tonal balance, as opposed to skewed coloration. As you've mentioned, the Elegia is one of the first cans that come to mind, when we talk about a (relatively) neutral signature. Sadly, the clamp force on the Focal headphones can be a little excessive. I, too, don't enjoy using the Elegia and the Celestee for long periods of time.

The AH-D9200 remains a top bet; you'd be hard pressed to get a better all-round package for the price, size, performance, and portability factors.

If you'd still like to explore further, you can consider the Dan Clark Audio Ether C Flow 1.1. It's a little big in size, but they are also comparatively light. They offer a "neutral-ish" sound that's pretty good on the technical front, too.
Yeah I've heard the flows also have a clamp but that may vary?
They actually dont have enough clamp when you get them new. You have to adjust the headband for your perfect fit. The JM is more neutral than the regular Gjallarhorn.
Honestly skeptical of the Gjallarhorn but might give them a shot soon as I hear the JM mods give a bit of improvement then maybe the flow's next if its not suitable. If anything other users will have more options on the classified marketplace soon (Wish I had something nearby to demo more of these higher end ones, the dream).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back