The Car/Motorcycle/Motorsport/Anything fast enough to do something stupid in thread!
Jan 16, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #556 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure what to make of this: 2009 Tokyo Auto Salon: Blitz brings RWD, manual-equipped GT-R - Autoblog

Hey! I saw that Skyline the day before i bought my cans in HK
my cousins and i were like "absorb the moment"
but of course not that exact one
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #559 of 1,511
Jan 17, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #560 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly no, been looking at used elise's since last year..now it's just out of habit. looks like a barrel of fun to drive though!

you?

Yep. Got a ride a few years ago. Great driving car, but getting in and our is somewhat of an exercise in flexibility, and I'm a normal fairly thin guy.

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #563 of 1,511
May be a bit off-topic, but does anyone know if it's possible to fix a rock chip in a heated windshield?
I've been to a couple shops and they won't even touch the car. I have a hard time believing anybody would make a $1000 windshield that can't be repaired... anybody know of an avenue to take in this case?

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #564 of 1,511
Wait... heated windshield? Like with little lines in it? What kind of car? Why won't existing chip fixes work with it? Seems like you'd just put the stuff in the chip, let it cure, and polish it down like everything else.

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #565 of 1,511
Yes, lines like a rear window but much smaller, on the range rover it looks like very fine hairs zig-zagging down the windshield about 1/2cm apart.
One would think it would be an easy fix like you mentioned. I can see breaking a couple lines and losing heating to a strip of the windshield, but that's no big deal. The guys at the shop thought they might short the windshield and blow up the car's electrical system (isn't that what a fuse is for?). Maybe they were just trying to sell me a new windshield...
If no one will do it, I'm tempted to just try the fix myself with one of those kits.

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #566 of 1,511
Get a kit, do it yourself. Those little lines are probably either IN the glass, or on the inside, and the rock chip is on the outside.

Jan 21, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #567 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly no, been looking at used elise's since last year..now it's just out of habit. looks like a barrel of fun to drive though! you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep. Got a ride a few years ago. Great driving car, but getting in and our is somewhat of an exercise in flexibility, and I'm a normal fairly thin guy.

This is true, especially with the hardtop on, but you eventually get a technique down and it becomes fairly routine. bhd812, if you find yourself in NJ, and would still like to check one out, PM me.

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #568 of 1,511
I'm in Hk at the moment, and the amount of nice cars here is impressive. The general traffic pattern seems to be taxi, taxi, merc S-class, taxi.....

One parking lot for an apartment had a G55, Exige, 911 and Ferrari 575. Drool.....

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #569 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um, get a headunit with aux-in or iPod connectivity, then get a 160GB classic, fill it with music and put it on random for the rest of its life.

um, no, 160 gig isn't going to keep me interested for the life of an iPod: after a month or so I'll certainly change, sometimes only a tweak, sometimes a complete switch. but yes, I did get a new mini-mini for the Aux in for iPod-driving... yet the Satellite radio gets 70% or car listening time. iPods when walking or flying, better rigs when sitting down at home or at work...

Jan 23, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #570 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, lines like a rear window but much smaller, on the range rover it looks like very fine hairs zig-zagging down the windshield about 1/2cm apart.
One would think it would be an easy fix like you mentioned. I can see breaking a couple lines and losing heating to a strip of the windshield, but that's no big deal. The guys at the shop thought they might short the windshield and blow up the car's electrical system (isn't that what a fuse is for?). Maybe they were just trying to sell me a new windshield...
If no one will do it, I'm tempted to just try the fix myself with one of those kits.

matters how those little lines are run. If run in series you break one and from there on out will not work on the heating. Also even with the fuse there if you eff up and somehow ground it out and any amps get to that ECU... say bye bye... If i recall from the drunken hangover i normally had through the electrical class i had it can back route through a way the fuse was not. Like ground to some other electrical component that didnt have a fuse on it and that then went to the ECU. I'd put money on the fact they kinda wanted to sell you a new windshield and that the heating might be done in series where if during said fix they break some lines it could make the heated part of the windshield useless and then they'd have to pay to replace as they broke it.

*edit* good news is it seems the driver and passenger side are split to two diff circuits so worst that happens from fixing the rock chip is breaking the heated glass on just the side of the chip...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back