The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Apr 9, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #1,741 of 6,351
It's midnight here in ol' Blighty and this time of night mandates a particular kind of music; tech house! My reliable incumbents, the NightOwls, never fail to deliver on the meaty, palpable lows I require from EDM. I think a chasm in the closed-back market was left when AudioQuest vacated the headphone business. Whilst they tended to be more divisive than others (although less so still than their original brethren the Hawk) I fail to think of a better offering in the sub £600 - going on RRP alone - bracket that can remotely offer what the Owl does. I've heard many vegans that sound less organic than the Owls - and all of them less coherent :wink:
Also midnight here, in the canary islands. We are both in the same time slot :beerchug: For me is time to listen to "Theatre of tragedy - And when he falleth" with the AH-D9200... Incredible song, and even better with these HPs :L3000:

Apr 9, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #1,742 of 6,351
Ha, you enticed me. I was allured further by the album art... but couldn't make it past 1:15 unfortunately. Despite one of my favourite albums of all time being from Opeth, I've never been able to enjoy growling in Metal!

Give Opeth - Damnation a go. It's a unique production with an unparalleled ambience. I'll warn you though, get your glass of tipple ready, because once you settle in to your comfy spot for a listen, you're not going anywhere for 43 minutes and 19 seconds.

Apr 9, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #1,743 of 6,351
I love the contrast in music (angelic female voice and grunt male voice), but also in classical or jazz (tracks with fast and slow parts...).

Recently, I have downloaded all Opeth discography in FLAC, but when I listened to "Blackwater park" was horrendous with the Denon's. I will give that album a try, thanks for the recommendation :beerchug:

Apr 9, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #1,744 of 6,351
I’m going full in on the TR-X00’s PHs since I love the sound so much and am always chasing for a better PH sound.
Just did the Lawton driver mode and got Ori Hybrid pads with dekoni attenuation rings. Loving it so far. The pads are soooo much more comfortable.

I emailed Mark Lawton and he is going to have some Purpleheart chambers in the next few months. My Super x00 PH’s will be complete

Apr 10, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #1,745 of 6,351
If you can find a pair of the AT’s I highly recommend giving them a go. They pretty rare compared to the denons so your unlikely to get much feedback on them. I had them for a week or so and was very impressed, detailed with very natural tone and pretty even handed across the range. I had a pair of the denon’s in my office for a couple of month and found the treble a little hot but otherwise pretty good, but they’re performance to my ears is very much inline with the price point and some way behind the VCs or the stellias. My money would be on the AT’s as a nice compliment to the radiance’s :)
Yea, the fact that the review for the AWAS are rare has definitely piqued my interest in them even more. Since I can get them new at the same price as an used d9200 ( around 900 USD) I think ill just go ahead a grab a pair :L3000:

Apr 10, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #1,746 of 6,351
I love the contrast in music (angelic female voice and grunt male voice), but also in classical or jazz (tracks with fast and slow parts...).

Recently, I have downloaded all Opeth discography in FLAC, but when I listened to "Blackwater park" was horrendous with the Denon's. I will give that album a try, thanks for the recommendation :beerchug:
Damnation is something special. Both music and production wise. Personal favourite is 'to rid the disease'.

Apr 10, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #1,747 of 6,351
Damnation is something special. Both music and production wise. Personal favourite is 'to rid the disease'.
Probably my favourite "Rock" album of the last 20 years. Such a masterpiece. I've listened to it so many time but every month I feel the need to listen again. Every track is great but my fav probably is 'Hope leaves'.

Apr 11, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #1,748 of 6,351
I loved my Stellia's, you know that, especially after the Signum + cable upgrade, they took on a totally different dynamism. After I reviewed the D9200 there have been so many questions of me I wish I hadn't sold the Stellia, so I could A/B.

Rob I am real hesitant to offer my opinion without a proper A/B. I would say with the cable upgrade, the Stellia owns the dynamics, but the resolution is very good on the D9200. I do think you chose the two areas the Stellia excels in.
In which areas does the D9200 excel in? Soundstage?

Apr 11, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #1,749 of 6,351
In which areas does the D9200 excel in? Soundstage?
Tonality and realism would be a couple of areas. The bass is really well done on the D9200 as well. I enjoyed the overall signature of the D9200 out of the box and the Stellia most certainly benefitted from some seasoning time. On an occasion I would pick up a slight metallicy presence in the Stellia. Stellia is less organic than D9200.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #1,751 of 6,351
Is D9200 much better than D72OO?
It's very much like comparing HD600 to HD650.
D7200 is a bit warmer/bassier than the D9200.
I actually preferred the D7200.

Apr 11, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #1,753 of 6,351
So the D9200 is not a real upgrade but just a different signature?
It is an upgrade, for sure.
But if you'll like it is another story. :wink:
It comes down to your preferences.

The D7200 is a more laid back typ of headphone and get my vote for long listening session, except the (for me) not so great headband.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #1,754 of 6,351
So the D9200 is not a real upgrade but just a different signature?
Hmmm, I went through the 7200 then Z1R then z7mk1 then z7mk2 then hd820 then 9200. All of them have run on the Sennheiser HDV820 and also from a wm1a.
I did hear a noticeable difference between the 9200 and the 7200.

The 9200 is faster, more transparent/effortless etc. The telling difference for me which I unfortunately can’t put a number on was that the 9200 felt like it removed itself between the music and the listener while the 7200 was extremely good but not quite that good.

I would be perfectly happy with either but then I’m also perfectly happy with a an hd650 so I don’t exactly have high expectations :).

Cheers,

Apr 11, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #1,755 of 6,351
I would be perfectly happy with either but then I’m also perfectly happy with a an hd650 so I don’t exactly have high expectations :).

In many ways the HD 600/650 are hard to beat for 5X the price. So maybe your expectations are higher than you think :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back