The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jan 15, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #3,601 of 6,351
I ended up repurchasing the Z1R and I have to admit I am enjoying them the second time around in the last 2 months lol. I think I’m going to sell my original, gently used Mahogany TH-X00’s with brand new TH-610 pads and dekoni rings.

Those THX00’s are def faster, punchier and dig deeper then the Z1Rs. I’m looking for something more relaxed, less intense and more refined. I believe the Z1Rs fit this bill.
It’s funny, sometimes this musical journey teaches us what we miss as well as what we like! I be sold and re-bought both an amp model (Violectric V200) and headphones (Focal Elear), and been happier as a result. Thankfully there were no major expenses lost. 😊
And great learnings came out of out.

Jan 15, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #3,602 of 6,351
Got my Nightowls in today, trying out some different pads I have laying around. This is the 3rd separate time I've owned a pair of these, so I probably should just resist the urge to sell them when it hits this time. They're just comfortable, physically and sonically.

20220115_151546.JPG
How do you get other earpads for the Nightowl? Aside from being curious how it might change sound signature, I'm also concerned about getting replacement pads in the future when the ones I have degrade.

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #3,603 of 6,351
How do you get other earpads for the Nightowl? Aside from being curious how it might change sound signature, I'm also concerned about getting replacement pads in the future when the ones I have degrade.

You can use the mounting plates from the stock pads to fit a bunch of 3rd party pads. Since the plates are not glued to the stock pads like they are on some headphones it's easy to switch back. Works best with oval shaped pads, but the ones in my picture are actually round Dekoni pads made for Beyerdynamic headphones.

20220115_172130.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #3,604 of 6,351
Very true... I have my little corner which I posted here and the rest of my house is for them (toys, Pokemon cards, puzzles and so on...)
@Nostoi, I took some photos today (of the Denon AH-D 9200s that I'm going to put in the classifieds to trade for the Z1Rs and the packaging process of one headphone stand I sold), and then I saw my child desk and took another pic of it... You can see, he takes seriously the slogan: "Gotta catch 'em all" :scream::fearful: :rolling_eyes:

Cartas-Pokemon.jpg

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #3,605 of 6,351
You can use the mounting plates from the stock pads to fit a bunch of 3rd party pads. Since the plates are not glued to the stock pads like they are on some headphones it's easy to switch back. Works best with oval shaped pads, but the ones in my picture are actually round Dekoni pads made for Beyerdynamic headphones.

20220115_172130.JPG
Are there any pads that would be better or provide a different and fun sound signature?

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #3,606 of 6,351
Are there any pads that would be better or provide a different and fun sound signature?

Haven't done a lot of testing yet, nothing I have on hand is a clear improvement so far

Jan 16, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #3,607 of 6,351
Agree with a lot of this, I haven't tried tons of closed backs, but the Stellia is my favourite by some margin (even over the verite). Stellia really is a special headphone period, and the fact it's a closed back that can be driven off a smartphone just makes it an insane feat of engineering.

A lot of closed backs to me don't offer the full package, like the ZMF, i just wouldn't go on a walk with that. Or the LCD XC. But the Stellia is perfect for a jaunt, or a train ride, or w/e. I do think it's the perfect closed back, just the price is very, ahem, prohibitive.

Jan 16, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #3,608 of 6,351
Regarding Nighthawk/Nightowl: not going to buy one after selling all I once had several years ago, but how is the long term experience with the elastic parts (headband extension mechanism as well as those spiders fixing the cups to the headband)? I know the AKG mechanism failed after several years, and the elastic bands were hard to change there...

I recently felt an itch regarding the Z1R... looked around a bit and they seem to be sold out with several weeks expected delivery everywhere in EU. Given their age, I'd not be that surprised if a new model was on the horizon.

Recently had a close encounter with the new Shure Aonic 40. Nice headphone overall with a pleasing sound signature and good build. Unfortunately the headband proved problematic to me, it left me with a hotspot on top of my head due to its shape and rather minimal padding, so I sent it back. Anyway, I probably wouldn't have used it much... trying to keep my current set in rotation is a challenge already :wink: Anybody tried the new SRH840A already?

9C6F1C17-C621-43DD-AD14-9DA4A4781B55.jpeg3FACE282-019E-47A2-8535-8745F617FB3F.jpeg

Speaking of that, I took out my Austrian Audio Hi-X60 again yesterday, it does still sound excellent to me. And those deep cups are really comfortable... Would just love a Bluetooth version.
EF166128-300D-4249-9350-07E1FA17B4AB.jpeg

Jan 16, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #3,609 of 6,351
I recently felt an itch regarding the Z1R... looked around a bit and they seem to be sold out with several weeks expected delivery everywhere in EU. Given their age, I'd not be that surprised if a new model was on the horizon.
It's been like that for the last two years. For some reason supply is always an issue in Europe. The availability seems to be better in other regions. I would not read anything into it.

Jan 16, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #3,610 of 6,351
@Malevolent, on this topic of bass head headphones, where do you put the Gjallarhorns in comparison to some of the other headphones mentioned? The Gjallarhorns are certainly the most bass heavy pair I own but I don’t have a lot of exposure to Fostex et al.
Hmm, actually, I completely forgot about the Gjallarhorn GH 50 when I wrote the relevant post.

To be frank, the Gjallarhorn presents very good lows - it rivals the TH900 Mk2 in effortlessly blending quality and quantity. There's rumble, impact, extension, separation, and texture. The usual suspects are out in full force with the Kennerton headphone. The mid-bass is certainly boosted, but it isn't grossly overstated; rather, the Gjallarhorn provides a robust and vigorous kick when your track/song requires a serving of bass to spice up the music.

However, as with the aforementioned T5 (3rd Generation), the Gjallarhorn GH 50 is a dark(er) headphone; the highs aren't very prominent here. Rather, treble is restrained, with a distinct lack of peaks.

Thus, if you are in the market for a dark headphone with a solid low-end presentation, the available choices are few and far between - there's the Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation), the Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50, and the AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon. Sadly, the latter option has been discontinued for some time now, so the surviving flag bearers for the "Dark and Bassy" category are now limited to 2.

Jan 16, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #3,611 of 6,351
@Nostoi, I took some photos today (of the Denon AH-D 9200s that I'm going to put in the classifieds to trade for the Z1Rs and the packaging process of one headphone stand I sold), and then I saw my child desk and took another pic of it... You can see, he takes seriously the slogan: "Gotta catch 'em all" :scream::fearful: :rolling_eyes:

Cartas-Pokemon.jpg
That's dedication! At least it looks somewhat self-contained and organised. Our situation is more like a gradual but sprawling colonisation....

Jan 16, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #3,612 of 6,351
Agree with a lot of this, I haven't tried tons of closed backs, but the Stellia is my favourite by some margin (even over the verite). Stellia really is a special headphone period, and the fact it's a closed back that can be driven off a smartphone just makes it an insane feat of engineering.

A lot of closed backs to me don't offer the full package, like the ZMF, i just wouldn't go on a walk with that. Or the LCD XC. But the Stellia is perfect for a jaunt, or a train ride, or w/e. I do think it's the perfect closed back, just the price is very, ahem, prohibitive.

You actually take your Stellia out for train rides and the like? :eyes:

Woah, you have my respect, mate!

I wouldn't dare to be seen in public with most of my headphones. For 2 simple reasons, 1 being more pertinent -
  1. I'm afraid it will be nicked (10%)
  2. I'm afraid it will get damaged (90%)
I'm a clumsy oaf at the worst of times, and I can foresee myself bumping into a wall when I'm using a headphone, even when stationary (e.g. at a coffee joint). I couldn't bear the thought of scratching any of my headphones, so, there. :neutral_face:

Jan 16, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #3,613 of 6,351

Cartas-Pokemon.jpg
This looks like my own Magic: The Gathering collection. :sweat_smile:

Sadly, I've never been into Pokemon, not even when the Pokemon GO craze was in full swing. I distinctly remember throngs of people flooding the streets, hunting for a rare Pokemon or 2.

Jan 16, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #3,614 of 6,351
I haven’t yet found any of the high end closed backs, with frequency responses that bested my few favorite older closed back monitors:

1. BeyerDynamic DT250 channel-fixed, with felt rings and Yaxi ST-Pad-2-LR’s. Yaxi-2’s + felt rings make them circumaural, keep their great neutral mids and lower treble, yield slightly more air, and keeps nearly all of their shockingly great sub extension.

2. SONY MDR-V6 with BeyerDynamic DT250 Velour pads. Dt250velour pads tame the V-6 sibilance some without killing the bass like many other velour on-ear pads). I didn’t like the Yaxi-ST-Pad-2’s on any Sony’s as it decreased their bass too much, and amplified their sibilance.

3. SONY CD900ST with Yaxi ST-PAD-original. With stock pads, and Yaxi-2’s, they’re too bass shy, with the original Yaxi-ST-Pad, they’re much better, nearly identical with a needed tasteful-boost in lower bass.

If anyone has any recommendations for larger, better-staged, faster, more resolving closed-backs which have an overall neutral, leaning mid&upper-mid&lower-treble centric frequency response, I’d love to check them out.

Jan 16, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #3,615 of 6,351
You actually take your Stellia out for train rides and the like? :eyes:

Woah, you have my respect, mate!

I wouldn't dare to be seen in public with most of my headphones. For 2 simple reasons, 1 being more pertinent -
  1. I'm afraid it will be nicked (10%)
  2. I'm afraid it will get damaged (90%)
I'm a clumsy oaf at the worst of times, and I can foresee myself bumping into a wall when I'm using a headphone, even when stationary (e.g. at a coffee joint). I couldn't bear the thought of scratching any of my headphones, so, there. :neutral_face:
I’ve been thinking about this for future (post-pandemic) travel and bus commuting, etc. and would love to use a pair of Elegias with improved pads for that type of situation. With my fondness for Focals (and ZMFs, but weight/price/wood fragility = no) they would be a great travel headphone. I guess we’ll see if there are any Elegias in circulation once things become more stable.

(So far I’ve always used Shure IEMs with custom ear inserts, but even custom-fitted inserts get a bit uncomfortable after several hours on a flight. That said, the noise-blocking IS excellent…)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back