The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Aug 28, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #181 of 6,350
First a vote up for the Audio Technica ATH-A900x
For the last 2 weeks I exclusively listened to them and they are so all-round excellent for anything. There's a slight ringing every now and then but nothing annoying.
Their sound is so balanced that when coming from another pair your brain immediately is adjusted to their sound. This in stark contrast with the NightHawks and Owls.
Anyone who is considering to get a pair of NightHawsk or Owls: don't compare them side by side with any other pair of headphones, you will dismiss them.
Coming from the A900Xs the NightOwls, the most unfatiguing pair of headphones, are now the most fatiguing because my ears miss something and try to compensate and work harder to get what they effortlessly had the last 2 weeks. It really takes some time to get rid of this sensation.

Aug 28, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #182 of 6,350
Great thread , I like both open and closed backs for different reasons .
I have found 3-4 headphones that i use and are great for my taste depending my mood and music.
But there is 1 sound signature that i am looking and i cant find .... I am looking an Over ear headphone that sounds like Sennheiser HD25 until now nothing :frowning2: .
With this closed back thread and a lot of people having all these models maybe i found that answer after all these years.
For the life of me, I can't recall how the HD25 sounds. If I can get a hold of one, I can help you with a recommendation. Only thing is, where can I find one? :thinking:

Let me see if my local Sennheiser store still has a demo set. By the way, you're talking about the HD 25-1 II, right?

Aug 28, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #183 of 6,350
First a vote up for the Audio Technica ATH-A900x
For the last 2 weeks I exclusively listened to them and they are so all-round excellent for anything. There's a slight ringing every now and then but nothing annoying.
Their sound is so balanced that when coming from another pair your brain immediately is adjusted to their sound. This in stark contrast with the NightHawks and Owls.
Anyone who is considering to get a pair of NightHawsk or Owls: don't compare them side by side with any other pair of headphones, you will dismiss them.
Coming from the A900Xs the NightOwls, the most unfatiguing pair of headphones, are now the most fatiguing because my ears miss something and try to compensate and work harder to get what they effortlessly had the last 2 weeks. It really takes some time to get rid of this sensation.
I agree. The 'Night' twins from AudioQuest are quite polarizing headphones - they also require a period of adjustment time to enjoy, I feel. Almost any headphone that is contrasted with these 2 will be (initially) perceived as clearer, brighter, more resolving, and also more detailed.

Aug 28, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #184 of 6,350
For the life of me, I can't recall how the HD25 sounds. If I can get a hold of one, I can help you with a recommendation. Only thing is, where can I find one? :thinking:

Let me see if my local Sennheiser store still has a demo set. By the way, you're talking about the HD 25-1 II, right?
Yes HD25 - 1 II are the same ... It would be nice to tell us.... A lot of people want to know .

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #185 of 6,350
Yes HD25 - 1 II are the same ... It would be nice to tell us.... A lot of people want to know .
Sure, if I manage to get my hands on one, I'll let you know. The last time I tried one was many years ago, back when I was hunting for a DJ headphone (~2014 or so).

Aug 29, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #186 of 6,350
I think you summed up how I feel about the NightOwls perfectly. It is always very weird adjusting back to the NightOwl. While I don't necessarily hate them and I do like them, coming from another headphone and going to the NightOwl always feels like something is missing. And that is probably why I use the NightOwls least often among my headphones - I just like to swap between my phones' too much, so when the NightOwl's turn comes up, I can't adjust to the sound enough anymore.

Still the comfiest headphone I've ever worn though.

Aug 29, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #187 of 6,350
Thanks! Will keep the newer pads in mind.

I hope that I can arrange some demo units to try out and get a better feel for the differences in tuning and levels of performance. I am used to high-end IEMs and my favourites for classical are the DITA Dream XLS, which come in at well over $2k. So a friend of mine warned me that because I have become quite critical when listening to classical music, any desktop setup should be up to scratch or I will likely not be inclined to use it. Hence including headphones like the Eikon.

Other headphones that might be interesting are the TAGO Studio T3-01:
1598606776009.png
Came across them at a store in Amsterdam: https://www.headphoneauditions.nl/product/tago-studio-t3-01/
Those Tago's are beautiful. And the earcup shape seems very reminiscent of sennheiser so from a comfort perspective that looks appealing!

Soundwise, what did you think of them?

It seems like there is next to no reviews of these beauties, which is a shame :frowning2:

Aug 29, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #188 of 6,350
Those Tago's are beautiful. And the earcup shape seems very reminiscent of sennheiser so from a comfort perspective that looks appealing!

Soundwise, what did you think of them?

It seems like there is next to no reviews of these beauties, which is a shame :frowning2:
I think they look very good as well! I have not heard them yet though. I spoke to the guy who imports them from Japan and hope I can demo them at some point, but the store is a 2 to 3-hour journey from where I live and I just got a puppy, so I won't be able to go there any time soon.

Aug 29, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #189 of 6,350
I think you summed up how I feel about the NightOwls perfectly. It is always very weird adjusting back to the NightOwl. While I don't necessarily hate them and I do like them, coming from another headphone and going to the NightOwl always feels like something is missing. And that is probably why I use the NightOwls least often among my headphones - I just like to swap between my phones' too much, so when the NightOwl's turn comes up, I can't adjust to the sound enough anymore.

Still the comfiest headphone I've ever worn though.
But still they are my favorite pair, because when finally adjusted to their sound they give me the most undistorted, unfatiguing pleasure. Sound-stage wise they are something special as well, not when I come directly from the A900Xs or the D5000s for instance, then their soundscape is too laid back, cramped and muffeld. It is just too weird. It only takes some time and some passive effort on my part for them to be the best pair I own. Am I fooling myself? I listen to them right now and I can't fault them for anything, they are just perfect. With other pairs, while enjoying them I still can spot some peaks, some grain or ringing at times, it doesn't bother me, but it is obvious. None of this with the Hawks and the Owls.
I guess the best way to enjoy them is to never listen to something else again, but unfortunately I have to take care of them, apparantly their rubber parts won't last very long...

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #190 of 6,350
The HD 25 is about as straight in your face as they come. The only difference is that this one is tolerable, and somehow remains rather musical. There is literally no distance between your ears and the drivers, while the phone locks onto your melon. No doubt it can become fatiguing, especially if you're sensitive to this type of presentation. I had one for a few years. It was go to gym cans. Drink a solid pre workout 30 minutes before your destination, place headphones on head, and get growing. It's a good option for hard rock, but a bit too much for metal - speedy and heavy songs. Where it really lacks is headroom / Soundstage. Instrument separation / positioning isn't all that bad. It's not a detail monster by any means. The low end is relatively quick, snappy, and has some good kick. Sub bass is definitely present, mid bass does not interject into other frequencies... No bloom from what I can recall. Kicks and snares sound alive. Mids are forward, but not over cooked. Guitars sound quite nice if you like that forwardness - like your standing in the opposite corner of a bedroom, across from Wolf Hoffman...Not very spacious at all. Treble and upper mids ride that line between tolerable and fatiguing. Of course, the louder you listen, that can change depending on the individual. I say they can rock if you like a moderately plus aggressive presentation. These are drivers I'd really like to here inside a different headphone platform. Add some additional space, air and detail, and these would be pretty popular imo. In the end, they're just too dang uncomfortable, which is why I sold them, along with my other on ears.

Aug 29, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #191 of 6,350
As for the NightOwl, at 1st I thought it was dreamy. Turns out, it really was. Put you right to sleep in no time. Good for unwinding, but I didn't find them engaging enough. Too dark and distant. More distant than dark. I prefer a more energetic and emotive experience.

Aug 29, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #192 of 6,350
As for the NightOwl, at 1st I thought it was dreamy. Turns out, it really was. Put you right to sleep in no time. Good for unwinding, but I didn't find them engaging enough. Too dark and distant. More distant than dark. I prefer a more energetic and emotive experience.
Yes, that's how I felt when I listened to the NightOwl Carbon - it was silky smooth, with a sweet layer of velvety goodness drizzled all over. It resembled the MDR-Z1R in certain facets, notably the lush, thick sound; however, it lacked the Sony's exceptional treble sparkle. The NightOwl Carbon headphone is certainly an acquired taste - if you love a non-fatiguing, polished sound, it's definitely one of the best options. There's nothing quite like it in the flagship headphone space, at this current time (and probably never again).

Aug 31, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #194 of 6,350
All these amazing ATH flagship headphones are making me envious! Still, quite happy with my ageing ATH-ES10. Mods include MMCX connectors, ISN cables, Vesper Audio pads, and a ZMF Pilot Pad.

IMG_20200822_154230_044.jpg
How good are the Vesper Audio pads! Here's my ATH-ESW9 with Vesper Audio pads and headband, and the only other closed headphone I've ever got along with; DT770 80ohm.
5atHEIM.jpg

The ESW9 with these pads have the most incredible bass I've heard from a headphone. Been seriously considering a pair of Darth Beyers when/if Larry from headphile begins taking orders again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back