The Clash vs U2........cast your vote:)
Jul 29, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #16 of 26
Hmmm many U2 haters. They are my favourite band, so I voted for them. The Clash are okay. Some genre defining tracks but if I had to go with a really influential band, I'd go further back..The Who, The Ramones, Velvet Underground. U2 though, they perfected an art, reinvented themselves, perfected their once perfected art and are doing it again. They are like Madonna, love her or hate her, one has got to have respect for her. As for the Edge being overrated, why would anyone say this? The guy has so much respect from nearly EVERYONE in Rock and Roll. Not only does he have a great ear he's defined a sound and made it his own. That deserves respect. Anyhow...enough from this fan.

Jul 29, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #19 of 26
Clash fanatic, here. But I don't see much point in hatin' on U2. I can remember seeing them in a smaller room before they got huge, and what struck me then is that you could hear they wouldn't need to alter their sound one bit to play stadiums. As for influence, no one would dare cop U2's sound because it's so singular. It's like, the Edge owns that bit of sonic space, so a fascimile would just seem silly. And whatever we think of Bono's Nobel Prize aspirations, rock & roll could be a bit more humane sometimes, couldn't it?

And, btw, I still wonder how U2 would fair against the Police or R.E.M.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by hazamatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who is voting for U2? The Clash wins hands down!

Not so "hands down" when the vote is 37-31.

The Clash is just an alright band for me. Don't hate them, don't love them. U2 I enjoy listening to very much. However, I do not listen to any of their newer albums, just the old classics (War, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby).

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #22 of 26
Absolutely no contest (at least for me anyway).

U2 occasionally hit the spot but The Clash never fail.

Strummer and co. are probably the only band on the planet that I could listen to quite happily for hours on end (if forced to) .....using ibuds and a craptastic £3 mp3 player.

If I ever get so far into the audiophile thing that my scratched up Clash vinyl doesn't sound 'good' anymore .......please shoot me.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #23 of 26
I think highly of both bands, but I truly love the Clash. I saw them at the Tower Theater (Philadelphia) ca 1980, on the London Calling tour. Topper Headon was awake and alert, and they came out with fire in their eyes. When they tore into "Stay Free" (one of the encores), I thought the roof was going to fly off of the building.

Opening acts: the B Girls, R&B legend Lee Dorsey, and dub-toaster Mikey Dread, who did several numbers backed by the Clash after his solo set. A DJ spun cutting edge dub and punk between acts. One of the two or three best rock n roll shows I have ever seen.

I also saw them on the West Side Piers several years later. Unfortunately, by then they were getting pretty mainstream and starting to attract some major jerks to their shows. The opening act was Gregory Isaacs (reggae fans know who I'm talking about) and he was almost booed off the stage during his brief opening set. The moron next to me kept screaming "Get off the stage! We want the Clash! You suck!"

I thought of closing his mouth, but I didn't because I'm against cruelty to animals.

Major buzz kill.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #24 of 26
I voted for U2. Not a big fan though, but listened a lot to Joshua Tree many years ago. Never got into Clash.

Aug 19, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #26 of 26
This is actually a pretty fun one to read through. I don't hate U2, but not a big fan. The Clash all the way! How 'bout Joe and the Mescaleros? They put out a couple of great albums before his passing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back