The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Dec 29, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #991 of 2,420
The X1 is similar to the X5 in many ways. The main difference being that the X5 has dual micro sd card slots while the X1 only has one, besides this the X5 has a far better amp for listening out of the headphone Jack. If your going to using the Line Out Jack (which I assume you will with the Cayin C5) the X1 is a great buy.

Oh, really?

If i am just using line out it will not be much different from the X5? X5 is much more expensive than X1 for the sound difference not be that significative from line out...

Are you being serious? (Not kidding, this made me want to try X1...X5 is too expensive and i prefere to use Spotify...)

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #992 of 2,420
Oh, really?

If i am just using line out it will not be much different from the X5? X5 is much more expensive than X1 for the sound difference not be that significative from line out...

Are you being serious? (Not kidding, this made me want to try X1...X5 is too expensive and i prefere to use Spotify...)

The X1 still has some advantages that might make some prefer it. For example, it can be used as a DAC while the X1 cannot, and of course it's internal DAC is much better than the X1s so you'll get slightly better sound out of the line out. But if your not going to be using the DAC function of your PC or playing the highest quality music files, you might be better off with the X1.

As for spotify, I'm not sure if you can use it with the Fiio X1 as I've never heard of an app for it.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #993 of 2,420
All the good responses have got me curious. I am receiving my C5 tomorrow to pair with my AK100ii.  The Ak drives my SE846 nicely, but I got a pair of HE400i's and I think the C5 will give them a little more room to breathe. Keep ya posted. Dan

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #994 of 2,420
As much as it pains me to do this, I'm going to have to let my Cayin C5 go. I want to see what desktop amplifiers can do for my Sennheiser 650s, but I can't save up for one without selling my C5. I'm not leaving this amp forever though, as I do plan to purchase one again after I buy a decent DAP.

As for anyone on the fence about getting this amp, you can find mine on sale on the HeadFi forums here if interested: http://www.head-fi.org/t/748271/cayin-c5-high-powered-portable-amplifier

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #995 of 2,420
I do hope you try out the amp with the HE-500, I've been interested in that headphone for some time.

I gave it a sustained listen last night and was very surprised by the HE-500’s lack of synergy with the C5. Now, I don’t like to offer speculative, esoteric explanations of such phenomena since I don’t have a background in electrical engineering or acoustics. However, fwiw, I can say this. Because the HE-500 isn’t the most resolving of headphones – that is, doesn’t really provide a feast of detail – and because the C5 has a pronounced smooth signature, I think the pairing isn’t ideal. The HE-500 comes across as somewhat niggardly.

I want to point out, again, that I think the C5 is a truly exceptional amplifier. I now offer this caveat: It’s an exceptional amplifier with headphones that have a highly resolving signature. The issue with the HE-500 + C5 combo isn’t that the latter is lacking in power. The C5 can put more than enough wattage into the HE-500. But while there’s volume to spare, the sound doesn’t have enough texture to make the combination interesting – at least not when you could use the C5 with the Paradox Slants or Alpha Dogs, or the HE-500 with the Gustard H10. 

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #996 of 2,420
As much as it pains me to do this, I'm going to have to let my Cayin C5 go. I want to see what desktop amplifiers can do for my Sennheiser 650s, but I can't save up for one without selling my C5. I'm not leaving this amp forever though, as I do plan to purchase one again after I buy a decent DAP.

As for anyone on the fence about getting this amp, you can find mine on sale on the HeadFi forums here if interested: http://www.head-fi.org/t/748271/cayin-c5-high-powered-portable-amplifier

Ah, that's too bad. For the time being, at least. What desktop are you considering?

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #997 of 2,420
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Alpha Dogs with C5- I have Alpha Prims with NFB-15 and am thinking of getting C5 for downstairs listening. 

I can say this much: The Alpha Dog + C5 pairing is stellar. Highly recommended. I hope to give some more detailed reflections in the future.

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #999 of 2,420
I gave it a sustained listen last night and was very surprised by the HE-500’s lack of synergy with the C5. Now, I don’t like to offer speculative, esoteric explanations of such phenomena since I don’t have a background in electrical engineering or acoustics. However, fwiw, I can say this. Because the HE-500 isn’t the most resolving of headphones – that is, doesn’t really provide a feast of detail – and because the C5 has a pronounced smooth signature, I think the pairing isn’t ideal. The HE-500 comes across as somewhat niggardly.

I want to point out, again, that I think the C5 is a truly exceptional amplifier. I now want to offer this caveat: It’s an exceptional amplifier with headphones that have a highly resolving signature. The issue with the HE-500 + C5 combo isn’t that the latter is lacking in power. The C5 can put more than enough wattage into the HE-500. But while there’s volume to spare, the sound doesn’t have enough texture to make the combination interesting – at least not when you could use the C5 with the Paradox Slants or Alpha Dogs, or the HE-500 with the Gustard H10. 

Interesting. I've been curious about the HE-500 for a while now because of the excellent sub bass response of the drivers. Something that the 650s lack (despite their excellent bass reproduction). Of course I may give the 500s a chance once I get a desktop amplifier.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #1,000 of 2,420
Interesting. I've been curious about the HE-500 for a while now because of the excellent sub bass response of the drivers. Something that the 650s lack (despite their excellent bass reproduction). Of course I may give the 500s a chance once I get a desktop amplifier.

While the sub bass response on the 500s is among the best I've heard, it's a bit lean in the mid-bass. Something to keep in mind. In this respect, I find the HE-500 and the Alpha Dogs tonally similar, although I think the latter are far more resolving. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #1,002 of 2,420
Does anyone here know how well the Schiit Asgard 2 goes with the Sennheiser 650s? Also a comparison with the Cayin C5 would be useful.

I've certainly heard good things about the HD650 + H10 combo. The H10 is also easier to custom to a variety of headphones with its pregain settings. If I had an HD650, I'd run an H10/C5 playoff for you. I can say Schiit gear is solid. The new Magni 2 Über is suppoed to be damn important. And is $100 cheaper than the Asgard 2.

EDIT: Oh, and if you wanted to acquire an HE-500 in the future, I know that the H10 drives it excellently. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #1,003 of 2,420
I've certainly heard good things about the HD650 + H10 combo. The H10 is also easier to custom to a variety of headphones with its pregain settings. If I had an HD650, I'd run an H10/C5 playoff for you. I can say Schiit gear is solid. The new Magni 2 Über is suppoed to be damn important. And is $100 cheaper than the Asgard 2.

EDIT: Oh, and if you wanted to acquire an HE-500 in the future, I know that the H10 drives it excellently. 

My budget is in the $200-$300 range. Do you know of any other Amps that go well with the 650s?

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #1,004 of 2,420

My budget is in the $200-$300 range. Do you know of any other Amps that go well with the 650s?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261520921654?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l4467&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI261520921654.N19.S2.M-39449.R1.TR1. Just 50USD over your budget but with free expedited shipping via DHL. I bought from this guy and he's solid. Really, I don't know of any other amp that could best it. In your price range, and restricting ourselves to desktop amps, I'd say the H10 is THE amp. But don't just take my word for it. Check out http://www.head-fi.org/t/735828/gustard-h10-high-current-discrete-class-a-output-stage-headphone-amplifier. PM me with any other questions. I'll be thinking about OTL options.

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #1,005 of 2,420

Though, if I were you, then I would stretch my budget (because I always stretch my budget), and try one of Cayin's desktop amps. Like the HA-3! And then share your impressions! Then I'll finally know what it sounds like! lol. But there's also the Cayin HA-1A, which should work well with the HD650. Pollychen sells both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back