The Car/Motorcycle/Motorsport/Anything fast enough to do something stupid in thread!
Sep 21, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #1,426 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hate to dampen your post, but Gemballa really dropped the ball on this one. I don't care if it goes like stink, that looks like balls (
biggrin.gif
). I'd take a stock -anytrim- 911 over that any day.

Our taste clearly differ. Fine!
o2smile.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #1,427 of 1,511
My daily beater. It doesn't have a lot of horsepower but it has the balls of a lion:

TwoBrothers1.jpg

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #1,431 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy mother of god that is sweet looking.

Yup! Its beautiful. Excellent choice for rims too. No "ricer tuning" look you often see in these new musclecars, but a very traditional american rim-style.

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #1,433 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by darcyb62 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.
Rims are stock. The only mods are the shorty antenna and the flush rear window louvers although I am considering dropping a supercharger in.

Stock? I thought Mustang came with flat-poled rims on stock, and "Bullit" round-poled rims are aftermarket?

Well, it doesnt matter, they look good. For upgrade, similar looking rims that spread outside would look even better.

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #1,434 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stock? I thought Mustang came with flat-poled rims on stock, and "Bullit" round-poled rims are aftermarket?

Well, it doesnt matter, they look good. For upgrade, similar looking rims that spread outside would look even better.

Ahhh.... You are on to something.

It's a 2008 Bullitt edition. Only 7700 were made.

Basically they took a GT and dummied down the exterior (i.e. badging is gone, fog lights are gone, spoiler, etc). Anybody that knows a little bit about mustangs would dismiss it as V6 stang.

Then they did a bit of rework on the engine to bring horsepower and torque up. Exhaust has been tuned to sound like the original movie car. They then dropped in a 3.73 rear end and did some work on the suspension. A number of cosmetic changes were made to the interior. The dash is spun aluminum and the seats are from the GT500.

I had a 2005 Mustang GT and with the the changes they made it is a much better car. All these mechanical changes made it to the 2010 Mustang GT but you need to get the optional track packs to have them all.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #1,435 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just started wind tunnel testing to day for our 2009 F-SAE car. My head now hurts from being blown at by a 60kph wind all day.

Does a F-SAE car even get to that speed? Or were you just testing forces?

On another note:
I'm suprised no one figured out that it was a Bullitt sooner.
biggrin.gif

So, darcyb62, what supercharger are you thinking of dropping in?

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #1,437 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My daily beater. It doesn't have a lot of horsepower but it has the balls of a lion:

TwoBrothers1.jpg

What do you mean that ZX-14 doesn't have a lot of horsepower? 187 HP is not enough for you?
eek.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #1,438 of 1,511
Awww what? CN11 is banned? I needed to know which octane programs to get loaded in my R
frown.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #1,439 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by zx10guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean that ZX-14 doesn't have a lot of horsepower? 187 HP is not enough for you?
eek.gif
confused_face_2.gif

That's at the rear wheel. I think total output is 202 hp. Top speed of about 220 mph. But then again, you knew that.

I was totally being sarcastic, that's why I called it my "daily beater".

The ZX-10 and the ZX-14 are bikes that only people who can withstand the G-Force of an F-17, besides craving and enjoying it. But, isn't that what this thread is all about?

beerchug.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #1,440 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by Planar_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does a F-SAE car even get to that speed? Or were you just testing forces?

On another note:
I'm suprised no one figured out that it was a Bullitt sooner.
biggrin.gif

So, darcyb62, what supercharger are you thinking of dropping in?

Our car's top speed is around 150kph, so yeah, it is useful to have.

We compete in hillclimbs at the end of the year after F-SAE comp, so the aero package works very well there. Our team is regularly one of the top-runners at these events, beating out other formula cars with much more powerful engines and more expensive components.

From wind tunnel testing:

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

The rig's a bit ghetto, but it works well enough for the data to be valid. Final endplates will, obviously, not be made from MDF panels. And there'll be a rear wing mount actually going to the car :p. That is the actual chassis though on the rig though.

Figures suggest this year's aero package should kick ass
cool.gif
Compared to last year, this year's package has much more downforce and little more drag. In freestream tests (ie Wings only) we were getting some comparatively insane numbers.

There's a big debate on whether aero packs should run on F-SAE cars. From my perspective, I think its an interesting technical exercise and I see no reason why NOT to run one if you can make it work well. We're pretty lucky in that we can run CFD to come up with a reasonable approximation, then verify the data in a wind tunnel with the actual car.

Since we're not running insanely fast, drag isn't as big of an issue as you'd believe.

There are bit and pieces of bodywork missing on the car atm. Also, the nosecone is messed because the actual 2009 one couldnt' be made up in time, so we're using an old nosecone hacked up to fit reasonably well. Results should, obviously, improve with the final 09 nosecone since its much narrower and encloses more of the nose structure.

At the end of the day, F-SAE is a great techincal exercise, and really teaches us stuff that normal engineering students would never know. Unlike them, we actually see where all our class theories come into play in a real engineering exercise, and its very rewarding if you're willing to put the hard work in.
Throughtout the last 3 days, I've only had about 6 hours of sleep total thanks to the crapload of stuff that needs to be prepared for testing, but after a long sleep you wake up and look back at it as a rewarding experience.

I highly suggest anyone here that does engineering to join their uni's F-SAE team. You won't regret it one bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back