The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Oct 1, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #5,086 of 6,351
would you say that if you take away the closed-back isolation aspect, Stealth doesn't bring much sonic change to an HD800s owner?
I mean HD800s are amazing and that may be what I am after.

However I am really curious what you mean by "better compliment". Could you elaborate please?

Also did you listen to any other usual suspects in the closed back form factor before getting ZMF VC and then Stealth?
There are significant sonic differences between the HD800s and the Stealth — the latter has more bass and less treble; while the soundstage is excellent on the Stealth it’s not really at the level of HD800s. However I find that I enjoy the same genres on the Stealth that I do on the HD800s (classical, jazz). The VCs are more complementary in the sense that they are just a warmer, punchier headphone that lends itself better to other genres.

I am not really into buying/returning/reselling so no I have not tried a wide range of closed backs. I did try the Celestee and DCA Noire but both had some drawbacks to them. Essentially I probably would’ve just stuck to the HD800s, but I really needed the isolation and after I got the VCs I felt that a more neutral headphone like the Stealth would work well to complement it, which it did.

Oct 1, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #5,087 of 6,351
The T5 are also very good with EQ, which I use to tidy things up between low and mid bass... Though as mentioned, they are also enjoyable without any EQ.

getting them used (not new price) and I think they are great value since they are also bulletproof.

Would you be willing to post or PM your EQ settings for me? I generally prefer to use headphones without EQ, but I'm always down to try anything with a pair if it has potential to let me enjoy them more.

Oct 2, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #5,088 of 6,351
It's actually remarkable how much closed backs vary in sound signature and presentation. I think they're far more variable than open backs, because each manufacturer has a different approach to closing off the driver, venting it, and so on, leading to various alterations in the sound.

Tonight I've been comparing the P9 to the Stellia. Wow. It is such a different experience I don't know where to begin, it's chalk and cheese comparisons like this which make the hobby so fun. The P9, unbalanced, warm, overbearing in the bass, incredible timbre which makes vocals sound real and human.

Stellia, eons ahead in imaging, much better detail presentation, spreads the sound out completely differently. Vocals sound completely different, I mean that, it's like a different recording. The way details hold place in the stage on Stellia makes P9 look clumsy, P9 shoves everything together in a hot mess, and hides it behind a wall of bass.

The Stellia trounce the P9 badly for EDM. Really badly. P9 regain ground on vocal heavy tracks, and better Stellia in some passages due to the warmer, more natural vocals. But overall the P9 have fatal flaws which come through on some tracks, namely the overbearing bass.

Attachments

• Stellia.jpg
    Stellia.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Oct 2, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #5,089 of 6,351
It's actually remarkable how much closed backs vary in sound signature and presentation. I think they're far more variable than open backs, because each manufacturer has a different approach to closing off the driver, venting it, and so on, leading to various alterations in the sound.

Tonight I've been comparing the P9 to the Stellia. Wow. It is such a different experience I don't know where to begin, it's chalk and cheese comparisons like this which make the hobby so fun. The P9, unbalanced, warm, overbearing in the bass, incredible timbre which makes vocals sound real and human.

Stellia, eons ahead in imaging, much better detail presentation, spreads the sound out completely differently. Vocals sound completely different, I mean that, it's like a different recording. The way details hold place in the stage on Stellia makes P9 look clumsy, P9 shoves everything together in a hot mess, and hides it behind a wall of bass.

The Stellia trounce the P9 badly for EDM. Really badly. P9 regain ground on vocal heavy tracks, and better Stellia in some passages due to the warmer, more natural vocals. But overall the P9 have fatal flaws which come through on some tracks, namely the overbearing bass.
Very interesting! I can’t recall the price of the P9, but I would imagine that the price difference matches this pretty well?

Oct 2, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #5,090 of 6,351
Very interesting! I can’t recall the price of the P9, but I would imagine that the price difference matches this pretty well?
Pretty much, P9 were a $900 headphone, so a third the price. It's always interesting to put diminishing returns to the test, especially for cheap skates like me. And it's always disappointing to see they're not as diminishing as one might hope lol.

For reference I'd say the Celestee gets closer to Stellia overall, but scores no points against it. It's worse in every way, markedly, whereas the P9 does have that brilliant timbre going for it.

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #5,091 of 6,351
Pretty much, P9 were a $900 headphone, so a third the price. It's always interesting to put diminishing returns to the test, especially for cheap skates like me. And it's always disappointing to see they're not as diminishing as one might hope lol.

For reference I'd say the Celestee gets closer to Stellia overall, but scores no points against it. It's worse in every way, markedly, whereas the P9 does have that brilliant timbre going for it.
Having compared the ZMF Eikon to the Stellia (until yesterday I owned both), and in some ways I think of the Eikon as a “mini-Stellia”… only in some ways, of course- as they are vastly different in many ways. But the Eikon is an amazing, underrated headphone and it is really something with the right gear. And you can find one used for $700-800 (!) these days, or get a new set for $1,300 from ZMF.

Then again, I am replacing the Stellia with the Verité Closed, which I figure will be a “not-so-mini Stellia”… (I’m changing because I’m in a committed relationship with my Woo WA2, and the Stellia wasn’t a great match).

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #5,092 of 6,351
There are significant sonic differences between the HD800s and the Stealth — the latter has more bass and less treble; while the soundstage is excellent on the Stealth it’s not really at the level of HD800s. However I find that I enjoy the same genres on the Stealth that I do on the HD800s (classical, jazz). The VCs are more complementary in the sense that they are just a warmer, punchier headphone that lends itself better to other genres.

I am not really into buying/returning/reselling so no I have not tried a wide range of closed backs. I did try the Celestee and DCA Noire but both had some drawbacks to them. Essentially I probably would’ve just stuck to the HD800s, but I really needed the isolation and after I got the VCs I felt that a more neutral headphone like the Stealth would work well to complement it, which it did.
What are your thoughts on the HD820? I'd love to give them a try.

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #5,094 of 6,351
Haven’t tried them — from what I understand, great soundstage but really weird frequency response. Not sure if fixable with EQ.

For as much as I like the HD800S, I REALLY disliked the HD820. I found its tonal oddities to be distracting and fatiguing and never could find adeauate solutions. The HD820s ended up being a catch and release resale for me.

Edit: The AKG K872 is the closed back option that I found to fill the roll that the HD820s couldn't. Anyone interested in the HD820s might want to take a look at them.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #5,096 of 6,351
Well... I guess I could spare a few hours to try the various poisons on offer at the Pan Pacific, right? After all, what could go wrong?

- Famous last words before being roasted in a kiln by the angry wife
This was the last Malevolent's post. Was it precognitive? :cry:

Editing: I took a look again to his profile and this was his last post.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #5,099 of 6,351
Should we form a Head-Fi special ops group, dedicated to liberating our beloved members from their angry spouses?

The Special Head-Fi Service is born.

We ship out at 0300 hours, boys. Double check your bergens; we're gonna need all the cans we can muster.

Oorah!
Will be a very difficult task with current prices of the high-end market :rolling_eyes:

Oct 5, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #5,100 of 6,351
Looks like I slept through our deployment time... binging The Terminal List while quaffing multiple glasses of white wine provided me with the initial enthusiasm to be part of a special ops team, and the subsequent reminder of my lack of enthusiasm for early starts :sweat_smile: I hope @Terriero or @Nostoi at least made it out for some reconnaissance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back