The Car/Motorcycle/Motorsport/Anything fast enough to do something stupid in thread!
Feb 14, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #782 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of people buy Dodge Vipers?

Anyway, prepare to throw up: BMW 5-Series GT Concept: Giving Bangle's Rear A Lift

BMW: What?

We were talking about this at work today, actually seems like a great idea. It's the car 90% of SUV buyers should buy. Has a tailgate for the home depot trips, but has the handling and fuel efficiency of a regular car. Too bad about the sloped cargo roof, I would kill for a station wagon with a real cargo space and a tailgate (I love that arrangement on my rover).

I might be picky since my main work responsibility is seat development, but BMW design group could've done a better job trimming those seats!

Feb 14, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #784 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure it does. That's why people with a midlife crisis buy it. They have the money, and they want the insane performance to make them feel young again. Personally I don't understand the point of blending in with all the other midlife crisis lemmings, but ... whatever. >shrug<

I had to smile at your interesting perspective. I am guessing you are well under 30 years old, and probably under 20?

You are correct in that it happens because people have the money, but for many people the truth is, they buy these so-called mid-life crisis toys around middle age simply because that is when they were best able to afford it. (Note, I did not write "purchase it"; I am talking about truly affording it.) My very good friend bought his Z06 last year at around age 39 only because he was finally able to pay cash for it at that time and not have any worries. It's simply smarter to not go into debt for a depreciating asset like a car, and for many people that takes a bit of working time.

As for feeling young again, that's often stated, but I don't buy it. Personally, my life now is nothing like it was when I was young, and for that I am extremely happy. I certainly did not purchase my own "mid-life crisis" car to capture any feelings from childhood, this I guarantee.

And as for your lemming comment- again, smart people buy when they can easily afford. Buying a nice car at around middle-age is no more acting like a lemming than buying your first car in your late teens, as so many here in the US do.
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #785 of 1,511
Im 25 soon, and I'll sure as hell would buy Corvette over any other super/sports car with same power range. Too bad I just dont have money for it, nothing to do with "midlife-crisis", its all about money and what one happens to like.

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #786 of 1,511
Vettes are great performance bargains, but I still personally view them as a bit junky. Cheap interiors, shoddy fiberglass paneling, etc. Plus, with GM being in the doghouse, they're not going to release a new model (C7 etc..) for quite a ways to come. However, give me an LS7 or LS9 crate motor, and I will be a happy camper. No replacement for displacement!

Speaking of which, what do you guys think of Audi switching to supercharged V6's for their A6/S4/RS4(probably) series? I kind of wish they had stuck to twin-turbos like with their old 2.7L V6 engines, but I guess there's less lag with a supercharger, and they claim better efficiency as well (not sure how that works..aren't superchargers mechanically driven, and therefore "on" all the time?).
112_0810_01z+2010_audi_s4+front_view.jpg

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #787 of 1,511
Quote:

Vettes are great performance bargains, but I still personally view them as a bit junky. Cheap interiors, shoddy fiberglass paneling, etc. Plus, with GM being in the doghouse, they're not going to release a new model (C7 etc..) for quite a ways to come. However, give me an LS7 or LS9 crate motor, and I will be a happy camper. No replacement for displacement!

...except compression says ricers, but who said you cant compress large displacement. Supercharged V8 *drools*.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, their plasticky parts are a real letdown in Corvettes (hell, why would GM butcher their most valuable car like that, I dont remember C4's being shoddily designed in the interiors though it has been a while since I was in one...), but it still looks good on the outside, sounds kickass and perfomance/price ratio excellent. That is what counts most too.

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #788 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...except compression says ricers, but who said you cant compress large displacement. Supercharged V8 *drools*.
smily_headphones1.gif

You can also massively compress a small displacement, although turbo lag is a killer. The F1 cars from the mid-to-late 1980's ran 1.5L turbo'ed engines @ 80PSI and made something like 1200 hp!

I agree about the Vettes as well. It's a real shame they're not updating the current model for a while, as a new interior, gearbox and some quality trim could really make it a world-class sports car for far less cash than anything else out there.

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #789 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(not sure how that works..aren't superchargers mechanically driven, and therefore "on" all the time?).

Not necessarily. They can be disconnected when not necessary. Similar idea as to the electrically engaged wheel used for aircon pumps.

I don't know why Audi is going supercharged. They have kind of been the king of turbocharging (along with Porsche) for forever. Perhaps things in the engine bays are getting cramped enough that heat production is now a major issue. Perhaps controlling emissions on a turbocharged car is more difficult with emission laws these days (don't see why though). Or perhaps it is the market... people want big performance but instant throttle response as well, which is why modern turbo vehicles use tiny turbochargers as a mere assist on high compression engines which eventually means there's a limit to the amount of boost one can add without dropping the compression ratio further, which in turn leads to a more laggy response. Or maybe superchargers are more reliable.

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #790 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a real shame they're not updating the current model for a while, as a new interior, gearbox and some quality trim could really make it a world-class sports car for far less cash than anything else out there.

That's just it though, it's a great value because of the things it skimps on.

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #791 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by SinnerG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not necessarily. They can be disconnected when not necessary. Similar idea as to the electrically engaged wheel used for aircon pumps.

I don't know why Audi is going supercharged. They have kind of been the king of turbocharging (along with Porsche) for forever. Perhaps things in the engine bays are getting cramped enough that heat production is now a major issue. Perhaps controlling emissions on a turbocharged car is more difficult with emission laws these days (don't see why though). Or perhaps it is the market... people want big performance but instant throttle response as well, which is why modern turbo vehicles use tiny turbochargers as a mere assist on high compression engines which eventually means there's a limit to the amount of boost one can add without dropping the compression ratio further, which in turn leads to a more laggy response. Or maybe superchargers are more reliable.

I think what they want is a V6 which behaves like a V8, and for that you'd probably go the supercharger route.

Makes sense really for owners stepping up from the previous S8.

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #792 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by DNA Doc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had to smile at your interesting perspective. I am guessing you are well under 30 years old, and probably under 20?

You are correct in that it happens because people have the money, but for many people the truth is, they buy these so-called mid-life crisis toys around middle age simply because that is when they were best able to afford it. (Note, I did not write "purchase it"; I am talking about truly affording it.) My very good friend bought his Z06 last year at around age 39 only because he was finally able to pay cash for it at that time and not have any worries. It's simply smarter to not go into debt for a depreciating asset like a car, and for many people that takes a bit of working time.

As for feeling young again, that's often stated, but I don't buy it. Personally, my life now is nothing like it was when I was young, and for that I am extremely happy. I certainly did not purchase my own "mid-life crisis" car to capture any feelings from childhood, this I guarantee.

And as for your lemming comment- again, smart people buy when they can easily afford. Buying a nice car at around middle-age is no more acting like a lemming than buying your first car in your late teens, as so many here in the US do.
wink.gif

Nope. I'm 28.5. Honestly, the big reason I don't respect them at all is because people who drive camrys and other boring cars their whole life hit 40, then have the money to buy something cool, and so they blow it on a corvette. TRUE car enthusiasts, otoh, have usually been driving somewhat interesting cars their whole lives, and when they do come into money, they'll buy something unique, or build something themselves. They don't just walk into a dealership and blow it all on some expensive lame car.

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #793 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope. I'm 28.5. Honestly, the big reason I don't respect them at all is because people who drive camrys and other boring cars their whole life hit 40, then have the money to buy something cool, and so they blow it on a corvette. TRUE car enthusiasts, otoh, have usually been driving somewhat interesting cars their whole lives, and when they do come into money, they'll buy something unique, or build something themselves. They don't just walk into a dealership and blow it all on some expensive lame car.

Well, you've clarified your position somewhat, but I still think you should give the mid-lifers a break. True, many of us have been driving enthusiast cars throughout our lives at whatever price point we could afford at the time, but your disdain for those who have not seems misplaced. Perhaps some of them simply realized that while busy with other priorities, half of their life has slipped by, and now is the time?

I can tell you this: unless you know and understand the life circumstances of those people driving "camrys and other boring cars", you have no idea whether they are actually worthy of your respect or not.

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #794 of 1,511
Life is too short to drive something boring. I have no respect for people who buy beige cars and live in beige mcmansions while trying to climb ahead on the corporate ladder. None.

Feb 15, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #795 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by SinnerG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know why Audi is going supercharged. They have kind of been the king of turbocharging (along with Porsche) for forever. Perhaps things in the engine bays are getting cramped enough that heat production is now a major issue. Perhaps controlling emissions on a turbocharged car is more difficult with emission laws these days (don't see why though). Or perhaps it is the market...

Yeah, I'm not quite sure either. Apparently, using forced induction on a direct fuel-injected engine allows for a high amount of power with relatively low emissions and a fair amount of fuel efficiency. However, I still prefer turbos, particularly BMW's implementation with their 3.0l I6 TT found in the 135/335/535. Very conservatively rated at 300 HP, and when chipped can easily produce 370. I doubt you can do that with a supercharger
wink.gif
Plus, the 335i is faster than the S4 and is not even designed to compete with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back