The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jan 18, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #1,441 of 6,384
i am looking for a close and fairly portable cans, i did consider those anc ones but they don’t sound good on wired passive mode. is the Shure portable or any recommendation?

If you like bright splashy treble with killer imaging and separation, consider Austrian Audio Hi X-55. They fold, low impedance and are easy to drive, with huge inner pad diameter considering its smaller foot print. Sound isolation is really good and sound leakage is minimal, so suitable for travel use as well. They won't break the bank either.

Not my ideal sound, but performance wise, in particlar its pinpoint imaging is impressive. I can see why these are appealing for studio use.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #1,442 of 6,384
If you like bright splashy treble with killer imaging and separation, consider Austrian Audio Hi X-55. They fold, low impedance and are easy to drive, with huge inner pad diameter considering its smaller foot print. Sound isolation is really good and sound leakage is minimal, so suitable for travel use as well. They won't break the bank either.

Not my ideal sound, but performance wise, in particlar its pinpoint imaging is impressive. I can see why these are appealing for studio use.

thanks, this is the first time i heard of this, need to check it out even though i am not a fan bright treble.

Jan 19, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #1,443 of 6,384
i am looking for a close and fairly portable cans, i did consider those anc ones but they don’t sound good on wired passive mode. is the Shure portable or any recommendation?
The Aeon 2 Closed are the most portable high end headphones I know. Don't own it myself, can't speak to sound signature.

7C891600-99D0-410B-9EA8-AAF2F5BFCEE9.jpeg
1611053739183.png

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #1,444 of 6,384
I just received the D9200, and it makes me want to forget the other headphones in my lineup. That's right. Read my signature.

Jan 19, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #1,445 of 6,384
I just received the D9200, and it makes me want to forget the other headphones in my lineup. That's right. Read my signature.
Similar experience, very different headphones:

1970s DT48A (5 Ohms), new head pad, ear pads, sliders and hardware, FAW Claire Mk.2 cable (oh, and a very thorough clean with isopropyl alcohol).

Properly amped, they blow most other (closed) headphones away, and are far less genre-specific than the 25 Ohm DT48E.

Jan 19, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #1,446 of 6,384

Yup, I had the same reaction, albeit it has only been a month or two. To some degree, my other headphones are now like 'trips' usually leading back home to the AH-D9200. It has also helped me appreciate the Focal Clear, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, and Sony MDR-Z1R in a new way.

Jan 19, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #1,448 of 6,384
I’d second the Shure 1540. It is an incredibly musical headphone that I’ve had for several years, listening to jazz, rock, pop, electronica, funk, and rap. It has good tonal balance (though not super-neutral per se), and reaches deep when needed. It’s not too hard to drive, but responds well to power. I’ve used an Oppo HA-2 SE, a Burson HA-160, and an SPL Auditor with it. I’ve been very pleasantly surprised by how well it works with all of them, as well as different DAC sound signatures (the Oppo vs. a Gungnir MB in my living room). It can be found at prices well within your budget, and open-box or used units for less.

It’s also light and incredibly comfortable, with Alcantara ear pads (and a spare pair included!). It scales well with better aftermarket cables- I am using a Moon Audio Blue Dragon to good effect.

As you can tell, I’m a big fan- it’s my daily driver.

The only three things that are negative and worth noting: 1) The headband may wear down and flake after a couple of years, but you can add a headband protector to help this. 2) It is not the last word in detail- but that also allows you to listen to older recordings without notable fatigue. 3) It isolates well, but not great. You can wear it and listen to lower volumes with a person nearby and not bother them. However, it won’t help too much with significant ambient noise. Great for a quieter office environment, but not a loud one.

Highly recommended, and good luck with your search!
Are they worth the extra money than AKG K371?

Other good closed headphones under € 300?

I also listen to a lot of Rock / Metal, so headphones that go well with even faster and more aggressive genres.

Jan 19, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #1,450 of 6,384
Yup, I had the same reaction, albeit it has only been a month or two. To some degree, my other headphones are now like 'trips' usually leading back home to the AH-D9200. It has also helped me appreciate the Focal Clear, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, and Sony MDR-Z1R in a new way.
That's the way it has to be, imo.
The D9200 hasn't blown out my other headphones, except the D7200.
Since i got the D9200, i've more rotation between them all.
Albeit the Era-1 is still my number 1. :)
But i do listen to the SEM5 more often now in rotation with the D9200.

I appreciate them all for various reasons.

Keep listening to good music and stay safe. :L3000:
Chris

Jan 19, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #1,451 of 6,384
That's the way it has to be, imo.
The D9200 hasn't blown out my other headphones, except the D7200.
Since i got the D9200, i've more rotation between them all.
Albeit the Era-1 is still my number 1. :)
But i do listen to the SEM5 more often now in rotation with the D9200.

I appreciate them all for various reasons.

Keep listening to good music and stay safe. :L3000:
Chris
I don't know why people don't look into Pioneer SE Monitor 5 because they are as good as other TOTL offerings from other brands

Jan 19, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #1,452 of 6,384
Indeed.
Out of all, they're the most comfortable headphones in my collection with this large opening and soft padding( pleather pads ).
I don't like velour pads on my headphones.

But i'm scared of once the pads worn out. ^^
It's gonna be quite expensive to buy new oem pads, if i'm able to get a pair. ^^

Jan 19, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #1,453 of 6,384
dont have a fix budget but as long as its reasonable. I took my zmf on a few trips or chilling outside, and people are just staring at what on my head...hahaha.
I am even tempted to check out the Denon 9200 from all the discussion, but I suspect it will stand out too.
I gotcha. Then I'd recommend the DCA Aeon 2 Closed for portability. Best portable over-ear headphones I've tried.

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #1,454 of 6,384
dont have a fix budget but as long as its reasonable. I took my zmf on a few trips or chilling outside, and people are just staring at what on my head...hahaha.
I am even tempted to check out the Denon 9200 from all the discussion, but I suspect it will stand out too.
I second (or third) the recommendations of the Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed. If portability (and decent sound quality) are your top priorities, this headphone checks the corresponding boxes. It has a fairly musical signature with decent resolving capabilities and a touch of warmth that brings a sense of verdancy to your music. As @MatW has pointed out, they can collapse into a small "ball"; in its carrying case, they can be thrown into a bag, even small-to-medium-sized ones.

Jan 19, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #1,455 of 6,384
Are they worth the extra money than AKG K371?

Other good closed headphones under € 300?

I also listen to a lot of Rock / Metal, so headphones that go well with even faster and more aggressive genres.
Unfortunately I can’t comment on the AKG K371, as I’ve only tried the Q-701 and K-450.

The latter is an on-ear (and is good for what it is), and simply cannot compete with the Shure- some of that is the amount of money spent building them, some of it due to the difference in ear seal (on-ear vs over-ear).

I would recommend looking at either used Shures (1540s can be found for around $300-350) or perhaps another studio-style closed headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back