The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Jan 15, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #1,891 of 2,420
OK!! battery is showing signs of life!
Having plugged into a 2a charger for a further two hours, the low and medium led is now flashing. If I unplug the unit, the led indicators medium charge while is a improvement from not even turning on! 

Like mentioned use a 2A charger, also many people over look this. The cable you use is important as well. Some cheap USB cables will limit the amount of amps to the device charging.

Look on Australian eBay and pick a Remax USB cable for about $7, they're excellent sheathed USB cables promised to deliver the correct current.

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #1,892 of 2,420
But still I have yet to own a portable device that won't charge from a 1a battery when charged for 4 hours.
So essentially it has been charge for 4 hours from a 1a charge and nearly 3 hours from a 2a charge yet still the battery isn't yet close to full. Hmm still seems like a faulty.    

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #1,893 of 2,420
  But still I have yet to own a portable device that won't charge from a 1a battery when charged for 4 hours.
So essentially it has been charge for 4 hours from a 1a charge and nearly 3 hours from a 2a charge yet still the battery isn't yet close to full. Hmm still seems like a faulty.    

The battery inside Cayin C5 is quite big and needs a full 2A to charge at the right spec duration. For example, when I used a cheap USB cable trying to charge the Cayin amp the cable became really 'really' hot because its trying to draw more power than the cable could supply.

I have run tests using Samsung Galaxy app which tells me the correct amps my phone is charging at. Using different cables I have had anything from 500mAh, 800mAh and up to 1.2Amps ( still not enough for the amp you have to charge in the correct time).

So unless you know the cable you're using is supplying the correct amps it could take twice as long to fully charge at 1A and four times longer if the cable is only drawing 500mAh (same as USB port on your computer)

Here's the Remax cables promised to deliver a full 2.1A.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REMAX-1M-Super-Quick-Charger-Data-Micro-USB-Cable-for-Samsung-Huawei-HTC-Lenovo-/111772228407?hash=item1a0624db37:g:O~sAAOSwFnFV98ME

Goodluck.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #1,894 of 2,420

The battery inside Cayin C5 is quite big and needs a full 2A to charge at the right spec duration. For example, when I used a cheap USB cable trying to charge the Cayin amp the cable became really 'really' hot because its trying to draw more power than the cable could supply.

I have run tests using Samsung Galaxy app which tells me the correct amps my phone is charging at. Using different cables I have had anything from 500mAh, 800mAh and up to 1.2Amps ( still not enough for the amp you have to charge in the correct time).

So unless you know the cable you're using is supplying the correct amps it could take twice as long to fully charge at 1A and four times longer if the cable is only drawing 500mAh (same as USB port on your computer)

Here's the Remax cables promised to deliver a full 2.1A.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REMAX-1M-Super-Quick-Charger-Data-Micro-USB-Cable-for-Samsung-Huawei-HTC-Lenovo-/111772228407?hash=item1a0624db37:g:O~sAAOSwFnFV98ME

Goodluck.

Well if the c5 requires such specific charging requirements to charge effectively, maybe cayin should have supplied a wall charger instead of a silly carrying pouch.  

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #1,895 of 2,420
  Well if the c5 requires such specific charging requirements to charge effectively, maybe cayin should have supplied a wall charger instead of a silly carrying pouch.  

Its not a major problem providing you use a correct specd cable and 2A charger which are commonly found in households these days. Most Apple and Samsung USB wall chargers provide up to 2A. Nothing's going to break if you use less amps, its simply going to take longer.

tl/dr Make sure you use a 2A wall charger and cable able to supply a full 2A.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #1,896 of 2,420

Its not a major problem providing you use a correct specd cable and 2A charger which are commonly found in households these days. Most Apple and Samsung USB wall chargers provide up to 2A. Nothing's going to break if you use less amps, its simply going to take longer.

tl/dr Make sure you use a 2A wall charger and cable able to supply a full 2A.

OMG I'm so excited. The battery seems to be functioning properly after all!! 
The 3rd led is now blinking. Shouldn't be long now
wink_face.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #1,897 of 2,420
OMG I'm so excited. The battery seems to be functioning properly after all!! 
The 3rd led is now blinking. Shouldn't be long now :wink_face:  

There is no need to wait for the battery to be fully charged before you use the C5. The C5 is powered by Lithium battery, so there is no need to completely discharge or fully charge a Lithium battery to 100% at every charging cycle.

Unlike NiCad batteries, lithium-ion batteries do not have a charge memory. That means deep-discharge cycles are NOT required. In fact, the preferred pattern for Lithium battery is to adopt partial-discharge cycles and avoid over-charge. Take our mobile phone as example, the Lithium battery of a mobile phone will last longer if we start to recharge at around 2x% and stop charging at 90%, I was told this will extend the lifetime of the Lithium battery significantly,

Only after something like 10 to 15 charging cycle, conduct a deep drain to the last %, and then charge it up to 99% again. This occasional deep discharge practice will recalibration the battery measurement.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 15, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #1,899 of 2,420
I'd say just give it a listen, and see how long it takes for the battery to drain.  I don't remember the battery life off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone here can give an estimate.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #1,901 of 2,420
  I'd say just give it a listen, and see how long it takes for the battery to drain.  I don't remember the battery life off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone here can give an estimate.

But even if it somehow last the recommended hours on full charge I shouldn't have to live with a fault battery indicator right out of the box. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #1,902 of 2,420
But even if it somehow last the recommended hours on full charge I shouldn't have to live with a fault battery indicator right out of the box. 

Why dont you try to use it and charge it again a couple of times and see how it performs.....

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #1,903 of 2,420

Chillax.
When I got mine it did the same. Took a long time to charge, I mean way more than 4 hours. Just leave it it will eventually be full. It will get better over time. Mine is working well for years.

Cheers,
K

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #1,904 of 2,420
Chillax.
When I got mine it did the same. Took a long time to charge, I mean way more than 4 hours. Just leave it it will eventually be full. It will get better over time. Mine is working well for years.

Cheers,
K

This is what I thought I remembered about mine as well and also the reason I suggested for him to start using it. It's just that I'm to old to remember for certain :wink:

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #1,905 of 2,420
This is what I thought I remembered about mine as well and also the reason I suggested for him to start using it. It's just that I'm to old to remember for certain
wink.gif

Mine did the same - took forever to get the first charge full. Now it takes about 4 hrs. The type of cable does matter though, as has been explained ad nauseam already:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back