The Car/Motorcycle/Motorsport/Anything fast enough to do something stupid in thread!
Feb 1, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #648 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruknd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad to see all the Audi fans...I guess I'll post my ride.

Uhm.... I hate you.
frown.gif
biggrin.gif
I've been trying for a decade to build my Audi. It's an oldskool 200. I envy people with such beautiful machinery from the Audi line.

Oh well, turns out the Audi 200 is the worst machine to pick for a project down here. Every part has to come from Europe or USA in order to either save costs or get the correct part.

Always thought that Audi's wagons actually looked like the only vehicle built as a complete wagon where the extended rear section was not an afterthought on a sedan.

I'm still going to get my RS2 someday. They are only $10,000-$17,000 these days.

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #649 of 1,511
kg21;5376891 said:
If you think about it, toyota currently only makes one car that is not a boring appliance(the Lexus ISF) and same with Honda(the S2000 which is one my favorite cars ever) and it hasn't been confirmed they are making another s2000 yet.
Civic SI? But yeah, new cars blow. Hence why I like older stuff. New stuff is just so fat, big, and heavy. No thanks.

Quote:

Most cars are created that way, including a lot of european cars too just different variations of getting from point A to B. Character and soul are different, like your accord has a ton of character to you because you've owned it and been through a lot with it but soul is not something that can be added later on with mods. I love my wrx and it has a lot of character but I wouldn't say it has "soul." Cars with soul is defined by italian cars, they are made to be special.

>rolls eyes< Okay, define soul for me then, and I'll let you know. In my eyes, my Subaru SVX has plenty, so does the accord, and the prelude. Not sure about my Acura yet, seems more like an appliance so far, but I don't drive it much.

Quote:

For example: The E92 M3 is awesome but even that has become purely about engineering, whereas the E30 M3 had more soul.

That is the dumbest explanation I've ever heard. How is the E30 NOT all about engineering? It WAS all about engineering, at the time it was built. But now that the new one has more power the old one gains more soul? What?

Quote:

On the other hand, I don't like Alfa romeo but out of non exotic sports cars they probably have the most soul. Of course italian cars fall apart so there is a trade off and cars can be special without soul (Sti, Evo, Skyline, etc.), for Japanese cars I would say complex performance engineering is what gives them their character.

What is this soul you speak of?

Quote:

Oh and P.S. it seems that you really like Honda but don't bring up suspension if you want to argue against bmw, they are probably the best out of all the major manufacturers. Porsche Lotus and Ferrari may be better but they don't exactly mass produce. Double wishbone suspension on mainstream cars was impressive but put it on a civic/accord and it's still a civic/accord, plus honda got rid of it because it cost too much.

BMW has a great supple feel, but they still lose to Honda's double wishbone suspension. In 1989, the Prelude Si with 4ws outslalomed EVERYTHING, every porsche, every BMW, ever ferrari, every lambo. This was with skinny 14" tires too. Imagine what mine can do, with 15" stickies, poly swaybar bushings, and aftermarket swaybars. It is absolutely insane in the way it handles, and I've driven both older and newer BMWs, even M versions. The prelude beats them all in handling and response. As for "it's still a civic or accord", you're just spouting your own ignorance. There's a reason that civic hatches are so popular at autocross events.

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #650 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruknd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad to see all the Audi fans...I guess I'll post my ride.

Nice ride!
Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #652 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by melomaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
n552339773_143194_1381.jpg

not mine - but I sure wish it was! sounds lovely...

For sure. Way classier than some 'roided up 911 in bright racing colors, IMHO.

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #654 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd want one of those as a replica. Classic styling, modern Subaru STi Boxer engine and 4WD...

Kind of takes the point out of it,really. The handling and sound of that car's flat 4 is what makes the 356 experience. They're fantastic cars when properly set up.

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #655 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd want one of those as a replica. Classic styling, modern Subaru STi Boxer engine and 4WD...

Agree 250%. You can build a replica with more power, more torque, more reliable, with cheaper parts than you can having an original. So what? Originals belong in museums. I want a car I can actually drive and enjoy. Turnkey versions start at like 20-25k or so. Way cooler than a miata, IMHO.

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #656 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree 250%. You can build a replica with more power, more torque, more reliable, with cheaper parts than you can having an original. So what? Originals belong in museums. I want a car I can actually drive and enjoy. Turnkey versions start at like 20-25k or so. Way cooler than a miata, IMHO.

Originals belong out on the road where they get to do what they were meant to do.

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #658 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K, you keep saving up then. >rolls eyes<

You needn't spend a fortune to buy a properly good classic. I enjoy your maturity.

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #660 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by 928GTS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Originals belong out on the road where they get to do what they were meant to do.

I second this philosophy.

However, I wouldn't keep a classic myself as anything more than a toy, and I think in many ways a replica gives you most of the joy of the original without the heart stopping repair bills and frustrations from breakdowns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back