The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jul 2, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #2,026 of 6,351
Just got a new closed-back, ended up trying out the Audio Technica ATH-A990Z. Initial impressions is this may be one of if not my favorite closed-back I’ve owned, I will post in the future if I still feel the same after spending a lot of time with it. It has a somewhat v-shaped sound but is notably darker than MSR7b (which sometimes had an unpleasant treble which ultimately led me to let it go) with more organic mids and a lot more body and punch. I’ll do a mini review after I spend more time with them.
9780B33D-A34B-4EB9-A276-AA4AD12997FF.jpeg

Jul 2, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #2,027 of 6,351
Just got a new closed-back, ended up trying out the Audio Technica ATH-A990Z. Initial impressions is this may be one of if not my favorite closed-back I’ve owned, I will post in the future if I still feel the same after spending a lot of time with it. It has a somewhat v-shaped sound but is notably darker than MSR7b (which sometimes had an unpleasant treble which ultimately led me to let it go) with more organic mids and a lot more body and punch. I’ll do a mini review after I spend more time with them.

If you like mids, try the ATH-W1000Z!

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #2,029 of 6,351
I didn’t like my ATH-A900X. They failed where the W1000Z excel- in the midrange.

Jul 2, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #2,030 of 6,351
the ATH-A990Z was one of the greatest disappointments I've heard.
Glad to see some do like em :)
What made them such a great disappointment? I guess their sound signature is something I enjoy a lot. I’m someone who loves the T1.3, so maybe that’s why I like them so much.

If you like mids, try the ATH-W1000Z!

I’ve been wanting to try those for a while actually. I do want to try more AT headphones, especially a lot of their closed backs. I did have a R70X in the past I loved but let it go due to comfort.

Jul 2, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #2,031 of 6,351
What made them such a great disappointment? I guess their sound signature is something I enjoy a lot. I’m someone who loves the T1.3, so maybe that’s why I like them so much.
Fit, isolation, overall sound. Sorry it's been a while since I had those. I know I didn't like them much. When looking at closed-backs my preferences so far seem to come down to either Dan Clark Audio and Beyerdynamic. Got the T5 gen3 after owning multiple T5p gen2 (not at the same time :wink:) and they have hit hard and far (is it a homerun? Too soon to tell).

Jul 2, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #2,032 of 6,351
Fit, isolation, overall sound. Sorry it's been a while since I had those. I know I didn't like them much. When looking at closed-backs my preferences so far seem to come down to either Dan Clark Audio and Beyerdynamic. Got the T5 gen3 after owning multiple T5p gen2 (not at the same time :wink:) and they have hit hard and far (is it a homerun? Too soon to tell).
The fit is definitely different and the isolation is indeed so so. Thankfully they fit well for me but I can see it causing problems for others. I can see their sound being hit or miss for people. Bad fit doesn’t help; bad fit imho can ruin the whole experience of a headphone. I generally like Beyer closed backs myself, I’ve owned a few; the ones I liked the most being the DT 150, DT 1770 Pro, and the DT 480 (current fav closed back but its modified and discontinued so it’s not viable option for most). Haven’t heard any Dan Clark Audio headphones. Ah I should be able to hear the T5.3 soon, a friend of mine got one so I’ll be able to audition them soon. I generally stick with open-backs on Beyers though.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #2,033 of 6,351
The fit is definitely different and the isolation is indeed so so. Thankfully they fit well for me but I can see it causing problems for others. I can see their sound being hit or miss for people. Bad fit doesn’t help; bad fit imho can ruin the whole experience of a headphone. I generally like Beyer closed backs myself, I’ve owned a few; the ones I liked the most being the DT 150, DT 1770 Pro, and the DT 480 (current fav closed back but its modified and discontinued so it’s not viable option for most). Haven’t heard any Dan Clark Audio headphones. Ah I should be able to hear the T5.3 soon, a friend of mine got one so I’ll be able to audition them soon. I generally stick with open-backs on Beyers though.

Have you gone off the DT48s, then?

(Still happily using a stock DT48E and recabled and repadded DT48A)….

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #2,034 of 6,351
Have you gone off the DT48s, then?

(Still happily using a stock DT48E and recabled and repadded DT48A)….

Oh no, I still use my DT 480 and it's my favorite headphone overall, it's just in the process of further modding, just trying to think what to do, maybe new pads. Also I do have a 200 Ohm one that sounds better than the 25 Ohm I use but sadly it has a bass rattle I can't seem to fix as it seems driver related, I took the magnet, off, etc. to see what it is but can't figure out what's causing it, so I'm a bit bummed about it as it produces a lot more bass presence/impact (the 25 ohm lacks some no matter what) and is notably more detailed and resolving.

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #2,035 of 6,351
Oh no, I still use my DT 480 and it's my favorite headphone overall, it's just in the process of further modding, just trying to think what to do, maybe new pads. Also I do have a 200 Ohm one that sounds better than the 25 Ohm I use but sadly it has a bass rattle I can't seem to fix as it seems driver related, I took the magnet, off, etc. to see what it is but can't figure out what's causing it, so I'm a bit bummed about it as it produces a lot more bass presence/impact (the 25 ohm lacks some no matter what) and is notably more detailed and resolving.
Isn’t the DT480 basically a DT48 driver in a DT100 frame?

I‘m sure it won’t reach the level of midrange transparency of the DT48A, though. They may have attenuated frequency extremes, but they blow my Stax Lambdas into the weeds in the mids…

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #2,036 of 6,351

I‘m sure it won’t reach the level of midrange transparency of the DT48A, though. They may have attenuated frequency extremes, but they blow my Stax Lambdas into the weeds in the mids…
Yes it is, never actually owned the DT 48, I have heard them a few times and my experience they are even more transparent in the mids. I'm not sure if I can handle the comfort though.

I don't think it will, but it's still the same driver and can produce incredible sound. But none of my headphones compare to my DT 480 in terms of mids, nothing. Nothing seems to have the same clarity, body, texture, detail, nuance, and transparency of the mids. Only headphones that truly have the "you're there effect in terms of vocals and mids" I've owned. Not to mention their fantastic imaging and sheer effortlessness of sound. I use them for pure music listening sessions, I tend to wear headphones for many hours at a time due to being a gamer and watching a lot of shows/movies with headphones on so they aren't my most used headphone. Like my RR 1 Conquest they are a special treat I use more for heavy music listening sessions.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #2,037 of 6,351

Are you the one with the WBA TZAR hooked up to that bad boy with custom cables?

The 480 is not just the 48 in a frame, but the backplates are off, and it's got more voluminous space to breathe yet still hermetically sealed. It's more music friendly with certain mods. But the 48 is more deeper into the mix in the context of analyzing the music as uncoloured as possible. All the 48/480 with different impedance have different sound characteristics.

Jul 3, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #2,038 of 6,351
Yup, that’s me. Probably the only headfier driving 5 Ohm cans with an OTL (but it works!)…

3F009C71-BA10-48EE-A3C0-0F1415C130B5.jpeg
6C9C0C75-7C1E-41D2-9031-2B94C3C917C4.jpeg

Jul 3, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #2,040 of 6,351
Not at all, but they give an uncanny midrange transparency. It’s as if the source is wired directly into your brain…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back