The Car/Motorcycle/Motorsport/Anything fast enough to do something stupid in thread!
Nov 24, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #151 of 1,511
Try a rally car
tongue.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #152 of 1,511
I seriously want to!
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #153 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sequential Gearbox..
wink.gif

No need to activate the clutch, just go lightly of the gas and snap it into the next gear. Much faster than a regular H gearbox.

Depending on application and driver, true manual can almost as fast as the sequential gearboxes.

Observe:
YouTube - Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher Compare at Suzuka

Am I the only person who thinks true manual is the real gearbox choice for real men?

And the crappy-ass tiptronic is just incredibly lame, such a waste of money.

Some of the comments here are just .... so funny
beerchug.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #154 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depending on application and driver, true manual can almost as fast as the sequential gearboxes.

Observe:
YouTube - Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher Compare at Suzuka

Am I the only person who thinks true manual is the real gearbox choice for real men?

And the crappy-ass tiptronic is just incredibly lame, such a waste of money.

Some of the comments here are just .... so funny
beerchug.gif

i like the idea of an actual stick and physically movin it, quick off and on the clutch, more to do, more fun

yeah i agree
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #155 of 1,511
I agree. Manual over tiptronic, but then again I've never tried a tiptronic or similar. Manual seems just much more fun and let's not forget the extra bit of control one gets with getting to play with engine braking, etc. That's something you leave up to the computers on a tiptronic. :p

They have an older original Jordan here (can't remember who was the original F1 driver), but the plan is to run another motorcycle engine (they pulled out a ZX9-R engine) somehow slapped onto a Porsche tiptronic until another old Hart V10 is sourced (along with a crew to even try and maintain such an engine). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the person doing this needs to be thinking when mating those 2 components because the Porsche 'box is... well... all reverse gears.
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #156 of 1,511
Quote:

Yeah, almost...
tongue.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #157 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, almost...
tongue.gif

Yea, Almost but not "much faster" because that's not necessarily true.

Check out "Smokey Nagata", he's perhaps the fastest shifter in the world. It's pretty much safe to say that he can shift ASfast F1 hydraulic sequential gearboxes. He is also the only person I know of who can precisely shift without even touching the clutch and that is only possible when you have practiced enough to know when to shift when you that split-second spot where the gear jerks out a little when hitting red-line.

And also, whoever thinks drifting is "gay" is a complete moron. Drifting is one of the greatest techniques in motorsports.

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #158 of 1,511
Quote:

Yea, Almost but not "much faster" because that's not necessarily true.

Check out "Smokey Nagata", he's perhaps the fastest shifter in the world. It's pretty much safe to say that he can shift ASfast F1 hydraulic sequential gearboxes. He is also the only person I know of who can precisely shift without even touching the clutch and that is only possible when you have practiced enough to know when to shift when you that split-second spot where the gear jerks out a little when hitting red-line.

And also, whoever thinks drifting is "gay" is a complete moron. Drifting is one of the greatest techniques in motorsports.

A lot of people can shift without using the clutch,it just takes a bit of practice. Its about learning the sense of when the car feels like it "wants" to shift,the concept of rev matching and such.

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #159 of 1,511
You guys should try my ****ty VW mk1 Golf... I can get the shifter ready for the next gear without disengaging the currently selected one.
biggrin.gif
Mental note 1: fix shifter. Mental note 2: scratch that.

Nov 26, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #161 of 1,511
LOL
biggrin.gif
It isn't that old.
biggrin.gif
A 2006 model believe it or not. It's the mainstay of cheap daily-driver motoring over here.

Nov 26, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #162 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, tasty.

Is this not one of the coolest things ever: VIDEO: Supercars make charity toy run in L.A. - Autoblog

The dude in the all black Atom at 0:48 in the video is a friend of mine. He's called the Masked Spaz! Mr. Woolery is his real name. Really cool guy to hang out with. He was part of the California contingent that we met up with in Reno this summer for a track day.

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #163 of 1,511
I've got a Tiptronic in my Legacy. While it is more fun than just sticking it in Drive, it's no substitute for a proper manual gearbox. I love how much more involved it feels when using a clutch and directly manipulating the gears. Ideally though, I'd have a proper sequential gearbox, with a manual clutch. That way, you've got the control you get with the clutch, plus no worry about missing a shift once you get going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back