The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jan 15, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #1,426 of 6,351
Which closed back has the best separation ?
If you're referring to instrument separation, some of the best that I've heard, thus far, were produced by the following headphones -
  • AKG K872
  • Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT
  • Fostex TH900 Mk2
  • Sennheiser HD 820
  • ZMF Vérité Closed

Jan 15, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #1,427 of 6,351
If you're referring to instrument separation, some of the best that I've heard, thus far, were produced by the following headphones -
  • AKG K872
  • Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT
  • Fostex TH900 Mk2
  • Sennheiser HD 820
  • ZMF Vérité Closed
I have the ZMF Verite Closed and while I love it, I am actually a little disappointed with the instrument separation. In my experience, the Audeze LCD-XC actually does a better job in this particular area. While I think I have probably among the best closed headphones around, with the VC, XC and Z1R, instrument separation is the one area where I am still hoping for a better closed back. I have not heard the first three headphones you mention. I have been interested in the Fostex for a while, but I am not sure it is a better headphone overall than the three I already own. I would be interested in your perspective on this.

Jan 15, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #1,428 of 6,351
I have the ZMF Verite Closed and while I love it, I am actually a little disappointed with the instrument separation. In my experience, the Audeze LCD-XC actually does a better job in this particular area. While I think I have probably among the best closed headphones around, with the VC, XC and Z1R, instrument separation is the one area where I am still hoping for a better closed back. I have not heard the first three headphones you mention. I have been interested in the Fostex for a while, but I am not sure it is a better headphone overall than the three I already own. I would be interested in your perspective on this.
I have the AWKT and the ZMF Verite Closed, and would say in terms of sheer resolve of instrument separation, the AWKT is top dog. To my ears, they're probably the most technically component closed-back I've heard. I've had the VC for a couple of months now and continue to love them, but for me, their strongest aspect is timbre, comfort, and sheer "musicality." I listen to them probably the most because they're the complete package. I find their technical merits - which are many - are heavily dependent on your set-up.

Having said that, I actually find the MSR7B (which are approx 2900 Euros cheaper than my VC) also have surprisingly very clear instrument separation.

I'd also be very interested in what people have to say on imaging and instrument separation of the Fostex.

Jan 15, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #1,429 of 6,351
Hmm I find the ZMF VC instrument separate greatly improved after I switched to a different amp, especially in the bass region.

Jan 15, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #1,430 of 6,351
I have the AWKT and the ZMF Verite Closed, and would say in terms of sheer resolve of instrument separation, the AWKT is top dog. To my ears, they're probably the most technically component closed-back I've heard. I've had the VC for a couple of months now and continue to love them, but for me, their strongest aspect is timbre, comfort, and sheer "musicality." I listen to them probably the most because they're the complete package. I find their technical merits - which are many - are heavily dependent on your set-up.

Having said that, I actually find the MSR7B (which are approx 2900 Euros cheaper than my VC) also have surprisingly very clear instrument separation.

I'd also be very interested in what people have to say on imaging and instrument separation of the Fostex.
The msr7b is a bargain in headphones :)

Jan 17, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #1,433 of 6,351
I own the LCD-XC and the Vérité Closed myself, and I've done some extensive back-and-forth between the 2; the ZMF flagship has a (slightly) more expansive sound, with correspondingly better instrument separation. I don't know if this is down to unit variance - more so with the LCD-XC than the Vérité Closed - but these improvements were fairly apparent to my ears.

Nevertheless, as @Nostoi has mentioned, the ATH-AWKT is one of the best contemporary models in the various technical components - the imaging and separation on this headphone is truly top-notch, rivalling the HD 820 in absolute terms. However, they aren't the most engaging headphones around; they can lack "fun" and a sense of engagement, so you'll definitely need to audition the Audio-Technica to determine if its signature is a good fit for your tonal preferences. :)

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #1,434 of 6,351
I am in the market looking for a closed back headphone in the neighborhood of $500 (USD). Any recommendations that are suitable for guitars/rock music? Let’s say the album Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits is my go-to tester album.

I currently have a pair of beater M40X and recently tried the AKG K371 but returned those as I wasn’t thrilled with the build quality.

Jan 18, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #1,436 of 6,351
I am in the market looking for a closed back headphone in the neighborhood of $500 (USD). Any recommendations that are suitable for guitars/rock music? Let’s say the album Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits is my go-to tester album.

I currently have a pair of beater M40X and recently tried the AKG K371 but returned those as I wasn’t thrilled with the build quality.
In that price range, you can try one of the following all-rounder headphones -
  • E-MU Teak
  • Shure SRH1540
These 2 cans blend good performance in the technical areas with a musical slant. Plus, they play well with myriad genres of music.

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #1,437 of 6,351
In that price range, you can try one of the following all-rounder headphones -
  • E-MU Teak
  • Shure SRH1540
These 2 cans blend good performance in the technical areas with a musical slant. Plus, they play well with myriad genres of music.
I’d second the Shure 1540. It is an incredibly musical headphone that I’ve had for several years, listening to jazz, rock, pop, electronica, funk, and rap. It has good tonal balance (though not super-neutral per se), and reaches deep when needed. It’s not too hard to drive, but responds well to power. I’ve used an Oppo HA-2 SE, a Burson HA-160, and an SPL Auditor with it. I’ve been very pleasantly surprised by how well it works with all of them, as well as different DAC sound signatures (the Oppo vs. a Gungnir MB in my living room). It can be found at prices well within your budget, and open-box or used units for less.

It’s also light and incredibly comfortable, with Alcantara ear pads (and a spare pair included!). It scales well with better aftermarket cables- I am using a Moon Audio Blue Dragon to good effect.

As you can tell, I’m a big fan- it’s my daily driver.

The only three things that are negative and worth noting: 1) The headband may wear down and flake after a couple of years, but you can add a headband protector to help this. 2) It is not the last word in detail- but that also allows you to listen to older recordings without notable fatigue. 3) It isolates well, but not great. You can wear it and listen to lower volumes with a person nearby and not bother them. However, it won’t help too much with significant ambient noise. Great for a quieter office environment, but not a loud one.

Highly recommended, and good luck with your search!

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #1,439 of 6,351
i am looking for a close and fairly portable cans, i did consider those anc ones but they don’t sound good on wired passive mode. is the Shure portable or any recommendation?
The Shure SRH-1540s do NOT fold up and while they isolate OK (not great, but that way you have SOME contact with traffic, for example) and are quite light/VERY comfortable, you would need significant space in your bag/backpack for the included hard case, which is pretty big.

Jan 18, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #1,440 of 6,351
i am looking for a close and fairly portable cans, i did consider those anc ones but they don’t sound good on wired passive mode. is the Shure portable or any recommendation?

Another Shure, a more recent and wireless model, the Shure Aonic 50 are portable, Bluetooth and reputed to sound also great in wired passive mode. They do have ANC but many users reported they sound better with ANC off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back