The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jul 11, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #2,086 of 6,351
I called Audeze and the person asked for serial number and then sent me a invoice and done deal. I bought the grills from Audeze for $40. No funny business to deal with. My XC I got from HeadAmp so no issue not buying directly from Audeze. In my case the headphone did 180 on sound. The caps and grills come with the dampening installed. Easy swap.

OK, thanks. When I saw your post I started googling and found this guy on eBay who sells a "kit" that will let you turn Audeze open backs into closed: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124419847484 I ordered a set as I have always wanted to use my LCD-X at the office.

Jul 11, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #2,087 of 6,351
OK, thanks. When I saw your post I started googling and found this guy on eBay who sells a "kit" that will let you turn Audeze open backs into closed: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124419847484 I ordered a set as I have always wanted to use my LCD-X at the office.
Those should be different in tuning looks like more air space.

Jul 11, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #2,088 of 6,351
I actually like the looks of the Celestee quite a bit. But I'm not sure I should get these as I didn't like the Stellia. Do you like Focal headphones in general? My preference is more on the ZMF side, warmer, less bright.
My tastes in headphones are quite eclectic, to a certain degree. On the one end of the spectrum, I enjoy warmer, lusher headphones with an attenuated treble presentation. On the other, I enjoy signatures that are slightly brighter, with a leaner tone. My preferences extend all the way to a Focal Utopia, on the brighter side of things, though. To put things into context, I don't enjoy listening to the HD 800, the HD 800 S, the HE1000, or the SR-009S for example.

I like the Stellia myself, but I didn't enjoy it enough to splash 3 grand on them; I spent the money on a Vérité Closed instead. :)

Jul 11, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #2,089 of 6,351
I've tried all three of them by now :)

I ended up with the Celestee as well (for now :wink:). I prefer the fit and dynamic sound over the t5, though I really liked their sound as well. With the Celestee I have the feeling my money is better spent than with the t5.
It's only short notice but I have the feeling the Celestee might just be a keeper
Yeah, the T5 (3rd Generation) is not a bad headphone per se, but its applications are rather limited, as opposed to the Celestee. The Focal plays better with a greater number of genres, IMO.

I'm glad that you're enjoying the Celestee, too. :)

Jul 11, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #2,090 of 6,351
Hello here,

I own Denon AH9200 and I like the sound it provides and I am also considering Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 which I had a chance to demo some time ago. I liked the sound and comfort (the headband comfort is much better than the 9200). But I didn't compare these headphones side by side.

In your opinion, if you only had Denon AH9200, would you still buy the Gjallarhorn? Would they compliment each other? Would there be any overlap in their characteristics? Is one more enjoyable than the other? I am trying to figure out if it makes sense to own both headphones.

Jul 11, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #2,091 of 6,351
Hello here,

I own Denon AH9200 and I like the sound it provides and I am also considering Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 which I had a chance to demo some time ago. I liked the sound and comfort (the headband comfort is much better than the 9200). But I didn't compare these headphones side by side.

In your opinion, if you only had Denon AH9200, would you still buy the Gjallarhorn? Would they compliment each other? Would there be any overlap in their characteristics? Is one more enjoyable than the other? I am trying to figure out if it makes sense to own both headphones.
I own these 2 headphones, and I've compared them here.

To answer your questions, in general, yes, the AH-D9200 sounds different enough that the presence of both headphones within 1 collection doesn't induce a (high) level of redundancy. The Gjallarhorn is darker, smoother, and has a heavier bass response. On the flipside, the AH-D9200 has a relatively balanced sound, with better technical chops. The Gjallarhorn is not as pliant as the Denon in terms of its musical fit; the AH-D9200 plays better with a wider spectrum of genres. With that being said, if you enjoy a darker sound, coupled with a thumping bass response, the Gjallarhorn is a good addition to your stable.

Jul 11, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #2,092 of 6,351
I own these 2 headphones, and I've compared them here.

To answer your questions, in general, yes, the AH-D9200 sounds different enough that the presence of both headphones within 1 collection doesn't induce a (high) level of redundancy. The Gjallarhorn is darker, smoother, and has a heavier bass response. On the flipside, the AH-D9200 has a relatively balanced sound, with better technical chops. The Gjallarhorn is not as pliant as the Denon in terms of its musical fit; the AH-D9200 plays better with a wider spectrum of genres. With that being said, if you enjoy a darker sound, coupled with a thumping bass response, the Gjallarhorn is a good addition to your stable.
Thanks for your response. I read your comparison, very helpful info. I guess redundancy was the word I was looking for to express my concern. Some part of me wants to justify getting another pair of closed back headphone in addition to the AH-9200. The Gjallarhorn seems like a great companion for this price range based on what I read and my short listening session. By the way, I am considering the JM version.

Speaking of darker sound, AH-D7200 and Sony Z1R come to mind. I had them for a few days before buying the AH-9200. AH-D7200 didn't seem to have a lot of clarity and detail. As for Sony Z1R, I liked the sound signature, but it felt like it lacked mids. Also, It was way too bulky and I didn't want to look like princess Leia with it.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #2,093 of 6,351
Interesting, not too bad a price for a premade kit. I'd like to hear your results with that mod.

If you're looking into modding for damping and to reduce resonance, try fo.q tape. It worked so well on my Sony Z7m2 that I applied it to everything I have with excellent results. It improved everything on the Sony Z7m2, in particular the bass, especially the sub bass. Theres no other headphone I've heard that can match the sub bass on it after the mod. It has better texture and impact than the Gjallarhorn albeit not as fast.

12021-06-24.jpg
2021-062-25.jpg
2021-06-27.jpg
2021-06-257.jpg

Jul 12, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #2,094 of 6,351
mThanks for your response. I read your comparison, very helpful info. I guess redundancy was the word I was looking for to express my concern. Some part of me wants to justify getting another pair of closed back headphone in addition to the AH-9200. The Gjallarhorn seems like a great companion for this price range based on what I read and my short listening session. By the way, I am considering the JM version.

Speaking of darker sound, AH-D7200 and Sony Z1R come to mind. I had them for a few days before buying the AH-9200. AH-D7200 didn't seem to have a lot of clarity and detail. As for Sony Z1R, I liked the sound signature, but it felt like it lacked mids. Also, It was way too bulky and I didn't want to look like princess Leia with it.
Sadly, I have not heard the JM Edition of the Gjallarhorn; it is, however, well lauded by its owners. I doubt you could go wrong with either version; although, the original GH50 is probably the headphone with the more disparate sound, in relation to the AH-D9200. :)

Jul 14, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #2,095 of 6,351
Any closed back recommendations for movies? I'm not the best at describing audio, but I had the Celestee and they sounded maybe a bit confined? And the bass didn't have quite the thud I was hoping for. I tried the Elagia and I felt those were maybe a bit more muffled, though that may have largely come from the difference in pads. I did try some open backed HiFiMan planers a while back and I did like them, but that might have been because they were open, which wouldn't work well for my uses.

Unfortunately there's no audio shops nearby so I pretty much can't really compare without purchasing first. I was looking at the Beyerdynamic T5g3, some Sennheiser 820 refurbished when they're on sale,or maybe the Sony Z7 (or Z1 if I can find them on a good sale).

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #2,096 of 6,351
Any closed back recommendations for movies? I'm not the best at describing audio, but I had the Celestee and they sounded maybe a bit confined? And the bass didn't have quite the thud I was hoping for. I tried the Elagia and I felt those were maybe a bit more muffled, though that may have largely come from the difference in pads. I did try some open backed HiFiMan planers a while back and I did like them, but that might have been because they were open, which wouldn't work well for my uses.

Unfortunately there's no audio shops nearby so I pretty much can't really compare without purchasing first. I was looking at the Beyerdynamic T5g3, some Sennheiser 820 refurbished when they're on sale,or maybe the Sony Z7 (or Z1 if I can find them on a good sale).
I just got the T5 3rd Gen a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it. I basically bought it for gaming and a little music listening when there is too much noise in my house. However, you have to remove the foam in the ear cups because stock they sound muffled and veiled which isn't surprising given how thick the foam is over the driver. I swear de-foamed T5 3rd gens are what the engineers had in mind for the successor to the T5p 2nd gen but the bean counters at Beyerdynamic said nah make it mainstream.

Jul 15, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #2,097 of 6,351

I would definitely put the T5 g2 on that list...the soundstage is great along with a profile that suits movies/games. Haven't tried the T5g3.

Jul 15, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #2,098 of 6,351
I just got the T5 3rd Gen a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it. I basically bought it for gaming and a little music listening when there is too much noise in my house. However, you have to remove the foam in the ear cups because stock they sound muffled and veiled which isn't surprising given how thick the foam is over the driver. I swear de-foamed T5 3rd gens are what the engineers had in mind for the successor to the T5p 2nd gen but the bean counters at Beyerdynamic said nah make it mainstream.

Do you think it is easy to put the foam back on if needed? My only concern with the T5 is the comfort for longer listening. I have the A2C noire's which sound really nice and are so comfortable both with their pads and in the sound profile, but are pretty limp when it comes to impact, and dont have the soundstage of the T5 g2.

There is a used set of new T5's here, which I thought of picking up, but I am only going to hold 1 pair, so that would mean getting rid of the A2C's.

Jul 15, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #2,099 of 6,351
Do you think it is easy to put the foam back on if needed? My only concern with the T5 is the comfort for longer listening. I have the A2C noire's which sound really nice and are so comfortable both with their pads and in the sound profile, but are pretty limp when it comes to impact, and dont have the soundstage of the T5 g2.

There is a used set of new T5's here, which I thought of picking up, but I am only going to hold 1 pair, so that would mean getting rid of the A2C's.
I've gone back and fourth with the foam about four times now. It's not something you're ever going to want to do on the fly but it's easy enough. There's a plastic ring under the ear pads that you can just pop off with a plastic wedge and the foam will come right out. I don't have a problem with comfort on these so far. I have a bigger than average head but smaller than average ears though. I think some dekoni ear pads would completely solve any comfort issues you would have if it became a problem.

Based off what I know about the A2C I don't think it would be great for your use case. I haven't heard them personally but I've heard other single sided planars and they're just not exciting to listen to. The combination of staging and dynamics make the T5 a polar opposite imo.

You could also try the AH-D7200 as well but it favors intimacy over spatial information which is why I sold it and kept the T5.

Jul 15, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #2,100 of 6,351
I've gone back and fourth with the foam about four times now. It's not something you're ever going to want to do on the fly but it's easy enough. There's a plastic ring under the ear pads that you can just pop off with a plastic wedge and the foam will come right out. I don't have a problem with comfort on these so far. I have a bigger than average head but smaller than average ears though. I think some dekoni ear pads would completely solve any comfort issues you would have if it became a problem.

Based off what I know about the A2C I don't think it would be great for your use case. I haven't heard them personally but I've heard other single sided planars and they're just not exciting to listen to. The combination of staging and dynamics make the T5 a polar opposite imo.

You could also try the AH-D7200 as well but it favors intimacy over spatial information which is why I sold it and kept the T5.

Ah, so its not glued on then? That would be good news!

The Noire's are really nice.....and for most other genres (I listen to everything) they do quite well, but just aren't that engaging. I had chosen them over the T5 g2 because the detailed sound is very natural. but from what I have heard it is fairly normal for planars to lack the slam which dynamic drivers have. Which is maybe nice for longer listening which is useful in the office, but I might have to try out the new T5's then....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back