The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Mar 13, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #4,231 of 6,351
I sold it last night within hours of listing. The list price in Canada is $1,299.00 and I sold it for $600.00, plus shipping.
Hard to believe how much they changed the sound from second gen to third gen. And I didn't care for either.

On the upside, I am finally making headway on thinning the herd. That is my third set sold in 5 or 6 weeks.
Yeah, I was taken aback when I auditioned the new T5 for the very first time. I was expecting a (slightly) reined-in version of the T5p (2nd Gen), with a modest boost in overall technical performance. Thus, imagine my surprise when I heard the headphone in its current incarnation - the heavy skew towards the low end, and the utter loss in treble energy was quite the departure from their usual house sound.

I suppose anyone who diligently climbs the Beyerdynamic ladder - whether via ownership or simply through auditions - would not be sufficiently prepared to encounter the near-180-degree turnabout that the company took with the new T1 and T5 models.

Mar 13, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #4,232 of 6,351
Yeah, I was taken aback when I auditioned the new T5 for the very first time. I was expecting a (slightly) reined-in version of the T5p (2nd Gen), with a modest boost in overall technical performance. Thus, imagine my surprise when I heard the headphone in its current incarnation - the heavy skew towards the low end, and the utter loss in treble energy was quite the departure from their usual house sound.

I suppose anyone who diligently climbs the Beyerdynamic ladder - whether via ownership or simply through auditions - would not be sufficiently prepared to encounter the near-180-degree turnabout that the company took with the new T1 and T5 models.
Maybe dampenin that is not as thick would have been a solution?

Mar 13, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #4,233 of 6,351

That's the most diplomatic way of writing "wow, they really kinda sucked" I've ever read :p

I auditioned the new T1 2 weeks ago... and it was just bad.

Mar 13, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #4,234 of 6,351

Had you tried EQing either the T1 or the T5, or is even that, a lost cause?

Crinicle had written the following about the T5 g3, "Wibbly-wobbly midrange with far too liberal a bass boost makes for a terrible sound." I can't figure out why acclaimed reviewer Brent Butterworth, had liked them.

Think I'm going to be looking at the Kennerton Rognir dynamic, or the ZMF Verite closed: thank you for helping me avoid making an expensive mistake!

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #4,235 of 6,351

Crinicle had written the following about the T5 g3, "Wibbly-wobbly midrange with far too liberal a bass boost makes for a terrible sound." I can't figure out why acclaimed reviewer Brent Butterworth, had liked them.

Think I'm going to be looking at the Kennerton Rognir dynamic, or the ZMF Verite closed: thank you for helping me avoid making an expensive mistake!
I EQ'd the T5p.2's and it made them almost perfect. Then months later I bought the Elex's and lo and behold, they had the same sound as my EQ'd T5's. I laughed and sold the T5p.2's about a week later. The only reason I own a Schiit Loki was those headphones.:ksc75smile:

With the new ones, IME, there was nothing above the mids to play with. Beyer literally flipped 180 degrees between generations.

Mar 13, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #4,236 of 6,351

I have EQ'd them, as well as played with them stock, and with the new dampening baffle removed (very easy to do).

For what it's worth, I have come to enjoy them quite a bit, though most often with a tiny bit of EQ. Even when comparing with more resolving/detailed competitors like the Noire, I do come back to the T5 for enjoyment.

Mar 13, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #4,237 of 6,351
I have EQ'd them, as well as played with them stock, and with the new dampening baffle removed (very easy to do).

For what it's worth, I have come to enjoy them quite a bit, though most often with a tiny bit of EQ. Even when comparing with more resolving/detailed competitors like the Noire, I do come back to the T5 for enjoyment.
The new T1 and T5 are not for everyone. They both have distinct sound signatures and aren't everyone's cup of tea. I personally love both stock, but what I noticed is many either love or hate them.

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #4,238 of 6,351
It's so quiet around here... just waiting for some good news I guess... which are scarce right now. But I do have something nice for me personally: I managed to find an M-100 in matte black, in sealed box unopened. Took me months of searching around, and now 3 weeks of negotiations and nudging, but yesterday it finally arrived :)
Its still a mystery to me how anybody could find the original pads comfortable... and yes, it sounds just like my white one... but that is besides the point: this is just the color scheme I like best.
I have several pairs of XL pads (keeping stock), but maybe I'll wait for the second one that should arrive next week. That one will be a used one, but in good condition with XL pads already mounted.
Keeping with my desire to limi headcount, some others will have to go... namely the SRH840A and most probably the DT700X. If there's anybody living in EU who wants to give those a try, PM me.
Meanwhile I'll live happily in my V-Moda enhanced audio world. They are not only a really nice trip down memory lane (my original pair was with me on lots of trips and some very nice gigs, and I still love their sound signature. A bass head can done with taste. It's just fun to listen to, getting involved with the music and forgetting about the technical means of transportation.
D0017D2C-F555-4DE6-A1D2-3D4140978849.jpegCCE946B7-EB30-44CE-A0C6-65BFB2CF485C.jpegE6DBB541-EEC6-404D-B08A-545D7677B29C.jpeg36C46FDE-4578-4E84-BB0B-981FB477C548.jpeg5BAECFC2-C77F-49E7-B983-A8D858E212F2.jpeg2D5B8F06-ECF9-438B-8F4C-B7787824685A.jpeg

Mar 18, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #4,239 of 6,351
That's the most diplomatic way of writing "wow, they really kinda sucked" I've ever read :p

I auditioned the new T1 2 weeks ago... and it was just bad.
He is really good at diplomacy, where I kinda just vomit it "they suck".

Mar 19, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #4,240 of 6,351
Mar 19, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #4,241 of 6,351
It's so quiet around here... just waiting for some good news I guess... which are scarce right now.
Thanks for the update on your V-Modas! I’ve always admired their design, even if it’s a little in the modern side for me.

Never mind me, I’m just sitting over here worrying that ZMF Eikons will be all gone on the pre-owned market by the time I’ve scraped together funds for a pair. 🙄 Such a privileged situation and problem, honestly.

Mar 20, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #4,242 of 6,351
It's so quiet around here... just waiting for some good news I guess... which are scarce right now.

Well, the good news for my bank account is that since acquiring the Rognir Dynamic and Stellia, I have all but stopped looking at closed back cans. I still follow this thread but am fairly confident I'm at my closed back end game.

Mar 21, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #4,243 of 6,351
Thanks for the update on your V-Modas! I’ve always admired their design, even if it’s a little in the modern side for me.

Never mind me, I’m just sitting over here worrying that ZMF Eikons will be all gone on the pre-owned market by the time I’ve scraped together funds for a pair. 🙄 Such a privileged situation and problem, honestly.
The Eikons won't vanish... if you plan on buying one, maybe keep contact with some current owners -- might just happen that the timing is right at some time :)

Mar 21, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #4,244 of 6,351
Well, the good news for my bank account is that since acquiring the Rognir Dynamic and Stellia, I have all but stopped looking at closed back cans. I still follow this thread but am fairly confident I'm at my closed back end game.
Always nice to hear that someone has reached audio heavens. Best thing to do would of course be to delete the head-fi account and never look back :wink:
The overwhelming number of new models makes it hard to appreciate what we already have: and closed back headphones did reach a very respectable level of audio reproduction within the past few years, a level one can very well live with for many years I think.

Mar 21, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #4,245 of 6,351

Users who are viewing this thread

Back